2017 F1 Constructor technical info/developmentFormula 1 

For all its sophistication, I actually find the W08 to be fairly crude. My immediate impression was of a Formula 3 car on steroids, as it seems to be lacking the spark of imagination. As Mercedes are the top team, I suppose they need that quality less than the others, but I honestly find the Force India salad fork or Renault's squiggly turning vanes to be more creative.
Well colour me surprised! Who'd have thunk it!

Actually it is tech related, Hamilton claimed he switched cause the Bell was better and actually saw a wind tunnel and was proven Arai wasn't
I'd actually be interested in an aero comparison between the Bell, Arai, Schuberth, and Stilo. Red Bull, who are the kings of aero, seem to prefer the Arai so I guess everyone has their own separate opinions

More photos of the W08.

Bad PR if you ask me. Should've waited until after the launch event. The air has been taken out of the "event" now.
Mercedes always seem to do this. They test the car, car gets photographed and pictures on the Internet in seconds, then car gets officially unveiled.

Though given the Mercedes schedule for the day with the Q&A sessions going on during the afternoon it makes sense to do promotional filming earlier in the day then do all the launch PR.

Yeah no matter how much I look at it, I don't like it. It's just not spectacular or stunning or awe-inducing. The Sauber and Renault were, but not the Mercedes or Williams. The Force India is neither here nor there, but more so leaning to the Sauber and Renault side of the spectrum.

In one word, the Mercedes is: meh

Well colour me surprised! Who'd have thunk it!
Mercedes' launch is Toto Wolff giving a guided tour of the Silverstone Wing. On paper, that should play out like James Bond's first meeting with the latest villain. Instead, Mercedes have turned it into David Mitchell announcing "it's a car!" in his most annoyingly sarcastic faux middle-class voice.

Another good looking car, but I think it's so underwhelming for many cause, the Mercedes has been the best or one of the best looking cars for some time now. This just looks like more of what they've been running for the past two years just tailored to the 2017 rules package. So it's hard to be excited about what you've seen or could have predicted.

I hardly see any difference from last year's car, The Sauber & Renault look better tbh.

See this comment proves my point, Sauber was horrid last year, you show the two cars next to each other and most will gravitate toward the 2017, same with Renault but to less effect.

I love how Force India have called their step nose 'unfortunate'. Not 'the best solution' or even 'necessary', but 'unfortunate'. Well if it's so unfortunate, why did you put it on the damn thing?!

Still need to take a closer look at the Merc before I make any judgments on it.

Looks good. I wouldn't say its boring, we just haven't gotten to see it in the studio shots, or in any closeups as yet.

Sauber is winning the aesthetic award so far though, no doubt. The car looks even better in motion. This is a toss up with the Jordan Renault.

I love how Force India have called their step nose 'unfortunate'. Not 'the best solution' or even 'necessary', but 'unfortunate'. Well if it's so unfortunate, why did you put it on the damn thing?!

Wouldn't you wear an ugly suit to an interview if it meant you got the job?

Still need to take a closer look at the Merc before I make any judgments on it.

Did you read it, they said it was unfortunate because it was the best solution to exploiting an area of the car that prior was restricted to such. Thus in their eyes it is the best solution to get the maximum out of the rules for this year. What's unfortunate is that to do so they had to sacrifice looks which they would have probably like to have themselves as well.

As for Mercedes in general, I now see why Lewis called the car a boat, it's long and it almost reminds me of how the 2010 Saubers looked like high speed trains when first introduced. I think the lack of a real color scheme does it no favors in looking like a long piece of kit. It's not bad as I said, but considering it's much of what we've seen and then long as well...it gets boring even if it looks nice.

Looks good. I wouldn't say its boring, we just haven't gotten to see it in the studio shots, or in any closeups as yet.

Sauber is winning the aesthetic award so far though, no doubt. The car looks even better in motion. This is a toss up with the Jordan Renault.

Sure you have.

IMG_1830.jpg

XPB_859555_HiRes.jpg

M56940.jpg

M56942.jpg

Did you read it, they said it was unfortunate because it was the best solution to exploiting an area of the car that prior was restricted to such. Thus in their eyes it is the best solution to get the maximum out of the rules for this year. What's unfortunate is that to do so they had to sacrifice looks which they would have probably like to have themselves as well.

As for Mercedes in general, I now see why Lewis called the car a boat, it's long and it almost reminds me of how the 2010 Saubers looked like high speed trains when first introduced. I think the lack of a real color scheme does it no favors in looking like a long piece of kit. It's not bad as I said, but considering it's much of what we've seen and then long as well...it gets boring even if it looks nice.

Sure you have.

IMG_1830.jpg

XPB_859555_HiRes.jpg

M56940.jpg

M56942.jpg
Last shot of the front looks like an old v10 car to me 👍

Ok, that's beautiful. My current favourite is still the Sauber, but this is running it a close second. Might we see a fin yet at testing?

Mercedes must be very confident in their aero given how conservative this design is compared to the other teams showed so far.

Tomorrow will be the big day. The "new" McLaren could be the headline grabber and we'll see what direction Ferrari will take with their car.

Mercedes must be very confident in their aero given how conservative this design is compared to the other teams showed so far.

Tomorrow will be the big day. The "new" McLaren could be the headline grabber and we'll see what direction Ferrari will take with their car.

I'm sorry, conservative? Look at the damn bardeboards, the sidepod packaging, the front wing, the little thingies hanging off the sidepods, the mirrors, the airbox. The car looks absolutely nuts.

The Mercedes looks fine. Largely inoffensive on the parts front, and they've even managed to do something with a livery it's difficult to do much with. I like the new style of aqua/cyan/turquoise/whatever-it's-meant-to-be flashes down the side.

Yes, I know. I know in my heart of hearts they did say that, but it still seems like an odd thing to admit, even if it's bleeding obvious. It's as if even if it does do well, they'll be left with an immense sense of regret, somehow. 'Yes, the nose makes our car faster... But at what cost?'

Last edited:
Love how conveniently blacked out the diffuser shots are. It's almost as if its not even there at all.

Either Mercedes have mastered the trick suspension and dont need to make any significsnt changes, or theyre holding all their cards for now. I say that because the car doesnt looke like a huge evolution over last year as yet. Then again if it aint broke don't fix it.

EDK
Who will be the first team to launch their car with something other than the Soft tire?
I guess I have my answer. :dopey:
16864274_10154895823880390_8874411571603456450_n.jpg

I actually really like the swooping paint on the livery. I am not a fan of the sculpted sidepods in general, and it kind of gives a Flow Visualization Paint effect, from my perspective.

Interesting they are driving on full wets on a damp track, but seems to me like the blue fits with their livery better than yellow or green would. ;)

From my perspective, this is the best looking and most refined of the launch cars so far. I am fully expecting to see some more radical concepts from these guys in testing and even more in the first race. But this is a good baseline concept, a nice looking car. 👍

Mercedes yet again with the most elegant car in the field. I'm surprised nobody's copied their nose yet.

Mercedes, you may be stifling at times, but thank you for again making a fantastic car. :drool:

Back