2021 FIA Series Race Discussion

• Thread starter GTPNewsWire
  • 9,031 comments
Since it's the end of the FIA rounds for now I went in for 3 races back to back.

First Qualifying was dirty and felt like theres too many cars on track to get any space (who chose this for the finale? It's a bit of an anti climax, but one of my good circuits so I'll take it), but the race went quite well. Qualified about mid pack and finished there. Did S10/S8/H1/S7

SR went up slightly and DR down slightly

Second Qualifying, gentlemanly behaviour of cars that had been penaltied moving aside through the kink before the back straight or keeping right while I and others were on hot laps. Great, but in the race it kind of went a bit mad by the end with a few dirty drivers ruining it for everyone divebombing the first and last corners eventually causing animosity and revenge tic tacs. Similar strat and results to before, but messed up fuel and had to come in on the last lap for a quick squirt to the end. The VW needs short shifting and I misjudged it a bit this time.

SR up, DR down slightly

Third Qualifying - Yeah, now people can drive, not catching up to cars in qualifying, which was mostly down to people going off a lot. Set a decent qualifying lap and start 3rd. Have a good feeling about this room.

Race starts smoothly enough, driver in a Citroen space ship behind is keeping me honest. The guy in 1st is in a Skyline, 2nd Lambo and after a few laps the Lambo spins out putting me in 2nd. I was about 2 seconds behind the Skyline by this point but for the points to count I needed Top 4 so this is my best shot and the final race.

I take the first pit stop after 10 Laps, take on new Softs and a dash of fuel to top it up to 10 laps, I come out still 2nd but the lead driver is a new face with 10 seconds lead on me. No sign of the Skyline, probably going for a proper load of fuel and then ended up in the pack, big mistake. At the time I imagined the new leader would pit some time soon, so 1st was an outside possibility. Ahead of the pack still as by lap 10 people had already stopped, were stopping, or were trying to last out on the same tyres for laps 11, 12 and maybe bridge the gap with a few laps on H to avoid the extra stop but at the moment would be sacrificing time on track.

Either way I still had to get the Hard tyres out of the way and take on a big load of fuel, so my 2nd place was maybe not earned. I come in lap 18 after getting the best out of the Softs and bite the bullet with the H, as I hate stopping and doing the final lap on H, it feels like you can't come back from it, all or nothing. Of course doing 2 stops back to back I am wedged between several cars and the silhouettes of two lapped cars so its a mess and you can't get the power down. After a decent but slower lap I go back to the pits to prepare for the final fight, get my best boots on back to Soft but only 6/7 laps so I can hammer it, put the required amount plus an extra lap or so of fuel in the tank so I can hammer it. It's hammer time!

All went well, got back up to 2nd place - the guy who took the lead after I first pitted kept 10 seconds ahead, totally outclassed everyone, so I was happy to settle for 2nd as long as I could bring it home, or even 3rd when I traded places a few times with a Porsche (same as my car, well, isn't a 911 just a posh Beetle? ;)). Despite putting in extra fuel come the last lap I was getting a warning 0.8 laps left before I hit the finish line of the penultimate lap! That Porsche was only 1-2 seconds behind, and I tactically coasted a bit round the early corners so they closed the gap but couldn't pass. Short shifting on the back straight, being caught, the Porsche looks like they are making a move, have I done this wrong?

Final corner, I am on the outside the Porsche takes the inside. As I get on the power I know it won't last the whole way to the line, the Porsche overcooks it a bit taking the tighter line and skids slowing their exit, I get a great exit and pull ahead by 0.7 seconds but I have nothing in the tank so I sit and hope, and a second from the Finish line the acceleration stops, and I coast over just before they did. 2nd place. Best result of the season, and a good hard clean drive from everyone in the race. Perfect end to a season!

