2017 NASCAR Discussion threadNASCAR 

• Thread starter MustangRyan
  • 3,756 comments
From my perspective, it was a memorable race.

An incredibly fast and challenging track.
High winds with gusts.
Over a dozen lead changes involving half a dozen drivers.
Impressive performance by some rookie and sophomore drivers - the future on display.
Winner comes from last to first.

Skill, bravery, strategy all played role. What's not to like?

Probably not enough crashes for some people.

I enjoyed the race! Great to see Jimmie win from the back, and fantastic to see Jr. Get a top 5!

From my perspective, it was a memorable race.

An incredibly fast and challenging track.
High winds with gusts.
Over a dozen lead changes involving half a dozen drivers.
Impressive performance by some rookie and sophomore drivers - the future on display.
Winner comes from last to first.

Skill, bravery, strategy all played role. What's not to like?
There were no battles. They all lasted three laps at most, all were predictable watching the 15 laps leading up to the pass, then once it happened the one moving up drive away uncontested.

Everything you said is good, but every race this year has already checked the same marks. Sunday had nothing good that made it stand out.

There were no battles. They all lasted three laps at most, all were predictable watching the 15 laps leading up to the pass, then once it happened the one moving up drive away uncontested.

Everything you said is good, but every race this year has already checked the same marks. Sunday had nothing good that made it stand out.
The battles were made dicier by the new one-lane turns and the high, gusty winds. Not to mention the 190+ mph speeds. Between the tracks in China, California and Texas this weekend, I think Texas was by far the biggest challenge to the drivers - especially with their puny little 2 3/8" spoilers!!

Probably not enough crashes for some people.

I can do without the crashes, we've already lost enough drivers. I curse the people that watch racing just for the crashes, and that goes for the networks also that glorify wrecks by showing them over and over and even have them in their lead ins. Sure, the clips they show doesn't involve any fatalities, but they are still glorifying carnage in racing by showing those clips. I get that there are people that think NASCAR is boring without any crashes, and in my opinion, those people are idiots. (Those that watch racing just for the crashes) Sorry for that rant, but this is just a sore spot with me and has been, even long before Earnhardt Sr.'s death.

The battles were made dicier by the new one-lane turns and the high, gusty winds. Not to mention the 190+ mph speeds. Between the tracks in China, California and Texas this weekend, I think Texas was by far the biggest challenge to the drivers - especially with their puny little 2 3/8" spoilers!!
I'm watching the race re-show on FS1 now. I can already tell the telecasts were better than live.

I wouldn't dismiss Shanghai and Long Beach. All tracks are challenging, otherwise it wouldn't get an event. That said, from my seat, the biggest challenge looked like trying to avoid being on the outside going into the turns.

All that said, my opinions are insignificant and objective, so take it with a grain of salt.

I hated the mostly single file racing, something I fear would happen with the repave. It's going to take years before multiple lanes open up.
It seemed that by the very end of the race enough rubber got laid down that a 2nd lane opened up. I sure as heck hope that the track is well rubbered by the time the Indy car circus comes to town!

It seemed that by the very end of the race enough rubber got laid down that a 2nd lane opened up. I sure as heck hope that the track is well rubbered by the time the Indy car circus comes to town!
Repaves usually promote better IndyCar racing anyways. I wouldn't be terribly concerned about IndyCar's race. IndyCar tends to do ovals well.

@Dotini I also forgot to mention that, due to my father's habit of not doing anything to prepare, my arms were toasted fairly completely. This morning the burned area was as red as your avatar...That may have skewed my opinion somewhat.

I'm ready for Indycar, and I found out that the Super Trucks will be there too!

The new All-Star Race format.
IMG_0729.JPG

From Racer.com:

Setting the field for the All-Star Race will be held the Friday before the All-Star Race and will continue to be done by a three-lap qualifying session. Drivers must make a mandatory four-tire pit stop. What makes this qualifying session one of the most exciting of the year is that there is no speed limit on pit road.

New to qualifying is the Pit Crew Competition Award. The five quickest teams in qualifying will advance to the final round to determine starting positions one through five for the All-Star Race. The team that completes the fastest pit stop will win the award.

The Monster Energy Open (formerly the Sprint Open) has also been moved back to Saturday ahead of the All-Star Race. The 20-20-10 lap race will advance the winner of each stage into the Monster Energy All-Star Race.

Here's how the race will unfold:
- The race will feature four stages (20 laps/20 laps/20 laps/10 laps), totaling 70 laps, an ode to the 1992 edition of the same distance.

– The goal for all competitors: Earn a spot in the final 10-lap, 10-car stage.

– The winner of each of the first three stages will lock up a spot in the final stage, as long as they remain on the lead lap after the third stage.

– The cars with the best average finish in the first three stages will make up the remaining spots needed to fill the 10-car final stage.

– The remaining 10 cars will be lined up by average finish of the first three stages and given the option to pit. Exit off pit road determines starting order for final stage.

– The winner will be awarded $1 million.

In a new twist to the event, teams will also have the option of using one set of softer tires at their discretion. However, teams that choose to use the softer tires to start the final 10-lap stage will have to start behind the teams who are using a regular set of tires. The softer tire will provide additional grip and roughly a half-second of speed.

Had a peek at Jayski, apparently it's "not planned for 2018."

NASCAR did race mid-week at one point...they also ran 50/60/70 Cup races a year too around the same time.

I might be able to understand the TV side marginally, to be fair, but has anyone in the positions of power tried leaving a track post-race? TMS may have one of the better setups for tunnelling people out, it's still 3 hours in gridlock if you don't leave early. I'm not doing that on a Tuesday.
It's a horrible idea.
I wonder how much productivity falls when he's at the shop?

:lol:

Wth :lol:

Looks like the "option" tires may be on the table for 2018. I do suppose NASCAR is one of the last premier racing division to only use one compound, soooo... I'll wait until post-All-Star race to say anything.

Looks like the "option" tires may be on the table for 2018. I do suppose NASCAR is one of the last premier racing division to only use one compound, soooo... I'll wait until post-All-Star race to say anything.
IMSA, PWC, WEC, Blancpain, I think that its though or do the F1 support series only have one tire

IMSA, PWC, WEC, Blancpain, I think that its though or do the F1 support series only have one tire
WEC shouldn't be on that list because there is a "tire war" going on (even though one company ends up being chosen more than the rest). Michelin and Dunlop have multiple compounds that they issue out for their teams.

With all the talk about Alonso doing the Indy race, Lewis Hamilton said he'd possibly consider running the Daytona 500.
I'll put the odds of this actually happening right now at extremely low to not happening at all, but it's quite a thought to ponder if it somehow happens in the future.
As interesting as it would be, I reckon his gist is more that he would like to have the freedom to participate in other big-name motorsports events if he chooses to. Alonso's being allowed to do the Indy 500 largely because Honda's already in there and McLaren appears to be testing the waters of joining Indycar, but I bet Hamilton and many other drivers are under a contract clause that says "You drive for Formula 1 and that's it. None of these side ventures where you might get hurt and cost us points."

About this Dash for Cash in the Xfinity series, do the drivers really get that money or does it go to the team owner?

Latest Posts

Back