2017 Virgin Australia Supercars Championship - Results and TalkTouring Cars 

• Thread starter Spacegoat
  • 3,963 comments
Garry hands Scottie a farewell gift after 4 years. I wonder if the #17 will have the same amount of success as the #33 in the next 4.

In my eyes, I can see DJRTP leapfrogging PRA. Fabian can match Frosty any day. Scottie & Mostert will be interesting. I think Scottie will be up to speed at Clips...er, Chicken Run... I mean, J B's on the run... The first race of the year! :sly:

The esses down the Esplanade will be fun. Over the pedestrian tunnel and left on the corner of Noah's. Watching the race from the Baths is a good spot.

Best part will be the noise off the buildings. :D :cheers:

The esses down the Esplanade will be fun. Over the pedestrian tunnel and left on the corner of Noah's. Watching the race from the Baths is a good spot.

Best part will be the noise off the buildings. :D :cheers:
Oh I'm sorry. Supercars requires all the prime viewing locations for corporate hospitality.
Supercars thanks you for your understanding & co-operation.

Oh I'm sorry. Supercars requires all the prime viewing locations for corporate hospitality.
Supercars thanks you for your understanding & co-operation.
Biggest problem will be for people in those buildings(Arvia & Novotel) to exit the garages. Ain't gonna happen.

No decision in the GRM vs Volvo mediation

Interesting to note that GRM apparently requested to be allowed to use the S60's for a further two years.
Backup plan perhaps?

I 100% agree with GRM that Volvo may be entitled to the engines, but those cars do not belong to them. I know they are building new Holdens which they already said were not a backup plan, but I don't think they will have a choice.
True story. DJRTP couldn't have a car for the same reason.

The longer this drags on, the more money it costs & the further behind the eight ball GRM will be for 2017.

R16 makes a good point about Volvo not having any rights to the cars themselves. But I think you're on the money, this can only be disrupting their preparations for next season.
Backup plan perhaps?

Think Holdens are the backup.

True story. DJRTP couldn't have a car for the same reason.
Wasn't that different? DJR and TP weren't yet one team IIRC and wanted to look at a car, which was OKed until someone (might have had a 888 cap) caught wind of it and it got canned quick smart.

This is all I could find with a quick search: http://www.smh.com.au/sport/motorsp...ke-up-v8-supercars-scene-20140919-10j9ko.html

"We thought earlier on that we were going to be able to just get a car and take a look at it," Penske revealed this week. "The league told us we could have that and then quickly was told after that, that we couldn't have a car and bring it to the States, which was disappointing."

R16 makes a good point about Volvo not having any rights to the cars themselves. But I think you're on the money, this can only be disrupting their preparations for next season.

Think Holdens are the backup.
Knowing the type of bloke Garry Rogers is, I have no doubt that if things with Volvo had split in an amicable fashion, he would've given them one of the cars.
Regardless of wether it was written into the contact or not, it's a game of hard ball now so, if Volvo want a/the car(s), they'll have to win it/them in court.
If a Supercar is indeed Supercars intellectual property, I expect Supercars to be behind GRM 100% on this & support them all the way.
They'll have more than a few people looking for answers if they don't.

Edit: @Spacegoat
Gotta wonder what is in the rule book about that. Remember, Betty was going to be fined $XXXXX per race if she misssed the deadline to race the rest of the season, with one of her cars(I posted it in the V8 Supercars thread mid-year).

VASC basically said DJRTP couldn't take the car overseas because the control chassis itself is V8SC property.

@FPV MIC
Wasn't that different? DJR and TP weren't yet one team IIRC and wanted to look at a car, which was OKed until someone (might have had a 888 cap) caught wind of it and it got canned quick smart.

This is all I could find with a quick search:http://www.smh.com.au/sport/motorsp...ke-up-v8-supercars-scene-20140919-10j9ko.html

"We thought earlier on that we were going to be able to just get a car and take a look at it," Penske revealed this week. "The league told us we could have that and then quickly was told after that, that we couldn't have a car and bring it to the States, which was disappointing

http://www.supercars.com/news/championship/buy-australian-made/
The chassis is made here, it would stay here.

Last edited:
Gotta wonder what is in the rule book about that. Remember, Betty was going to be fined $XXXXX per race if she misssed the deadline to race the rest of the season, with one of her cars(I posted it in the V8 Supercars thread mid-year).
Not sure exactly but, I do know when John Faulkner Racing didn't turn up to Winton one year (for whatever the reason was?), that was the last we saw of his team in Supercar land.
From vague memory, he was fined some silly number & told AVESCO where they could insert the rubber cheque.

Edit: @Spacegoat

VASC basically said DJRTP couldn't take the car overseas because the control chassis itself is V8SC property.

@FPV MIC

This is all I could find with a quick search:http://www.smh.com.au/sport/motorsp...ke-up-v8-supercars-scene-20140919-10j9ko.html

"We thought earlier on that we were going to be able to just get a car and take a look at it," Penske revealed this week. "The league told us we could have that and then quickly was told after that, that we couldn't have a car and bring it to the States, which was disappointing

http://www.supercars.com/news/championship/buy-australian-made/
The chassis is made here, it would stay here.
But back then it wasn't written in to the rules yet, Penske was given permission at first but didn't ship it after complaints from others because he didn't want to create waves (I think, my memories not as good as it used to be). Good to see it's been clarified properly now.

Next, someone will find a loophole in the Gen2 rules before 2018.

Say, any chance of Chelsea Angelo getting a drive in the enduros with Simona? She does drive for MW motorsports. She's also quicker than Gracie. A bit wild like a female Van Gisbergen, but quick.

Say, any chance of Chelsea Angelo getting a drive in the enduros with Simona? She does drive for MW motorsports. She's also quicker than Gracie.
I imagine that it would depend on her performance and her funding.

Back