2017 Virgin Australia Supercars Championship - Results and TalkTouring Cars 

• Thread starter Spacegoat
  • 3,963 comments
Well, this should makes things interesting for the final 15 laps.

Shae Davies might have helped Caruso off the track there? Awkward.

And the haters.
They won't be able to resist.

Eh then they're really going to hate next year when there is a bigger unknown and more possibility for T8 RBR to run away with it all. If I were them I'd enjoy this year and the punches being thrown.

As much as I dislike T8 (aside from CL) they have to have a day on top every once in a while or the favorites will run away with it boringly.

It is what it is. Whincup knew Fabs wasn't going to fight. Fabian said it yesterday.
Anyway, the race played out the way it did.
Good recovery for Chaz.
Waters is a pure contender this year.
Simona moved up.

Rullo needs to do 2 years of S2. Forget the LDM is uncompetitive. Go back to S2 and sign up for Wildcards. Codrive the enduros and get more experience. LDM should have pit him instead of messing up the restart. Frosty went from sixth to eleventh at the restart.

Eh then they're really going to hate next year when there is a bigger unknown and more possibility for T8 RBR to run away with it all. If I were them I'd enjoy this year and the punches being thrown.

As much as I dislike T8 (aside from CL) they have to have a day on top every once in a while or the favorites will run away with it boringly.
Unless I'm mistaken, all Fords & Nissans (and maybe some Holdens) will be running pretty much what they've got this year.
As a result of that, T8 better get on top of the new Gen2 Holden bloody quick or, they'll be racing & developing during the year, giving the opposition all the opportunity they need to beat them up.
If on the other hand, T8 roll out a race winner that beats the existing cars with no real data to call on, they'll have done a good job & deserve to be there.

Unless I'm mistaken, all Fords & Nissans (and maybe some Holdens) will be running pretty much what they've got this year.

That's correct, which is why it's a great unknown in what will happen with a set of V6 twin turbos show up next year, with new chassis that only T8 has seen and is developing onward.

As a result of that, T8 better get on top of the new Gen2 Holden bloody quick or, they'll be racing & developing during the year, giving the opposition all the opportunity they need to beat them up.
If on the other hand, T8 roll out a race winner that beats the existing cars with no real data to call on, they'll have done a good job & deserve to be there.

Sure they'll have deserved to be there, to an extent. They control the corner market on Gen 2 in reality. Nissan is dumb enough not to do something they could actually win at and promote abroad (surprise surprise), and everyone else is either sticking with what they know or hoping. And when I say hoping, I mean that they hope a manufacture signs a deal or they move on to T8 chassis and it becomes Super T8 series.

It's mid year, so I don't expect to see any new manufactures or cars from other current manufactures outside Holden until 2019. So I think what will happen to get people on board (I hope) is that T8 wins shows the world that V6 TT touring cars is the way to promote, and groups join. But I'm a dreamer so that probably wont happen, but I'll save this post just in case.

You like it when one driver forces another off the road and gains a place from it?

SVG is the dirtiest driver out there.

Hey man he didn't punt him off it was just him rubbing like all of the other the racers making an overtake and McLaughlin just ended up on the wrong side of the kerb. Just good racing if you ask me, nobody seemed buthurt so it can't really be that bad. Are you saying we should call a driver 'dirty' if they make any good overtakes that have any contact or end up with a wheel off the road?

That's correct, which is why it's a great unknown in what will happen with a set of V6 twin turbos show up next year, with new chassis that only T8 has seen and is developing onward.

Sure they'll have deserved to be there, to an extent. They control the corner market on Gen 2 in reality. Nissan is dumb enough not to do something they could actually win at and promote abroad (surprise surprise), and everyone else is either sticking with what they know or hoping. And when I say hoping, I mean that they hope a manufacture signs a deal or they move on to T8 chassis and it becomes Super T8 series.

It's mid year, so I don't expect to see any new manufactures or cars from other current manufactures outside Holden until 2019. So I think what will happen to get people on board (I hope) is that T8 wins shows the world that V6 TT touring cars is the way to promote, and groups join. But I'm a dreamer so that probably wont happen, but I'll save this post just in case.
Tekno have proven (with SVG in 2015) and to some extent WD that you don't need to be at T8 to win but, a T8 Commodore is a good car to have.
Reynolds is also proving Erebus have an alternative by re-engineering Wankinshaw scraps.

As for Nissan, well I just don't understand that lot.
No word on a replacement for the Altima they don't sell anymore when there's alternatives out there & sticking with the V8 when they've got a catalogue of TTV6 options that could catapult them to 'team to beat' status :odd:

GRM will be in the box seat again, if they get Kia on board. It's like what they did with Volvo. See where the competition are with their new cars and develop.

