2017 NASCAR Discussion threadNASCAR 

• Thread starter MustangRyan
  • 3,756 comments
I'm going to guess quite a bit on top of skipping quite a bit of practice and qualifying. I just don't see how they are expecting the engines to last at least 5,000 miles (just going by race distances, with practice and qualifying I'm guessing it's a couple thousand higher) without internal bits breaking.

I do like the idea of engine limits though, but on the other hand asking to get 13 races out of 1 sealed engine seems like asking too much.

And knowing NASCAR, they don't seem keen on cutting down race distance either so this is a rather optimistic expectation.

I'm going to guess quite a bit on top of skipping quite a bit of practice and qualifying. I just don't see how they are expecting the engines to last at least 5,000 miles (just going by race distances, with practice and qualifying I'm guessing it's a couple thousand higher) without internal bits breaking.

I do like the idea of engine limits though, but on the other hand asking to get 13 races out of 1 sealed engine seems like asking too much.

It says they must use a sealed short block for 13 points races so no cylinder heads, pushrods etc. Most engine failures seen nowadays are valvetrain related from broken valve springs, valve failures, pushrod and rocker arm failures so it seems they are allowed to swap out those parts as long as they don't dip into the sealed short block. Still a stretch but that's how I read it and if they had to run the same valvetrain, all cars out there would go kaboom.

According to Bob Pockrass, the engine rule is this:

Starting next season, NASCAR Cup teams will have to use 13 engines during the year for two full race weekends -- the engines will be sealed so between races they can't tamper with the engine block, crankshaft, camshaft, connecting rods and pistons. Also, engines used at Talladega in October will be sealed and must be used again in the preseason race at Daytona next February.

i
Bob Pockrass, NASCAR

After reading the article previously linked, I also thought it meant that an engine had to be used for 13 weeks, which seemed totally impossible. It looks like it means that teams are going to be required to use a single engine for two races without a rebuild on 13 different occasions. Will the saved cost of 13 engine rebuilds be a significant cost savings?

I think it's very strange to ask a team to seal an engine used in October at Talladega and re-use it the following February for the Clash at Daytona. Surely there will be parts failures caused by this. How often will the teams crank these engines just to relubricate them?

Is there anyone at Richmond? I see bodies, but I don't thing there's more than a couple HUNDRED people in the front stretch stands. No one at all in the turns. FFS, Texas had a better crowd.

Is there anyone at Richmond? I see bodies, but I don't thing there's more than a couple HUNDRED people in the front stretch stands. No one at all in the turns. FFS, Texas had a better crowd.

Not a good sign for what is supposed to be the race before the chase.

OK, how does the rest of the racing world work it's support series? I think Xfinity and Trucks get more screen time than any other feeder series, and yet it seems to be for naught as the money is tied mainly to teams and drivers who drop down for events. I don't hear of GP2 or F3 having this issue, hell Indy Lights seem fine and get very little tv exposure.

OK, how does the rest of the racing world work it's support series? I think Xfinity and Trucks get more screen time than any other feeder series, and yet it seems to be for naught as the money is tied mainly to teams and drivers who drop down for events. I don't hear of GP2 or F3 having this issue, hell Indy Lights seem fine and get very little tv exposure.

The thing to keep in mind is technically, The Xfinity and Truck series didn't start as feeder series. Hell the Trucks was for the most part a series featuring, if we're honest with ourselves, Cup drivers who simply couldn't cut it in Cup (Hornaday, Benson, Bodine, Skinner, etc) . The only reason they are seen that way now (despite the many series veterans) is because the amount of drivers that came up through all three. Something like Formula 2 or Indy Lights even were made specifically as ladder series first to begin with, hence why you'll never see Hamilton for instance racing in a F2 race on the same weekend as the F1 race.

Last edited:
Good battle for position between Jr. and Larson there. Seems weird to say Jr. in an instance like that since he checked out already and has been awful this year because of checking out.

All I can say is, I believe the Richmond safety crew will have one less ambulance driver come Monday.

What about Nascar's travelling safety team I heard about? Is it just the doctor that travels to all races or the whole safety crew?

What about Nascar's travelling safety team I heard about? Is it just the doctor that travels to all races or the whole safety crew?

Forgot about that. Somebody's gonna be in trouble somewhere.

Logano also has damage from the same incident, too. Must be a Whambulance tonight.

Also, shameless plug:

Willing to place a bet on TV picking up a Truex/Hamblin pit lane brawl so that NASCAR has something to promote the Chase with.

Edit: ...or maybe not.

Last edited:

Latest Posts

Back