Are transfer fees out of control?

• Yes

• No

• Undecided

• Other Opinion

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I've heard Ronaldo's release clause is £875 million!!

He's a great young keeper, and it's a solid signing.

Unquestionably. But £30 million for a player who has only just made the first-team? It's steep. One can only hope he doesn't flop.

As for Ronaldo, isn't it awfully suspicious to go "I don't like being accused of tax evasion so I'm moving somewhere else"? If he is as innocent as he says he is then he has nothing to worry about and the case will be dismissed.

No surprise that like just a few weeks ago, an "unnamed club" is willing to pay big money for him so that he has Madrid over a barrel. Is Messi's latest megabucks deal making his skin itch?

The opening game of the Euro U21 tournament was a 0-0 between the reigning champs Sweden and England, Pickford made a double save from a Sweden penalty in that one, the other game in the group finished Poland 1-2 Slovakia.

Today its Portugal v Serbia and Spain v debutants Macedonia.

I think Pickford will be a good transfer for 30 million. Has been excellent since becoming Sunderland number 1 and is still only 23.

The goalkeepers market stagnated for years as Buffon was still the most expensive coming into this summer.(was that 16 years?) and I believe that 30 million will prove to be a fair price for a key of Pickford's quality. He is also a level above what Robles and Steklenberg showed last season.

Spain hammered Macedonia 5-0 with a hat-trick from Asensio, Spain have got a seriously good U21 squad!

Portugal comfortably beat Serbia 2-0, Renato Sanches, who was voted best young player at last Summer's Euros, came off the bench to get the opening goal.

The IFAB looking at the following changes to the laws of the game:

30 minute halves with a stopped clock
All penalties are shootout penalties; that is, it is either scored or saved with no rebounds
Straight red card for handballing the ball into the net (Attacking)
Straight red card for handballing the ball away from the net (Defending)
In the latter case, the referee can award a sort of 'penalty goal' if he judges it to have been close enough
Being able to dribble from free-kicks and corners

Thoughts? I'd rather have 45 mins with a stopped clock, to be honest.

In the latter case, the referee can award a sort of 'penalty goal' if he judges it to have been close enough
That kinda dumps on the 'double jeopardy' guideline though, where teams shouldn't be given two game-changing punishments for the same offence.

That kinda dumps on the 'double jeopardy' guideline though, where teams shouldn't be given two game-changing punishments for the same offence.
I would question if it was even punishment if the goal wasn't able to be saved without the use of hands, if it possibly could be then I think a Penalty would suffice.

I know in Rugby League if you stop a try by using a tactic that would be a penalty while it is in the try zone the victims team gets a Penalty try, it seems pretty fair given it's cheating.

The IFAB looking at the following changes to the laws of the game:

30 minute halves with a stopped clock
All penalties are shootout penalties; that is, it is either scored or saved with no rebounds
Straight red card for handballing the ball into the net (Attacking)
Being able to dribble from free-kicks and corners

Thoughts? I'd rather have 45 mins with a stopped clock, to be honest.

Yet again more stupid proposed changes because refs don't enforce rules properly, time wasting would not exist if more time was added on and players booked for it, as is supposed to happen.

Only the penalty goal is a good idea, I don't even care if a cheater is still red carded for it either, as if they are not you'll still get players trying it as they might get away with it. Of course if a video ref was allowed to alert refs to all this clear cheating they'd be no need for a red card but of course you'll get the mess the video system (currently on trial) is at the moment.

Last edited:
Yet again more stupid proposed changes because refs don't enforce rules properly, time wasting would not exist if more time was added on and players booked for it, as is supposed to happen.

Added time is horrendous and no-one is happy. If there was a stopped clock you could time waste as much as you want without affecting the playing time; you're still playing 90 minutes whether you want to wind the clock down because you have a narrow 1-0 lead or not.

Stop the clock, actually play for 90 minutes, eliminate time wasting as a method of preventing play and book people who are still too slow. Easy.

Added time is horrendous and no-one is happy. If there was a stopped clock you could time waste as much as you want without affecting the playing time; you're still playing 90 minutes whether you want to wind the clock down because you have a narrow 1-0 lead or not.

Stop the clock, actually play for 90 minutes, eliminate time wasting as a method of preventing play and book people who are still too slow. Easy.

Either works, but of course these idiots also want to reduce the game to 60 minutes for no real reason if they implement this idea and that is an issue for me.

I'd also counter that "added time" is only bad because of how it's implemented, the score line plays a part more than anything (bar a serious injury) as it is and not actually anything that wastes the time It also seems to go up and down from a 4 minute base these days too for some reason. I would also not allow any subs in this added time since this is the main way to exploit time wasting.

Maybe the best solution is to stop the clock for major events, injuries, cards, goal celebrations, subs and even penalty kicks whilst allowing the clock to run on goal kicks, throws, free kicks and so on, only stopping it if someone starts to time waste, and always booking the time waster of course.

but of course these idiots

I'm guessing that this so called work group was created to keep some has-beens busy. One of them is Marco van Basten. One of the greatest footballers ever, but failing miserably in everything else.

Slovakia v England in the Under 21s in a bit, the match between Denmark and Italy was stopped in the second half after some fake money was thrown on the pitch at Donnarumma's goal, there was also a banner which had 'Dolla-rumma' on it.

We're all hoping Donnarumma leaves just for the headlines right?
Mine would be "Donnarumma done a runner"

England came from behind to win 1-2 to still at the top of the group. Mawson and Redmond with the goals.

Jose Mourinho is being accused of tax fraud from his time as Real boss in Spain, he is accused of defrauding the government of £2.9 million, what is it with Footballers/Managers getting in to trouble with the tax men there?!

I've heard of tax havens but is Spain some kind of tax collander?

DiMaria has been fined €2 million for tax dodging. In Spain. He also received a 1.5 year prison sentence but because it less than 2 year he doesn't have to actually go to jail.

Edit

This may not come as a surprise but Ronaldo apparently doesn't have any intentions to leave Real.

Lewandowski doesn't want to leave Bayern either after reports that he does because he's upset/wants more money, apparently Man United and Chelsea have already talked to him.

Slovakia v England in the Under 21s in a bit, the match between Denmark and Italy was stopped in the second half after some fake money was thrown on the pitch at Donnarumma's goal, there was also a banner which had 'Dolla-rumma' on it.
I wonder if those fans feel justified after today's performance. :P

Says the guy who had a bet on Italy to win to nil. :/

Yeah surprise result tonight with the Czechs beating Italy 3-1, Germany beat Denmark 3-0 in the other game.

Big game for England in the Under 21's tonight, a win against hosts Poland will surely see them top the group.

Apparently Peter Schmeichel has Urged Manchester United to sign Kasper as replacement for De Gea, costing 50 million!

Liverpool completed the Salah deal last night, £30 mill rising to £35 mill, he will wear the number 11 shirt with Firmino switching to the number 9.

Reading stuff on Twitter earlier that United have agreed a deal with Chelsea for Namanja Matic?!

Do Liverpool realise that Salah, Firmino, Coutinho & Mane all play in roughly the same position?

Looks like all the proceeds from the Community Shield in August will go to the Grenfall fund (don't know the official name of it), all parties have agreed to it, it could be as much as £1.25 million. 👍

Frank De Boer is new Crystal Palace boss on a three and a half year deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Posts

Back