2017 NASCAR Discussion threadNASCAR 

• Thread starter MustangRyan
  • 3,756 comments
Drum roll please....:
http://www.nascar.com/en_us/news-me...ar-announces-new-race-format-2017-season.html

http://www.nascar.com/en_us/news-media/articles/2017/1/23/new-nascar-race-format-2017-announced.html
Good bye NASCAR, tired of this crap.
tumblr_m69m2t746z1rxp0b7o1_500.gif

So they confirmed it? Segment based races with some humble pie bullcrap thrown in to make it "exciting"?

Splitting each race into three "stages?" I take back what I said yesterday; NASCAR wants the "R" in its name to stand for rallying, apparently... :confused:

Yup, it's confirmed, they killed it. The entire thing is now a giant joke. 🤬

Just like Brian France! :dopey:

I remember Tony Stewart saying a few years back when they reduced the power of the Cup cars "If I wanted to run a Nationwide car, I'd save a day out of my week and go run a Nationwide car."

I can almost here him saying now "If I wanted to run segmented races, O'd save a day out of my week and go run a dirt race."

How is Brian France still head of this?

Im absolutely 🤬 dissapointed in Jr., Hamlin and Brad to thinking this 🤬 was good. I cant 🤬 believe they will be this stupid to think of these rules.
I'm pretty sure they were just paying lip service because they know NASCAR is watching them and would probably fine them if they said anything that wasn't entirely positive.

If the drivers knew in advance...I think we found out the real reason why Tony and Carl retired.

I think Tony was just burned out and would have left even if they weren't changing anything. I could see it putting Carl over the edge, though.

What NASCAR fans did they even consult, and why the hell did Denny, Brad, and Dale Jr. sign off on this crap?

And this essentially means that there will never, ever be another caution free race in any of NASCAR's top 3 series.

I think Tony was just burned out and would have left even if they weren't changing anything. I could see it putting Carl over the edge, though.
Pretty much. Tony wasn't really the same after he busted his leg and what happened afterward, plus all the added responsibility of being a team and track owner, likely took all the energy out of him. Carl suddenly walking away makes a lot more sense now, though.

Wouldn't surprise me in the least if NASCAR top brass had already made the decision and then took it to the driver's council saying "You can adjust some things to be more to your liking, but this is how it's going to be now and that's not negotiable so don't even argue about it."

I use to follow NASCAR a long time ago. I just suddenly stopped. :confused: But I can understand & see why you're all annoyed at this change that wasn't needed. If you think it's bad enough they changed it into 3 Heats (I like to call them heats instead of stages for some reason don't ask) you should check Twitter. Everyone NASCAR associated seems to agree with it. Somethings not right, it feels as if they have opened a Birthday card with no money. Acting happy but inside dissapointed. :boggled:

I guess here is where I'll make my debut to this thread for this season of NASCAR. I took a few notes and have some thoughts on this new format revealed tonight. Here goes...

Stages? Really? :odd: Yep... NASCAR is almost basically just another usual American pro sport. It has gone WELL away from being any traditional motorsport. You know how we have "SMH" (stratching my head) or "SMDH" (stratching my damn head) in Internet lingo? Well, that's how I feel about this format change. Now NASCAR is even more lost than how it's been before the whole Chase format took form.

So my thoughts... either "SMH" or *facepalm*. I'll still watch as many of the races I can, but it's going to be damned difficult to try to follow NASCAR as any motorsport without thinking of it being like its own NFL or Major League Baseball or anything. Hell, you might as well draft drivers to cars or draft drivers to teams. This proves something I've always said- "different doesn't always mean better." The new format is different, but I don't think it will make it better, and I am speaking as a motorsports enthusiast. And it isn't like NASCAR has had some kind of identity crisis prior to these new changes. I'm just... mostly indifferent here on NASCAR with this new style showcased.

Time for me to play teacher and hand out some grades. How would I grade NASCAR with this new format across the top National Series? Simple: F. Or to be remotely kind: D-. Some of you may be better off trying to follow the lower NASCAR series rather than look at the top three Touring Series. Also to you people on social media, look at the various Facebook and Twitter responses (among other platforms) to this series. Actually, many of the Twitter comments are a bit more jovial and hopeful from me preparing this post. Many of them are in an uproar and are disappointed also. But if it's all about making money, NASCAR will do almost anything to help that cause.

We will see how this all plays out, but it's going to be real tough now to follow NASCAR with these changes among the top series.

Agreed. I'm not a fan of the segments, because it ensures that we will never have another caution free race in NASCAR.

I would have been able to get behind the points if it meant the playoffs were scrapped entirely.

Likely, I will only be watching a handful of races across the three series. I have a feeling that more fans will be leaving in droves as time goes on.

Back