2017 NASCAR Discussion threadNASCAR 

• Thread starter MustangRyan
  • 3,756 comments
I don't know if any of you are old enough to remember the crazy pit rules that NASCAR started in 1991 after that horrible crash in the pits at Atlanta. But, I think that is the only thing that NASCAR has done that is stupider than this new format.
Wasn't that the on where pit placement and timings were determined by if your number was odd or even?

I don't know if any of you are old enough to remember the crazy pit rules that NASCAR started in 1991 after that horrible crash in the pits at Atlanta. But, I think that is the only thing that NASCAR has done that is stupider than this new format.

Was that the thing with Ned Jarret explaining "cars with an orange sticker pit first, then cars with a green sticker pit the next lap" or something? I've seen videos of that. Honestly, compile all the new age crap versus that and I'd rather have the latter.

Wasn't that the on where pit placement and timings were determined by if your number was odd or even?

Yeah, it was no one could change tires under caution, and cars that had odd qualifying positions could pit on the 2nd green flag lap and even qualified cars pitted on the 3rd green flag lap.

Was that the thing with Ned Jarret explaining "cars with an orange sticker pit first, then cars with a green sticker pit the next lap" or something? I've seen videos of that. Honestly, compile all the new age crap versus that and I'd rather have the latter.

It was blue on the odd positions, and orange on the evens.

I'm sorry what? :odd: What the hell kind of system is that?

In 1990 at the last race at Atlanta, during a caution Ricky Rudd locked up his brakes and spun into Bill Elliots car while the crew was changing the right side tires, and the right rear tire changer was killed. This was before they used a pit road speed limit and instead of implementing one, NASCAR decided to use this crazy system instead. But they discontinued it and started having a pit road speed limit at the 6th race that year at Bristol.

Gave it chance to at least see the full picture and it looks like its way more nonsensical then I expected. "Natural brakes in the action" What in any way is natural about a force pause?

And the worst thing is instead of cup, its all three series.

Looks like I can just cut out most of Fox this year entirely (save the two road races they'll broadcast)

Welp, looks like another year of only watching the 500 and road course races. :rolleyes:

Depending on what they do with the 500, Even that Might be skipped for the first time for me.

I kinda think both last year's Caution Clock and the Pit road rules from 2009 In the Truck series (Its purpose to "Save the teams money") are right up there.

In 1990 at the last race at Atlanta, during a caution Ricky Rudd locked up his brakes and spun into Bill Elliots car while the crew was changing the right side tires, and the right rear tire changer was killed. This was before they used a pit road speed limit and instead of implementing one, NASCAR decided to use this crazy system instead. But they discontinued it and started having a pit road speed limit at the 6th race that year at Bristol.
So they panicked and tried to alter what they had instead of doing a full rethink.

This is also relatively the same management that decided restrictor plates should be used at New Hampshire when Kenny Irwin and Adam Petty died after their throttles stuck.

Gave it chance to at least see the full picture and it looks like its way more nonsensical then I expected. "Natural brakes in the action" What in any way is natural about a force pause?

And the worst thing is instead of cup, its all three series.

Depending on what they do with the 500, Even that Might be skipped for the first time for me.

I kinda think both last year's Caution Clock and the Pit road rules from 2009 In the Truck series (Its purpose to "Save the teams money") are right up there.

I was just referring to the Cup Series, the caution clock is definitely the worst idea NASCAR ever had.

So they panicked and tried to alter what they had instead of doing a full rethink.

This is also relatively the same management that decided restrictor plates should be used at New Hampshire when Kenny Irwin and Adam Petty died after their throttles stuck.

Yeah, and according to the CBS broadcast NASCAR didn't fully explain the system to the drivers and teams until the day before the Twin 125s.

Last edited:
Haven't bothered to read through the entire articles posted here, so this may be in there somewhere. But on Jayski's post for the new changes, I found this nice little nugget:

"There will be no bonus points for leading a lap or leading the most laps."

If they want more competitive racing, why go backwards with this? So a driver could drive his butt off in one of the first segments, leading from the green, then blow a tire with 1 to go in said segment and finish outside the top 10 and not even be given 1 lousy point for his effort. Just awesome...

Brian France with DirecTV:

7a71a66ba7941f24ed6128ab8e880515.jpg

Brian France with cable:

2014-Daytona-Sprint-Cup-Brian-France-Press-Conference-Credit-Phil-Allaway-660x439.jpg

This post doesn't make any sense, but neither does the new format. :dopey:

His facial features genuinely look pasted on to me in this picture, are we sure he's not some robot sent to kill NASCAR?

I think I have the correct gif to today's announcement:

nascar-fail-gif.gif

In some way, I should thank NASCAR. I may have more free Sundays this year.

