2016 WeatherTech SportsCar ChampionshipSports Cars 

• Thread starter Northstar
  • 4,512 comments
Dammit, I'm finding more & more compelling reasons to get on Twitter. This is not supposed to happen.

In a way, the newer Ford GT does kind of seem like the GT1 of the mid-late 1990s. Or maybe even the former FIA GT1 World Championship. I felt like I completely missed out on mid-late 1990s sportscar racing to begin with. That's why I was pleased to follow the former American Le Mans Series back in 1999. The Ford GT hasn't run a single official race this year, and it already has been mind-blowing. Surely can't wait for the new season to start.

I'm probably one of the few that will greatly miss the DPs when they're gone. I'm also one of the few who thinks the new Ford GT is boring as a loaf of bread. :)

Can't wait to see the results though of the new DPi or whatever planned for the LMP2/Prototype bit.

Dammit, I'm finding more & more compelling reasons to get on Twitter. This is not supposed to happen.
I was inspired to win the hat, that finally pushed me over the social media edge.
I'm also one of the few who thinks the new Ford GT is boring as a loaf of bread. :)
I believe the new GT is better looking than it's predecessor.

Others may as well.

The Ford GTE is a very crazy looking car. The old Riley bodywork looks it's age now on the stock DP's.

As much as the whole DP/LMP2 debacle has been annoying, I'm going to miss prototype's with big NA V8's in them. :( The Dallara/Coyote chassis may be a tube frame prototype, but man I'll miss the V8's trying to win overall. I just didn't realize it until I remembered that this would be the last year of DP's. Hopefully Chevy sticks their V8 in an LMP2. O_O

Yeah..to me the DP's are a sign of the past, but I dig them. Loud, obnoxious, all horsepower/tires and minimal aera. Very much a kind of Group C by today's standards. It'll be sad to see them go. When they're competitive man the racing is damn good.

Well, over time, Daytona Prototypes started looking better and being better performers. In earlier times, I called them "glorified GTPs." I later began to appreciate and like them as much as I have anything else. What I will say was perhaps something that could have been done and perfected long ago is when the Corvette DPs came along. There maybe could have been more DPs of certain cars. Like, could you imagine maybe if (for example) Toyota/Lexus made a DP of the IS-F or even the LFA? The main thing to me about the DPs were simply to give the former Grand-Am its identity aside from the former American Le Mans Series.

Love or loathe Daytona Prototypes, they were fairly good race cars for what they were and how they performed. Even including the lone GT-spec Porsche that upset all of the Daytona Prototypes at the 2003 24 Hours of Daytona for the outright win.

I tend to think of the Daytona Prototypes as a sort of strange mix between Group C and Trans Am. A combination of simplicity and just raw power.

Been saying this since day one but I really hope the Deltawing spends the rest of the season fighting for the top spot. They're slowly making the car better and faster each season. I can't wait till they have it completely dialed in. I'd love to see them run a 2 car team one day too.

Been saying this since day one but I really hope the Deltawing spends the rest of the season fighting for the top spot. They're slowly making the car better and faster each season. I can't wait till they have it completely dialed in. I'd love to see them run a 2 car team one day too.
Last year for the rocket car as a P car. They're contemplating an electric GT (if that actually goes through...or unless they've changed their minds).

Last year for the rocket car as a P car. They're contemplating an electric GT (if that actually goes through...or unless they've changed their minds).
I believe they planned on running both a P car and a GT car.

I mean this year is looking good for DW. The car looks competitive and reliable(knocking on wood) I really hope these guys can come through. I'm a really big fan of radical designs and how much more radical does it get?

"Group C and Trans-Am" is a unique way to look at the Daytona Prototypes. I like that description, RACECAR. I love both Group C sportscars and Trans-Am.

As for the DeltaWing, I've always respected DeltaWing as a motorsports enthusiast. For it to surprise some folks will be very cool. I've seen DeltaWing more as a design study and an experiment, but it doesn't mean it is incapable of winning races. What are the chances DeltaWing wins Daytona? Less than 1% to me. The only way I say it has no chance is if it was disqualified or ineligible to win for whatever reason.

So with all the testing...how did the P2s fare in general against the DP? Did they all get a power boost to be competitive or will this be a broken class again this year?

The class should be far more balanced this year if the P2s can be reliable. P as a whole has had a far tighter time spread this year than it has had in the past couple seasons.

I'd love that to be the case...as much as I love DPs the integration was garbage and the P2s were hopeless. I'd love to see them compete, granted I understand certain tracks will favor others.

I gave up trying to watch any of this live a while ago...I know it's not ideal (particularly since you have to avoid the news/forums) but I just watch them after the fact on YouTube in HD sans commercials. :(

The crappy TV deals that most series' have is the main reason a good chunk of my racing interest has turned towards European series. Most of them seem to be more current and offer streaming of some sort, even if it is paid like the WEC stream (Le Mans last year has convinced me to buy the full season this year).

It really is a shame though as there is alot of good racing here in the states, but I can't justify paying $80/month for a cable/satellite package.

Back