2019/20 Premier League & General Football Discussion

• Thread starter Liquid
  • 1,313 comments

European Super League: Will it happen one day?

• Yes and I want it to happen

• Yes but I don't want it to happen

• Undecided

• No but I want it to happen

• No and I don't want it to happen

• I don't care about an ESL

• Other opinion

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Todays results.

Burnley 1-2 Aston Villa
Brighton 1-1 Chelsea
Watford 2-1 Wolves
Newcastle 0-3 Leicester
Southampton 1-0 Tottenham
West Ham 4-0 Bournemouth
Man City 2-1 Everton
Norwich 1-1 Crystal Palace
Arsenal 2-0 Man United

Tottenham's defensive problems continue as does Southampton's resurgence, West Ham got their biggest league win in 12 years on David Moyes first game back, Man United were terrible!

Todays results.

Burnley 1-2 Aston Villa
Brighton 1-1 Chelsea
Watford 2-1 Wolves
Newcastle 0-3 Leicester
Southampton 1-0 Tottenham
West Ham 4-0 Bournemouth
Man City 2-1 Everton
Norwich 1-1 Crystal Palace
Arsenal 2-0 Man United

Tottenham's defensive problems continue as does Southampton's resurgence, West Ham got their biggest league win in 12 years on David Moyes first game back, Man United were terrible!
They were lucky to score 0. It is truly bizarre watching United resently.

Zlatan has contracted AC Milan to join him for the second half of the season. Good to see him in Europe again.

Liverpool just beat Sheffield United 2-0, very comfortable win with goals from Salah and Mane, Liverpool are now 13 points clear with a game in hand which they play at the end of the month, that is some record at this stage of the season!, Also they haven't lost at Anfield for 948 days.

Wayne Rooney made his Derby debut tonight in a 2-1 win over Barnsley and he got an assist.

So its the FA Cup third round this weekend and I tried to type up all the games but there is a bit too many of them!

What I will post instead are the TV games, there are six of them altogether.

Saturday
Rochdale v Newcastle (12.31 BT)
Wolves v Man United (5.31 BBC)

Sunday
Middlesbrough v Tottenham (2.01 BT)
Liverpool v Everton (4.01 BBC)
Gillingham v West Ham (6.16 BT)

Monday night
Arsenal v Leeds (7.56 BBC)

All other fixtures kick off at different times, on Saturday some will kick-off at 12.31, 3.01 or 17.31. On Sunday they will kick-off at 2.01 or stated above. the kick-off times are a bit weird and its part of the new FA partnership with Every Mind Matters encouraging people to take a minute to think about mental health, hence the minutes delays to the kick-offs.

Two enormous shocks in the FA Cup so far this weekend, with Fulham beating Aston Villa 2-1 at home and Sheffield Wednesday beating Brighton & Hove Albion 1-0 away.

And as all four of those sides were together in the Championship in the 2016-17 season and have occupied six of the 18 playoff and promotion spots since then (and two of six for much of this season), not exactly shocks even though the Championship teams beat the Premier League ones.

Anyway, who'd like to see the points-per-game difference between the top team and the best relegated team in each division this season?

upload_2020-1-5_12-35-4.png

And that's with Leeds and West Brom nine points clear of the rest in the Championship...

Tranmere secured a replay against Watford that was looking very unlikely at half time, they were 3-0 down but rallied back to make it 3-3 and take it to another game at Prenton Park.

Two minor shocks were the ones Famine mentioned with Fulham and Sheffield Wednesday both knocking out Premier League opposition, both Carlisle and Blackpool managed to get replays out of Cardiff and Reading plus Rochdale get a replay against Newcastle.

Wolves v Man United wasn't a great watch as it ended 0-0, Man City beat Port Vale 4-1, Premier League sides Bournemouth, Leicester, Burnley, Norwich and Southampton are all through.

The 2.01 kick-offs have began with Middlesbrough v Spurs the TV game and Mourinho has named a strong side. Chelsea v Forest, Sheffield United v Fylde and Crystal Palace v Derby are among the games on now.

A much changed Liverpool side featuring Minamino with some young players and fringe players beat Everton 1-0 with a spectacular finish from Curtis Jones, its a bit embarrassing from Everton's point of view as they had the best chance to beat Liverpool at Anfield in nearly 20 years and they blew it.

Derby beat Crystal Palace 0-1 and during the game the ref actually went to watch footage on the pitchside VAR monitor which resulted in a red card for Milovojevic, Middlesbrough and Tottenham will go to a replay after a 1-1 draw. Not a lot else happened today really, the third round draw will be before the Arsenal-Leeds game tomorrow night.

