2017 NASCAR Discussion threadNASCAR 

• Thread starter MustangRyan
  • 3,756 comments
Nothing on Gibbs' page yet, but here's this:

20170711_155345.png

Jones was the best fit for the 20 IMO. I knew he would end up in the 20 after the 1 year deal in the 77. Not surprising at all. He's young and a great racecar driver. Hate to see Kenseth go but young up and comers will drive for less money.

I'm guessing it depends on what 5-Hour does, if they stick around they either move up one of the Gibbs development drivers or they try stealing one from another team. I would personally like to see what Bubba could do with some top level equipment.

If they leave it's hard to say, Truex should be close to having full outside sponsorship based on this year so they might stick to 2 cars either way.

Does anyone think that Matt Kenseth may just hang it up after the season, even though he said he wants to race a few more years? Because we all thought Carl Edwards would be racing this year before his shock retirement in January.

If we didn't have the charter system, he could have raced in a fifth car for Gibbs part-time to wind his career down. Even though he's had some decent runs, he's not getting any younger.

Does anyone think that Matt Kenseth may just hang it up after the season, even though he said he wants to race a few more years? Because we all thought Carl Edwards would be racing this year before his shock retirement in January.

If we didn't have the charter system, he could have raced in a fifth car for Gibbs part-time to wind his career down. Even though he's had some decent runs, he's not getting any younger.
Depends on the deal he gets. If he can get sponsors to his side, perhaps that 77 doesn't disappear and he stays in the Gibbs fold. Signing with Hendrick wouldn't be a bad thing either, though he's gonna get one of the two "cursed" cars. I don't see a Roush return, Penske or Ganassi could nab him out of need/spite, SHR will need someone bringing money with them, but anything beyond that would be a big step backward for him and I don't think he'll do that, so no RPM, FRM, JTG, BKR, WTF, BBQ, OMG, or LOL.

Depends on the deal he gets. If he can get sponsors to his side, perhaps that 77 doesn't disappear and he stays in the Gibbs fold. Signing with Hendrick wouldn't be a bad thing either, though he's gonna get one of the two "cursed" cars. I don't see a Roush return, Penske or Ganassi could nab him out of need/spite, SHR will need someone bringing money with them, but anything beyond that would be a big step backward for him and I don't think he'll do that, so no RPM, FRM, JTG, BKR, WTF, BBQ, OMG, or LOL.
There is also the long shot that if Dodge is still serious about coming in by next year, he may go to one of their teams. I have no doubt they'd welcome someone with his amount of experience to help them get off the ground.

That's a really big maybe though, and would depend on which teams sign up or jump ship to FCA-land. He's obviously not going to go drive for Starten-Parker Motorsports, after all.

But of trivial knowledge. Matt Kenseth is the longest tenured full time driver. With Jr retiring, he will be the last full time driver to debut before the year 2000.

Ryan Newman and Jimmie Johnson are next on the tenure list.

I believe Kurt Busch would actually be the most tenured driver behind Kenseth as he started his Cup career late in the 2000 season, running 7 races, then going full time the next year. Harvick is next after taking over Sr.'s ride in '01. And while Newman ran 1 race himself at Phoenix in '00, he didn't go full time until '02 like Johnson.

With that said, you are correct. None of the remaining drivers made a start in the 90's aside from Kenseth and Jr. (And Derrike Cope doesn't count because, well...he's Cope and he isn't full time. :lol:)

I believe Kurt Busch would actually be the most tenured driver behind Kenseth as he started his Cup career late in the 2000 season, running 7 races, then going full time the next year. Harvick is next after taking over Sr.'s ride in '01. And while Newman ran 1 race himself at Phoenix in '00, he didn't go full time until '02 like Johnson.

With that said, you are correct. None of the remaining drivers made a start in the 90's aside from Kenseth and Jr. (And Derrike Cope doesn't count because, well...he's Cope and he isn't full time. :lol:)
My bad, you're right about Kurt.

