2017 NASCAR Discussion threadNASCAR 

• Thread starter MustangRyan
  • 3,756 comments
Please do tell how in a system where all you're doing is counting the total points earned at the end of the season that a race does not matter. My previous post refers to times before the chase, just lay them all out and count them all up, no "playoffs." Consistency is what makes races matter, not winning.

Not since 2003 when Matty won the championship with 3 races to go and only one win...everybody's head assploded and NASCAR has been trying to figure out how to make wins matter above all else.

Not since 2003 when Matty won the championship with 3 races to go and only one win...everybody's head assploded and NASCAR has been trying to figure out how to make wins matter above all else.

That's the point I'm making, to make every race matter the championship needs to be based on consistency and not winning at given times in the season.

That's the point I'm making, to make every race matter the championship needs to be based on consistency and not winning at given times in the season.

And that's the point I'm making...when consistency was what mattered everyone through a fit...and this is what we ended up with...and they are still throwing a fit. Seems you just can't please anyone these days :sly:

Why don't we just run 25 laps, no pit stops, and the winner gets 100 points and 🤬 the rest of them. Then the casuals with no interest at all can be distracted just long enough to justify it, there's no scheduled cautions so the regulars are ok with it, it's short enough the sprint car drivers feel at home, and you can turn around and reset in short order.

Meanwhile I'll be elsewhere because I'm not paying current prices for really any of these events.

And that's the point I'm making...when consistency was what mattered everyone through a fit...and this is what we ended up with...and they are still throwing a fit. Seems you just can't please anyone these days :sly:

Well see I was only 10 back then and I thought it was dumb to change it. I didn't hear uproar about Kenseth because I was too young to care, I just watched the darn races full length no pee breaks. :P

Step 1 in the opposition research.;) What did he know and when did he know it.:lol:

Carl+Edwards+Jared+Fogle+SUBWAY+Fresh+Fit+12_dfJS_16cl.jpg

One thing I sort of thought of was maybe dividing the races into stages would sort of unnecessarily make races longer. I wonder if anyone thinks this stage format will make more people better follow races or if it will make the races longer than they need to be. Or is it even an issue?

I like the play-off points but think they made a bad mistake announcing it with the segment format. Now people have to figure out all of this at once

I can't at all imagine with all these convoluted parts to this system, this will make people less likely to just tune in for the final few races as opposed to the whole season. Hell if anything, now they might just watch one race, which is basically one the final one that decides the championship.

It was with only 1 race to go, also funny how I recall no one whining that badly when Terry beat Jeff Gordon in 1996 despite having 2 wins against 10.

I can't at all imagine with all these convoluted parts to this system, this will make people less likely to just tune in for the final few races as opposed to the whole season. Hell if anything, now they might just watch one race, which is basically one the final one that decides the championship.

Agreed. I think I may have mentioned this before, but the only races I'll be watching this season by series are:
MENCS:
Daytona 500
Both Talladega races (I'm a sucker for restrictor plate racing, LOL)
Coca Cola 600
Coke Zero 400
The season finale.
Xfinity:
Both Phoenix races
Talladega
The Summer Iowa Race
Road America
Trucks:
Eldora
Talladega

Agreed. I think I may have mentioned this before, but the only races I'll be watching this season by series are:
MENCS:
Daytona 500
Both Talladega races (I'm a sucker for restrictor plate racing, LOL)
Coca Cola 600
Coke Zero 400
The season finale.
Xfinity:
Both Phoenix races
Talladega
The Summer Iowa Race
Road America
Trucks:
Eldora
Talladega

Nice list. I guess I'll add mine: