2017 Virgin Australia Supercars Championship - Results and TalkTouring Cars 

  • Thread starter Thread starter Spacegoat
  • 3,963 comments
  • 194,165 views
I wouldn't be surprised if GRM have to repair at least twice as much as what Scotty Mac has cost them in his whole time there.

Todd obviously hasn't used the Spirit of Tasmania ferry to cross Bass Strait in rough weather.
Let me tell you, when you're on level 8 looking out the porthole of your room & it gets splashed by the waves, when it's so rough you can't help but walk like you've been on the piss all night, when they close off certain outside areas through fear of losing passengers overboard & they're considering returning to Melbourne almost halfway through the journey, Bass Strait can be one nasty stretch of water.
Like I said. :cheers: :sly:
 
Continued from the 2016 discussion about Alfa
http://www.v8superfans.co.nz/alfa-remeo-linked-to-replace-lexus-as-the-supercars-safety-car/

This mentions atleast two other manufacturers interested in producing safety cars
https://carsales.mobi/editorial/details/ed-itm-104976
While Zanlunghi was cautious about the prospect of a Giulia Supercar, one senior Supercars team engineer has told motoring.com.au the car’s shape was excellent aerodynamically and would work well in the category
I'm one to heavily speculate, but we know what GRM are capable of one or two years is what GRM need with the S60, to develop whatever brand they're bringing.
Holden would have a car ready next year and GRM would be prepared the following year. Makes a good case for Alfa to join 2018/2019.
 
Last edited:
Continued from the 2016 discussion about Alfa
http://www.v8superfans.co.nz/alfa-remeo-linked-to-replace-lexus-as-the-supercars-safety-car/

This mentions atleast two other manufacturers interested in producing safety cars
https://carsales.mobi/editorial/details/ed-itm-104976

I'm one to heavily speculate, but we know what GRM are capable of one or two years is what GRM need with the S60, to develop whatever brand they're bringing.
Holden would have a car ready next year and GRM would be prepared the following year. Makes a good case for Alfa to join 2018/2019.

I saw those, but what was shown is obviously not a safety car which is why I didn't post them myself or care either.
 
If it makes sense for all involved, it'll happen.
If not, we can only dream of what might have been.
 
I'm one to heavily speculate

Walkinshaw converts Dodge Ram pickups to RHD. Dodge is owned by Fiat Chrysler, which also owns Alfa Romeo. Therefore, Walkinshaw will be the official factory team for Alfa Romeo in 2018. :sly:

Am I speculating correctly?
 
Am I speculating correctly?
No.

If you were speculating correctly, you would have an infallible source - like, for example, Garth Tander's astrologist, who warned him that Walkinshaw would switch to Alfas. When Tander took her advice, she started talking it up at the local fish and chip shop to get more business. You heard all of this from your local train conductor, whose brother-in-law was at the fish and chip shop and heard the back half of the astrologist's conversation.
 
I remember Chrysler denied joining V8s(with the 300 anyway) several times. The 300 doesn't need to be advertised. The Alfa does.
Without manufacturers outside of the sport, not knowing the Gen2 rules, no one was going to jump in. Too much money would have been spent to get the Alfa up and running next year, just to be redeveloped for 2018.

Now, the Kia GT. I didn't get to look at the video, but read it's capable of 290km/h? Which manufacturer looks to hang around for 3+years? FCA or Kia?
 
Here we go
http://www.speedcafe.com/2016/12/23/sieders-takes-delivery-mitsubishi-superute/
image1.jpg

Sporty, isn't it?
I had one as a drive car. Pretty quick with the auto.
 
Here we go
http://www.speedcafe.com/2016/12/23/sieders-takes-delivery-mitsubishi-superute/
image1.jpg

Sporty, isn't it?
I had one as a drive car. Pretty quick with the auto.
That's a very brave move considering what little we all know about the rules & regulations they'll have to work to.
And, forgive me if my eyes are playing tricks on me but, going by the ride height, that looks suspiciously like a 4wd.
I thought these new Utes were going to be 2wd only :odd:
At least we know someone has jumped on the Mitsubishi bandwagon.
I wonder if they've got any manufacturer/dealer support?

Who's next for show & tell?
 
That's a very brave move considering what little we all know about the rules & regulations they'll have to work to.
And, forgive me if my eyes are playing tricks on me but, going by the ride height, that looks suspiciously like a 4wd.
I thought these new Utes were going to be 2wd only :odd:
At least we know someone has jumped on the Mitsubishi bandwagon.
I wonder if they've got any manufacturer/dealer support?

Who's next for show & tell?
It reads like Mitsubishi will give support depending on the particulars.
It's a start.
 
That's a very brave move considering what little we all know about the rules & regulations they'll have to work to.
And, forgive me if my eyes are playing tricks on me but, going by the ride height, that looks suspiciously like a 4wd.
I thought these new Utes were going to be 2wd only :odd:
At least we know someone has jumped on the Mitsubishi bandwagon.
I wonder if they've got any manufacturer/dealer support?

Who's next for show & tell?
They do come in 4x2 mode, 4x4 ride height with rwd.
 
That's a very brave move considering what little we all know about the rules & regulations they'll have to work to.
And, forgive me if my eyes are playing tricks on me but, going by the ride height, that looks suspiciously like a 4wd.
I thought these new Utes were going to be 2wd only :odd:
At least we know someone has jumped on the Mitsubishi bandwagon.
I wonder if they've got any manufacturer/dealer support?

Who's next for show & tell?
I'd hazard a guess at them knowing quite a bit more about the new regs then what has been announced.
 
I remember Chrysler denied joining V8s(with the 300 anyway) several times. The 300 doesn't need to be advertised. The Alfa does.
Without manufacturers outside of the sport, not knowing the Gen2 rules, no one was going to jump in. Too much money would have been spent to get the Alfa up and running next year, just to be redeveloped for 2018.

