Are transfer fees out of control?

• Yes

• No

• Undecided

• Other Opinion

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
What's actually going on at Everton? Ignoring the fact that Lukaku has gone, as he's been leaving since about January, here's who they've signed just in this transfer window:

GK - Jordan Pickford - £30m, Sunderland
CB - Michael Keane - £30m, Burnley
MF - Davy Klaasen - £24m, Ajax
(FW - Henry Onyekuru - £7m, Eupen)
FW - Sandro Ramirez - £5.2m, Malaga
FW - Wayne Rooney - Free, Manchester United

And they've still got Leighton Baines, Ross Barkley, Aaron Lennon, Kevin Mirallas, Phil Jagielka... And they've got them all in before pre-season starts properly.

Could be a decent season for them. Any money on Everton finishing above Liverpool? :D
I predict a Top 5 finish for Everton if the matches find their players in good form.

Chelsea are supposedly close to signing Bakayoko, they signed Rudgier yesterday for £34 million.

Diego Costa hasn't travelled with them on their Far East tour...

Could be a decent season for them. Any money on Everton finishing above Liverpool? :D

They should have a really good season and they are now reportedly going after Benteke as a Lukaku replacement. They unfortunately lost Deulofeu to Barcelona because of his buy-back clause, although they made 12 million Euro from the move.

Chelsea are supposedly close to signing Bakayoko, they signed Rudgier yesterday for £34 million.

Diego Costa hasn't travelled with them on their Far East tour...

Chelsea have reportedly bid £62 million for Morata as well.

James Rodriguez has signed a 2 year loan deal with Bayern Munchen, with option to buy.

I think this is good for his career. Hopefully he will come back to Madrid on top of his form.

Donnarumma has finally extended his contract at Milan until 2021. He will still probably leave in a year or two but his release clause is rumored to be around 70 million Euro (potentially less if the team fail to qualify for the Champion's League). Either way, I look forward to at least one more season of this:

tumblr_ofvcg2PhWH1tf8a5ao1_500.gif

Michael Carrick named as new United club captain.

Well deserved. 👍

Pre-season stuff starts tonight with a few PL clubs either taking on teams in Europe or Lower league teams, Liverpool take on Tranmere, West Brom face Young Boys of Switzerland and Stoke face Slavia Prague, The Premier League Asia Trophy starts this weekend with Liverpool v Palace and the International Champions Cup gets started soon too.

When I said pre-season then I mentioned some Premier League teams should be evident that I meant Premier League teams...

When I said pre-season then I mentioned some Premier League teams should be evident that I meant Premier League teams...
You also mentioned lower league teams, so it should be evident that you didn't mean just Premier League teams:
Pre-season stuff starts tonight with a few PL clubs either taking on teams in Europe or Lower league teams
Some of us lower league teams already started pre-season. As have Stoke and Watford.

Meanwhile, CIES Football Observatory has published its list of the world's most valuable players, ranked by how the player and clubs performed last season, international status, contract status, age and position.

The current top 10 are:
Neymar - €210.7m
Dele Alli - €155.1m
Harry Kane - €153.6m
Lionel Messi - €151.7m
Antoine Griezmann - €150.3m
Luis Suarez - €140.8m
Paul Pogba - €134.3m
Gonzalo Higuain - €120.2m
Eden Hazard - €117.2m
Paulo Dybala - €115.3m

Interestingly it suggests that Manchester United heavily underpaid for Lukaku (€105.4m)...

List is here.

Liverpool's 4-0 win over Tranmere ended with the Liverpool supporters invading the pitch. :odd:

Interestingly it suggests that Manchester United heavily underpaid for Lukaku (€105.4m)...
Fans say that transfer fees are crazy at the moment, but I believe they haven't fully kept up with football inflation. None of these transfers are as big a dent to a clubs finances as the big ones 15 years ago.

I remember around the time Pogba came to United and there was a lot of Utd fans trying to justify spending so much on him, a table comparing fees to annual revenue showed that Juan Sebastian Veron cost a bigger portion of United's finances.

Also, in 2017 money, Zidane's World Record Transfer Fee is more like €188 million.

20 year old Ajax player Abdelhak Nouri collapsed today during a friendly match with Werder Bremen, he suffered from heart arrhythmias and had to receive CPR and when he was stable enough he was airlifted to an hospital. He's out of danger now and is held in an induced coma.

Blegh. 20 years old. This is probably the end of a promising career.

He has severe and permanent brain damage. A large part of his brain isn't functioning anymore.

What is it with young West African footballers and heart problems?

I do often wonder how frequent and how thorough a footballer's medical is.

What is it with young West African footballers and heart problems?

I'm going to take a wild guess here and say that it might have to do something with the older generations marrying a family member.

I do often wonder how frequent and how thorough a footballer's medical is.
That baffles me as well. They have multi-kerjillion pound transfers and medicals in hospitals that would put Voyager's sick bay to shame, but nobody spots a congenital heart defect.

Kanu (not dead), Muamba (was dead, isn't), Ekeng (dead), Nsofwa (dead), Okwaraji (dead), Foe (dead), Tiote (dead), Nouri (not dead)... it's not a short list.

Liverpool's 4-0 win over Tranmere ended with the Liverpool supporters invading the pitch. :odd:

Can you blame them, it's their biggest win of the season!

Also I swear Liverpool play Tranmere every pre season? Are they a feeder club or something?

That baffles me as well. They have multi-kerjillion pound transfers and medicals in hospitals that would put Voyager's sick bay to shame, but nobody spots a congenital heart defect.

Are all of those players from (or have origins in) the same region of Africa?

There might be some sort of genetic predisposition.

Also I swear Liverpool play Tranmere every pre season? Are they a feeder club or something?

Tranmere are in Birkenhead on the Wirral about 5 miles away from Liverpool; it's a local concession type friendly.

Tranmere fans swear that Liverpool and Everton are actually their rivals when it's just local idiots wanting to fight.

Are all of those players from (or have origins in) the same region of Africa?
West Africans, one and all. Kanu is and Okwaraji was Nigerian, Muamba is DR Congo, Ekeng and Foe were Cameroon, Nsofwa was Zambian, Nouri is Morocco and Tiote was Ivorian.

Swansea rejected a £40 million bid for Sigurdsson from Everton, Sigurdsson hasn't travelled with the club on their US pre season tour.

Man City have agreed a fee in excess of £50 million with Spurs for Kyle Walker.

Both are insane transfer fees, cant quite believe that Swansea rejected that, I would've accepted £30 mill!!

...cant quite believe that Swansea rejected that, I would've accepted £30 mill!!

They rejected it because they know Everton will be able to pay more. He will make a world of difference for them and they have the money from the Lukaku sale.

Interesting video on Sigurdsson:

Rooney has just scored a 35-yard screamer on his second Everton debut in Tanzania....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back