It was, quite literally, men against boys, yet Everton still couldn't beat Liverpool.

It also shows that Liverpool (I am going to jinx it for them now) finally have a big enough squad to keep the momentum going to the end of the season, instead of running out of steam when the end is in sight.

Metropolitan Police have ended the investigation into racist abuse aimed at Antonio Rudiger during the Tottenham-Chelsea game after finding no evidence to support the allegations.

It was, quite literally, men against boys, yet Everton still couldn't beat Liverpool.
It was touch and go for Liverpool in the first half with the chances Everton had, (and missed) but they were amazing in the second half. :cheers: A brilliant goal for Curtis Jones. :bowdown: If he never plays another game for Liverpool, (I hope that won't be the case ;)) he has fulfilled a dream of every Liverpool fan, but especially for those of us who live amongst the Blues, ;) of scoring the winning goal in a Derby. :)
Just in case Carlo thought it was going to be an easy (very) financially rewarding gig... :rolleyes: :lol: I think the Ancelotti/Ferguson/Everton positivity bubble has taken a bit of a hit. ;)

FA Cup fourth round draw.

Watford/Tranmere v Wolves/Man United
Hull v Chelsea
Southampton v Middlesbrough/Tottenham
QPR v Sheffield Wednesday
Bournemouth v Arsenal
Northampton v Derby
Brentford v Leicester
Millwall v Sheffield United
Reading/Blackpool v Cardiff/Carlisle
West Ham v West Brom
Burnley v Norwich
Bristol Rovers/Coventry v Birmingham
Man City v Fulham
Rochdale/Newcastle v Oxford
Portsmouth v Barnsley
Bristol City/Shrewsbury v Liverpool

Not a lot to shout about in that draw. Arsenal beat Leeds 1-0 tonight.

The League Cup semi finals start this week with Man United v Man City tomorrow night and Leicester v Aston Villa on Wednesday night, I honestly think we don't have a hope tomorrow!

Liverpool-Everton is the worst top-flight derby in the world. It's been utter dross for 20+ years.

I'm just delighted that Cefn Mawr's own Neco Williams got a game.

It's the same argument as saying "F1 drivers are more talented than NASCAR drivers". It might be correct, but it's irrelevant because the skillsets required are different.

I think the Ancelotti/Ferguson/Everton positivity bubble has taken a bit of a hit. ;)
I would not want to play that badly for a team managed by big Dunc. You heard stories back in the day about Sir Alex, but he is by no means the scariest Ferguson.

It's the same argument as saying "F1 drivers are more talented than NASCAR drivers". It might be correct, but it's irrelevant because the skillsets required are different.
Do you mean that Everton are NASCAR where Liverpool are F1? Or are you in the wrong thread?

Last edited:
Do you mean that Everton are NASCAR where Liverpool are F1? Or are you in the wrong thread?
Clearly the wrong thread :lol:
The sorry result of opening multiple alerts in multiple tabs and trying to join in two conversations at the same time

Man United 1-3 Man City.

0-3 down at half time, absolute ****-show!

I would not want to play that badly for a team managed by big Dunc. You heard stories back in the day about Sir Alex, but he is by no means the scariest Ferguson.
Although now not managed by Duncan Ferguson, how scary can Duncan Ferguson be as a coach, because he has been there for almost six years as a coach, and Everton have had some ups, but mainly downs in that time. It can't be that scary to go into training after defeats. ;) It was funny when the Everton fans were going crazy because he was in charge, conveniently forgetting the part he had been playing in the previous management set ups. :rolleyes: :lol:

I think he is now onto the 6th manager as an assistant, and yet Everton are arguably worse than at any period over that time. And the common denominator! ;) :lol: Scary on a football field, in a pub or on a drunken night out, but seemingly of little influence behind the scenes at Everton. ;)

Liverpool-Everton is the worst top-flight derby in the world. It's been utter dross for 20+ years.
It's particularly bad for Everton fans over the last 20 years. ;) :lol:

I'm just delighted that Cefn Mawr's own Neco Williams got a game.
The young lad looked very good, and hopefully he continues to improve, but he has a very good young lad in front of him in that position. ;)

Disturbing story in the UK news today about Bet365 and their ownership to the rights for some FA Cup matches through the week.

The company that originally bought the rights to the games sold them on to Bet365, who had exclusive rights to screen 23 of the 32 FA Cup games in the most recent round.

In order to watch the games, one was required to have a ‘funded Bet365 account’ or placing a bet, which meant installing the Bet365 app on a smart device and depositing at least £5 into their account in order to watch the games.