Now, the Kia GT. I didn't get to look at the video, but read it's capable of 290km/h? Which manufacturer looks to hang around for 3+years? FCA or Kia?

Depends who is calling the shots for the FCA deal, and KIA I'd say is ready to have a more global Motorsports effort so I could easily see them making something out of this if they join. If it's good for them and successful they could stick around for a long time. FCA could do the same but as I said it depends much more on who is in charge. I mean they're looking to go back to NASCAR right now as well, so if the idea is to expand their image in many different race series that aren't called F1 we'll have to wait and see.
 
Going back to the talk of old races to watch through the holidays, I just watched the '84 AIR round which I hadn't yet seen - and it turns out it's a seriously good race.

Last ATCC race under the Group C regs and besides being a genuinely entertaining event from start to finish, it's also a pretty good example of the variety of Group C.

 
How good would modern day versions of these be?
 
Going back to the talk of old races to watch through the holidays, I just watched the '84 AIR round which I hadn't yet seen - and it turns out it's a seriously good race.

Last ATCC race under the Group C regs and besides being a genuinely entertaining event from start to finish, it's also a pretty good example of the variety of Group C.


$1,250 for the win! :eek:

7 years later that had increased to $6,000 for an outright win.
I can remember Nissan Team Manager, Fred Gibson, saying that wouldn't cover the cost of the tyres for the round.
Reminds me of the old saying:

To make a small fortune out of motor racing, you need to start with a big fortune.
 
Always loved the look of Warren Cullen's K-Mart Commodore's. Great looking livery. :O
 
Going back to the talk of old races to watch through the holidays, I just watched the '84 AIR round which I hadn't yet seen - and it turns out it's a seriously good race.

Last ATCC race under the Group C regs and besides being a genuinely entertaining event from start to finish, it's also a pretty good example of the variety of Group C.


This is off topic. This thread is for discussion revolving around 2017 Supercars.

Please take all conversarion about 1984 to the 1984 thread please ;)
 
I'm ready for 2017 livery reveals. Give them to me!
 
Im predicting Red Bull's will be a meh livery.
 
Just came across this on twitter today. Anyone know who or what ssmedia is?
 
Just came across this on twitter today. Anyone know who or what ssmedia is?

Found this.
IMG_0170.PNG

From what I can gather, I'm guessing he does liveries for cars.

He's limited the bandwidth of his website ssmedia.com.au so it won't open for me.
 
I'm feeling that way about the track as well. Fantastic location and an awesome track. The cars are so good there now, it's not like before COTF. It's like the old Fuji circuit. Times have changed and it needs a freshen up.

Tyre deg can't save every race.

Edit: Oh http://www.speedcafe.com/2016/12/16/grm-2017-package-remains-limbo/
Wonder if they'll use Wilson Security logos as badges. Reminiscent of the Hog's Breath logos on the T8 Falcons.
The Hogs Breath Falcons........... The final nail in the coffin....
 
He's limited the bandwidth of his website ssmedia.com.au so it won't open for me.

No, it doesn't work for me either.

Interesting though, if he just does liveries then why the Mustang image and all the hashtags? Maybe I'm just reading too much into. :lol:
 
Edit:
DJRTP will be Shell V-Power all year

The #9 will probably be the same.

BOC won't be as big since Bright has left.

RBRA will most likely be the same. Unless they make something similar to the WRC livery.

GRM, LDM(Phil Munday looks to be playing a bigger role), PRA(More greenthan black this time?) and Walkinshaw will definitely be mysteries.
 
Last edited:
The Hogs Breath Falcons........... The final nail in the coffin....
One of the dumbest decisions Ford has ever made in Australian motor racing history.
How many trophies would they have had 888 stayed their side of the fence?
And to think, they ended up with a mainly blue livery anyway.
No, it doesn't work for me either.

Interesting though, if he just does liveries then why the Mustang image and all the hashtags? Maybe I'm just reading too much into. :lol:
I'm guessing he's got the job for someone running a Mustang(s) in the 12hr or the APCC & is doing a bit of shouting about it which would explain all the hashtags.

Look at me, look at me :lol:
 
SSMedia does liveries for DJRTP, and is a graphic designer in general, so part of me thinks that he has some inside knowledge of what we might be seeing DJRTP run in '17 or '18.

@05XR8, I'm not going to bed ther quoting after something went a bit haywire in your post haha, but I don't think that DJRTP will run that scheme next year, as the photo was just to show off their Bathurst scheme, while announcing the 2017 at the same time. Also, I haven't seen anything about SA sponsoring Nick Percat? Was there an article? I've heard two different things, one being Clipsal possibly stepping up to sponsor him, but that thrown out, and the other being Coates Hire having a larger presence on Nicks car again after preferring not to have much association with LDM.
 
SSMedia does liveries for DJRTP, and is a graphic designer in general, so part of me thinks that he has some inside knowledge of what we might be seeing DJRTP run in '17 or '18.

@05XR8, I'm not going to bed ther quoting after something went a bit haywire in your post haha, but I don't think that DJRTP will run that scheme next year, as the photo was just to show off their Bathurst scheme, while announcing the 2017 at the same time. Also, I haven't seen anything about SA sponsoring Nick Percat? Was there an article? I've heard two different things, one being Clipsal possibly stepping up to sponsor him, but that thrown out, and the other being Coates Hire having a larger presence on Nicks car again after preferring not to have much association with LDM.
Yeah, that pic jacked me up. :lol:

http://www.speedcafe.com/2016/09/29/sa-government-backing-percat-ldm-holden/
For Simona's car next year. My mistake.
Still, BOC are scaling down their sponsorship with BJR.
 
Last edited:
Back