2017 NASCAR Discussion threadNASCAR 

• Thread starter MustangRyan
  • 3,756 comments
It's currently all just hopes and dreams but if Petty do a data exchange alliance with SHR like JGR and Furniture Row do, I give them the nod. Otherwise none of them are winning next year.

SHR moving to Ford had to be purely a Gene Haas call.

Probably wont watch every race anymore now that Tony has left, not going to be as fun anymore.

Biffle confirms he's out at RFR; status of #16 car uncertain.

http://www.motorsport.com/nascar-cup/news/biffle-parts-ways-with-roush-after-19-years-852602/

I'm guessing Greg hops in the King's 44 for '17 (and maybe '18, hanging it up after that).

As for Roush...I don't see John Henry and his Red Sox bux sticking around beyond next year without a literally miraculous turn around. If/when Jack loses that backing, I say by the end of 2018, he shutters the Xfinity shop, sells the remaining Cup charters to Penske and Petty (because Ford loyalty), and concentrates on Roush-Yates Engines, the Roush road car tuning biz, and flying.

Biffle confirms he's out at RFR; status of #16 car uncertain.

http://www.motorsport.com/nascar-cup/news/biffle-parts-ways-with-roush-after-19-years-852602/

I'm guessing Greg hops in the King's 44 for '17 (and maybe '18, hanging it up after that).

As for Roush...I don't see John Henry and his Red Sox bux sticking around beyond next year without a literally miraculous turn around. If/when Jack loses that backing, I say by the end of 2018, he shutters the Xfinity shop, sells the remaining Cup charters to Penske and Petty (because Ford loyalty), and concentrates on Roush-Yates Engines, the Roush road car tuning biz, and flying.
I keep having this feeling that Kenseth knew that Roush was a slowly sinking ship all those years back and left for Gibbs. Edwards followed suit. Biffle either was too loyal or had no way out.

Would you say it was...freaky fast? :P

I think Erik Jones proved in 2015 that he can handle a Cup car (that and if I'm not mistaken, he's tested in one as well) so he already has some idea of what to do and will now have a fast team (that more or less will now be JGR II after the speed they've shown).
IIRC when Jones filled in for Kyle Busch at Charlotte, he could have possibly won his first race right then and there if he had not choked on the front stretch. so my guess is he will definitely be rookie of the year next year

I keep having this feeling that Kenseth knew that Roush was a slowly sinking ship all those years back and left for Gibbs. Edwards followed suit. Biffle either was too loyal or had no way out.
Considering how around that time Biffle was not doing to bad, probably loyalty (or a combination of the two).

Predicting 3-4 Penske or Penske affiliated cars/teams by 2018/2019 and no more Roush.

From Jayski

Chris Buescher to 2nd JTG Daughtery team: Greg Biffle's decision to leave Roush-Fenway Racing Monday triggered a chain reaction that will include the slumping racing company loaning driver Chris Buescher to a rival manufacturer next season. Buescher will drive for a newly-created second Chevy team at JTG Daughtery Racing in 2017. Roush Fenway is expected to scuttle Biffle's #16 team, and that could make that team's charter available to the highest bidder - including the new JTG Daughtery entry. Despite fielding fulltime teams for Biffle, Ricky Stenhouse Jr. and Trevor Bayne, Roush Fenway hasn't won a race since 2014. By loaning Buescher to JTG Daugherty next year, Ford Racing will be able to work on upgrades with Roush Fenway while keeping one of its young drivers under contract. "I just couldn't do this anymore," Biffle told the Times-Union. "I've been the one carrying the company banner. I've been the one who kept re-signing. I was all of those things. But it just didn't get any better. I didn't see a light at the end of the tunnel, so I decided I'd rather do something else - even if it means not driving anymore. I just didn't want to run 25th every week." Biffle said he doesn't have any definite plans for next year, but he hopes to be in a competitive car. "My passion is to drive a car that's capable of winning," he said. "If I had to bet, that's what I'll be doing next year."