USA D1 with some Cs in mostly B lobby, Q10 as again trying to get a clear track is hard. Idiots get pens and don't have the sense to quit:banghead::banghead:
Remember fuel glitchy thinggy and try to keep clean. No idea what the tyre wear is for the Viper, but think it's going to suck on hards so might change strategy as it goes. Well that wasn't too bad, couple of donkeys who think my cars an aid to turning. Came 6th and chat was fun. One and totally done.

Might stick with the McLaren after all. Not a good qualifying, but knew that as a high 43 is all I could do. Race was filled with a lot of up and down. Pretty equal amongst cars this race as well.

@KosmoKazi and I did the exact same thing with the 2 stop strategy and forgot to take fuel, requiring another pit shortly there after. A possible Top 5 otherwise.

Was nice to have a little bit of banging without penalty. Luck I guess was on our side today.

I’ll take my 10th and go home.

Last edited:
FIA 2020-2021 Exhibition Season 2
Round 8 - Lago Maggiore Center / Gr3

While I was kind of let down by this combo of a small track and the Gr3 cars, I was determined to put in a solid effort and finish off the season strong.

Drew #6 in a solid A lobby with some familiar people including @afc5150 giving it a pre-run on his Alt account, and @HaydenFan69 among a few other regulars. Got held up on my first Qualifying lap so did the exit/restart, and managed to nearly equal my FP best time to get up to 11th, from further back after that first impeded lap.

Planned to start on Softs (and told people in hopes that some sportsmanship would follow if others nearby were making due on H's at the start, from mid-pack) and run the straight S/S/S/H or thereabouts strategy. I also swallowed my pride and put on TCS 1 to avoid any stupid mistakes while also protecting the rear tires on those hard exits.

But as I made may way up, and saw that my times were holding steady, revised my strategy to what @Famine said worked for him, a two stop. BUT: on my first stop, I forgot to fuel up, meaning that I had to come in before I could get to the H's with 1 or 2 laps left! DARN IT!!

So had to settle back into the 'standard strategy' and wound up a solid 7th. But based on the time I lost in the second pits, net of the slight drop-off in pace (which really didn't matter because I was held up by a guy down the stretch I am pretty certain I had 4th in the bag, if I just put fuel in when I needed it on the first stop... that's what you get for not running a practice race. Bummed I made the mistake... I just hit the button out of habit before thinking about the revised strategy!

Overall, though, an enjoyable last round, and proud of the solid effort and 2nd-best points for this season. Will likely shoot me up a few spots in the popular Porsche rankings, and I gained some DR and enjoyed a CRB without so much as a scuff on my Porsche, before I have to turn it in following the end of the season.

7215329624471929344_0.jpg

With @HaydenFan69 following

7206322422667051520_0.jpg

The sun sets on this season... not a bad one but missed my goal of earning Star Player rating again this time. I'l keep trying.

7359449207979148800_0.jpg

Eating the apex... the 911 RSR was really solid on this track... I was able to hit my marks and keep consistent lap times all race.

7214766671834153472_0.jpg

Until next season... and I'll probably stay with Porsche again then... I do like the way this car drives.

Last edited:
I’ve done almost the entire FIA in his splits and I’ve watched him repeatedly run guys off the track, spin them around and divebomb. I also have personal experience with him pushing me off in dailies.

I agree he’s aggressive, but I’d also categorize many of his moves as dirty. I have told him I will retaliate in any race I see him purposely make contact. So far that’s been once in our only race since the comment.

I've had a fair few negative run-ins with him over time, amazed he keeps finding his way back to SR S. News to me its his dad though.

Arggggghhhhhh!

Manufacturers Update

I'd done plenty of practice and really felt I could get a strong result. Entered the 3rd slot alongside... nobody from here as far as I know! And I'm pretty sure it was 2nd split

My general practice qualy times had been a 43.1, and that's what I was hoping to hit. A scrappy first run only yielded a 43.3 and then on my final run I hit 43.202, which was good enough for... 13th, just 0.155 off pole and second of three Ferraris with the lead Ferrari (2nd in Manu standings) one place ahead.

Into the race, I started on softs with the intention of a two stop. And... I'm not gonna bore you with it!

