Are transfer fees out of control?

• Yes

• No

• Undecided

• Other Opinion

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting news coming out of Newcastle, A Chinese consortium is apparently interested trying to buy the club....

What's happening to the League Cup?!, I've heard its moving to Thailand or something....

Andre Silva joins AC Milan. They look like challenging Juve for the title at this rate, so much talent recruited within the space of 2 weeks.

@88GTA
:D Is it the 2017/2018 Serie A season yet? They are a long way from the title but a top 3 and a deep Europa League run looks like a possibility.

On the Juve front, they are supposedly signing Szczesny to be their future keeper with Buffon leaving after next season.

Not really. The bulk of the money came from television rights and, very specifically, overseas television rights.

The Premier League has very successfully marketed itself as the best/most exciting league in the world (which it isn't, but that's for another day) and people in countries across the world want to watch it, so the rights to the games are sold for huge money to broadcasters who will then charge a decent sum for syndication.

The Bundesliga has not.

I know exactly where to watch a Premier League game if I choose to. I honestly couldn't tell you where I could watch a Bundesliga game. Or a Serie A game. Or even a La Liga game (I think... think that Sky has some, but it might be BT Sport). The new TV deal for the Bundesliga might change that.

To be honest, I hope something knocks the Premier League off its wealthy pedestal, because the national team is dying on its arse while clubs are routinely spending £40m without thinking about it on five-year old French strikers who had a reasonable season playing against 12 teams I've never heard of in the Surinam Third Division instead of bringing English players through - and our lower league game is being slowly throttled to death.
BTSport show Serie A, Bundesliga, French and Portuguese leagues too. As well as the Brazilian Serie A. Dutch too iirc.

AC Milan looking to shape up. Signing Musacchio, Kessie and Rodriguez. Reports also suggests bids for Keita, Biglia and Belotti. With Diego Costa coming into question as he is set to leave Chelsea.

Arsenal complete the signing Kolasinac who in my opinion is one the best LB/LWB's in Europe.

Allegri and Jardim have signed contract extensions.

Andre Silva joins AC Milan. They look like challenging Juve for the title at this rate, so much talent recruited within the space of 2 weeks.

@88GTA
You could get a job as an Italian sports journalist. Milan ain't getting nowhere near a title challenge. They're signing many players who have been hyped upped literally after one or 2 games (Napoli, Roma and everyones Nonna were gonna break the bank to sign Kessie after one game), Keita has talant and still pretty young, but it's really has to step up a level now as he isn't good enough long enough. Lazio have had the best out of Biglia so I'm not expecting great things from him. Conti is promising so that's a good signing, but the most Milan can hope for realistically is top 4 and maybe 3rd spot if they have a good team spirit.

I highly doubt they will get Belotti unless they have a 100 mil to put down, a lot of money but worth it considering how Milan just keep blowing money on average players. Inter are in a much better spot, but they're generally a mess.

They're signing many players who have been hyped upped literally after one or 2 games (Napoli, Roma and everyones Nonna were gonna break the bank to sign Kessie after one game), Keita has talant and still pretty young, but it's really has to step up a level now as he isn't good enough long enough.
Ok, lets take a look at AC Milan's recent signings.....

Ricardo Rodriguez who has been literally monitored by nearly every top team in Europe. He's 24 years old who broke into the Wolfsburg first team team when he was 20 plus being in the Bundesliga Team of the Season for 2 seasons where he would be beat the likes of Alaba, Schmelzer and Hector to that spot. So he is hardly hyped up when he has proven himself in what would be regarded as one of the best leagues.

Keita managed to grab 16 goals this season while playing out of his natural position and he has bags of experience in the Serie A as he broke into senior team of Lazio at the age of 18 and will eventually grow into a top player plus being very versatile in every attacking role which would suit Milan's tactics.

Andre Silva who scored 16 goals this season and as we all know the Liga (Portuguese / NOS) being a proving ground for future World Class players plus grabbing another 4 in the Champions league while playing in a weak Porto team and he has already cemented the striker role in Portuguese national team grabbing 7 goals in 8 games and being regarded as one of the best future talents out there.

Remember Kessie is only out on loan for 2 years but what he has shown already at his age, we could see ourselves another Yaya Toure but in his prime and Milan's midfield has been their Achilles heel this season so this signing was much needed.

So these players are no way hyped up in your imaginary 'one or two games' but like we had this discussion before you just over-exaggerate with no foundation to your points, no surprises there....

but the most Milan can hope for realistically is top 4 and maybe 3rd spot if they have a good team spirit.
Last season the points difference between Juve and Napoli was only 5 points which would mean you have just contradicted your first point. And I would presume it is more than just 'good team spirit' if Milan was to get to 3rd but maybe its down to their new signings which you regard as 'hyped upped'.

So the EFL cup/League Cup has a new sponsor and its Carabao Energy drinks, from this season it will be called the Carabao Cup and the first round draw will take place in Bangkok, this is what I was eluding to earlier.

