2017 NASCAR Discussion threadNASCAR 

• Thread starter MustangRyan
  • 3,756 comments
Was looking at the starting lineup for the Texas Cup race and noticed that Joey Gase is running the #7 this week. It would be great to see him get a few rides in better equipment based on the fact that he is usually sponsored by a group promoting organ donation. I personally think that is a great cause and reading the story of Joey Gase and how he personally dealt with a situation regarding his mother;s death a few years ago inspired me to make it known on my DL that I wish to be a donor. Just saying it would be nice to see him run a P/T schedule in Infinity with JGR or RCR. It would bring more awareness to good cause.

Kevin Harvick leads at the end of stage 1. Chase Elliott who started last made it up so far to 11th.
Keselowski and Kyle Busch made early contact and had to make unscheduled pit stops and are both a lap down.

Kyle Larson leads at the end of stage 2. Jimmie Johnson not having a good day. Running a couple laps down. Chase Elliott up to 5th.

Kevin Harvick wins at Texas meaning Kevin will advance to the final 4 at Homestead.
Martin Truex will also advance to Homestead based on the fact that he has so many points that he could wreck on the first lap at Phoenix and he would still advance.

Ray Black Jr has the same amount of Cup wins as Chase Elliott. I guess someone has to spin every week. Last week, it was Chase. This week it is Ray. Both are pretty even on talent. My guess is that Ray Black Sr must not have driven in NASCAR so he couldn't get his kid a top ride.

Gonna just keep that Bellyaching nonsense about Chase going, huh?

Who's next in the "His dad payed for his ride so he automatically doesn't deserve it" category to compare to, Cody Ware? Erik Jones? (Another rookie In a top ride without a win)

You're a real class act RACECAR mentioning Erik Jones' father. The man passed away from cancer last year, and if i recall Jones came up through the trucks with KBM and wasn't given anything.

You're a real class act RACECAR mentioning Erik Jones' father. The man passed away from cancer last year, and if i recall Jones came up through the trucks with KBM and wasn't given anything.

Point is, here you are again not-so subtly with the redtailboa attitude of Chase not belonging here (or "Disgracing the 24" if you really want to complete the look) due to him not winning.

Also, I'm well aware Erik Jones Dad passed away from cancer so the sarcastic "Class act" response wasn't needed. I was simply expecting at some point for you to make the same statement about him since he also isn't winning in cup equipment like everyone that hates him seems to do (though its hilarious how you mention his rise through the trucks with KBM yet ignore Chase spending time in ARCA AND two full seasons in Xfinity before coming up to Cup).

I must admit I do like your "disgracing the 24" reference. Perhaps that is why they are putting a real driver in that car next year, not a PR guy trying to sell auto parts. As for Jones, I like him. Midwest kid driving short tracks gets spotted by Kyle Busch and gets a ride.

I must admit I do like your "disgracing the 24" reference. Perhaps that is why they are putting a real driver in that car next year, not a PR guy trying to sell auto parts. As for Jones, I like him. Midwest kid driving short tracks gets spotted by Kyle Busch and gets a ride.

So if I'm reading this correct you have a thing against pretty much all drivers who aren't first generation drivers and that all who come after are talentless hacks? Do please give your opinions on Adam Petty as a driver then. How about Dale jr or Austin Cindric, surely he must be talentless since he gets to race almost anything on Penske's dime because his dad happens to be Tim.

So if I'm reading this correct you have a thing against pretty much all drivers who aren't first generation drivers and that all who come after are talentless hacks? Do please give your opinions on Adam Petty as a driver then. How about Dale jr or Austin Cindric, surely he must be talentless since he gets to race almost anything on Penske's dime because his dad happens to be Tim.
You forgot Cole Custer, whose dad is an executive at Stewart-Haas Racing and Haas F1. Do we have a "Paul Menard Sponsorship Nepotism Top 5" list yet?

You're double standard of drivers and how they get their drive's is rather ignorant. Real driver? Do tell me of Erik Jones' amazing achievements this year? Oh but that's right he's got the same amount of wins as Ray Black Jr too. :sly: Both Jones and Chase have a championship in the lower ranks not counting ARCA. Stop this 🤬 nonsense. None of this is black and white. Guess you must really despise Dale Jr and Dale Jarrett.

Also, disgracing the 24 my ass. You mean disgracing a team who hasn't been dominant in many years? A team who hasn't won a championship since 2001? A team whose, aside from Jeff Gordon and even sometimes then, underperformed?

So Hendrick simply changing numbers around is your idea of them "putting a real driver in that car next year" (Nevermind the fact that technically, said driver is a "PR guy" for a University). Classic Double Standards, bro :lol:

And of course you'd like that reference, you're another guy that despises a second generation driver in a famous number(Like the continually afformentioned redtailboa). Wonder how you feel about Ryan Blaney being in the 12 for Penske. Wonder how you would've reacted if it was Ross Kenseth was in that 20 instead of Erik Jones, or Harrison Burton or Todd Gilliland. Can't wait to see in many years how you react if Brexton Busch or Kellen Harvick get in top rides. Will you react the same with Third generation drivers like Karsyn Elledge?

Last edited:
Did I read it wrong or is the Brickyard 400 the last race before the playoffs now?