I passed the Ferrari in 12th because he was just too slow, got on with the race where I could and was hoping to jump people in the stops. Almost did it. Slightly overfuelled for my last stint (6H) and emerged from the pits in 6th with a train of cars behind... alongside... past! Got beaten up for a lap, 6th to 11th, and then none of the group had the decency to pit on the last lap or run out of fuel and I finished 11th, just 9.4s behind the race winner.

Been fun, it was a frustrating race today and I'm sure if I ran multiple attempts I'd get a score I'd like, but we're done. Eight races (one twice - missed BMB), 1016 points and I think 5th for Ferrari in EMEA.

Have a break, then do a bit of practising and let's see if we can come back next season that little bit quicker. I've set my target!!

The fuel use here makes no sense at all.

During my first three laps I used 3.3% fuel per lap - crossed the line at the end of lap 3 with 90% fuel.
Took my second pitstop on lap 15 (thus 16 laps completed) with 25% remaining, which is 4.7% per lap.
I fuelled with another 33% to make 58% for the last ten laps and still had to short shift on the final two laps - a rate of more than 5.8% per lap.
Across the whole race using more than 133 litres (assuming full pace final two laps) that's more than 5.1% per lap.

That means my fuel use went up to around 200% with a nearly empty car compared to a fully fuelled one.

Perhaps that helps to explain why people think the laps remaining counter is bugged at this track - it isn't, but there is a bug making car fuel economy get worse as the car gets lighter.
And a what??! I've had nothing like that

The lap counter and 'diamond' bugs when you pit, but not experienced anything like what you've said there. Everything for me has been pretty uniform. If I nail it it's around 6% a lap whether it's L1 or L26

Good seeing @Geauxgreddy and @afc5150 in the first two slots.

Did the third slot race a while ago. Qualified 5th and just needed to finish there or higher to increase my overall score. But on lap 2, I get punted at turn 1 by another Corvette and run straight into the wall. And just to rub it in, the stupid game gives me a 1.5 second penalty for said wall collision. He gets a 4 second penalty and keeps going but I'm just fuming. I eventually finish 10th for 109 points.

After the race, I call out the player who hit me in the chat and he apologizes and said he missed his braking point. I reply back telling him it’s alright and to be more careful next time. Sent me a friend invite too so it was sincere. But yeah, I think I've had enough of this game for tonight. Don't have it in me to keep racing after that, even though the incident was an accident.

Last edited:
Was really hoping to get back to A in the dailies to get some higher paying rooms tonight, but too much bashing. Did have a good race in my Viper, though. Started on Softs, but got knocked around a bit at the start (from 7th) and dropped a couple spots. Fought my way back, but burned up my tires a bit more than planned, so I had to pit after lap 11. Put on hards, and a splash of fuel, and managed a good pace (for me) of mid 44's. Did a couple extra laps on the hards to finish strong, and pitted on L16 for softs and fuel. Was a bit worried, as I came out in 10th, but I kept my cool, and saved my tires, and got to 7th by lap 20. From there I just tried to stay fast and smooth, and pit stops notched me up to 3rd by L24. Had a bit of pressure, but 4th must have needed a splash, or hards, and pitted on the last lap, ensuring my podium finish...for 115 points. Gotta get back to A for next season.

After having nothing but awful results in both championships the past 2 weeks, I was hoping to end at least one of these championships on a high note. I felt like I could do well here, but I also thought that about DTS, Nordscheleife, and Fuji, and all of those races were disappointing, so I wasn't going to get my hopes up.

Slot 1: I got placed in 3rd split and qualified 8th with a 43.394, which was my first time getting under 43.4 in qualifying conditions. In spite of serving a 1s penalty for breathing on someone's bumper earlier in the race, I was running 6th when 5th ran wide off track at the final corner on the last lap, and I barely finished of them for 5th for 203 points. Since my lowest score was 205, it meant this race didn't even count, so it was an easy decision to go again.

