2017 NFL Season

• Thread starter Blitz24
  • 592 comments
Rex is meh in this, but ESPN has just failed hard multiple times in this game. Really cringey sideline reporting and misidentified Vance Joseph (Broncos HC) by panning on an assistant coach and saying the assistant was him. They turned the Broncos/Chargers game into Monday Night Failball with this broadcast.

I am not going to be able to see Monday Night Football much at all since my parents went from Dish to... local TV and Sling TV. So I may not even know just how atrocious the MNF coverage was based on how you all are describing the telecast. Then again, this is ESPN/ABC we're talking about. This is the network who couldn't really care less about any sport that isn't football (gridiron or association), basketball, baseball, golf, or tennis.

I'm in the same boat John. We have multiple stream services instead of cable so no ESPN.

Disney is set to release a streaming option soon which should include ESPN but I've gotten used to missing the Monday night game each week.

drwDcN.png

Jerome

This week of NFL action kicks off with the Houston Texans at the Cincinnati Bengals tomorrow night. The Texans have some injury troubles as well as a decision of who should be quarterback. The Texans' offense is the only real hitch and determinant as to how far we can go this season. I am somewhat confident in a double-digit win season. However, we could easily be 0-3 to start the season after dropping the game against Jacksonville this past Sunday. At Cincinnati followed by at the Patriots is not a very joyous ride. Announced not too long ago, Deshaun Watson will be the QB for the Texans in our game at the Bengals this Thursday night.

I hope all of you enjoy this week's games. Good luck to all of your favorite teams.

[THIS JUST IN...]

Bad to worse for the Texans. Brian Cushing has been suspended 10 games for violating NFL performance-enhancing drugs policy. He won't be able to play again until some time in November. Sucky season to be a Texans fan thus far...

Last edited:
*Watching TV, sees game on*

Oh, let's see how the Turkeys and the Bungles are going...

...Oh dammit, are they really doing the damned 'Color Rush' BS again this year?

Week 2 begins with the debut of Thursday Night Football for the 2017 NFL season. It's an inner-forum rivalry as my Texans took on Dolph Drago and Eva's Cincinnati Bengals in the beautiful city of Cincinnati, Ohio, USA. Southwestern Ohio saw the Texans leave town with a 13-9 win. The game's only touchdown was a beautiful scamper by Deshaun Watson in the first half. It was not an offensive shootout or a basketball-on-grass kind of game. However, considering the Hell we've been through so far this season, we'll take this bit of Heaven. Then... we're probably going back to Hell when we're at the Patriots for Week 3. Yay. I wish the Cincinnati Bengals the best of luck the rest of the season. But the story in this one (to use BKGlover's terms), the "Turkeys" downed the "Bungles" 13-9.

Congratulations to all other winners from the upcoming games in Week 2.

8 quarters and no touchdowns. Well done, Bungles. :banghead: But hey, at least we sort of made history, becoming the first team since the '39 Eagles to open the season with consecutive home games without scoring a touchdown.

The good news is the defense has looked pretty good. Just a shame we can't do anything with the offense. Getting 3 points after 3 points isn't enough to win in the league nowadays.

All that aside, congrats to your team, John. You've got a tough game ahead against the Pats. We get to go to Lambeau...:nervous:

Last edited:
The "Color Rush" for the Houston Texans wasn't ugly, but boring. Or maybe the uniforms were boring to represent the Texans' offensive production. We still won a game where basically our defense kept us afloat at the Bengals. I'm expecting my Texans to get run over at the Patriots in Week 3. Question is... how close can we keep the game. Is it possible the Pats maybe get bored and let us win so we can have some peace of mind?

I actually thought the Cincinnati Bengals would probably bounce back and stun us late. I am confident in my Texans, but I am not extremely confident considering how inept our offense can be. Or look back to last season when we hosted Cincy. We almost lost had the Bengals connect that field goal kick late. On the other hand, Deshaun Watson has looked very well. I like this guy. How he is able to shake off tackles and have good vision in the mid-range and long-range game is what makes him deadly. Maybe not Michael Vick in his prime, but Deshaun Watson is pretty solid. All I want for the Texans is for their offense to be as efficient and as explosive as their defense. You can't rely on the defense to save you all the time if your offense is inept.

Many of the other games this week should be fun. So be sure to enjoy the NFL action this week!

Ken Zampese, Bengals offensive coordinator, was fired today.

I couldn't watch Thursday's game past the first 10 minutes. There was a flag on just about every other play and the quality of football (not specifically in relation to Cincy and Houton but for the league overall) has really gone down. Cincy has regressed to NY Giant O-line standards (i.e. none) and Watson looks really raw in his passing and decision making. When you have Jeremy Hill, Gio Bernard and Joe Mixon to hand the ball to, you need to run the ball (or I guess throw it short if you really have to) 35 times each game. That will give AJ Green all the space he needs downfield. The Texans defense looks solid through the first two weeks, albeit against the Bengals and Jags.

