2017 NASCAR Discussion threadNASCAR 

• Thread starter MustangRyan
  • 3,756 comments
Personally, I don't mind at all the Monster Cup girl - a different one each week - horning in to the victory circle interview! :bowdown:

I also appreciated the Stenhouse bump and run nudge without wrecking, a true pro move. And I love to hear Kyle
Busch whine. đź‘Ť

The aero and tire package is also superb. The rookie class is phenomenal, and some of the sophomores may be Championship threats! This may be the best year for NASCAR and its fans for quite some time.

I agree. Got my eye on Erik Jones and Suarez still has a lot to learn but those twin 7th places at Phoenix and Auto Club made me smile. Larson has been killing it and I'm happy about that. The current crop of young drivers in itself is what the sport needs to be more attractive to younger fans because once Dale Jr hangs it up, the sport will lose a lot of fans. The youth movement is where it's at. It's great.

Starting to come around to the idea of going to one of the races this weekend...which one though. 42 entered for Xfinity, 40 for Cup. Seven cup guys racing on saturday (Dillon, Dillon, Harvick, Logano, Suarez, Jones, Blaney) BUT David Starr is entered, Mears is in the 98, Jeff Green's making an attempt, Morgan Sheppard, and Jeb's in the 24...Yet I kinda want to see how it goes with the Cup guys on the reprofiled corners.

Starting to come around to the idea of going to one of the races this weekend...which one though. 42 entered for Xfinity, 40 for Cup. Seven cup guys racing on saturday (Dillon, Dillon, Harvick, Logano, Suarez, Jones, Blaney) BUT David Starr is entered, Mears is in the 98, Jeff Green's making an attempt, Morgan Sheppard, and Jeb's in the 24...Yet I kinda want to see how it goes with the Cup guys on the reprofiled corners.
IMG_0668.JPG

Not even funny. That's just ****.
Had a peek at Jayski, apparently it's "not planned for 2018."

NASCAR did race mid-week at one point...they also ran 50/60/70 Cup races a year too around the same time.

I might be able to understand the TV side marginally, to be fair, but has anyone in the positions of power tried leaving a track post-race? TMS may have one of the better setups for tunnelling people out, it's still 3 hours in gridlock if you don't leave early. I'm not doing that on a Tuesday.

Had a peek at Jayski, apparently it's "not planned for 2018."

NASCAR did race mid-week at one point...they also ran 50/60/70 Cup races a year too around the same time.

I might be able to understand the TV side marginally, to be fair, but has anyone in the positions of power tried leaving a track post-race? TMS may have one of the better setups for tunnelling people out, it's still 3 hours in gridlock if you don't leave early. I'm not doing that on a Tuesday.

I agree with that. I could maybe put up with it on a Friday night (and that is a serious maybe), but no way in hell I'd deal with that any other weekday.

I remember once waiting 4 hours at MIS for a cup race because everyone left when the race was postponed for the rain and the wet ground from all the rain wreaked havoc on everyone. That was awful. More recently, we stayed till the end of the NHRA qualifying session 2 a couple years ago at Summit Motorsports park and it took us 2 hours just to get out of the parking lot and another hour and a half to actually get away from the track.

Last year, we waited to leave after the top tier cars were done, and it only took us 20 minutes max to get out of there. Now granted, waiting for the top series isn't plausible for NASCAR since the race is the top tier event, and 20 minutes is the most time I spend for a high school football game if I have to find a spot in line and the police direct traffic, but I'd never deal with a good 3-4 hours on a normal weekday either.

Gusty winds are affecting NASCAR's fastest and now trickiest track as the Xfinity cars are finishing up the 1st stage. Hemric has already ruined his car against the wall. The veterans are having to re-learn what is essentially an all new race track. The new corners may be 120' wide, but there is only one line given the current amount of rubber and wear on the new corners.

Edit:
The race has deteriorated. Spilled gearbox oil forced a red, but the track is still slick. Massive wreck after a restart following a quick yellow after another wreck.

Last edited:
I agree with that. I could maybe put up with it on a Friday night (and that is a serious maybe), but no way in hell I'd deal with that any other weekday.

I remember once waiting 4 hours at MIS for a cup race because everyone left when the race was postponed for the rain and the wet ground from all the rain wreaked havoc on everyone. That was awful. More recently, we stayed till the end of the NHRA qualifying session 2 a couple years ago at Summit Motorsports park and it took us 2 hours just to get out of the parking lot and another hour and a half to actually get away from the track.

Last year, we waited to leave after the top tier cars were done, and it only took us 20 minutes max to get out of there. Now granted, waiting for the top series isn't plausible for NASCAR since the race is the top tier event, and 20 minutes is the most time I spend for a high school football game if I have to find a spot in line and the police direct traffic, but I'd never deal with a good 3-4 hours on a normal weekday either.

MIS isn't that bad to get out of, you just have to know the right way to go. :sly: Like I've said before, I've been in and around that place since I was 6....I know that whole area and the secret "outs" all to well. I also know almost everyone that lives around there and I even have a friend that has plenty of camping space that he rents out on race weekend. If I don't feel like messing around with the parking and such, I just party at his place and golf cart it to the race.

Pre-race is over, I jumped because the flyover came OVER OUR HEADS!

Cars have fired and are rolling off. May not be able to update regularly.

Pre-race is over, I jumped because the flyover came OVER OUR HEADS!

Cars have fired and are rolling off. May not be able to update regularly.

One thing I noticed attending the Auto Club 400 2 weeks ago is that the cars are quieter than they were last year. Can you verify this? The 42 was super quiet. The 78 was very loud.

One thing I noticed attending the Auto Club 400 2 weeks ago is that the cars are quieter than they were last year. Can you verify this? The 42 was super quiet. The 78 was very loud.

Still plenty loud, but it's not as strong as it used to be. I'm in row 26, and in years past single cars would make your lungs vibrate, but aside from my ears bleeding it's not uncomfortable.

The procession is making this very dull though, and I'm here.

What's the point of widening the track when everyone runs right at the white line anyways?
My guess was to give more space on restarts.

Blaney doesn't have a long run car. The problem is that the runs aren't long enough for anyone to get to him and pass him.

Also, all these debris cautions are really defeating the purpose of the damage clock.

This race was awful. Just awful.
I wouldn't call it awful. Boring as hell? Absolutely. Even with fake cautions there was no excitement. It doesn't help that there was no energy here. The crowd was not pumped at all, it felt deflated and stale.

From my perspective, it was a memorable race.

An incredibly fast and challenging track.
High winds with gusts.
Over a dozen lead changes involving half a dozen drivers.
Impressive performance by some rookie and sophomore drivers - the future on display.
Winner comes from last to first.

Skill, bravery, strategy all played role. What's not to like?

Back