2017 Virgin Australia Supercars Championship - Results and TalkTouring Cars 

• Thread starter Spacegoat
  • 3,963 comments
I can't wait to see Tander & Courtney try and occupy the same bit of racetrack next year.
They could hardly play nice when they were in the same team so I expect it to be a little spicy to say the least :mischievous:

Five years after he past I've finally got round to putting on the stickers Andrew Jokes sent me
BFC99BCD-B38B-4AC1-8446-D251B97D47FC_zpszp5ptrxm.jpg

The thought of the Volvo running a chev and loosing that distinct "hum" they had makes me sad, but GT behind the wheel kinda excites me.

The thought of the Volvo running a chev and loosing that distinct "hum" they had makes me sad, but GT behind the wheel kinda excites me.
I agree with everything you've said up to the bit about GT. I'm hoping Moff makes him look average & GRM put Bieber in the car for 2018.
http://www.speedcafe.com/2016/12/16/tailem-bend-closes-supercars-round-2018/
1km straight. Make that 7.7km track an enduro for Supercars, because that is giin to be an awesome track for GT3/GT4 cars, if they are invited.
I know it's because they want the cars going past the corporate boxes every 90 seconds instead of every 120 but, this track has 7.7km available so how about using it :odd:
They did exactly the same thing when the Supercars visited Shanghai & the Middle East.

I know it's because they want the cars going past the corporate boxes every 90 seconds instead of every 120 but, this track has 7.7km available so how about using it
Because it's not just the corporate boxes - it's the fans, too.

A better way of doing it would be to use two separate configurations, and hold one race on each.

I'd agree to a doubling up on the permanent tracks. Thing is, this could be a DVS COTF invitation as well. A round like Bathurst. Big field of cars would make the racing interesting.

Using the layout options is a good idea but, I'll bet there's only one pitlane big enough & VIP facilities for the 'main' layout Supercars has their eye on using.
I don't know the lap distances other than the full circuit being 7.7km & the one the Supercars want to use being 4.x?
Looking at the track map, if they don't use the full 7.7, it looks like they'll be missing the most interesting section of the whole track.

Depending on how many cars pitlane can accomodate, I like your idea @05XR8 of including DVS invitees.
They could make this round of the championship unique in a way by allowing the top 3-5 cars in the points at that stage to 'guest' with the main game & see if they can't embarrass the usual tailenders.

Using the layout options is a good idea but, I'll bet there's only one pitlane big enough & VIP facilities for the 'main' layout Supercars has their eye on using.
I don't know the lap distances other than the full circuit being 7.7km & the one the Supercars want to use being 4.x?
Looking at the track map, if they don't use the full 7.7, it looks like they'll be missing the most interesting section of the whole track.

Depending on how many cars pitlane can accomodate, I like your idea @05XR8 of including DVS invitees.
They could make this round of the championship unique in a way by allowing the top 3-5 cars in the points at that stage to 'guest' with the main game & see if they can't embarrass the usual tailenders.
So many possibilities. Invite the top 5, top 10 drivers. Run them as a staggered rolling start or on the grid. Timed race or 300kms or whatever.

This track would need a sprint(250km) and enduro(500km or better).

Make that 7.7km track an enduro for Supercars.

That's a great idea. If Sandown gets sold off to become a housing estate after 2019. They should definitely move the pre-Bathurst enduro race there.

One thing is for sure, they shouldn't go back to Phillip Island. It doesn't work as an endurance round.
I'm feeling that way about the track as well. Fantastic location and an awesome track. The cars are so good there now, it's not like before COTF. It's like the old Fuji circuit. Times have changed and it needs a freshen up.

Tyre deg can't save every race.

Edit: Oh http://www.speedcafe.com/2016/12/16/grm-2017-package-remains-limbo/
Wonder if they'll use Wilson Security logos as badges. Reminiscent of the Hog's Breath logos on the T8 Falcons.

Last edited:
I'm feeling that way about the track as well. Fantastic location and an awesome track. The cars are so good there now, it's not like before COTF. It's like the old Fuji circuit. Times have changed and it needs a freshen up.

Tyre deg can't save every race.

Edit: Oh http://www.speedcafe.com/2016/12/16/grm-2017-package-remains-limbo/
Wonder if they'll use Wilson Security logos as badges. Reminiscent of the Hog's Breath logos on the T8 Falcons.
It just won't feel right calling or, hearing the commentators say Volvo if they're running Chev engines, which is what I expect to happen.
GRM badges & nameplates is what I'd do.

It just won't feel right calling or, hearing the commentators say Volvo if they're running Chev engines, which is what I expect to happen.
GRM badges & nameplates is what I'd do.
"The GRM V8s qualify 8th & 10th for the On The Run 500."

"The GRM V8s qualify 8th & 10th for the On The Run 500."
Sounds a whole lot better than calling them Volvos :yuck:

They'll be a GRM creation so give them the credit I say. I'm sure Garry, Barry & the hardworking crew would appreciate it.

That's a great idea. If Sandown gets sold off to become a housing estate after 2019. They should definitely move the pre-Bathurst enduro race there.
Beat me to it! I could easily camp out (or stay in a comfy hotel room) for the whole event, or just drive up on the morning of the race since Saturday of an endurance round would be reduced to qualifying sessions.

Can't help but wonder what non-two wheeled serie they're trying to reel in. All I can imagine is WEC as I can't imagine anything noteworthy that could justify flying out to Australia, let alone SA which is basically a fly over state.

Beat me to it! I could easily camp out (or stay in a comfy hotel room) for the whole event, or just drive up on the morning of the race since Saturday of an endurance round would be reduced to qualifying sessions.

Can't help but wonder what non-two wheeled serie they're trying to reel in. All I can imagine is WEC as I can't imagine anything noteworthy that could justify flying out to Australia, let alone SA which is basically a fly over state.
WEC, TCR, Blancpain are the hot series. Maybe all of those.

Why oh why did I leave Melbourne? :banghead:

I can't wait to see Tander & Courtney try and occupy the same bit of racetrack next year.
Maybe that's Volvo's plan - to let GRM run the S60 chassis next year on the condition that no new chassis are built ... and then hire Garth Tander so that all of the chassis are destroyed from his on-track antics.

Maybe that's Volvo's plan - to let GRM run the S60 chassis next year on the condition that no new chassis are built ... and then hire Garth Tander so that all of the chassis are destroyed from his on-track antics.
I wouldn't be surprised if GRM have to repair at least twice as much as what Scotty Mac has cost them in his whole time there.
Say, might be an open seat at Nissan after all. :sly:

Todd obviously hasn't used the Spirit of Tasmania ferry to cross Bass Strait in rough weather.
Let me tell you, when you're on level 8 looking out the porthole of your room & it gets splashed by the waves, when it's so rough you can't help but walk like you've been on the piss all night, when they close off certain outside areas through fear of losing passengers overboard & they're considering returning to Melbourne almost halfway through the journey, Bass Strait can be one nasty stretch of water.

Back