2017 NASCAR Discussion threadNASCAR 

• Thread starter MustangRyan
  • 3,756 comments
So Keselowski is honoring Dale Earnhardt Jr. at Talladega by running this,
View attachment 678798
Which is a throwback to his Xfinity Series livery from when he drove for Jr. back in 2008.
View attachment 678799
If it wasn't for the little note on the rear quarter panel there, I would have just assumed they were running a minimalist scheme that week for some reason. Maybe if they changed the decals to be black instead of blue it'd be a bit more obvious.

Looks basically the same as the regular Miller Lite scheme. And the spoiler will be green anyways so basically a Miller Lite scheme.

Way to go Truex.

Edit: Why do they agree to race here twice a year? Chase made a move, now let's spend the next 20 minutes untangling cars again.

Last edited:
Way to go Truex.

Edit: Why do they agree to race here twice a year? Chase made a move, now let's spend the next 20 minutes untangling cars again.

Because it makes the big money. Plate races are pretty much guaranteed smash em ups and that is what draws the casual fans and the young group NASCAR is looking for.

Plate race watcher. That's a plate race for you. Joke indeed.
I used to watch almost every race back in the 90’s up until the mid 2000’s. When they went to the chase format, I lost a lot of interest. When they went to this “stage” format, I lost almost all interest.

Remind me, wasn't the whole point of having the Green-White-Checkered Rule was so we wouldn't have red flags on late-race cautions? Glad to see Junior avoid the wrecks and get a Top Ten but this race was a reminder why I've stopped watching NASCAR regularly.

As a big Junior fan, this race was one of the most stressful race I've ever watched. Wreck after wreck and junior missing each and every one of them by literal inches. If he hadn't bumped Chase when Chase wrecked, he would have won this race. So this was a tough one for me.
This means that he has 2 decent chances left for a win this year being at Martinsville and Phoenix.

Kyle Busch started the chase with a ton of points over the cut line, and after having an abysmal car at Charlotte, and wrecking out with someone else's mess at 'Dega, and is now 7 points brlow the cutline.

Whoever decided to put 'Dega in an elimination style format for a championship should be shot.

Kyle Busch started the chase with a ton of points over the cut line, and after having an abysmal car at Charlotte, and wrecking out with someone else's mess at 'Dega, and is now 7 points brlow the cutline.

Whoever decided to put 'Dega in an elimination style format for a championship should be shot.

Dega was an elimination race last year. I bitched at the fan council about it hard. Like real hard. They changed it to be a non elimination race. It’s a start but plate races have no business in the playoffs and during the regular season as far as I am concerned. But these races are the races people love. Everyone wants to see the crashes. Take the plates off and let them run.

I'm surprised that quite a few of the opinions toward this race appear to be negative. From where I sat, this race was definetely one of the best races this season, if not the best. A bunch of different drivers fighting for the lead at a time, a few good strategy calls from backmarkers to take the lead, even if only for a bit, many, MANY crucial retirements that will make the next race an uncertainty for many chase drivers, and last but not least, an excellent finish for Jr. at his final race at one of his best tracks.

The fact that this was a plate race and part of the playoffs doesn't take away from the tension and the excitement I felt during the race, at least not for me.

Just burn this place to the ground and build a short track out of it from the ashes, like Bristol without the progressive banking or something. Anything but this gimmick of a track please

I greatly enjoyed watching this race. Everybody was was doing a terrific job until the wrecking began very late. And the best man on the day won.

Back