2017 NASCAR Discussion threadNASCAR 

• Thread starter MustangRyan
  • 3,756 comments
Kelly Crandall talked with Scott Miller (VP of Competition for NASCAR) for his take on why the Ambulance incident happened. His biggest quote I saw in the article essentially said "we should have closed the pits." Understatement of the year.

http://www.racer.com/nascar/item/143997-nascar-s-miller-explains-ambulance-incident

Yeah, my Dad showed me what happened. I said the official down there should have a manual override if they see something before NASCAR does. They are basically a corner marshal and no one tells corner marshals in sports car racing when to wave their flags, they do their job when they see it's necessary.

Which opens up discussion about both the seat and who Smithfield will be the primary for.

I believe we already went through the possibilities once, but I don't know if RPM will recover losing a big sponsor.

Rumor is Almirola to SHR.

That might actually get me to watch next year, then again my pool team would tank as a result. I watched the 500 and did horribly and I've been recovering from like 90th since then up to 14th as of Bristol.

Which opens up discussion about both the seat and who Smithfield will be the primary for.

I believe we already went through the possibilities once, but I don't know if RPM will recover losing a big sponsor.
Umm, Bubba Wallace to the 43 with STP and USAF on board????

Umm, Bubba Wallace to the 43 with STP and USAF on board????
Bubba and some STP races perhaps, but IIRC the armed forces are supposed to be closing out their sponsorships and STP doesn't seem to be a big time sponsor
The armed forces quit sponsoring in NASCAR after 2014. Only STP will stick with RPM since they've been with Petty for half a century.

I could see Bubba Wallace to the #43. Almirola to SHR is a good possibility since Smithfield has stuck with him since he joined the team.

From Jayski:

Smithfield and Richard Petty have opposing words on how that went south.

Matt Kenseth tweets he's not replacing Danica.

#77 will likely be shuttered for 2018.

My picks for the final four:

Martin Truex Jr
Kyle Busch
Kyle Larson
Jimmie Johnson

My only concern is that someone - it won't be NASCAR - figures out how/why Truex's car is so damn fast and if it's illegal.

So Matt Kenseth isn't going to the #10. Do they really think Cole Custer is ready for Cup or will it be a vet like Kahne or Almirola?

The fact that Smithfield ditched RPM for SHR and then Almirola immediately leaving RPM leads most to believe Almirola to the 10.

The 77's charter has already been sold. They aren't saying to who, but I have a suspicion that the names Ryan and Roger will be tied to it.

The 77's charter has already been sold. They aren't saying to who, but I have a suspicion that the names Ryan and Roger will be tied to it.
If you are talking about the people I think your talking about. That said that the 12 will be Ryan's number

Brad being Brad. Guy has a history of allegations against anyone who has the edge over Penske. Let's back up to 2008 when the other manufacturers in the Xfinity Series were complaining the Toyotas were too powerful so NASCAR made a rule change specific to Toyota motors making them use a restrictor plate taking power away. Didn't really matter, Toyota still won the majority of the races that year with or without the plate.

The armed forces quit sponsoring in NASCAR after 2014. Only STP will stick with RPM since they've been with Petty for half a century.

I could see Bubba Wallace to the #43. Almirola to SHR is a good possibility since Smithfield has stuck with him since he joined the team.
I didn't know USAF had left RPM. Thanks for that correction. That said, it seems that the only logical step for RPM is to ask STP to step up.

Air Force does still sponsor RPM, but it's only 2 races a year (Charlotte in May for Memorial Day and Phoenix in the Fall for Veteran's Day).

04BED829B80A4034AC1BCC53FFB26488.ashx

Brad being Brad. Guy has a history of allegations against anyone who has the edge over Penske. Let's back up to 2008 when the other manufacturers in the Xfinity Series were complaining the Toyotas were too powerful so NASCAR made a rule change specific to Toyota motors making them use a restrictor plate taking power away. Didn't really matter, Toyota still won the majority of the races that year with or without the plate.
He complained a few years ago about Hendrick using moving parts in their rear suspension and rear axle that gave them extra grip when turning, leading to a Brickyard 400 that was dominated by Jimmie Johnson that year. Within a month of Brad's complaint, NASCAR outlawed the rear axles that could rotate laterally, giving a sort of all wheel steering effect.

He complained a few years ago about Hendrick using moving parts in their rear suspension and rear axle that gave them extra grip when turning, leading to a Brickyard 400 that was dominated by Jimmie Johnson that year. Within a month of Brad's complaint, NASCAR outlawed the rear axles that could rotate laterally, giving a sort of all wheel steering effect.

He also got busted with an illegal car right after that IIRC.

Ted Christopher had more racing talent than a slug like Ron Hornaday. Yet because he won a bunch of races in the lowest form of racing, he is considered HOF material. Yes NASCAR is pure comedy. RIP Ted.

Back