2018 Lexus LS

• Thread starter CodeRedR51
  • 44 comments
I saw the new LS in person at the Atlanta auto show. It does look a lot better in person than in media photos. And for the asking price it does give a lot of features.

Dare I say, this looks more "interesting" than the S Class or 7 series.

Are you talking about the side vents or the middle vents? The Euro spec Passat does it better I think.

2015-Volkswagen-Passat-Euro-Spec-interior.jpg

Can't wait to see it. If the interior of the GS-F and LC500 is anything to go by, this should a stunning car to behold.

Lexus interiors are the best out there these days, at any price point. And if the LC500 is a preview of things to come, Lexus seems to be reaching up & over the Germans. That thing is a work of art.
It does make me wonder what the next IS will be like. Not driven the current one yet but liked the styling from the start - but if the next one goes the same way as the LC and LS in terms of interior and exterior design it'll be way more appealing than anything else in that class.

Lexus interiors are the best out there these days, at any price point. And if the LC500 is a preview of things to come, Lexus seems to be reaching up & over the Germans. That thing is a work of art.

Agreed, having driven a Merc CLA to the dealership, the CT200 felt like a big step up.

Don't know what to say about the interior. The floppy disk drive looks out of place. I like the instrument monocle, but the knob sticking out the side...
Been a long while since I've been in a Lexus and I understand the Lexus "swoosh" across the dash, but maybe they could have designed it a different. Guess I'd have to see the the functionality of it all, in person.

2021-lexus-ls-2.jpg

Sorry for resurrecting this thread...
I am late to the party.

It would seem to me that this car, despite its fresh design aimed at the younger generation, isn't doing so well after all...

I can only count the handful of times I have seen the car within the past two years... !! 2 years.

I don't have the sales numbers in front of me, but solely based on street encounters I have not seen much at all to my surprise.

What's going on guys ?

And I am not living in an Amish country...
I am in the LA greater area, SoCal where you see highend new German cars all the times... Where is the LS?

I don't think this LS is the most beautiful cAr, I don't.
But I recognize it is attractive in its own way...
It is NOT ugly, that's for sure.

I ESPECIALLY like the sport model trim, as shown above in white, but I still find the C pillar and the rear to be overdone...
The rear hips are way too big and looks overworked/overweight and heavy.

I know what they are trying to do...to give some curves,but here it doesn't look balanced...

It looks like JLo and KIm Kardashians butts... Too big.
If Lexus fix that in the next iteration, it will be perfect.

The LS is getting a new refresh for next year:

2021-lexus-ls-4.jpg

https://www.autoblog.com/photos/2021-lexus-ls-global-reveal/#slide-2247861

What do you all think...?

The car is designed with youth in mind. It's letting the designers do whatever they want.

The issue are:

Only the older adults can afford such a thing with the exception of some (very small number of) young people.
The styling is a turn off for some of those who can afford it, and anyone under the age of 35 (really 30) would go for an S class or a 7 series. (Audi is sedated and due for a refresh itself and Jag... well)

I do like the styling, but I don't see it doing extremely well against the competition.

I agree with your assessment. It makes very much sense.

Which means absolutely nothing; that's one of the smallest markets out there given a 7 Series retails at $81,500 & the S-Class is on the cusp of $100,000. People under 30 are nowhere near the target demographic for such vehicles, the LS included.

What the LS will do well at, is attracting the Asian demographic & older folks who have reliability as a necessary condition for their next purchase. Lexus excels in this area with the former as the Asian demographic not only generally likes supporting Asian brands, but (for those who can afford a $70,000+ vehicle) are very attentive to how they spend their money. The LS has always done well as a cheaper alternative to the German cars, relying heavily on Toyota reliability to keep concerns about the cost of maintenance off clients' minds compared to the 7 Series/S-Class which are (or used to be) notorious for reliability fees; it's part of the reason S-Class values diminish immensely.

This LS will do immensely well off the bat b/c it is the first new generation in a decade. Lexus styling is always quoted as "questionable" & a "turn-off", yet working directly with these vehicles every day, feedback on the design once seen in person, is very positive. This was Lexus' 2nd-best year in sales behind 2015. Proof the risky chance of the current styling cue "with the youth in mind" has paid off.

It's seems you are mixing all your data.
In this thread, we are only talking about this generation LS, without looking at any other Lexus or the brand performance in general.

This current gen LS can NO LONGER be considered as a bargain alternative to the Germans. Lexus is way past that, and you should know... Due to their effort over the decades, Lexus is seen as equal to the German, although the numbers might not show it...

How are the LS sales numbers working out three years in ??

As I said above, I haven't seen much of the new LS in the streets at all...
I don't think it's doing well at all, could be a flop even....

Prove me wrong, but that's what I perceive.

They might not be near the target demographic for such vehicles now, but they will be the next set buyers of such vehicles as they get older. A few of those who might be able to afford the car now might not be around the next generation refresh.

I said what I said because I spent a while going through the Lexus forums after hearing this announcement. LS owners vary from the minimum age of 20 (LS400/430 with me being the exception at 18) to damn well 60 (the 460s, refresh or not). I acknowledge that forums only account for a certain percentage of owners worldwide- probably 5-10%; quite a few of the older demographics have a dislike for the design of the exterior. (One of them noted the rear window pillar and now I can't unsee it. It can do with a sleeker design.) Interior gets a pass.

