2019/20 Premier League & General Football Discussion

• Thread starter Liquid
  • 1,313 comments

European Super League: Will it happen one day?

• Yes and I want it to happen

• Yes but I don't want it to happen

• Undecided

• No but I want it to happen

• No and I don't want it to happen

• I don't care about an ESL

• Other opinion

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
When Aguero got his second goal he surpassed Thierry Henry in becoming the highest scoring overseas player in Premier League history, when he completed his hat-trick he surpassed Alan Shearer in becoming the player to score the most hat-tricks in Premier League history.

I am of course very well aware that Football did exist before the Premier League's inception and I don't need to be patronised.

I also don't think my original post was poorly worded.

I am of course very well aware that Football did exist before the Premier League's inception and I don't need to be patronised.

It wasn't directed at you personally, I'm a 🤬 who does it with records quite a lot.

Brighton's Australian Goalkeeper Mat Ryan pledged to donate 500 Australian dollars for every save made in the Premier League this past weekend to an Australian bushfire animal rescue charity, there were 56 saves made in total with Kaspar Schmeichel making the most with 7, £14.700 was raised.

FA Cup third round replays are this week, Tottenham v Middlesbrough is on BBC One tomorrow night with Man United v Wolves on BT on Wednesday night.

Gedson Fernandes is in London to complete Tottenham medical ahead of an 18-month loan move with an option to buy and the other Portuguese Fernandes Bruno wants a move to Man United (god knows why!!) with Marcos Rojo reportedly heading in the opposite direction.

Valverde has been sacked from Barcelona after two and a half years in charge, Quique Setien takes over from his role at Real Betis.

Barcelona are currently top of La Liga on goal difference and were knocked out of the Spanish Super Cup in the semi finals by Atletico Madrid last week, its the first time that Barcelona have sacked a manager mid-season since Louis Van Gaal in 2003.

Spanish league is such a pub League, play like crap still top of the table and not good enough.

Spanish league is such a pub League, play like crap still top of the table and not good enough.

But for once it's the English league which takes the crown of "runaway leaders meaning no title race". Even France, Austria and Italy are a lot closer this year with PSG, Salzburg and Juventus being worked a lot harder for once.

Points difference between 1st and 2nd in top-flight European leagues, reputable and not:

Spain 0pts
Wales 1pt
Scotland 2pts
Austria 2pts
Italy 2pts
Germany 2pts
Netherlands 3pts
Portugal 4pts
France 5pts
|
|
|
|
England 14pts

3 of them do have a bigger drop from 2nd to 3rd but still, England by far and away the least competitive division this season. 47pts between 1st and 20th.

Last edited:
The FA Cup third round replay between Tranmere and Watford is postponed because of a waterlogged pitch, the UK has had some bad weather in the last 24 hours as Storm Brendan causes distruption.

The game will be rescheduled as soon as possible, all other games going ahead as things stand,

Tottenham have signed Gedson Fernandes from Benfica on an 18-month loan with an option to buy for £42 million.

Arsenal's appeal to overturn Aubameyang's red card is unsuccessful and he will miss next three league games.

Sheffield Wednesday has launched the pioneering "10-year Season Ticket" which, as the name suggests, will give you a season ticket right now guaranteed to be valid for anywhere between 15 and 25 years.

Brought to you by the same mathematics that saw Wednesday sell Hillsborough to itself for 50% more than any sane person would spend and in no way intended to balance the books to avoid FFP penalties, it works like this:

You buy your season ticket now, for between £4,550 and £6,400. That gets you ten years. Except everyone who buys it in this promotional period gets five additional seasons free, and it's capped to the 2034/35 season for all people buying it in the future. In addition, should the club achieve promotion to the Premier League, that starts a new ten-year countdown. That countdown continues should Wednesday be relegated again and doesn't start afresh.

So in principle, if you buy the season ticket now and Wednesday get promoted at the end of the season, you get ten years, plus five (15). If you buy the season ticket now and Wednesday get promoted at the end of the 2034-2035 season, you get ten years, plus five, plus ten more years free (25). Should Wednesday be promoted (for the first time) at any point in-between, you'll get your first seasons on your ticket, then your ten years, then any additional years up to 2034/35.