Slot 2: Set a slightly better time of 43.375, but this time it was only good for 13th in a room with people who didn't make it into the Top 16. I got another 1s penalty for making contact with someone coming out of the pits, and eventually finished 12th for 160 points.

Slot 3: Once again ended up in Top Split, this time as car #19, so I was worried about being severely outclassed. Instead, I somehow found a ton of time in qualifying and put up a 43.272 for 5th. This time I managed to avoid any penalties, but I lost a couple spots as a couple faster people who qualified behind me eventually bypassed me in the pit stop shuffle. Still, I finished 7th for 227 points, which is my 2nd best score this season in Manufacturer's. Obviously no need to go again.

Also, interestingly, the last time this combo appeared in the FIA (in the reverse direction), I finished 17th and got lapped.

Last edited:
Try #1
Door 2
Qualified 17
Finished 14
+44 Points

Started the race on hard tires, did the first two laps and then got rid of them. Didn't really have a strategy in mind.
Kept driving on softs until they fell off and pit as needed.

Try #2
Door 9th
Qualified 11th
Finished N/A

Practiced before my second try to get a practice lap time of 43.9xxx but couldn't hit that in the actual qualifying round.
Race started well on softs, made a few places, and got up to 9th.

Got a phone call because my food delivery guy was early so had to quit the race and grab food.

7246A39A-0607-4A61-9A5D-7E57B929AD66.jpeg

So that’s this season wrapped up and it felt like a good one. My first ever FIA win at Monza, a podium at BMB. Qualifying let me down at a couple of others but generally decent results. Got knocked out top 25 at the last race. Seems like forever since the RBR race!

Have enjoyed Jag and considering staying with them. Usually like to try something else so will give others a test once the tracks are released.

And as always, thanks to everyone on here with strategy tips etc! :gtpflag:

I agree he’s aggressive, but I’d also categorize many of his moves as dirty. I have told him I will retaliate in any race I see him purposely make contact. So far that’s been once in our only race since the comment.

I think this is a good example of a hard racing encounter. Only just enough space given. I might have overstepped on the final straight, but I had to go for it.

I dont think retaliating on behalf of someone else is right, let people fight their own battles and you can pick up the pieces, then you can use their interaction to plan the pass. Nothing worse than getting in a scrap with someone initiating contact then getting targeted by a 3rd party who didn't see the initial contact.

Anyway, finished 60th in manufacturers as I skipped the race. No idea what manufacturer to select next, will have to see what the races are.

Last edited:
For what was meant to be a half season in Manufacturers, 7th for Ford and 319th in EMEA can't be bad.

Felt like the GT LM had great pace at Monza and Blue Moon Bay, but qualifying on the whole was weaker than the main season despite many opportunities for top 10 starts and improved consistency as the season progressed. This wasn't as much of an issue at the Nürburgring with the way the Mustang is, but I was genuinely surprised to qualify as well as I did for the first lobby before that unfortunate disconnection.

The real blows were, of course, the disconnect at the Nürburgring and the first lobby at Lago Maggiore. Coupled with an unassuming run at Dragon Trail Gardens II, this lead me to lose 3,590 DR points, with my current total standing at just over 53K. Frankly, I didn't expect to hang on to my A+ rank for as long as this, but the recent issues have made me feel like I might lose it sooner rather than later unless I find a sharp upturn in form and fortunes.

There were some moves on my part which I will admit I could've done differently or not have attempted at all, but at least I made it through the final lobby without a major incident. I will say that despite the various issues I've had with both Mustangs and the GT LM, along with plenty of frustrating moments, the last two years with Ford have been great. Three podiums, several top 10 finishes and a glorious V8 soundtrack to listen to along the way. But now, I'm looking to move on to a different stable for the next main season; hopefully somewhere with more focus on handling and tyre management than outright speed.