From Jayski

Chris Buescher to 2nd JTG Daughtery team: Greg Biffle's decision to leave Roush-Fenway Racing Monday triggered a chain reaction that will include the slumping racing company loaning driver Chris Buescher to a rival manufacturer next season. Buescher will drive for a newly-created second Chevy team at JTG Daughtery Racing in 2017. Roush Fenway is expected to scuttle Biffle's #16 team, and that could make that team's charter available to the highest bidder - including the new JTG Daughtery entry. Despite fielding fulltime teams for Biffle, Ricky Stenhouse Jr. and Trevor Bayne, Roush Fenway hasn't won a race since 2014. By loaning Buescher to JTG Daugherty next year, Ford Racing will be able to work on upgrades with Roush Fenway while keeping one of its young drivers under contract. "I just couldn't do this anymore," Biffle told the Times-Union. "I've been the one carrying the company banner. I've been the one who kept re-signing. I was all of those things. But it just didn't get any better. I didn't see a light at the end of the tunnel, so I decided I'd rather do something else - even if it means not driving anymore. I just didn't want to run 25th every week." Biffle said he doesn't have any definite plans for next year, but he hopes to be in a competitive car. "My passion is to drive a car that's capable of winning," he said. "If I had to bet, that's what I'll be doing next year."
I read that is that he'd rather stay home than drive a Roush car. Ouch.

A shame considering I've been saying Roush was in trouble for quite a while. The fact that Edwards somehow got them wins and in the Chase for 2014 was a miracle.

Anyone else thinking Biffle IS contending for wins....

In Xfinity or Trucks in 2017? He's officially been squeezed out of the Cup series. I don't see him going to the 44, I think the debacle that screwed Jeb Burton will be rectified with at least a part time cup ride. I don't see him going to Penske and starting a third official team. I don't see him accepting a ride at Front Row, BK Racing, or the lot. If he can salvage a sponsor, I can see him in a competitive Xfinity car or a strong truck.

In Xfinity or Trucks in 2017? He's officially been squeezed out of the Cup series. I don't see him going to the 44, I think the debacle that screwed Jeb Burton will be rectified with at least a part time cup ride. I don't see him going to Penske and starting a third official team. I don't see him accepting a ride at Front Row, BK Racing, or the lot. If he can salvage a sponsor, I can see him in a competitive Xfinity car or a strong truck.

If that is anything to go by, I think he's done with driving, period.

If Burton had sponsorship to offer he'd have finished out the XFINITY season. The 44's driver needs to bring a sponsor to the table.

That was Burton's sponsor that stopped paying? I thought it was on the team side.
Sponsor stopped paying regardless. If Burton found somebody he can easily find a Truck/XFINITY ride.

I feel bad for Burton. His career was killed by a terrible year at BK Racing and now he's washed up at 24

If the past few years have taught us anything, it's that equipment trumps talent 10 to 1. Bowman looked like a stud in the 88 car toward the end of the year. Put him back in "regular" equipment, and he's going to go back to being that kid that was 7 laps down in every race.

I think Biffle is better than the 25th best driver in the field, but his equipment is crap. Same goes for Bowyer.

Ladies and gentlemen, it has begun:

C24172XKECL-1.jpg

10000x better than last year's

Thought it was interesting that Cheez it backed out at Roush and then a few weeks later they had small logos on the 20.

I wouldn't look too far into that, those logos are mostly due to the Dollar General sponsorship which is going away.

With Haas going to Ford I think the writing's on the wall for Roush at this point. They should keep racing though. Maybe buy a pair of GT4 Mustang's and hold out there. But I don't think their stockcar efforts are sustainable any longer. Decent drivers are in their pool, but with the equipment being so bad (and with Penske alone proving its not the Ford) there just isn't any way for anyone to do jack squat in those cars.

A Roush collapse was iminent the moment he got rid of Edwards, Kenseth, and McMurray in exchange for Stenhouse and Bayne

Mcmurray just wasn't the best of the Roush cars along with NASCAR clamping down on 5 car teams. However, Roush didn't get rid of Kenseth and Edwards, they left (just as Greg Biffle recently did). Frankly, Roush is not a place anyone should be at right now and that sadly means new guys like Ty Majeski are in for a really bad time.

Roush just fired their General Manager so it seems that they are trimming the fat but also looks like a little untimely overall. Dollar short and a couple years too late.

I have a few things to say regarding the upcoming season:

What is NASCAR thinking with these late starts?

Why not just leave the Cup races at 1pm, or, better yet, start the Eastern Time zone races at 12pm or 12:30, like back in the day?

As far as who will get their first victory: Roush will get one at Bristol with Ricky Stenhouse Jr. or at a restrictor-plate track with Trevor Bayne.

To be honest, I see Greg Biffle more than likely hanging it up, to be honest with you, unless he's taking a year off with intent to return in 2018 or something. Speaking of hanging it up, I see Matt Kenseth and Dale Jr. retiring no later than 2018.

Latest Posts

Back