The big thing that I don't like about these changes is that the segments will be broken up with cautions, points I'm not that concerned about but find to be very complicated. I'll have to wait to see it in action before I begin to really criticize it. I'll continue to watch the sport because my favorite driver is competing in it, I just wish they'd stop making rule changes ever 2 years...

In case anyone haven't read the FAQ on the new system :

NASCAR's race enhancements announced Monday detailed how and why races will be run in stages in 2017. Below are answers to some of the potential questions.

How many stages are in a race?

Three -- Stage 1, Stage 2 and the Final Stage. Stage 1 and Stage 2 will reward drivers who are leading, or in the top 10, at the conclusion of each stage. The Final Stage will determine the race winner.

What is Stage 1?

The green flag begins the race, and therefore Stage 1. Its length is approximately 25-30 percent of the event's total length -- it is different for each race, dependent on track size and race length -- with the ending marked via a stage checkered flag (the stage can end under caution, if necessary).

Who benefits most?

Drivers who are running first through 10th at the conclusion of Stage 1 will receive stage bonus points, starting with 10 points for first place, nine points for second place, down to one point for 10th place. Additionally, the driver who finishes Stage 1 first will receive one playoff point to carry into the postseason, should that driver qualify. Those can add up quickly over the course of a season.

What about Stage 2?

At the conclusion of Stage 1, there is a caution period for drivers to come down pit road (innovative strategies will be crucial under these enhancements.) Stage 2 will then begin with a drop of the green flag for the restart. Its length is approximately 25-30 percent of the event's total length -- it is different for each race, dependent on track size and race length -- with the ending marked via a stage checkered flag (the stage can end under caution, if necessary).

What about Stage 2 bonus points?

Same as Stage 1: Drivers who are running first through 10th at the conclusion of Stage 2 will receive stage bonus points, starting with 10 points for first place, nine points for second place, down to one point for 10th place. Additionally, the driver who finishes Stage 2 first will receive one playoff point to carry into the postseason.

What about the final stage?

Following another caution period, which gives fans another natural break in the action, the final stage begins with another green flag drop and restart. Drivers then race for the event win ... and the five bonus points that come with it.

How are points distributed?

The final stage produces the race results, so the end of the final stage is the end of the race. Whoever crosses the start/finish line first at the checkered flag is the race winner. Race points are then awarded to the entire field based on finishing order. The winner receives 40 points. Second place receives 35 points, third place receives 34 points, fourth place receives 33 points ... down to one point for drivers who finish 36th-40th.

There no longer will be a bonus point for leading a lap, or a bonus point for leading the most laps.

And the winner?

The race winner receives five bonus points toward the postseason (this is up from three last year under the new enhancements), plus postseason eligibility. If a driver leads at the end of both Stage 1 and Stage 2, and then wins the race, then he or she would receive seven bonus points to carry into the postseason.

For which series were these enhancements designed?

The Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series, the NASCAR XFINITY Series and the NASCAR Camping World Truck Series will all use this enhanced format.

By rewarding hard racing through the duration of the season, will there be an official regular-season champion?

Yes, there formally will be a regular-season champion. That driver will earn 15 additional playoff points to carry into the postseason.

Any more bonus points for points standings at the end of the regular season?

Yes. In addition to the regular-season champion, drivers who finish in the top 10 of the regular season all receive some measure of playoff points to take into the postseason. Here's the breakdown:

First place in regular season points earns a driver 15 playoff bonus points in addition to the points earned with race or stage wins; second place earns 10 playoff points; third place, 8; fourth place, 7; fifth place, 6; sixth place, 5; seventh place, 4; eighth place, 3; ninth place, 2; 10th place, 1.

In this enhanced format, when is a race official?
At the conclusion of Stage 2.

How does the postseason work?

Once the postseason begins, points will be reset to 2,000 for the opening round, with each driver's accrued bonus points tacked onto that total. Four drivers still will be eliminated in each round of the postseason, setting up a final four in Miami for all three national series.

What is the tweak for playoff points?

Playoff points earned for race wins or for leading at the end of Stage 1 or Stage 2 now will carry over round-by-round if a driver continues advancing. It's not just for the first round any more. Additionally, drivers can build off and add to those bonus points.

So if a driver has 70 playoff points heading into the postseason, and then wins the playoff opener (five-point bonus), he or she would advance to the next round and carry 75 additional points -- or more, depending on his or her results over the next two races in the round.

Does winning a race in the postseason still automatically qualify that driver for the next round, regardless of points?

Yes. Winning trumps all.

Will bonus points still carry over to Miami?

No. Miami is the exception. All four drivers competing for the championship will start with the same amount of points. There will be no bonus points for this race for those final four drivers. First to the line wins the title.