Gotta love how a new poster (most certainly redtailboa) comes in and is mostly against the herd and gets trashed for his own opinions. As bad as they may be, it's his right. I went through that when I came to GTP in all sorts of threads including the NASCAR thread because I hate Jeff Gordon, was new, rubbed people the wrong way and am not really concerned with making people like me etc. Speaking of outspoken NASCAR fans whatever happened to GT Porsche? NASCAR thread comes together and laughs at other's misfortunes like Rick Stenhouse Jr for example. But he's now a 2 time winner. I'm not a Chase fan I think he's mostly hype but he's had a decent season. He brings the same "aw shucks" good ol boy boring personality his dad did and he was a multiple time most popular driver as young Chase will be. I don't believe Chase deserves to be this far in the playoffs let alone still semi in contention to make the final 4. Nothing personal.

Last edited:
Gotta love how a new poster (most certainly redtailboa) comes in and is mostly against the herd and gets trashed for his own opinions. As bad as they may be, it's his right. I went through that when I came to GTP in all sorts of threads including the NASCAR thread because I hate Jeff Gordon, was new, rubbed people the wrong way and am really concerned with making people like me etc. Speaking of outspoken NASCAR fans whatever happened to GT Porsche? NASCAR thread comes together and laughs at other's misfortunes like Rick Stenhouse Jr for example. But he's now a 2 time winner. I'm not a Chase fan I think he's mostly hype but he's had a decent season. He brings the same "aw shucks" good ol boy boring personality his dad did and he was a multiple time most popular driver as young Chase will be. I don't believe Chase deserves to be this far in the playoffs let alone still semi in contention to make the final 4. Nothing personal.

There's disliking a driver within reason and then there's just throwing around completely Hypocritical BS on a weekly basis to justify what is undoubtedly fanboy levels of dislike with no actual reason (especially when the good ol' "Lack of talent" crap gets thrown purely based on the lack of wins and not whether said driver has the pace or is competitive). I again would like to point out that Erik Jones is another rookie who hasn't gotten a win In a top ride (and neither has Suarez). Does that make them "Untalented"? Also, the herd comparison is hilarious considering only one person in here had an stroke over Chase being passed on the last lap at Dover (self inflicted for not having the balls to go around)and then did the same after the contact at Martinsville (Miraculously "Losing Respect" because his favorite driver was involved). This ganging up is less about about "The herd" and more about another guy with the tendency to carry the impossible goal post. Yeah Chase is overhyped (Hell look who his dad is AND who he drove for in Xfinity and now who he drives for), but so was Joey Logano. So was Austin Dillon (for obvious reasons).

If this guy was anywhere near as non-fanboy with his dislike as you are now, there would be far less redtailboa comparisons.

Still better then having "Legacy" shouted every damn week so that's at least 10 years of everyone's lives not taken off.

Also, I still don't like Stenhouse Jr and frankly, two wins only at restrictor plate tracks (none o which are at least the 500) and somehow no short track wins despite finishing well at them just isn't that impressive to me when half of the time he can't do crap elsewhere or even keep up (though that partially also lies with Roush being awful). That and his personality has more wood then a tree house.

Last edited:
There's disliking a driver within reason and then there's just throwing around completely Hypocritical BS on a weekly basis to justify what is undoubtedly fanboy levels of dislike with no actual reason (especially when the good ol' "Lack of talent" crap gets thrown purely based on the lack of wins and not whether said driver has the pace or is competitive). I again would like to point out that Erik Jones is another rookie who hasn't gotten a win In a top ride (and neither has Suarez). Does that make them "Untalented"? Also, the herd comparison is hilarious considering only one person in here had an stroke over Chase being passed on the last lap at Dover (self inflicted for not having the balls to go around)and then did the same after the contact at Martinsville (Miraculously "Losing Respect" because his favorite driver was involved). Yeah Chase is overhyped (Hell look who his dad is AND who he drove for in Xfinity and now who he drives for), but so was Joey Logano. So was Austin Dillon (for obvious reasons).

If this guy was anywhere near as non-fanboy with his dislike as you are now, there would be far less redtailboa comparisons.

Still better then having "Legacy" shouted every damn week so that's at least 10 years of everyone's lives not taken off.

It took Larson a few years to win. Chase is in year 2. Jones is an actual rookie. I bet Jones gets a win before Chase and has a more successful career in the long run. Chase is very marketable so I know exactly why he's at HMS. Dale Jr 2.0. I understand the dislike towards redtailboa but I agree in a sense with him sometimes. I don't like silver spoon kids getting a shot at the big leagues so glad for people like Jones to break the monotony. Not about to poop on his whole career, he'll get a few.

It took Larson a few years to win. Chase is in year 2.

Which is somethin this guy (and you know who) refused to understand.

I don't like silver spoon kids getting a shot at the big leagues so glad for people like Jones to break the monotony. Not about to poop on his whole career, he'll get a few.

Even if said driver actually spent time in the lower series as opposed to being rushed up with little to no experience? I can understand some people just don't care for the Bill-ism he has been passed on, but I don't understand the seemingly sweeping generalization that because someone has a last name of a famous driver, they are automatically to be hated.

Gonna just keep that Bellyaching nonsense about Chase going, huh?

Who's next in the "His dad payed for his ride so he automatically doesn't deserve it" category to compare to, Cody Ware? Erik Jones? (Another rookie In a top ride without a win)
Cody Ware is absolute scum, so I'd say any negative opinions on him are absolutely warranted, including pointing out his status as a product of nepotism.

Cody Ware is absolute scum, so I'd say any negative opinions on him are absolutely warranted, including pointing out his status as a product of nepotism.

Oh absolutely, I just used him as someone this guys was gonna either gonna ignore or make another comparison to since he also "Has the same amount of wins"

Back