With regards to the quality, I think it is because the teams are basically using the opening weeks as preseason now. Very few teams looked cohesive and organized last week but you could tell that who had put the time in. Teams like the Chiefs, Cowboys and Raiders looked like well oiled machines. Surprisingly, the Falcons and Pats seemed lost at times, even with player substitutions and zone coverage assingments. I know locally, the Jets and Giants barely had starters playing in the preseason (aside from the Jets 3 QBs so they could fight over the job) and even then, OBJ got hurt. The teams' training camp is a joke compared to what it used to be and the sport itself really lacks a minor league system where fringe players can stay in shape.

Texans at Bengals played on Thursday. Upcoming other prime time matches: Packers at Falcons (Sunday Night Football) and Lions at Giants (Monday Night Football). Enjoy all of today's games including tomorrow night's match!

Good luck to all of your favorite teams.

Nelson + Cobb + Daniels (arguably the most important) out with injuries, plus 2 starting linemen...

Not good if any of those injuries are long term for the Packers.

Lions at Giants TONIGHT!

In the shadow of New York City and in the state of New Jersey, the NFC is in vogue tonight as the NFC North meets the NFC East. The Detroit Lions are some cool cats ready to sink their teeth into some Giants. The feisty felines from MoTown are hoping to be 2-0 after tonight. However, the 0-1 New York Giants aren't going to make it easy. So can the Giants tame the Lions? We'll see tonight!

Favored: NYG by 3
Over/Under: 42 pts.

I'm trying a different layout for the betting information. Anyhow, good luck to both Detroit and the New York Giants. I'm sure our AnthonyD1993 and Joey D will be watching and hope their Lions pull this one out.

Lions should be 4 point favorites: Final score, 27-6 Lions (27-12 if OBJ plays).

Ereck Flowers vs. Ziggy Ansah = 4 sacks easy.

I know "bigger, stronger, faster" is the order of the day, but FFS how about durability making a comeback.
Same thing is happening in baseball. Players (pitchers especially) have no flexibility and injuries are plaguing the sport.

The only way the Lions win is if Eli Manning continues to be Eli Manning and throw nothing but incomplete passes and INT. I'm hoping they win though, Detroit has me excited for football this year even though I know I'll end up disappointed in the end.

Oh and fun fact, Tom Brady rushed for 9 yards yesterday, Elliot rushed for 8 yard. That's the best stat I've seen in a long time.

Also, what's up with Seattle? I know they have zero offense line but still, they looked rough against the 49ers.

The only way the Lions win is if Eli Manning continues to be Eli Manning and throw nothing but incomplete passes and INT. I'm hoping they win though, Detroit has me excited for football this year even though I know I'll end up disappointed in the end.

Oh and fun fact, Tom Brady rushed for 9 yards yesterday, Elliot rushed for 8 yard. That's the best stat I've seen in a long time.

Also, what's up with Seattle? I know they have zero offense line but still, they looked rough against the 49ers.
I'll go in reverse order:

Seattle has the same problem at the Giants, no O-line and no running game.

The troll/Ewok salt smelling addict should have taken one of his suspension games yesterday against Denver. He was so depressed by the 4th quarter that even on delayed passes to him, he would skip his chip block and then just stand in the backfield waiting for Dak to throw it to him.

If Stafford had all 10 fingers last season, Detriot would have beaten the Giants then. I have little confidence in the NY O-line figuring it out even with an extra day off.

I haven't seen/heard Romo do a game yet but rumor has it he is flipping the script for all other football analysts. I think they said he was 11/11 in week 1 at predicting the play call right before the snap.

I haven't seen/heard Romo do a game yet but rumor has it he is flipping the script for all other football analysts. I think they said he was 11/11 in week 1 at predicting the play call right before the snap.

I really hope he does a Bills game at some point.

Lions 24, Giants 10.

Really odd that the Lions won on MNF (or for that matter, look like a halfway decent team at this moment), and also really odd that the Giants' O Line regressed when it's essentially the same line from last season.

I watched the first Giants drive, the one where they went three and out and had a fumble returned for a TD called back on review. I knew how it would end and went to sleep.

After watching some highlights this morning, it is worse than I thought. It isn't just the line, it is the horrendous play calling by the coach and I think Eli is finally cracking. His interception was a brutal pass that was not the line's fault.

In the last 8 games, the Giants have failed to score 20 or more points. Over those same 8 games, they have been outscored by the Jets. Since the beginning of last season, the Giants are statistically the worst offensive team in the NFL.

Last edited:
Back