Source :

http://www.nascar.com/en_us/news-me...-questions-2017-race-format-enhancements.html

In case anyone haven't read the FAQ on the new system :

NASCAR's race enhancements announced Monday detailed how and why races will be run in stages in 2017. Below are answers to some of the potential questions.

How many stages are in a race?

Three -- Stage 1, Stage 2 and the Final Stage. Stage 1 and Stage 2 will reward drivers who are leading, or in the top 10, at the conclusion of each stage. The Final Stage will determine the race winner.

What is Stage 1?

The green flag begins the race, and therefore Stage 1. Its length is approximately 25-30 percent of the event's total length -- it is different for each race, dependent on track size and race length -- with the ending marked via a stage checkered flag (the stage can end under caution, if necessary).

Who benefits most?

Drivers who are running first through 10th at the conclusion of Stage 1 will receive stage bonus points, starting with 10 points for first place, nine points for second place, down to one point for 10th place. Additionally, the driver who finishes Stage 1 first will receive one playoff point to carry into the postseason, should that driver qualify. Those can add up quickly over the course of a season.

What about Stage 2?

At the conclusion of Stage 1, there is a caution period for drivers to come down pit road (innovative strategies will be crucial under these enhancements.) Stage 2 will then begin with a drop of the green flag for the restart. Its length is approximately 25-30 percent of the event's total length -- it is different for each race, dependent on track size and race length -- with the ending marked via a stage checkered flag (the stage can end under caution, if necessary).

What about Stage 2 bonus points?

Same as Stage 1: Drivers who are running first through 10th at the conclusion of Stage 2 will receive stage bonus points, starting with 10 points for first place, nine points for second place, down to one point for 10th place. Additionally, the driver who finishes Stage 2 first will receive one playoff point to carry into the postseason.

What about the final stage?

Following another caution period, which gives fans another natural break in the action, the final stage begins with another green flag drop and restart. Drivers then race for the event win ... and the five bonus points that come with it.

How are points distributed?

The final stage produces the race results, so the end of the final stage is the end of the race. Whoever crosses the start/finish line first at the checkered flag is the race winner. Race points are then awarded to the entire field based on finishing order. The winner receives 40 points. Second place receives 35 points, third place receives 34 points, fourth place receives 33 points ... down to one point for drivers who finish 36th-40th.

There no longer will be a bonus point for leading a lap, or a bonus point for leading the most laps.

And the winner?

The race winner receives five bonus points toward the postseason (this is up from three last year under the new enhancements), plus postseason eligibility. If a driver leads at the end of both Stage 1 and Stage 2, and then wins the race, then he or she would receive seven bonus points to carry into the postseason.

For which series were these enhancements designed?

The Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series, the NASCAR XFINITY Series and the NASCAR Camping World Truck Series will all use this enhanced format.

By rewarding hard racing through the duration of the season, will there be an official regular-season champion?

Yes, there formally will be a regular-season champion. That driver will earn 15 additional playoff points to carry into the postseason.

Any more bonus points for points standings at the end of the regular season?

Yes. In addition to the regular-season champion, drivers who finish in the top 10 of the regular season all receive some measure of playoff points to take into the postseason. Here's the breakdown:

First place in regular season points earns a driver 15 playoff bonus points in addition to the points earned with race or stage wins; second place earns 10 playoff points; third place, 8; fourth place, 7; fifth place, 6; sixth place, 5; seventh place, 4; eighth place, 3; ninth place, 2; 10th place, 1.

In this enhanced format, when is a race official?
At the conclusion of Stage 2.

How does the postseason work?

Once the postseason begins, points will be reset to 2,000 for the opening round, with each driver's accrued bonus points tacked onto that total. Four drivers still will be eliminated in each round of the postseason, setting up a final four in Miami for all three national series.

What is the tweak for playoff points?

Playoff points earned for race wins or for leading at the end of Stage 1 or Stage 2 now will carry over round-by-round if a driver continues advancing. It's not just for the first round any more. Additionally, drivers can build off and add to those bonus points.

So if a driver has 70 playoff points heading into the postseason, and then wins the playoff opener (five-point bonus), he or she would advance to the next round and carry 75 additional points -- or more, depending on his or her results over the next two races in the round.

Does winning a race in the postseason still automatically qualify that driver for the next round, regardless of points?

Yes. Winning trumps all.

No. Miami is the exception. All four drivers competing for the championship will start with the same amount of points. There will be no bonus points for this race for those final four drivers. First to the line wins the title.

Source :

http://www.nascar.com/en_us/news-me...-questions-2017-race-format-enhancements.html
Why does there have to be cautions between segments? Just make it a normal damn race for christ's sake.