Edit: In other news, Paul Menard is looking at moving to Penske.

Last edited:
Besides Chrysler being anti-motorsport at the moment, I don't know why anybody would want to join a sinking ship of pain and suffering...unless they knew it was gonna fix itself.

That's your opinion. Change isn't necessarily bad. Most you guys hate anything new or different. It's not the 1970s anymore. New manufacturer is coming soon. Belee dat!

That's your opinion. Change isn't necessarily bad. Most you guys hate anything new or different. It's not the 1970s anymore. New manufacturer is coming soon. Belee dat!
Do not hate new, hate what is and is most definitely garbage. The stage system, is horrendous, and the championship format/points system, is as horrendous. NASCAR has shot itself so many times in the foot, there isn't one left.

Nissan, has zero chance of coming back, because even if this series wasn't a wreck, they have limited their efforts to mainly GT500 in Japan and GT3 world wide. And that is even not much.

Honda, has no interest. They're struggling with F1 badly, and next year unveil TCR and DPi programs. That's one hell of an investment.

Do not hate new, hate what is and is most definitely garbage. The stage system, is horrendous, and the championship format/points system, is as horrendous.

Nissan, has zero chance of coming back, because even if this series wasn't a wreck, they have limited their efforts to mainly GT500 in Japan and GT3 world wide. And that is even not much.

Honda, has no interest. They're struggling with F1 badly, and next year unveil TCR and DPi programs.

Opinion. Opinion. Opinion. Opinion. Anything factual?

Ratings as bleh as usual, attendance about as worse as it was last year, and many people making jokes of it. This stage system is horrific, forcing cautions and restarts that cause more cautions and restarts and make these drivers act like complete idiots at times all for a stage win. Which is somehow worth MORE, then the bloody overall win. Racing is not a stick and ball sport, why the hell are we making it that?

Nissan, have dropped multiple racing programs, and are making zero signs of movement. Meanwhile, Honda speaks for itself. It's written clearly in the article, to start from the ground up is ridiculously expensive, and that is what somebody would have to do. You have to design a car body, build up engine facilitates, and then get someone to run your car.

Last edited:
Do not hate new, hate what is and is most definitely garbage. The stage system, is horrendous, and the championship format/points system, is as horrendous. NASCAR has shot itself so many times in the foot, there isn't one left.

I actually like both the Chase and Stages, I just wish they were executed differently.

- The original Chase would have been great as a sub-championship, something to give teams something to fight for after they've been eliminated from the traditional championship. I'm not sold on the elimination setup though.

- My only problem with stages is the caution, remove that and it would be awesome. As is, it just removes much of the strategy making that makes non-sprint racing interesting.

What's wrong with opinions? :confused:

I actually like both the Chase and Stages, I just wish they were executed differently.

- The original Chase would have been great as a sub-championship, something to give teams something to fight for after they've been eliminated from the traditional championship. I'm not sold on the elimination setup though.

- My only problem with stages is the caution, remove that and it would be awesome. As is, it just removes much of the strategy making that makes non-sprint racing interesting.

What's wrong with opinions? :confused:
Stages without caution? That's not so bad, it shouldn't be treated as stages and rather as a continuous race, but with no yellow that'd be palatable. And having the chase as a sub-championship (original like you said) wouldn't be such a bad idea I suppose.

Read as: It can only get worse from here.

Doubt it, Brian France is still NASCAR CEO so it hardly changes anything.

Dodge says a comeback to NASCAR is a no go. But look for Honda or Nissan to make an announcement soon (My personal thoughts)

http://www.thedrive.com/accelerator/12471/dodge-wont-return-to-nascar

Kinda figured Dodge wasn't gonna do it. As many times as they've never given a clear answer, I've been positive they weren't going to be serious about it. As for Honda and Nissan, I'm not too sure. Its not something HPD could much in other then engine power (and that's assuming Honda isn't another make that finds this series irrelevant for Production car stuff like many others do) and I just can't be sure about Nissan. Yes they compete with the other makes when it comes to Trucks on the road (though I'm not sure how high they rate at the moment) but outside of that, I can't see what they'd gain from it. Would Nissan even be willing to spend the massive amounts of time (And money) Toyota did just to be competitive?

