2017 Virgin Australia Supercars Championship - Results and TalkTouring Cars 

• Thread starter Spacegoat
  • 3,963 comments
We're lucky that there haven't been any serious accidents. I can't believe they let the race go on, I actually was expecting the red flag to be called at 50% distance as @05XR8 suggested earlier. Still, based on the results, apparently you're better off getting a puncture than a Supercars issued penalty.

So unserved penalties get added to race time, saving those drivers the pitlane drive through time.
Seems a bit unfair.

I'd be willing to bet that if that if the stewards actually looked at the footage of every driver entering pit lane prior to handing out those initial penalties to McLaughlin and De Silvestro then they wouldn't have even bothered.

There should be. If there isn't then some serious questions need to be asked about Craig Baird and the rest of race control.
Nobody was looking for it until McLaughlin did it. And you can bet that Roland Dane was the one to throw that Rule Book Javelin. You can't really fault race control for being more concerned about tyre failures at the time.

I'd be willing to bet that if that if the stewards actually looked at the footage of every driver entering pit lane prior to handing out those initial penalties to McLaughlin and De Silvestro then they wouldn't have even bothered.
Half the field at least, crossed that line. I know Tander did, and so did one other (Slade, I think) that hasn't been penalised.

Nobody was looking for it until McLaughlin did it. And you can bet that Roland Dane was the one to throw that Rule Book Javelin.
That's without a doubt. Don't think anyone is questioning that.

You can't really fault race control for being more concerned about tyre failures at the time.
I'm more so talking about the inconsistency in the penalties. Someone slightly runs over a line, 15 seconds. Waters and Davison spin and end someone's race, only a PLP.

If there isn't a few more drivers being pinged by tomorrow morning for the crossing of the line, then you really have to question race control and Baird.

Fabs just said he didn't know(or aware) about the rule until the second pit stop.

Other than tyres, this rule ruined many races. A rile that was put in the night before the race. Plain silly.

It's not. Everyone knows about it. Been a rule for a long time.

Yes it is. A driver who serves his penalty during the race has to drive into the pits, stop for 15s, then drive out.
So how is only adding 15s to the race time fair?

They should add the 15s plus the pitlane drive through time.

Someone slightly runs over a line, 15 seconds. Waters and Davison spin and end someone's race, only a PLP.
As Russell Ingall said in the post-race debrief, the punishment needs to fit the crime. The rule is there for safety reasons, even if the first fifty metres of the pit lane is empty. But as Mark Skaife freely admitted, he crossed that line every time he entered the pits.

From V8 Extra
FB_IMG_1492848662315.jpg

Yes it is. A driver who serves his penalty during the race has to drive into the pits, stop for 15s, then drive out.
So how is only adding 15s to the race time fair?

They should add the 15s plus the pitlane drive through time.
McLaughlin never had to stop for 15 seconds though. He had a choice, just like Lowndes. The penalties they handed out never said they must do a stop-go. It was just a 15 second penalty, that you have the choice to serve as a stop-go or get it added to your time at the end of the race.

It was just a 15 second penalty, that you have the choice to serve as a stop-go or get it added to your time at the end of the race.
Or you could serve it during a regular stop, as van Gisbergen did. However, you cannot serve penalties under the safety car, which is why McLaughlin did it separately.

For those that missed Lowndes' and Scott's reactions.
http://www.supercars.com/videos/championship/craig-lowndes-questions-race-5-penalty/

http://www.supercars.com/videos/championship/mclaughlin-weirded-out-by-the-whole-thing/

Championship points: After Race 5

1 Fabian Coulthard 514
2 Shane Van Gisbergen 504
3 Jamie Whincup 471
4 Scott McLaughlin 408
5 Chaz Mostert 381
6 Cameron Waters 360
7 Garth Tander 348
8 Craig Lowndes 342
9 Tim Slade 300
10 James Courtney 291
11 Michael Caruso 279
12 Mark Winterbottom 279
13 James Moffat 246
14 Todd Kelly 241
15 David Reynolds 231
16 Scott Pye 228
17 Rick Kelly 222
18 Lee Holdsworth 210
19 Simona De Silvestro 207
20 Jason Bright 198
21 Nick Percat 168
22 Will Davison 150
23 Tim Blanchard 150
24 Taz Douglas 111
25 Dale Wood 108
26 Alex Rullo 66

Last edited:
Dunlop have issued guidelines on what the optimum cambers are for the car Dunlop cannot be responsible for damages caused by teams pushing the envelope further the suggested maximum, one of the commentators said they were up at around 5 degrees on some cars,

I really gotta say all in all so far I'm being impressed by Simona's performances so far this season, I would expect strong results from her come Winton,

Dunlop have issued guidelines on what the optimum cambers are for the car Dunlop cannot be responsible for damages caused by teams pushing the envelope further the suggested maximum, one of the commentators said they were up at around 5 degrees on some cars,
Formula One had this very same problem a few years ago. There was a lot of controvery over tyres blowing out, but it was eventually revealed that teams were ignoring Pirelli's guidelines to pursue performance, and then complaining when they took it too far. If that's what is happening here, then I have no sympathy for the affected teams or drivers.

Source? I haven't seen anything posted yet.
I haven't seen anything official yet either but footage of him crossing the line has been shown, I also saw Tander, Waters and Mostert cross it, and as some people pitted many times, I think it's safe to say they crossed the line many times. This race is going to be yet another bad joke.

Edit: About the Waters/Courtney incident, James clearly braked in a spot no-one brakes at to stop Cameron doing the over-under on him, so from my point of view it was James's actions that caused the contact as there was no way Waters could have anticipated what was borderline on brake checking.

Last edited:
Frosty said on facebook that the line is usually marked with a cone, but this time there obviously wasn't one. I think it's pretty self explanatory that there should be one..

Edit: There will be a cone placed there today. Should have been there in the first place...

Last edited:
Back