2018 Lexus LS

• Thread starter CodeRedR51
  • 44 comments

CodeRedR51

Premium
United States
United States
Not bad. Still not a fan of that huge grille though.

http://www.carscoops.com/2017/01/all-new-fifth-gen-2018-lexus-ls.html

2018-Lexus-LS-2.jpg

2018-Lexus-LS-4.jpg

Lexus-LS-18-23.jpg

Lexus-LS-18-6.jpg

I have to say, it's probably one of the better looking Lexus's of recent. Something still seems off about the taillights though. Same goes for the LC500. Look forward to the twin turbo V6 though! That needs to trickle down to the other cars.

Lexus' look 10 times better in the flesh. The current IS F-Sport is absolutely stunning in grey.

This will look no worse. Interior is top notch, as is usual with Lexus.

Some faint RC/ES cues in that front profile, but overall, it's a much needed breath of life into the current LS generation. This will look stunning next to the LC.

The only issue is:

The car is designed with youth in mind. It's letting the designers do whatever they want.

Only the older adults can afford such a thing with the exception of some young people. The styling is a turn off for some and anyone under the age of 35 (really 30) would go for an S class or a 7 series. (Audi is sedated and due for a refresh itself and Jag... well)

I do like the styling, but I don't see it doing extremely well against the competition.

The only issue is:

The car is designed with youth in mind. It's letting the designers do whatever they want.

Only the older adults can afford such a thing with the exception of some young people. The styling is a turn off for some and anyone under the age of 35 (really 30) would go for an S class or a 7 series. (Audi is sedated and due for a refresh itself and Jag... well)

I do like the styling, but I don't see it doing extremely well against the competition.
Which means absolutely nothing; that's one of the smallest markets out there given a 7 Series retails at $81,500 & the S-Class is on the cusp of $100,000. People under 30 are nowhere near the target demographic for such vehicles, the LS included.

What the LS will do well at, is attracting the Asian demographic & older folks who have reliability as a necessary condition for their next purchase. Lexus excels in this area with the former as the Asian demographic not only generally likes supporting Asian brands, but (for those who can afford a $70,000+ vehicle) are very attentive to how they spend their money. The LS has always done well as a cheaper alternative to the German cars, relying heavily on Toyota reliability to keep concerns about the cost of maintenance off clients' minds compared to the 7 Series/S-Class which are (or used to be) notorious for reliability fees; it's part of the reason S-Class values diminish immensely.

This LS will do immensely well off the bat b/c it is the first new generation in a decade. Lexus styling is always quoted as "questionable" & a "turn-off", yet working directly with these vehicles every day, feedback on the design once seen in person, is very positive. This was Lexus' 2nd-best year in sales behind 2015. Proof the risky chance of the current styling cue "with the youth in mind" has paid off.

I feel like this is maybe the first Lexus where the Gillette grille works, perhaps aside from the LC500. Overall, it is inoffensive, which is a pretty big compliment for Lexii as of late. Still, as usual, they largely knock it out of the park inside, and that's where it counts. Arguably one of the best executed interiors I've seen this side of the S90 and S-Class.

Which means absolutely nothing; that's one of the smallest markets out there given a 7 Series retails at $81,500 & the S-Class is on the cusp of $100,000. People under 30 are nowhere near the target demographic for such vehicles, the LS included.

What the LS will do well at, is attracting the Asian demographic & older folks who have reliability as a necessary condition for their next purchase. Lexus excels in this area with the former as the Asian demographic not only generally likes supporting Asian brands, but (for those who can afford a $70,000+ vehicle) are very attentive to how they spend their money. The LS has always done well as a cheaper alternative to the German cars, relying heavily on Toyota reliability to keep concerns about the cost of maintenance off clients' minds compared to the 7 Series/S-Class which are (or used to be) notorious for reliability fees; it's part of the reason S-Class values diminish immensely.

This LS will do immensely well off the bat b/c it is the first new generation in a decade. Lexus styling is always quoted as "questionable" & a "turn-off", yet working directly with these vehicles every day, feedback on the design once seen in person, is very positive. This was Lexus' 2nd-best year in sales behind 2015. Proof the risky chance of the current styling cue "with the youth in mind" has paid off.
They might not be near the target demographic for such vehicles now, but they will be the next set buyers of such vehicles as they get older. A few of those who might be able to afford the car now might not be around the next generation refresh.
I said what I said because I spent a while going through the Lexus forums after hearing this announcement. LS owners vary from the minimum age of 20 (LS400/430 with me being the exception at 18) to damn well 60 (the 460s, refresh or not). I acknowledge that forums only account for a certain percentage of owners worldwide- probably 5-10%; quite a few of the older demographics have a dislike for the design of the exterior. (One of them noted the rear window pillar and now I can't unsee it. It can do with a sleeker design.) Interior gets a pass.