Last edited:
Ratings as bleh as usual, attendance about as worse as it was last year, and many people making jokes of it. This stage system is horrific, forcing cautions and restarts that cause more cautions and restarts and make these drivers act like complete idiots at times all for a stage win. Which is somehow worth MORE, then the bloody overall win. Racing is not a stick and ball sport, why the hell are we making it that?

Nissan, have dropped multiple racing programs, and are making zero signs of movement. Meanwhile, Honda speaks for itself. It's written clearly in the article, to start from the ground up is ridiculously expensive, and that is what somebody would have to do. You have to design a car body, build up engine facilitates, and then get someone to run your car.

Ratings are bleh on everything and have been for a few years. All sports and all shows. NASCAR continues to be, despite lower ratings in recent years, the most watched sporting event week in and week out unless it's something big like NBA or whathaveyou. Still translates into millions of viewers. In the age of technology and streaming services, Neilson Ratings are utterly meaningless. F1 still plays on NBCSN and can't even muster a million US viewers but F1 is great and the pinnacle of motorsport. I know it's expensive to start from the ground up but past failures in motorsport and pulling out of different series doesn't directly translate to a lack of interest in a completely different series. What's the point of manufacturer involvement? To sell cars. Want to sell cars to Americans? Ditch F1 which nobody watches or cares about in America, ditch whatever series you are present in if you already haven't that Americans also don't care about. All speculation but Dodge is a broke company who doesn't really have anything to gain by participating in NASCAR. Toyota has had great success in NASCAR despite all the idiots who said they would never do anything in the series. 'Murica types. NASCAR is trying to distance themselves from that. So Toyota's main competitors (besides Chevy and Ford) being Honda and a lesser of a competitor Nissan have a lot to gain. These ratings are late 90's ratings pre NASCAR popularity explosion of the early millennium. NASCAR still has a pretty strong hold on Americans.

Honda and a lesser of a competitor Nissan have a lot to gain. These ratings are late 90's ratings pre NASCAR popularity explosion of the early millennium. NASCAR still has a pretty strong hold on Americans.

I'm not so sure about that.

toyota.JPG

The thing with NASCAR fans is a very large percentage of them fall into one of 3 categories, GM, Ford or Mopar. Sure a few may be swayed by a different manufacturer, but I could certainly see it not being enough to persuade a manufacturer to join, especially when they have an already small motorsport budget.

I also think racing is becoming less effectual at marketing "normal" cars, which is why you see premium brands Acura, Bentley, Cadillac, and Lexus starting racing programs along with the usual sports cars.

I'm not so sure about that.

View attachment 660296

The thing with NASCAR fans is a very large percentage of them fall into one of 3 categories, GM, Ford or Mopar. Sure a few may be swayed by a different manufacturer, but I could certainly see it not being enough to persuade a manufacturer to join, especially when they have an already small motorsport budget.

I also think racing is becoming less effectual at marketing "normal" cars, which is why you see premium brands Acura, Bentley, Cadillac, and Lexus starting racing programs along with the usual sports cars.
Hence, why more broad market manufacturers like Honda choose to use Acura for their GT3 and DPi, and why Toyota uses Lexus for the most part.

My only problem with stages is the caution

So much of this. If Nascar has always been 1 thing it's been single driver endurance racing. Now they take what amounts to coffee breaks that might end up with a fight after it. They've taken what I liked about the sport and thrown it away which is why I haven't seen more than 20 minutes total since the checkered flag fell at the Daytona 500.

Back