Here's my final points tally for the Manufacturers series, overall more points than the Nation's cup somehow. Ferrari was a fun manufacturer and was somewhat fortunate the combo's seemed to suit the cars. Definitely could have done more practice for both and I still need to get better at qualifying as that's still my biggest weakness. Don't know which manufacturer I'll go with next although it'll depend on what the exact schedule is. Ferrari is still a lot of fun as the Gr3 car isn't as easy to drive as some others its still very rewarding when you get to know it, Gr4 car is a solid all-rounder however isn't the meta car for anything.

Untitled.png

116 | 183 | 49 | 173 | - | 120 | 139 | 151

Only 7 points away from 5th for Nissan, but I keep my S! Had my highest ever score winning at Monza, finally won a Blue Moon Bay race at a decent level and had yesterday's miraculous performance as a nice end to the season. I'm sure I could have done better at the Nordschliefe last week but I certainly can't complain about how the season went.

Very happy with this season’s results, even if me winning depended on a couple other fast guys either sitting out or not mastering the two Mazdas quick enough. Second time winning a MFG in this game, but both were in exhibition seasons of course. First it was BMW, now Mazda.

Even though I didn’t need it, I got my best score last night in the final slot after several attempts. Put it on pole in top split by finally getting a decent draft and got a 43.0. The relative aliens in the lobby didn’t get great qualy laps so nobody was in the 42’s. I knew I couldn’t hold them off so I just raced my race and ended up in P3 behind the OP VIPER and an R8. 19:30 finishing time wasn’t terrible for a Mazda, which struggled to find pace while also saving fuel.

It’s been great fun racing with all of you again this season. See you next time!

9D841EC2-ED49-4238-B89D-628658DAF190.jpeg

Although I had a better point average I ended this series as 1902nd, while last time I was 1216th, and 48th for Peugeot. Guess more people were active or just plain better then me. (not that difficult, I am an eternal B driver, it seems).
Very impressed with the final results by many others here!!!

upload_2021-1-17_14-53-56.png

Still pleased with my overall performance. Highlights were the awesome battles at Willow Spring, Nordschleife and Interlagos, getting top 5 finishes in these. Nothing better then two drivers who thank each other for the fun and clean battle they had, no matter which one won in the end.
Lows were my mistake at Lago Maggiore and poor races at RBR short and Monza. all in all i improved my overal performance again, this time i think my overtaking has been much better then in the past.

Think I will stick with Peugeot for the coming season, unless there is a drastic BoP update...

Thanks again to all in this forum for the good advice, the support and the humor!!!

And allready designed a first livery for the coming season, hope you like it?

upload_2021-1-17_14-58-25.png

Decided to race the last race last night. Maybe get lucky andcadd a few points, though I doubted I would beat my P3 finish. This room had about 40% A drivers, so more points. Qualified 11th with a 43.8. Good start, same 2 stop plan. Made 11 laps on softs to start. Pitted in 3rd place, but was running in 2nd due to early pitters from lap 8 on. Out in 5th, which I maintained until pitting on lap 16 for fuel and softs. Out in P10, and knew imediately that I could get to 7th at least due to the speed of the group in front of me. Clean pass into T1, another spot because of a 1 sec penalty on lap 20, another pass in the last corner, up to P7. Tires going, making time on P6. Get a run out of T3 on L23, on his bumper, inside for the last turn. No contact, hit my apex and slammed from behind. 360 and I'm in 10th. Saw the penalty flag as he dissapeared. Last 3 laps were make a clean pass, get plowed by him or the car behind, loose some spots. I finished 17th and the 4 or 5 cars in front of me all had penalties showing at the finish, as did I from a last turn, forced wall contact. Great race for 23 laps, total joke at the end. What is wrong with people.

As for @ShiftingGears post. Agressive...maybe a bit far back, though you did get inside. You did overshoot a bit. I would have been mad, but wouldn't fault you. If it had been earlier in the race, I would stuff it up the inside at some point to show that 2 can play that game...assuming I could catch you.
To be honest, some of my best race battles started that way...agressive move...agressive move back...respect...clean battle till the end.

Back