I don't know about you, but I don't see many Asians driving around in LSs. In fact, I don't see any driving one at all. They generally go for the European brands. And regarding the older folks who can afford this car: who's stopping them to consider the Hyundai Eqqus/Genesis G90, Kia K900, and the established European brands? I've seen plenty of older folks in the Hyundais more than the current 460s. (I see more in the original designed 460s than the new 460s.) That is subjected to change, but it's quite difficult for me to see Lexus outdoing the competition like they did in the past.

Off the bat, it'll do well. I won't dispute that. I would consider one if I was in the place to afford a new car. (Right up until I get a GS F because midlife crisis.) My only point is that Lexus has some fierce competition now than before. Reliability can't be it's only selling point, especially when Audi stole it's crowned 1st place in reliability charts. Most of the older demographics want a big but very comfortable car. If that's all they want, why would they overlook the G90/Eqqus at a lower price point?
Speaking of price point, I don't see this car being under $85k base. New engine, new technology, new design all round, and it's standard as a long wheel base? It'll be up around $90k starting. Hence why I'm concerned regarding it's competition.

Although this may be true, they won't be attracting any Chinese people, a large portion of Asian demographic. My dad hates everything that's Japanese or Korean.
I didn't realize your father was the Chinese representative.

Again, I work directly with the brand, specifically on the sales side.
They might not be near the target demographic for such vehicles now, but they will be the next set buyers of such vehicles as they get older. A few of those who might be able to afford the car now might not be around the next generation refresh.
I said what I said because I spent a while going through the Lexus forums after hearing this announcement. LS owners vary from the minimum age of 20 (LS400/430 with me being the exception at 18) to damn well 60 (the 460s, refresh or not). I acknowledge that forums only account for a certain percentage of owners worldwide- probably 5-10%; quite a few of the older demographics have a dislike for the design of the exterior. (One of them noted the rear window pillar and now I can't unsee it. It can do with a sleeker design.) Interior gets a pass.
Whic means nothing for 2 reasons:
1) Unless they plan to buy within the next 2-3 years, their views are nothing more than 3rd party.
2) As they grow, their views can and may certainly change.
I don't know about you, but I don't see many Asians driving around in LSs. In fact, I don't see any driving one at all. They generally go for the European brands.
1/3rd of our LS buyers at work are of the Asian demographic.
And regarding the older folks who can afford this car: who's stopping them to consider the Hyundai Eqqus/Genesis G90, Kia K900, and the established European brands? I've seen plenty of older folks in the Hyundais more than the current 460s. (I see more in the original designed 460s than the new 460s.) That is subjected to change, but it's quite difficult for me to see Lexus outdoing the competition like they did in the past.
Probably because neither of those brands are at the point Lexus has built towards to be in that price segment. People are still shocked at the price of those cars because of the brand on the grille.
Off the bat, it'll do well. I won't dispute that. I would consider one if I was in the place to afford a new car. (Right up until I get a GS F because midlife crisis.) My only point is that Lexus has some fierce competition now than before. Reliability can't be it's only selling point, especially when Audi stole it's crowned 1st place in reliability charts.
Please post a source for Audi taking #1 overall in reliability.

Consumer Reports and JD Power both currently rank Lexus at #1. Lexus has been at the top of JD's for 5 consecutive years.

Most of the older demographics want a big but very comfortable car. If that's all they want, why would they overlook the G90/Eqqus at a lower price point?
Speaking of price point, I don't see this car being under $85k base. New engine, new technology, new design all round, and it's standard as a long wheel base? It'll be up around $90k starting. Hence why I'm concerned regarding it's competition.
Again, Hyundai/Kia are still working towards solidifying themselves in this segment. They don't have the reputation Lexus has.

Price is still in the $80ks as well; coming directly from Lexus.

You've mentioned "fierce competition" twice now as well, yet you seemed to have missed that 2015 & 2016 have the been the best sales years for Lexus. The LC and LS as the flagships are only going to help promote the brand even more.

1/3rd of our LS buyers at work are of the Asian demographic.
I guess I need to get out more.
Probably because neither of those brands are at the point Lexus has built towards to be in that price segment. People are still shocked at the price of those cars because of the brand on the grille.
Of course they're not. They're doing exactly what Toyota/Lexus did back in the 80s/90s. Only time will tell if they will last, but don't ignore that they're punching out at Lexus directly.
Please post a source for Audi taking #1 overall in reliability.

