2017 NFL Season

• Thread starter Blitz24
  • 592 comments
Lions needed a decent player in the secondary since ours sucked. Looks like we may have picked up a good LB with our first pick to replace Levy.

Cleveland jumps back into round 1, three picks total, after trading with the packers.

Next semi-annoying Cowboy fan chant: TA-CO! TA-CO! TA-CO!

The NFL has reportedly agreed on a rule change that would limit Overtime from 15 minutes to 10 minutes. Feel free to comment on this if you like.

It's official that Overtime will go from 15 minutes to 10. Also, there is reportedly going to be some relaxing on player celebrations for big plays. Many people call the NFL as the "No Fun League." Whatever this being more loose on player celebrations is remains to be seen.

On a sad note, my condolences go out to former Seattle Seahawk DT Cortez Kennedy. He died at the age of 48 and played all 11 years of his career with the Seattle Seahawks. He is a Hall of Famer.

About this time next month, we will have been about halfway through the NFL Preseason. Time to start thinking about who all will be pretenders and contenders. That is... unless you think the New England Patriots will be unchallenged and waltz their way to winning Super Bowl XLII.

At this point it would be foolish to bet against New England. Until Lord Belichick and Darth Brady are gone, the Pats will always be the favorites.

I think Atlanta will take a step backwards and make wildcard at best with Tampa winning the NFC South. I think the Jets tank the season to try and win the race for next year's #1 pick (and USC's QB) and the Evil Patriot Empire wins another AFC East. Oakland or Vegas or whatever will be the class of the AFC West somehow with the Chargers having their worst season in almost two decades. Green Bay will dominate the NFC North with Minnesota and Detroit a gulf of talent away and Chicago in the basement again. A healthy season for Luck will see Indy back on top the AFC South. Arizona will top the NFC West while Seattle falls deeper into mediocrity despite good play from Russel Wilson. The Steelers take the AFC North with ease in what could be Big Ben's last season. Baltimore will be much more relevant this year but Cincinnati will challenge Cleveland for bottom team there. Finally, in the closest division in football, the Cowboys win a close NFC East title race between them and rising star Carson Wentz's Eagles. The Giants and Redskins will find ways to lose division games down the stretch with Washington wishing they had moved on from Captain Kirk and NY realizing that they can't replicate last year's great defense or the Coughlin era Eli.

I also heard on the radio this morning that the Cowboys are preparing to appeal an inevitable suspension of "class act" Zeke Elliott. It is likely he will miss at least the first game of the season, if not more.

I'll place my money on the Lions being a disappointment this year. I mean, they are the Lions, so them either sucking or choking away any chance of a playoff chance if they don't suck is just what they do.

. Green Bay will dominate the NFC North with Minnesota and Detroit a gulf of talent away and Chicago in the basement again.

This, this, this, this, and this. The Packers are the only team in the NFC North that actually have a good roster. The Vikes and Lions have like half a roster each (some players are good and others are absolutely terrible), and the Bears are so bad that even if Trubisky becomes the next Joe Montana they'll probably still suck with their god awful receiving corps. Realistically, the runner up between Detroit and Minnesota will be the one that chokes the least, but both are meh level teams that are fully capable of choking every game.

Many teams are preparing for the new season right about now as Training Camp for a lot of teams are about to get underway. It will soon be time to start thinking about how the upcoming season will go for all of the teams.

With August approaching, it will be time to start thinking about how teams will fare this upcoming season. I figure I'll mention my Texans in this post to get things started. Here is the 2017 season schedule for the Houston Texans:

--- Houston Texans 2017 Schedule ---

* = Division (AFC South) game

(PRESEASON)
AUG 9: at Carolina
AUG 19: New England
AUG 26: at New Orleans
AUG 31: Dallas