Yes. Winning trumps all.

So earning bonus points from the Stages are completely redundant since Winning still takes priority over points and Miami still sets everyone at stone.

What is the point in these stages again?

Reading through all that makes me feel like the entire reason for segments is just so they have pre-scheduled commercial breaks. If winning a race is still the main way of getting into the Chase and the last race is still first to the line wins, then why even bother inventing a complicated new point system that will likely never have a major effect on the overall outcome?

Reading through all that makes me feel like the entire reason for segments is just so they have pre-scheduled commercial breaks. If winning a race is still the main way of getting into the Chase and the last race is still first to the line wins, then why even bother inventing a complicated new point system that will likely never have a major effect on the overall outcome?
*Commercial Cautions sponsored by Credit One Bank*

*Commercial Cautions sponsored by Credit One Bank*
Y'know, given how obsessed Brian France seems to be with copying things from football in a futile attempt to beat the NFL in TV ratings, I'm surprised they aren't going to open every segment with a 5 lap sprint followed by a caution to simulate the commercial-kickoff-commercial routine.

🤬 all that. "Enhanced" System? Enhanced for whom? The money people that have been appeased over the last few years with a more "business-friendly" direction? The elite teams that already have most of the money, power, and prestige? How can they call it a "Natural Break" when it's a forced stoppage? Everything about this feels artificial, fake, and staged. It really does feel like WWE.

🤬 all that. "Enhanced" System? Enhanced for whom? The money people that have been appeased over the last few years with a more "business-friendly" direction? The elite teams that already have most of the money, power, and prestige? How can they call it a "Natural Break" when it's a forced stoppage? Everything about this feels artificial, fake, and staged. It really does feel like WWE.
Hang on, at least NASCAR isn't pushing 1 man that no one wants to be the face of the company ;)

I wonder what the drivers and teams think of the new "enhanced" format ... it will be interesting to see the 1st race ( strategy by teams, driver standing, fans response etc )

I wonder what the drivers and teams think of the new "enhanced" format ... it will be interesting to see the 1st race ( strategy by teams, driver standing, fans response etc )
On the surface it seems to be almost all in favor. Even old guard guys like Mark Martin SAY they like it. Whether or not they actually do is another case entirely.

There's no way to beat the NFL in ratings no matter how hard you try. In fact, trying to surpass the NFL is worse than letting everything play out naturally.

NASCAR has been below all four major "stick and ball" sports for years. Desperate moves such as what Brian France is attempting are going to send it into obscurity. Anybody noticing how IndyCar is gaining more relevance and popularity as of recent years than NASCAR? Because there are no gimmicks, just old-school championship racing.

Hang on, at least NASCAR isn't pushing 1 man that no one wants to be the face of the company ;)
That raises an interesting question: is there anyone in the current field of Cup drivers that is just flat-out disliked by everyone in the stands right now? I mean, I haven't really heard anyone get the kind of thunderous boos that Jeff Gordon got back in the day when everyone thought he was a snotty little rich kid stealing wins from Dale Sr. Brad and Kyle get some flak once in a while for things they do, but it always seems to blow over after a couple weeks.

On the surface it seems to be almost all in favor. Even old guard guys like Mark Martin SAY they like it. Whether or not they actually do is another case entirely.
I imagine right now NASCAR is watching social media like crazy to make sure nobody steps out of line. "Comments detrimental to the sport" and all, y'know.

There's no way to beat the NFL in ratings no matter how hard you try. In fact, trying to surpass the NFL is worse than letting everything play out naturally.

NASCAR has been below all four major "stick and ball" sports for years. Desperate moves such as what Brian France is attempting are going to send it into obscurity. Anybody noticing how IndyCar is gaining more relevance and popularity as of recent years than NASCAR? Because there are no gimmicks, just old-school championship racing.
At the rate it's going, ARCA and ASA might still have a chance to live, and even thrive some.

That raises an interesting question: is there anyone in the current field of Cup drivers that is just flat-out disliked by everyone in the stands right now? I mean, I haven't really heard anyone get the kind of thunderous boos that Jeff Gordon got back in the day when everyone thought he was a snotty little rich kid stealing wins from Dale Sr. Brad and Kyle get some flak once in a while for things they do, but it always seems to blow over after a couple weeks.

I imagine right now NASCAR is watching social media like crazy to make sure nobody steps out of line. "Comments detrimental to the sport" and all, y'know.
I can't think of a driver, but NASCAR Brass may as well be The Corporation. I certainly believe they're looking to quell dissent, I wonder how much they paid Richard Petty to say he agreed with it.

Because reasons, according to the "all-knowing" NASCAR brass.

There really is no reason for this new points system if the final four are just gonna be reset before Miami.

Back