Everton have agreed a fee with Sunderland for Jordan Pickford, though to be £30 million! :crazy:

The Premier League fixtures come out tomorrow, there will changes made to the usual kickoff times including 22 11.30am Sunday kickoffs and Saturday night games are being discussed.

So in the France-England game on now video assistants are being used, at the start of the second half Varane looked like he brought Alli down in the box, Ref called for a penalty and then called on his video assistants for help, this took around 20 seconds, after which he gave Varane a straight red and the penalty for England, it looked like it was very harsh as there was minimal contact...

Kane scored from the spot to make it 2-2, which is the current score.

The Premier League fixtures come out tomorrow, there will changes made to the usual kickoff times including 22 11.30am Sunday kickoffs and Saturday night games are being discussed.
Saturday night games won't happen this season. They would be part of the next TV deal which comes in for 2019/20 I believe.

I just started a thread for the Confederations Cup which starts this Saturday so you would check that out then it would be greatly appreciated. 👍

I was going to start a thread for the Euro U21 Championship which also starts this weekend but the last thread for that tournament didn't really drum up a lot of interest so I think ill leave it for now..

I
I just started a thread for the Confederations Cup which starts this Saturday so you would check that out then it would be greatly appreciated. 👍

I was going to start a thread for the Euro U21 Championship which also starts this weekend but the last thread for that tournament didn't really drum up a lot of interest so I think ill leave it for now..
I think I followed it last time and yeah I don't recall it getting many likes. I think that's the problem outside of the prem/champions league/world cup/euros people just aren't going to follow it as much.

@m8h3r It was just you and me on the Euro thread and its only a page long, the Confederations Cup thread I did was seven pages for a two week tournament!

No real surprise about Puel, he wasn't great despite the Wembley final.

@m8h3r It was just you and me on the Euro thread and its only a page long, the Confederations Cup thread I did was seven pages for a two week tournament!

No real surprise about Puel, he wasn't great despite the Wembley final.
Top 8 and a Cup Final. It's a results business and the results went his way. Annoyingly, it seems other factors had a play and other fans' animosity seemed to be one of them.

In other news Lindelof to Man United has been completed, good move which I'm happy with 👍

Leicester reportedly sign Harry Maguire from Hull and Everton have signed Jordan Pickford for £30 million, which is insane!

Everton have signed Jordan Pickford for £30 million, which is insane!
Pickford and Defoe were the difference between Sunderland going down in April and Sunderland going down in February.

Leeds are apparently set to sign Thomas Christiansen as the next man to be sacked by the board. He used to manage Apoel Nicosia...

Yeah but Pickford is now the third most expensive Keeper in history and cost roughly 10-12 million more than De Gea...

Harry Maguire is done, £17 million which again a bit much!

Yeah but Pickford is now the third most expensive Keeper in history and cost roughly 10-12 million more than De Gea...
Last season Pickford made 125 saves in 29 games (4.31/game). Sunderland conceded 50 goals with him in goal (1.72/game), which means he has a shots saved percentage of 71.4%. They also conceded 19 goals without him (2.11/game).

De Gea made 74 saves in 35 games (2.11/game). Manchester United conceded 29 goals with him in goal (0.828/game), which means he has a shots saved percentage of 71.8%. They also conceded 0 goals without him (0.00/game).

Those stats to me say that De Gea is a slightly better goalkeeper on a shot-to-shot basis, but faced significantly fewer shots - making Pickford more reliable. He also quite clearly added value to the Sunderland team (Mannone made more saves per game - 41 saves in 9 games [4.55/game] - but has a worse shots saved percentage of 68.3%) - as De Gea does to Manchester United (the fact they conceded none when he wasn't playing, for 3 games, is relatively meaningless).

He's a great young keeper, and it's a solid signing.

I'm not doubting his abilities, he definitely is a great young keeper, but the price is a bit ridiculous, and I know that's a bit rich coming from someone whose team spent £89 million on a player last summer.

Yeah just heard about that, 80k a week he turned down at the age of 18. :indiff:

I'm not doubting his abilities, he definitely is a great young keeper, but the price is a bit ridiculous, and I know that's a bit rich coming from someone whose team spent £89 million on a player last summer.

That's what you get when silly money enters the game.

Edit.

Everton paid €30 million for Klaassen. Gonna miss my neighbour.

Niang is set for a move to Everton as well, 19 million Euro if I remember right. Hopefully Milan can convince Everton to keep Deulofeu in Italy by the end of this month.

In the Donnarumma aftermath, Milan have announced that he will not play for the team next season and they will refuse to sell him. They will also sell any player using Donnarumma's agent, Mino Raiola, which is currently Giac Bonaventura and Abate. Those players have to either switch to a new agent or leave the team.

Ronaldo might be leaving Real for a club in France or England, because of his alleged tax dodging.

All kicking off today with Ronaldo and also the Conte rumours.

Though if any of it goes anywhere is another matter. Ronaldo will probably end up signing a nice new contract.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Posts

Back