2017 NASCAR Discussion threadNASCAR 

• Thread starter MustangRyan
  • 3,756 comments
Chase Elliot to 2nd passing Hamlin, and the caution is out for Cole Whitt.

I dunno about this strategy for the #11...

I feel like he needs new tires, but the #2 is only a few cars behind him. Elliot is also using the bumped a bit here. This could get interesting.

I hope Chase doesn't win this race, just to every Elliot fan go ape 🤬 crazy.
0 for 75. And that's awesome that Kenseth wins the race. Barney Visser used to fund the 78 out of his pocket for years. How about getting the 77 back out there even if only a part time schedule and put Kenseth in it

By defeating a truly great field of established stars in their prime and as well as a horde of gifted rookies and sophomores, old man Kenseth has proven at Phoenix he's not too old to win. This is great story! It would be very fun to think Matt could yet get a competitive ride for '18. But Matt's real problem is not his talent or even age; isn't it really his elevated salary the economy-minded team owners are trying to avoid paying? Could or should Matt take a pay cut in order to stay in the game with a mid-pack team? IMO, probably not.

I don't think lack of interest is why Kenseth doesn't have a ride. It's just a lack of quality rides available. Yes Matt could take a pay cut and be in some 3rd tier equipment but when you've had a successful career, a Championship, millions of dollars, a young family etc. The question is why would you? It's better to burn out than to fade away. I'm really happy that he was able to win probably for the last time so close to the deadline.

I don't think lack of interest is why Kenseth doesn't have a ride. It's just a lack of quality rides available. Yes Matt could take a pay cut and be in some 3rd tier equipment but when you've had a successful career, a Championship, millions of dollars, a young family etc. The question is why would you? It's better to burn out than to fade away. I'm really happy that he was able to win probably for the last time so close to the deadline.
I'm sure he got offers to drive for back marker teams for nearly no money. I would guess that some slightly better teams might have offered him a chance to drive mid-pack cars, also at a reduced salary.

At this point in his career, I think Matt is better off to walk away, unless he could get a top quality car with a fair salary. Short of that, I don't blame him for leaving. He can clearly still compete for wins, and likely would have been in the Championship 4 this year if he hadn't been collected in the wreck at Kansas. Kenseth was in a top-8 transfer spot over Jimmie Johnson until that accident happened, and his crew was penalized for too many men over the wall, causing an immediate DQ.

Do you guys think that if Dale Earnhardt Jr didn't suffer that concussion last year and had to sit out half the season, he would've performed better in his final season? Don't get me wrong I am glad that he decided to sit out and recover. I'm just curious.

Do you guys think that if Dale Earnhardt Jr didn't suffer that concussion last year and had to sit out half the season, he would've performed better in his final season?
No. He didn't really improve/regress this year compared to recent years/performances. Minus a few good races over the last 4-6 years, he's been a mid-marker. That's been pretty steady and this year was no exception.

Both Jr. and Kenseth will run their paint schemes they broke into Cup with. They'll come in together and leave together with the same schemes. Pretty neat.
i
i

Both Jr. and Kenseth will run their paint schemes they broke into Cup with. They'll come in together and leave together with the same schemes. Pretty neat.
i
i
I really wish Bud would just do a one off race. I feel HAAS would allow it for one race.

Back