(REG. SEASON)
SEP 10: Jackonville*
SEP 14: at Cincinnati
SEP 24: at New England
OCT 1: Tennessee*
OCT 8: Kansas City
OCT 15: Cleveland
~~~ Bye Week after CLE ~~~
OCT 29: at Seattle
NOV 5: Indianapolis*
NOV 12: at Los Angeles Rams
NOV 19: Arizona
NOV 27: at Baltimore
DEC 3: at Tennessee*
DEC 10: San Francisco
DEC 17: at Jacksonville*
DEC 25: Pittsburgh
DEC 31: at Indianapolis*

Quite loaded schedule. At New England, at Seattle, and home against Pittsburgh concern me greatly. Even Kansas City coming to Houston concerns me. I look for the defense to be solid. How solid depends on the likes of JaDeveon Clowney and JJ Watt do. Others like A.J. Bouye, Whitney Mercilus, and Johnathan Joseph (or "J-Jo" as I call him) are usually factors on D. But really, the offense needs to be more consistent. I would just hate for the Texans to give up DeAndre Hopkins or somebody. Tom Savage and Deshaun Watson have to be solid at QB after the failed leadership of Brock Osweiler.

According to Yahoo! Sports, we were 29th in the NFL in passing yards, 8th in rushing yards, and 30th in total yards per game. NOT very good. I hope the offense improves for the Texans. The defense alone can't do all the work. Defense will keep you in games, but your offense is what wins you games. A double-digit win total for Houston will make me happy about this season.

I might talk about other teams in future posts. But if you want to chat about your favorite team(s) this upcoming season, feel free to do so.

Are you ready for some football? That's right, folks! Tonight is the Hall of Fame Game between the Arizona Cardinals and the Dallas Cowboys. This will kick off the Preseason. It will be our first look at some of the many new players and those even to get some proper starting time once the Regular Season comes around.

Enjoy the game if you'll be watching!

Apparently Jay Cutler has come out of retirement to sign with the Dolphins after Ryan Tannehill re-aggravated the knee injury he suffered last year, and he may need surgery for that knee now.

Though the Texans lost 27-17 at the Carolina Panthers in this 2017 NFL Preseason match, I thought Deshaun Watson did a great job at QB. I tend to think Watson should be the Texans QB especially when the regular season starts. Tom Savage didn't really have the keys to the car much when Brock Osweiler stunk as Texans QB, but Savage is still a pretty solid QB. Just not as solid as Watson and a worthwhile upgrade from Osweiler's crappy 2016 run with the Texans.

Mike Glennon is doing one hell of a Jay Cutler impersonation in this game against the Broncos. :lol:

EDIT:
Not to be outdone by that, the Bears D gives up a touchdown on a 3rd and 22. They clearly are making a case to try and be the basement of the NFC North again.

Last edited:
Today is an interesting day in the NFL.

Sammy Watkins got traded to the Rams, and Zeke Elliot got suspended six games after the NFL reviewed the domestic violence allegations.

On a different note, I was watching NFL Network tonight with the Pittsburgh Steelers at the New York Giants in the 2017 NFL Preseason. T.J. Watt- one of J.J. Watt's brothers, just sacked the New York Giants QB. TJ Watt plays for the Pittsburgh Steelers... who the Texans will host on Christmas. Imagine a Watt brothers' defensive battle!

It's Roger Goodell. He's always acted as if he's above the law.
More like, "It's Roger Goodell. He couldn't risk a video of the incidents getting out and the whole thing becoming Ray Rice 2.0."

The NFL had compelling evidence and seem to have actually done their work on this one, granted it took over a year. This is the official letter they gave to Elliott and his legal team outlining their findings through four external advisory experts. One of the experts, former NJ Attorney General Peter Harvey, had this to say:
“One thing that was significant to us is that … [Elliot’s representatives] offered affidavits and declined to be interviewed by investigators, which raised suspicions... Mr. Elliot’s representatives argued in a meeting that maybe Ms. Thompson fell down stairs. There was no witness to say she fell down stairs and there was no photograph of her falling down stairs. The representatives also proposed that Thompson could have injured herself bumping into tables while on the job as a restaurant server or could have gotten into a fight with another woman."

The NFL declined to issue a separate punishment for a St. Patrick's Day 2017 incident mentioned in the investigation as being "inappropriate and disturbing." There is a video of the incident with Elliott pulling down a women's shirt and touching her at a party in Dallas. The league also did not take into account another alleged incident in July 2017. Elliott was named as a potential participant in an assault at a Dallas nightclub where a DJ's nose was broken in a fight. The case was dismissed by Dallas PD when the victim of the assault could not be found.

According to Adam Schefter, "Elliott would forfeit $559,192 in 2017 salary and a possible $1.44M in signing bonus repayment. His $8.15M in guarantees will also void."

The Houston Texans played their first home Preseason game as we hosted the New England Patriots. We won 27-23. I think both Tom Savage and Deshaun Watson played brilliantly at QB. Watson did quite well being elusive and loose. A player I am really starting to like is D'Onta Foreman. I think Freeman will be a solid addition at the Running Back slot for the Texans. The Texans defense was fairly solid also, forcing fumbles and making some nice interceptions. If the Texans are to amount to any hope of being great, the defense needs to be on point while the offense and special teams need to be equally consistent. I really hope the Texans bring this level of performance when we take on the New England Patriots this regular season, this time AT New England. And maybe if the Texans and Patriots make the NFL Playoffs and match up, I hope we can take down the Pats there as well.

Up next, we're at the New Orleans Saints next Saturday night for the next Preseason game.

Congratulations to all of this week's winners as the NFL Preseason continues. Hopefully your favorite team(s) are among the winners, Preseason notwithstanding.

[UPDATE] D'Onta Foreman, not Freeman. Made the changes.

Last edited:
Back