I agree that Nissan need to do what they do best. There would be no doubts about performance, using one of there V6s. Heck, I bet that Super GT I4 would be a winner. It makes 650hp as is, lasts 300 & 1000kms and 6 & 9 hours. Position the ballast due the weight savings and the Altima would handle like a dream.

I'm curious, do you have a layout in mind? Turns 5, 6 and 7 would be great in the WRX cars.
Yes, I do - use the section from Turn 5 to Turn 9, with a dirt infield section linking the back straight up to Turn 4. For the joker lap, the cars would go off at the entry to Turn 8 and down to a hairpin (and possibly a chicane) before rejoining at the exit to Turn 8.

Tekno have proven (with SVG in 2015) and to some extent WD that you don't need to be at T8 to win but, a T8 Commodore is a good car to have.
Reynolds is also proving Erebus have an alternative by re-engineering Wankinshaw scraps.

I'd give more credit to SVG then Tekno on that one. Plus I don't recall Tekno winning a championship or coming close, winning a race happens when you get it right. Even WR has had wins agaisnt a dominant T8. the point is T8 always have the chance to get it right because they have a chassis no one else really has in respect to Holden.

As for Nissan, well I just don't understand that lot.
No word on a replacement for the Altima they don't sell anymore when there's alternatives out there & sticking with the V8 when they've got a catalogue of TTV6 options that could catapult them to 'team to beat' status :odd:

Absolutely agree, Nissan reminds me of McLaren before the Honda switch (after Lewis jumped ship), where they weren't exactly strong, but they had decent days. And fans were waiting for them to have a glory year again. But like McLaren they keep making decisions that does not really help bring them to that glory of yesteryears.

I'd give more credit to SVG then Tekno on that one. Plus I don't recall Tekno winning a championship or coming close, winning a race happens when you get it right. Even WR has had wins agaisnt a dominant T8. the point is T8 always have the chance to get it right because they have a chassis no one else really has in respect to Holden.

Absolutely agree, Nissan reminds me of McLaren before the Honda switch (after Lewis jumped ship), where they weren't exactly strong, but they had decent days. And fans were waiting for them to have a glory year again. But like McLaren they keep making decisions that does not really help bring them to that glory of yesteryears.
Giz almost won the DC in 2014.

He did? Because I recall Wincup taking that with a larger margin. I remember this because at one point it looked like even Frosty (who I was cheering for) could win it, and then it was easily out of touch. Still doesn't disprove that a T8 chassis in the hands of Wincup and now SVG is something difficult to beat or match if you're a fellow Holden team.

Without delving into the archives, I thought that was 2015 when he finished 2nd.
He did? Because I recall Wincup taking that with a larger margin. I remember this because at one point it looked like even Frosty (who I was cheering for) could win it, and then it was easily out of touch. Still doesn't disprove that a T8 chassis in the hands of Wincup and now SVG is something difficult to beat or match if you're a fellow Holden team.
T8 chassis in the hands of the best drivers is hard to beat for anyone, not just the other Holdens.
DJRTP have stepped into the ring though & this year looks like being a proper title fight.

Just finished watching the race. Was hoping that battle at the end would have ended up closer than it was. Good runs for Waters and Reynolds again. Only positive from the weekend for me is the close standings at the top. All I have to say about the Kelly's is that they are really on the tipping point. If they don't figure something out, Nissan will drop them quickly. The whole Caruso/Davies thing was unacceptable. More teams need to figure out how to break up this T8/DJRTP domination.

Now we wait nearly a month for the next race. One of the things I hate most about this series.

Without delving into the archives, I thought that was 2015 when he finished 2nd.

T8 chassis in the hands of the best drivers is hard to beat for anyone, not just the other Holdens.
DJRTP have stepped into the ring though & this year looks like being a proper title fight.
I remember, because of who won Bathurst:
2016- Tekno won Bathurst
2015- Lowndes won Bathurst
2014- Chaz won Bathurst due to Giz stalling(and Whincup forgetting his Caltex fuel card). Giz lost 300 points there.

No one is disputing the T8 chassis. I remember Ekstrom. Though, I'm skeptical of Matt Campbell getting the call, we'll see.

The point is there is a clear advantage between that chassis and other Holden chassis even old T8 ones other teams use currently. Also as much as I like Lowdnes he has the same thing and doesn't have the near consistency seen in his team mates. The reason I make a distinction between just Holden teams is because there are differences in the other makes that could make up the ground and be just a strong as T8 as we now see.

Last edited:
Back