Consumer Reports and JD Power both currently rank Lexus at #1. Lexus has been at the top of JD's for 5 consecutive years.
http://www.cbsnews.com/news/consumer-reports-reveals-top-2016-cars-brands-audi-ford-buick/
http://www.newsday.com/classifieds/...2016-include-audi-subaru-and-lexus-1.11504841

I've read about it last year. It wasn't JD Power who said that, but Consumer Reports.
Price is still in the $80ks as well; coming directly from Lexus.
That's interesting. It was only a while ago that it was within the high $70k range base. What about the options that might be priced at $5-7k each depending on how they package it?
You've mentioned "fierce competition" twice now as well, yet you seemed to have missed that 2015 & 2016 have the been the best sales years for Lexus. The LC and LS as the flagships are only going to help promote the brand even more.
Source regarding the LS? The IS, GS, NX, and RX are the popular choices. The LS is the slowest selling. I'm referring to the LS by itself.
As flagships, yeah. No dispute.

Of course they're not. They're doing exactly what Toyota/Lexus did back in the 80s/90s. Only time will tell if they will last, but don't ignore that they're punching out at Lexus directly.
I didn't say they weren't attempting to compete with Lexus, but right now, they still have a ways to go.
http://www.consumerreports.org/car-reliability/car-brands-reliability-how-they-stack-up/

That's interesting. It was only a while ago that it was within the high $70k range base. What about the options that might be priced at $5-7k each depending on how they package it?
It will be in the $80ks bc Lexus will build them pre-optioned like they do the GSF/RCF.

I don't see the car creeping over $90k. Looking at my current inventory, the majority are still sub-$80k, even the Nightfall Mica edition. Only 6 are $86k+, as loaded as can get without having the Executive Pkg on them.
Source regarding the LS? The IS, GS, NX, and RX are the popular choices. The LS is the slowest selling. I'm referring to the LS by itself.
As flagships, yeah. No dispute.
You kept referring to the brand as a whole in your previous post, so that was my assumption.

The LS sales were down, but that's also because Lexus purposely capped LS production this year to avoid saturating our lots with too many units. It will be the same this year as they will be built-to-order if they are not part of monthly batches.
He's one of thousands/millions that have the same opinion.
You have absolutely no way of proving such an asinine statement.

The LS sales were down, but that's also because Lexus purposely capped LS production this year to avoid saturating our lots with too many units. It will be the same this year as they will be built-to-order if they are not part of monthly batches.

So that's why there's almost no LS460s at the Lexus dealer I work at.

It will be in the $80ks bc Lexus will build them pre-optioned like they do the GSF/RCF.

I don't see the car creeping over $90k. Looking at my current inventory, the majority are still sub-$80k, even the Nightfall Mica edition. Only 6 are $86k+, as loaded as can get without having the Executive Pkg on them.
Is it only for the first model year? The 2017 GS F made a few things optional where the 2016 was baked into the price.

Nice to know. No 600s to speak of?
You kept referring to the brand as a whole in your previous post, so that was my assumption.
I was only discussing the LS at hand.
When I went to the Kia dealer, one salesperson explained to me that once a model year car (i.e. 2016) reaches towards the end, they'll try to get rid of as many of those model year pronto with incentives/price drops so they can bring in the newer model (in this case, the 2018 LS). Will that be the case for the LS?
So that's why there's almost no LS460s at the Lexus dealer I work at.
If there's a model redesign for any car, they'll do that.

Is it only for the first model year? The 2017 GS F made a few things optional where the 2016 was baked into the price.
I'm not sure but all my GS Fs came loaded the same way. Only minimal things door edge guards and what not differed.
Nice to know. No 600s to speak of?
No. 600s are very rare. They retailed around $120,000 iirc. Since I've been with the brand, I've only seen 1 new one.
When I went to the Kia dealer, one salesperson explained to me that once a model year car (i.e. 2016) reaches towards the end, they'll try to get rid of as many of those model year pronto with incentives/price drops so they can bring in the newer model (in this case, the 2018 LS). Will that be the case for the LS?
Possibly if they still have current gen LS models in Dec.

Otherwise, they'll probably try to move them as listed. That's part of the reason they're building in batches to my understanding.

No. 600s are very rare. They retailed around $120,000 iirc. Since I've been with the brand, I've only seen 1 new one.
If it's that rare, what are they gonna do with the 5th gen LS? The 500 (it annoys me how they pulled a Mercedes with the naming acronym now) makes close to the HP previous hybrids made and the MPG wasn't stellar from the get go. Many anticipate a F model, which I don't know if they will go for that. That's going for the S63/S65 (and M760 blah blah blah Excellence rubbish) and those are already lofty prices.