Of course we could also get relegated, so you might have just spent £6,400 on watching 15 years of League One/Two. Although that'd be £18.55 a game, so whatever.

It's definitely not a plan to raise £10m in the next three months, before the end of the tax year.

Oh yes, I'll just check my pocket for that spare 5 grand I have lying around spare. :ill:
Consider it this way. If Wednesday get promoted this season and don't come back down, you'll have 285 home games on the Kop at a price of £15.96 each. If Wednesday never get promoted (or go down one or two divisions again), you'll have 345 home games at a price of £13.19 each. If Wednesday get promoted in 2034/35, you'll have 535 home games at a price of £8.50 each.

The cheapest one-year season ticket is West Ham United, at £320 for 19 home games - or £16.84 each. Arsenal is the most expensive cheapest season ticket at £891 for 19 home games - or £46.89 each.

For a seat on the Kop at the least value possible - promotion this season and 15 years in the Premier League - it's a quid cheaper each home game than the cheapest in the Premier League, for 15 years of Premier League games. At the most value possible, it's as cheap each home game as following a League Two team only with a decade of Premier League games.

I'm not saying it doesn't work out as good value, it's just finding the spare 5 grand of liquid readies to gleefully hand over.

In the immediacy, it's a steep hit.

Here are this weekends games.

Saturday
Arsenal v Sheffield United
Brighton v Aston Villa
Man City v Crystal Palace
Newcastle v Chelsea (5.30 Sky)
Norwich v Bournemouth
Southampton v Wolves
Watford v Tottenham (12.30 BT)
West Ham v Everton

Sunday
Burnley v Leicester (2pm Sky)
Liverpool v Man United (4.30 Sky)

Not confident for Sunday....at all!

Todays results.

Watford 0-0 Tottenham
West Ham 1-1 Everton
Arsenal 1-1 Sheffield United
Man City 2-2 Crystal Palace
Norwich 1-0 Bournemouth
Brighton 1-1 Aston Villa
Southampton 2-3 Wolves
Newcastle 1-0 Chelsea

Man City dropped more points and it could've been worse as they were 0-1 down for much of the game, two Aguero goals in quick succession in the second half gave them the lead but a late Fernandinho own goal meant it was all square. Southampton were 2-0 up v Wolves but Wolves had a second half fight back. Quite draw heavy today.

Edit: Newcastle have just beaten Chelsea thanks to an Isaac Hayden goal in the 94th minute!

Last edited:
If Liverpool ****s up this title run they will never ever lift the trophy. Ever. Never. Ever. Again.

Honestly don't know what to think of our game against them. City, Arsenal, Chelsea and Spurs all dropped points this weekend so its the perfect opportunity to close the gap....but its Liverpool we are up against!

So far it is men against boys - well, men against boys and VAR.

Only 1-0 at half-time, but Liverpool are dominant and have had two goals ruled out by VAR. One because of a foul on the keeper which was then followed by a sublime strike by Firmino, and the other offside... both decisions were correct IMO, but the 1-0 scoreline is flattering to Man Utd.

That said, Man U had one good chance and could have gone in at HT with a very fortunate 1-1, but as it stands I can’t see Man U get a point from this game.

-

4 mins into the second half and Liverpool have hit the post and Salah has missed a sitter. If this ends in anything other than a Liverpool win, it will be a miracle.

-

Well, in the end, 2-0... but Man U did run them very close in the end.

Despite almost total domination at the start of the 2nd half, Liverpool faded and Man U could have come away with a draw, but for a lack of real quality when they needed it.

Meanwhile, Allison gets an assist for a sweet last minute Salah goal, and now Liverpool are looking like certainties for the title.

Great game to watch!

Last edited:
Man U's forwards show that Man U really isn't a big club at the moment. Assists were easily intercepted by LFC's defence, and the shots on goal were really just pathetic attempts at best.
Man U needs to dig into their youth squads to see if they can find players who deserve to wear the red shirt. The overpaid suckers that currently run around are not worth the money.

Also, I'm calling it now. Liverpool will finally raise the trophy after 30 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back