Touring Cars 2017 Virgin Australia Supercars Championship - Results and Talk

Discussion in 'Motorsport' started by Spacegoat, Dec 7, 2016.

1. 05XR8

05XR8

Garry hands Scottie a farewell gift after 4 years. I wonder if the #17 will have the same amount of success as the #33 in the next 4.

2. prisonermonkeys

prisonermonkeys Premium

All the key parts are there. The only thing DJRTP really need is to string everything together on race day.

3. 05XR8

05XR8

In my eyes, I can see DJRTP leapfrogging PRA. Fabian can match Frosty any day. Scottie & Mostert will be interesting. I think Scottie will be up to speed at Clips...er, Chicken Run... I mean, J B's on the run... The first race of the year! :sly:

4. R1600Turbo

R1600Turbo Premium

5. 05XR8

05XR8

6. prisonermonkeys

prisonermonkeys Premium

That layout looks much better.

7. 05XR8

05XR8

The esses down the Esplanade will be fun. Over the pedestrian tunnel and left on the corner of Noah's. Watching the race from the Baths is a good spot.

Best part will be the noise off the buildings. :D :cheers:

8. Pete05

Pete05 Premium

Oh I'm sorry. Supercars requires all the prime viewing locations for corporate hospitality.
    Supercars thanks you for your understanding & co-operation.

Spacegoat likes this.
  9. Spacegoat

Spacegoat Premium

Last edited: Dec 13, 2016
  10. Pete05

Pete05 Premium

GRM need to drop it now & move on today.
    The longer this drags on, the more money it costs & the further behind the eight ball GRM will be for 2017.

11. 05XR8

05XR8

Biggest problem will be for people in those buildings(Arvia & Novotel) to exit the garages. Ain't gonna happen.

Backup plan perhaps?

12. R1600Turbo

R1600Turbo Premium

I 100% agree with GRM that Volvo may be entitled to the engines, but those cars do not belong to them. I know they are building new Holdens which they already said were not a backup plan, but I don't think they will have a choice.

LMSCorvetteGT2, Pete05 and Spacegoat like this.
  13. 05XR8

05XR8

True story. DJRTP couldn't have a car for the same reason.

14. Spacegoat

Spacegoat Premium

R16 makes a good point about Volvo not having any rights to the cars themselves. But I think you're on the money, this can only be disrupting their preparations for next season.
    Think Holdens are the backup.

Pete05 likes this.
  15. FPV MIC

FPV MIC

Wasn't that different? DJR and TP weren't yet one team IIRC and wanted to look at a car, which was OKed until someone (might have had a 888 cap) caught wind of it and it got canned quick smart.

This is all I could find with a quick search: http://www.smh.com.au/sport/motorsp...ke-up-v8-supercars-scene-20140919-10j9ko.html

"We thought earlier on that we were going to be able to just get a car and take a look at it," Penske revealed this week. "The league told us we could have that and then quickly was told after that, that we couldn't have a car and bring it to the States, which was disappointing."

16. Pete05

Pete05 Premium

Knowing the type of bloke Garry Rogers is, I have no doubt that if things with Volvo had split in an amicable fashion, he would've given them one of the cars.
    Regardless of wether it was written into the contact or not, it's a game of hard ball now so, if Volvo want a/the car(s), they'll have to win it/them in court.
    If a Supercar is indeed Supercars intellectual property, I expect Supercars to be behind GRM 100% on this & support them all the way.
    They'll have more than a few people looking for answers if they don't.

Spacegoat likes this.
  17. 05XR8

05XR8

Edit: @Spacegoat
    Gotta wonder what is in the rule book about that. Remember, Betty was going to be fined $XXXXX per race if she misssed the deadline to race the rest of the season, with one of her cars(I posted it in the V8 Supercars thread mid-year).

VASC basically said DJRTP couldn't take the car overseas because the control chassis itself is V8SC property.

@FPV MIC
    Wasn't that different? DJR and TP weren't yet one team IIRC and wanted to look at a car, which was OKed until someone (might have had a 888 cap) caught wind of it and it got canned quick smart.

This is all I could find with a quick search:http://www.smh.com.au/sport/motorsp...ke-up-v8-supercars-scene-20140919-10j9ko.html

"We thought earlier on that we were going to be able to just get a car and take a look at it," Penske revealed this week. "The league told us we could have that and then quickly was told after that, that we couldn't have a car and bring it to the States, which was disappointing

http://www.supercars.com/news/championship/buy-australian-made/
    The chassis is made here, it would stay here.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2016
    Spacegoat likes this.
  18. Pete05

Pete05 Premium

Not sure exactly but, I do know when John Faulkner Racing didn't turn up to Winton one year (for whatever the reason was?), that was the last we saw of his team in Supercar land.
    From vague memory, he was fined some silly number & told AVESCO where they could insert the rubber cheque.

Spacegoat likes this.
  19. 05XR8

05XR8

Betty may have been fined up to $150,000 per race. Yes, indeed. Some crazy amount.
    http://www.news.com.au/sport/motors...m/news-story/e96565afce7b195276a48318cd88ace9

Pete05 likes this.
  20. FPV MIC

FPV MIC

But back then it wasn't written in to the rules yet, Penske was given permission at first but didn't ship it after complaints from others because he didn't want to create waves (I think, my memories not as good as it used to be). Good to see it's been clarified properly now.

21. 05XR8

05XR8

Next, someone will find a loophole in the Gen2 rules before 2018.

Say, any chance of Chelsea Angelo getting a drive in the enduros with Simona? She does drive for MW motorsports. She's also quicker than Gracie. A bit wild like a female Van Gisbergen, but quick.

22. prisonermonkeys

prisonermonkeys Premium

I imagine that it would depend on her performance and her funding.

23. 05XR8

05XR8

Yeah, she's been in and out this season. Though, her last drive was a good showing for her sponsors.

24. R1600Turbo

R1600Turbo Premium

Tander confirmed at GRM

Figured that's where he would end up, though I thought that he was holding back on committing based on what happened with the Volvo situation.

25. Spacegoat

Spacegoat Premium

Even though it was fully expected that's where'd he end up. It's great to see Tander back at GRM.

26. Pete05

Pete05 Premium

Not a Tander fan but I do like Garry & the GRM boys so I'm torn.

Hopefully Moff kicks his ass whatever they're pedalling.
    Looks like being Volvos with Chevs under the bonnet :odd:

LMSCorvetteGT2 likes this.
  27. R1600Turbo

R1600Turbo Premium

Oops, wrong thread. :p

Spacegoat likes this.
  28. 05XR8

05XR8

Seriously, if GRM run those S60s as is, Tander will have a weapon under his foot.

LMSCorvetteGT2 and Spacegoat like this.
  29. prisonermonkeys

prisonermonkeys Premium

The problem is that he tends to use his car as a weapon. There's a reason why getting turned around is called "getting Tandered".

NRG MBL59 likes this.
  30. 05XR8

05XR8

No doubt. Clipsal 2014, definitely would have gone down differently, with Tander at the wheel.