I take that back. There's rumors of the TTV8 in the works, so let them go bonkers.

With those two versions in mind, what sense does it make for them to make a hybrid?
Otherwise, they'll probably try to move them as listed. That's part of the reason they're building in batches to my understanding.
So they're still building the 4th gen LS along with the 5th gen?

If it's that rare, what are they gonna do with the 5th gen LS? The 500 (it annoys me how they pulled a Mercedes with the naming acronym now) makes close to the HP previous hybrids made and the MPG wasn't stellar from the get go. Many anticipate a F model, which I don't know if they will go for that. That's going for the S63/S65 (and M760 blah blah blah Excellence rubbish) and those are already lofty prices.
The 600 is a long wheelbase hybrid V8 that comes fully loaded. That hybrid motor is why it costs so much.

The LS500 is not going to be anywhere close. There will most likely be a F Sport which is nothing all that special; sportier design, tighter suspension. Nothing radical or drastic enough to increase the price significantly.

The S63/65 are not LS rivals. I don't know where you got that idea given that 1 of those vehicles retails at $227,000. The S Class is a subtle competitor, but not those models.
I take that back. There's rumors of the TTV8 in the works, so let them go bonkers.
A TT V8 is not going to be anything crazy in the LS body; the car isn't built to handle gobs of power like AMG.
With those two versions in mind, what sense does it make for them to make a hybrid?
The V8 is a rumor to start. The F model is not an actual model; it's a trim. And Lexus used to be very proud of their Hybrid line, so I imagine they would like to continue it, even if it retails at over 6 figures as well.
So they're still building the 4th gen LS along with the 5th gen?
No, that's if they have any left on the lot. The 5th gen is not expected til the end of the year. Based on the RX transition, I imagine August will mark the end of the 4th gen LS.

The S63/65 are not LS rivals. I don't know where you got that idea given that 1 of those vehicles retails at $227,000. The S Class is a subtle competitor, but not those models.
Again, I didn't say that it was.
Many anticipate a F model, which I don't know if they will go for that. That's going for the S63/S65 (and M760 blah blah blah Excellence rubbish) and those are already lofty prices.
I suggested it would be an F version because of the rumors twin turbo V8 engine that's been floating around. Speculations suggest at least 600 HP/torques; I don't know about you, but that is a lot of power for a luxury- just like the S63. I'm not saying that it's going to be certain, but if they do come out with the TTV8, chances are it's going to get cross shopped with an equally high strung German powerhouse.
A TT V8 is not going to be anything crazy in the LS body; the car isn't built to handle gobs of power like AMG.
Fair enough.
The V8 is a rumor to start. The F model is not an actual model; it's a trim. And Lexus used to be very proud of their Hybrid line, so I imagine they would like to continue it, even if it retails at over 6 figures as well.
There's been a lot of negative reaction to the lack of a V8. It's not overzealous for me to say that there will be a V8 option once enough people complain. I don't have an issue with it being a V6. They should try to push the hybrid line out a bit- not phase out, but try and get more people enticed into it.

Isn't Lexus trying to push out camera based side mirrors within the next few years?

I suggested it would be an F version because of the rumors twin turbo V8 engine that's been floating around. Speculations suggest at least 600 HP/torques; I don't know about you, but that is a lot of power for a luxury- just like the S63. I'm not saying that it's going to be certain, but if they do come out with the TTV8, chances are it's going to get cross shopped with an equally high strung German powerhouse.
That kind of power isn't going into the LS line anytime soon; it's simply not the car for it. What it could find it's way into (as has been speculated in the past) is the next gen. RC F/GS F as a desperately needed power increase. There's even been some theories may be the LC F will receive it, but that car isn't expected til' 2018/2019.

There's been a lot of negative reaction to the lack of a V8. It's not overzealous for me to say that there will be a V8 option once enough people complain. I don't have an issue with it being a V6. They should try to push the hybrid line out a bit- not phase out, but try and get more people enticed into it.

Isn't Lexus trying to push out camera based side mirrors within the next few years?
I can't imagine why. It's not like the current V8 is anything special; it's just there to move that big body and offer some decent pick up. The car is sold on its interior amenities more than anything.

I don't think the hybrid line will be phased out, but it's definitely not going to be pushed in the LS body, as it's simply too much money. They really don't even push it too heavily with the RX/ES. The Hybrids are just kind of there as alternatives.

Latest Posts

Back