I don't know about you, but I don't see many Asians driving around in LSs. In fact, I don't see any driving one at all. They generally go for the European brands. And regarding the older folks who can afford this car: who's stopping them to consider the Hyundai Eqqus/Genesis G90, Kia K900, and the established European brands? I've seen plenty of older folks in the Hyundais more than the current 460s. (I see more in the original designed 460s than the new 460s.) That is subjected to change, but it's quite difficult for me to see Lexus outdoing the competition like they did in the past.

Off the bat, it'll do well. I won't dispute that. I would consider one if I was in the place to afford a new car. (Right up until I get a GS F because midlife crisis.) My only point is that Lexus has some fierce competition now than before. Reliability can't be it's only selling point, especially when Audi stole it's crowned 1st place in reliability charts. Most of the older demographics want a big but very comfortable car. If that's all they want, why would they overlook the G90/Eqqus at a lower price point?
Speaking of price point, I don't see this car being under $85k base. New engine, new technology, new design all round, and it's standard as a long wheel base? It'll be up around $90k starting. Hence why I'm concerned regarding it's competition.

Nailed it.... Once again, I share the same opinion, especially the fact that Lexus is slowly trying to attract the younger customers, although they can or don't want to afford this current LS, but Lexus is definitely looking to get future generations of buyers down the line...

I didn't realize your father was the Chinese representative.

Again, I work directly with the brand, specifically on the sales side.

Whic means nothing for 2 reasons:
1) Unless they plan to buy within the next 2-3 years, their views are nothing more than 3rd party.
2) As they grow, their views can and may certainly change.

1/3rd of our LS buyers at work are of the Asian demographic.

Probably because neither of those brands are at the point Lexus has built towards to be in that price segment. People are still shocked at the price of those cars because of the brand on the grille.

Please post a source for Audi taking #1 overall in reliability.

Consumer Reports and JD Power both currently rank Lexus at #1. Lexus has been at the top of JD's for 5 consecutive years.

Again, Hyundai/Kia are still working towards solidifying themselves in this segment. They don't have the reputation Lexus has.

Price is still in the $80ks as well; coming directly from Lexus.

You've mentioned "fierce competition" twice now as well, yet you seemed to have missed that 2015 & 2016 have the been the best sales years for Lexus. The LC and LS as the flagships are only going to help promote the brand even more.

As the brand sales and marketing, you don't seem to understand the market very well do you...

Seems to me that @aki ko knows a lot more about this topic than you.
Clearly you don't know the cultural and interaction between Chinese and Japanese people or the history....

To you and me, it is strange surely since we both grow up in the West, but having Chinese friends, I can attest of Aki Ko statement.
Especially the older generation, they will absolutely not want to do anything with Japanese products.
His dad is exactly the Chinese representative... You should learn better your market man, not just at surface level... It goes deep.

Then you have the nouveau rich from china, the newly wealthy, that's totally another ball game.

Some of the things you say are quite wrong about market research, unless you have no clue of the Lexus Sales and Marketing strategy for the future.... But yes Lexus is absolutely aiming at the younger generation now.

Lexus might not get the money from your younger generation now, but it's a long game Lexus is playing.

Denying the importance of the younger generation is foolish.

I didn't say they weren't attempting to compete with Lexus, but right now, they still have a ways to go.

http://www.consumerreports.org/car-reliability/car-brands-reliability-how-they-stack-up/

It will be in the $80ks bc Lexus will build them pre-optioned like they do the GSF/RCF.

I don't see the car creeping over $90k. Looking at my current inventory, the majority are still sub-$80k, even the Nightfall Mica edition. Only 6 are $86k+, as loaded as can get without having the Executive Pkg on them.

You kept referring to the brand as a whole in your previous post, so that was my assumption.

The LS sales were down, but that's also because Lexus purposely capped LS production this year to avoid saturating our lots with too many units. It will be the same this year as they will be built-to-order if they are not part of monthly batches.

You have absolutely no way of proving such an asinine statement.

Again how is the LS working out now?
How is the built to order strategy working out?

People who can easily afford the Lexus LS would prefer to buy Germans.

People who can barely afford the Germans wouldn't really look at the LS as an alternative, and nowadays have the Koreans who offer simpler products for a tad cheaper...

The LS seems to be cought in the middle...

Last edited:
I'm only going to address this in a few points.

1. You're commenting on a post from 3 years ago where my comments were made based on the market at the time. The LS did sell tremendously well in its first year based on its prior 5 years of production. 2019 was a fall off, but the brand as a whole, also struggled. Right now, being in a pandemic that has crippled the auto industry, this year is wash on sales across the entire automotive board; any comments about how well any car is doing now compared to the past is a stupid argument.

2. Unlike you or Aki, I made comments based from being directly at the sales level. Meaning yes, I knew exactly what I was talking about b/c my evidence didn't come from making generalizing statements about the market, it came from seeing the demographics who bought it.

Meaning this is a pointless discussion.

Back