IMO, this sets a terrible new precedent - putting games behind a pay wall that requires you to either place a bet or becoming a paid member of a betting site is a step too far. What next? Watch the Six Nations if you buy a 6-pack of Guinness or open an account with RBS? It’s not so much the prospect of private companies profiting from the rights they have purchased fair and square, but the concept of effectively holding live sport feeds to ransom until you use their product that is worrying.

Disturbing story in the UK news today about Bet365 and their ownership to the rights for some FA Cup matches through the week.

The company that originally bought the rights to the games sold them on to Bet365, who had exclusive rights to screen 23 of the 32 FA Cup games in the most recent round.

In order to watch the games, one was required to have a ‘funded Bet365 account’ or placing a bet, which meant installing the Bet365 app on a smart device and depositing at least £5 into their account in order to watch the games.

IMO, this sets a terrible new precedent - putting games behind a pay wall that requires you to either place a bet or becoming a paid member of a betting site is a step too far. What next? Watch the Six Nations if you buy a 6-pack of Guinness or open an account with RBS? It’s not so much the prospect of private companies profiting from the rights they have purchased fair and square, but the concept of effectively holding live sport feeds to ransom until you use their product that is worrying.
I initially thought it was bad, but is it any different to needing to have a BT or Sky subscriptions? :boggled: They are both pay walls to sport content.

Indeed, it would be cheaper than watching a one off game on Sky subsidiary NOWTV. I understand it is a betting site, and some people have no control over themselves when it comes to betting, but they would have the problem without this offer. Buying a 6-pack of Guinness or opening an account with RBS would probably still be cheaper than a one off game on NOWTV, and definitely cheaper than being subscribed to BT or Sky and paying monthly. And you do have a chance of winning your money back, or even more, should you actually place a bet. ;) Not something I assume you are obliged to do!. Not an option in any other method of 'paying' for sport. :lol:

There is a league game on tomorrow night so here is the games for this weekend.

Friday night
Sheffield United v West Ham (8pm Sky)

Saturday
Chelsea v Burnley
Crystal Palace v Arsenal (12.30 BT)
Everton v Brighton
Leicester v Southampton
Man United v Norwich
Tottenham v Liverpool (5.30 Sky)
Wolves v Newcastle

Sunday
Aston Villa v Man City (4.30 Sky)
Bournemouth v Watford (2pm Sky)

Harry Kane will be out until April with a hamstring injury for which he will have surgery, huge blow for Tottenham.

Gedson Fernandes look like he will join West Ham on 18-month loan. Man United wont make a move for Christian Eriksen and we are begging Ashley Young to stay after he rejected a contact extension the club offered him following interest from Inter Milan.

Tottenham reportedly in talks with AC Milan to sign Polish striker Krzysztof Piatek for around £25 million and this is obviously to fill the Kane hole during the time he is out injured, they are also interested in Napoli's Arkadiusz Milik.

Chelsea's Olivier Giroud looks set to sign for Inter Milan for around £8.5 million on a deal until 2022, Giroud has fallen behind Abraham and Batshiuyi at Chelsea and his contract is up at the end of this season.

The FA are in talks with BBC and BT Sport to show the remaining FA Cup games this season following the news that some games in the third round last weekend were only accessible via a betting company.

Todays results.

Crystal Palace 1-1 Arsenal
Chelsea 3-0 Burnley
Everton 1-0 Brighton
Man United 4-0 Norwich
Wolves 1-1 Newcastle
Leicester 1-2 Southampton
Tottenham 0-1 Liverpool

Southampton avenged their 0-9 drubbing to Leicester the last time they met, Nice win for United and a good response to mid week, it was all Arsenal in the first half of their game but the hard work was undone when Aubameyang got himself sent off. deserved win for Liverpool, Tottenham did pretty well in the last 20 minutes but they looked like a promoted team for most of the game, Lo Celso missed a massive chance for them in the 82nd minute.

A spectacular way to win a game; one of the more bizarre wind-assisted goals you'll see.

Two games today with two one-sided wins.

Bournemouth 0-3 Watford
Aston Villa 1-6 Man City

Watford completely outclassed Bournemouth from start to finish, Bournemouth have some big injury problems and they badly missed some players today. The Watford resurgence under Pearson continues, and then we get to Man City.

It was 0-4 at half time, Aguero with a record-breaking hat-trick and he now becomes the all-time Premier League goal-scorer for an over-seas player with 177 goals, two for Mahrez and Jesus with the other as City took Villa apart, Villa contributed to some of the goals with some individual mistakes on their part and their goal came from an El Ghazi penalty in the 91st minute.

Both Bournemouth and Aston Villa are now in some big trouble.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back