2017 NASCAR Discussion threadNASCAR 

• Thread starter MustangRyan
  • 3,756 comments
There were about 8 or so drivers I was pulling for to win after the first big one. The 2 wasn't one of them. :grumpy:

I don't hate him, I just wanted to see either Jr. get one at the end of his career, a new winner (Elliott, Suarez), someone who doesn't have a buttload of wins in their career already (Blaney, Larson, Almirola, Bayne), or a driver who aside from one oddball win earlier in the year, hasn't won much in recent years (Newman). I had that feeling though as soon as Keselowski barely squeaked through that first big one, he would be in victory lane.

Kyle Busch started the chase with a ton of points over the cut line, and after having an abysmal car at Charlotte, and wrecking out with someone else's mess at 'Dega, and is now 7 points brlow the cutline.

Whoever decided to put 'Dega in an elimination style format for a championship should be shot.

Why this is the exact reason they did it. It's a bit silly to think they would purposely set up a chase scenario where there weren't curve balls like this and dover for example. I'm guessing it has more to do with Kyle than the actual format, which in that case matters even less really, to have seen the worse of the worse due to the Dega chase race in respect for the driver I follow. However, I maintain that this was calculated and not done as a stupid move.

As I thought (and basically knew), the product was less then desirable. While I do agree the racing was crap, I hardly blame the track for it because there has been far better racing. I blame on this godawful package that NASCAR still doesn't seem to grasp isn't a oval racer so much as it is a road racing car with oval stuff slapped on it. Of course, common sense and thinking doesn't exist at the Daytona headquarters or in Charlotte so..

Just burn this place to the ground and build a short track out of it from the ashes, like Bristol without the progressive banking or something. Anything but this gimmick of a track please
Daytona goes first then apparently.

I really don't understand why everyone is so upset about the race. It was fantastic until about the last 20 laps or so when the wrecks began. Constant passingly for the lead, constant 2, 3, even 4 wide racing. It was great!

I don't want to go back to the two-car tandem drafting days, but I would like to see cars more able to line up and pass. There have been a few plate races recently where when a strong car gets out front, it can spend 20+ laps just weaving back and forth holding off the runs of the lines behind them. There should be better opportunities to pass when the cars are in long lines.

As I thought (and basically knew), the product was less then desirable. While I do agree the racing was crap, I hardly blame the track for it because there has been far better racing. I blame on this godawful package that NASCAR still doesn't seem to grasp isn't a oval racer so much as it is a road racing car with oval stuff slapped on it. Of course, common sense and thinking doesn't exist at the Daytona headquarters or in Charlotte so..
Technically speaking, there, is some common sense in Daytona, but the ones with it are running IMSA, not NASCAR.......

Technically speaking, there, is some common sense in Daytona, but the ones with it are running IMSA, not NASCAR.......

Fair enough, I shall amend that: common sense and thinking doesn't exist in that department at the Daytona headquarters

This race attained the highest television ratings since 2012 and 35% increase over last year. Shows that plate tracks are what people want to see and the love affair with NASCAR crashes isn't going anywhere. I personally hate plate races and would love NASCAR to try something different.

Could be interesting, but the chicane in the quad-oval seems superfluous.
They had to add it so that the cars wouldn't be braking to cross the start/finish line. With this setup, they can accelerate across the line. Imagine the last lap if the cars ignored their braking point for turn 1 to win the race, then totaled the car in the wall.

Tire testing with new chicanes added. Cautiously optimistic this'll be fun to watch.

Capture.PNG

I like that there is a little mini-boot section that they could add to future events.

It still befuddles me that the 77 is shutting down. Its fairly obvious that the 78 is the best team out there , yet they can't find funding for a second team. But somehow perennial losers like Paul Menard, Trevor Bayne , Chase Elliott, Ty Dillon and Aric Almirola continue to find money to run a full season in Cup

It still befuddles me that the 77 is shutting down. Its fairly obvious that the 78 is the best team out there , yet they can't find funding for a second team. But somehow perennial losers like Paul Menard, Trevor Bayne , Chase Elliott, Ty Dillon and Aric Almirola continue to find money to run a full season in Cup
Because Paul Menard has the cash money from his parents Menards store chain (and he rarely does stupid **** with his car), Chase Elliott has NAPA and support from HoF daddy, Ty Dillion has Richard Childress' support because they're related, Aric Armirola has the massive cash money from bacon empire Smithfield and Trevor Bayne is still with Roush because Ford.

Because Paul Menard has the cash money from his parents Menards store chain, Chase Elliott has NAPA and support from HoF daddy, Ty Dillion has Richard Childress' support because they're related, Aric Armirola has the massive cash money from bacon empire Smithfield and Trevor Bayne is still with Roush because Ford.

Eric Jones is also moving over too the 20, which has been cited as the main reason the 77 is going away. Don't get me wrong, how the hell did the 43 & 45 keep anything from 98 to the GEM merger, but considering that 5-hour Is just moving to the 78, I don't think it was a lack of sponsors at all.

Furniture Row said from the start that Erik Jones in the 77 was a 1 year deal. It's not surprising they are continuing to be a 1 car team.

I would have loved to see Kenseth drop in the 77 car for another few years, so he could retire on his terms in a competitive car.

At this point, it looks like his retirement is coming sooner, rather than later.

Saw Kenseth a few times this year running a basic Toyota Care car which basically means they could not find sponsorship. Sad but it's a business. I'd like to see Kenseth in the 77 as well.

Back