2017 NASCAR Discussion threadNASCAR 

• Thread starter MustangRyan
  • 3,756 comments
What is NASCAR thinking with these late starts?

That's just where the chicken landed.

(It's South Park so be advised)

Speaking of hanging it up, I see Matt Kenseth and Dale Jr. retiring no later than 2018.

I wouldn't be surprised if '17 is Kenseth's farewell tour as his contract is up, he's said he wants to retire with Gibbs and Visser says he only expects Jones to stick around for a year.

Jr. is a little harder to predict as I think it depends on his health and Byron's performance next year.

I have a few things to say regarding the upcoming season:

Why not just leave the Cup races at 1pm, or, better yet, start the Eastern Time zone races at 12pm or 12:30, like back in the day?

As far as who will get their first victory: Roush will get one at Bristol with Ricky Stenhouse Jr. or at a restrictor-plate track with Trevor Bayne.

To be honest, I see Greg Biffle more than likely hanging it up, to be honest with you, unless he's taking a year off with intent to return in 2018 or something. Speaking of hanging it up, I see Matt Kenseth and Dale Jr. retiring no later than 2018.
The logic is that by starting the races later, the end of the races will be closer to prime time.

It was fine and dandy when I first started watching NASCAR in the mid 90's. However, once NASCAR started really getting popular, they started moving the start times back. That was annoying to me because I used to enjoy watching the early afternoon race and still have time to do other activities after the race was over because there was still plenty of daylight left. When they started pushing the start times further and further back (I guess, as mentioned, to get closer to prime time as well as suit the folks on the west coast who didn't have to get up early to watch a race), there went the rest of my day. I'd sit there and twiddle my thumbs as I sat through 2 mind numbing hours of prerace (which is about 1 1/2 hours longer than needed IMO), finally watch the race, then look outside and see it's already getting dark. Then NASCAR started to see the declining ratings as well as ever-smaller attendance at places like California Speedway, signaling interest had waned, especially way out west. So a few scant years ago, they reverted back and moved up some of the start times to where they used to be (or close to) because had people stopped tuning in. Slowly the past two years or so, races here and there have been pushed back a half hour, maybe hour once again. You could still always count on Pocono, Martinsville and New Hampshire starting early. It sounds like even those may be starting late again.

Why? The experiment didn't really work the first time around. Why do they think it would increase interest again? I'm just waiting for them to install lights at every track. Eventually every race will either be a straight up night race or start in the late afternoon and finish under the lights. Long gone are the days the Daytona 500 or Brickyard would start at 12 or even 11...

I have to agree with you 100%. Drago. I came up in 2001, and in that era, I remember when races started at a sensible time, around 12-12:30pm. If there was weather in the area, some races would skip the prerace, and go straight to the starting lineup.

I don't see why we need an hour long prerace show in the first place. Half an hour is just fine. There's nothing that bothers me more than a race starting at 2pm, getting delayed by rain or something, and running past 6pm, giving me less time to enjoy the day, especially in the spring/early fall.

Heck, I think that West Coast race start times should be moved up to 11:30am or noon local time.

There is NO reason for a Sprint Cup race on the East Coast to start at 3pm, especially at tracks that have no lights. I understand that Indianapolis and Michigan have late sunset times, but suppose a rainstorm hits the track at around that time, and it takes time to dry the track, or the race has to be postponed? If it starts early, and a storm hits past halfway, we'll have an official race.

I can't see this move working at all. There was nothing wrong with the early start times that we had. NASCAR's losing fans by the boatload, and this move is going to succeed in driving even more fans away.

As far as who will get their first victory: Roush will get one at Bristol with Ricky Stenhouse Jr. or at a restrictor-plate track with Trevor Bayne.

As best, Ricky will as usual get his Regular, bizarre one top-5 a year because its Bristol (the one place he doesn't usually crash for some reason). Restrictor plate just won't happen, its usually triwreckta city (well, it'll be Biwrecta now with only two cars). I honest feel that 2017 is the final season for Roush (assuming they are still going)

To be honest, I see Greg Biffle more than likely hanging it up, to be honest with you, unless he's taking a year off with intent to return in 2018 or something. Speaking of hanging it up, I see Matt Kenseth and Dale Jr. retiring no later than 2018.

If you've seen his tweet Monday Morning, it more or less says he's done.

As for Matt Kenseth and Dale jr, I definitely see Matt Kenseth hanging it up after next year not only to make way for Jones, but to also help his son's racing career (which might also be at Gibbs). Jr though, he's stubborn as hell so he's hanging it up when he says he's hanging it up, period.

I have a few things to say regarding the upcoming season:

Why not just leave the Cup races at 1pm, or, better yet, start the Eastern Time zone races at 12pm or 12:30, like back in the day?
TV wants the races to cross over to prime time. NBC in particular wants to end right at 7 so that that can follow up with the SNF pre-game show.

I guess 12:00 PM, 2:00 P.M. and 7:00 PM EST are too sensible of green flag times for the idiots in charge of NASCAR and the networks?

Nevermind that Yahoo is bollocks, Bringing Monster on board will be either an enormous marketing disaster or, considering the rest of Monster's athlete/entertainment portfolio, a giant step in the right direction. Though it would be better if Monster could ramp up sponsoring more drivers--Like Bubba, Suarez, and to an extent Blaney. IMO it should be the Coca Cola or Pepsi cup next year

Nevermind that Yahoo is bollocks, Bringing Monster on board will be either an enormous marketing disaster or, considering the rest of Monster's athlete/entertainment portfolio, a giant step in the right direction. Though it would be better if Monster could ramp up sponsoring more drivers--Like Bubba, Suarez, and to an extent Blaney. IMO it should be the Coca Cola or Pepsi cup next year
What are people under 35 most interested in? Coke, Pepsi, Monster - or maybe Facebook, Instagram or Twitter? "Instagram Cup" has a nice ring to it, eh?

What are people under 35 most interested in? Coke, Pepsi, Monster - or maybe Facebook, Instagram or Twitter? "Instagram Cup" has a nice ring to it, eh?

It may have a nice ring, but the filters will make the on track product look uglier than it already is. :lol:

It may have a nice ring, but the filters will make the on track product look uglier than it already is. :lol:
Somehow or another, NASCAR must should be be rescued from its decline in the seats and on TV. I don't know how it's going to reach out to those under 35. Maybe it's just not going to, and we must deal with it as a sport in gradual, permanent decline?

Being genuine here...but how? I have an inkling as to where this is going but not much else. Not arguing its wrong or anything here, just kinda confused.
It's all about who the season sponsor is going to be , the health of NASCAR, and where it is all headed.

How about something simple, like the NASCAR Cup Series or the Grand National Series, a semi-throwback to the days of old? Or would that even fly in today's world?
Like go without a serious sponsor? That's lot less money to go around. But personally, I wouldn't mind. The serious would still show up. Roger Penske for one would race somewhere, even if he had to carry the cars on his back.

Given NASCAR's current demographic, Facebook or twitter seems like a good fit lol

Would anyone here like a Custom Avatar with their favorite driver? Here's some examples I made earlier in the year:

GTP SHR 4 Avatar.png

GTP SHR 14 Avatar.png

GTP SHR 41 Avatar.png

I've got all the numbers and team logos so I can throw them together very quickly.

Back