2019/20 Premier League & General Football Discussion

• Thread starter Liquid
  • 1,313 comments

European Super League: Will it happen one day?

• Yes and I want it to happen

• Yes but I don't want it to happen

• Undecided

• No but I want it to happen

• No and I don't want it to happen

• I don't care about an ESL

• Other opinion

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
May I also recommend a bet on the next Pope being Catholic?

Well, Liverpool have been close several times and they managed to run out of momentum all those times, and there is still a large part in my brain that says that they can still **** this up.

Liverpool made Utd look better than they are in the 2nd half, but the better team won imho. I know any team can beat any other in the Premier League, and games between Utd and Liverpool can always be close, regardless of their respective league positions, but there are now 30 points between them, and it shouldn't have been that close. I wish this was the position with 5 games to go. ;)

The Leicester result was a surprise. :eek: Vardy missing a penalty hasn't done my Fantasy Football any favours, seeing as I had him down as Captain too. Double zero points. :rolleyes: :lol:

Well it wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be! But deserved win for Liverpool, we had some chances and we stuck at it but we weren't clinical enough and we badly missed Rashford who looks like he will be out for months rather than weeks. 👎

There are Premier League games in mid-week this week and the FA Cup fourth round is next weekend, Ill post Tuesday and Wednesday's games tomorrow night.

Well, Liverpool have been close several times and they managed to run out of momentum all those times, and there is still a large part in my brain that says that they can still **** this up.
They just need 30 points from 16 games minus however many Man City drop, or 27 minus however many Leicester drop. In fact, they way everyone else is playing Liverpool could forfeit every game from here and still finish top 4.

Leicester City yesterday :banghead:...

Did anyone catch the match? About the 75th or 80th minute there is a clear handball by a Burnley defender in the box. He even chicken wings his elbow out but no VAR check? Burnley go on the counter a minute or two later and get the winning goal.

Here are the games for this week.

Tuesday night
Aston Villa v Watford
Bournemouth v Brighton
Chelsea v Arsenal (8.15 BT)
Crystal Palace v Southampton
Everton v Newcastle
Sheffield United v Man City (7.30 BT)

Wednesday night
Leicester v West Ham (7.30 BT)
Man United v Burnley (8.15 BT)
Tottenham v Norwich

Thursday night
Wolves v Liverpool (8pm BT)

BT have got five games, kick off times are either 7.30 or 8.15 (Wolves-Liverpool only game at 8pm)

Watford have a very busy week as they play their postponed FA Cup replay against Tranmere on Thursday also, if they win that they are at home to Man united on Sunday, so they have three games in five days!

Some very big games at the bottom on Tuesday.

What's Bournemouth going to do? The question asked on American tv this weekend was 'Is Eddie Howe sack proof?'.

Did I read right- Liverpool F.C. has 22 wins, one draw, and no losses so far this season after their tilt with Manchester United? Unless Liverpool defeat themselves, Liverpool may doggone well be champs this season. Amazing job by these guys so far!

To me, the game on Thursday away at Wolves is probably more dangerous than either one of these last two matches Liverpool has had because there's not as much hype around it. Especially after Wolves comeback against Southampton this past weekend. Their confidence should be very high.

Tonight's results.

Aston Villa 2-1 Watford
Everton 2-2 Newcastle
Crystal Palace 0-2 Southampton
Bournemouth 3-1 Brighton
Sheffield United 0-1 Man City
Chelsea 2-2 Arsenal

Extraordinary comeback by Newcastle with two goals from Lejuene in the final two minutes of the game after Everton dominated, a much needed win for Bournemouth and Eddie Howe, Chelsea-Arsenal was a great game, David Luiz was sent off for a last-man challenge but it was Mustafi's mistake which lead to it and Jorginho took the resulting penalty, Martinelli then scored a fantastic individual goal after a 65-yard run with the ball, Azpilicueta thought he won it but Hector Bellerin equalised late on, Arsenal played for an hour with 10 men.

Are Chelsea trying to see how badly they can throw points away and still finish in the top 4? They're still 6 points (game ahead though) ahead of 5th place, one of those teams who are facing Liverpool next.

Southampton's form since that demolishing by Leicester is insane, they went from looking assured of being relegated to being one of the most dangerous teams in the competition.

I forgot some of the the games were starting at 7:30, and I was also watching a couple of streams, David Perel, and the SuperGT, so missed much of the games. I wasn't listening to the football, but I can't understand how the Cit€h penalty was not taken again, because the Sheffield Utd keeper was as far off his line than I have seen for many years. :eek: And now in the age of VAR, baffling. :confused: :rolleyes:

I forgot some of the the games were starting at 7:30, and I was also watching a couple of streams, David Perel, and the SuperGT, so missed much of the games. I wasn't listening to the football, but I can't understand how the Cit€h penalty was not taken again, because the Sheffield Utd keeper was as far off his line than I have seen for many years. :eek: And now in the age of VAR, baffling. :confused: :rolleyes:
VAR can't rule on the keeper being off his line for a pen but can rule on encroachment into the box by other players. Bonkers.

Southampton's form since that demolishing by Leicester is insane, they went from looking assured of being relegated to being one of the most dangerous teams in the competition.

From the relegation zone to 3pts off 5th place.

It's a highly unusual season in some ways; Liverpool not blowing it being one of the things.

All without sacking their manager too. It just goes to show how a panic sacking isn't always the answer.

Also for reference, Southampton are now 3 points off a Europa League spot, and are tied with Tottenham. Tottenham have a Goal Difference of +5, Southampton -11.

I got home last night and watched the highlights of Everton/Newcastle. All of those Everton fans that left early thinking they had it all wrapped up :lol:

Looks like Man United are going after Birmingham's midfielder starlet Jude Bellingham, he is only 16-years old and is still on a scholarship contract of about £145 a week but he has played 25 times in the league for Birmingham and is quite highly rated with a number of clubs watching him, he will be expensive though, a bid thought to be around £30 million is set to be placed, Birmingham need the money for their financial troubles they have had in the last few years.

No idea what's happening with Bruno Fernandes and we have been linked with a number of strikers since Rashford's back injury, latest one being AC Milan's Piatek.

Man Utd should be concentrating on offloading their overpaid deadwood before forking out an absurd amount for a 16 y.o. ‘starlet’ IMHO.

When Liverpool’s goalkeeper has more assists than 4 Man Utd midfielders combined, you know there is something badly wrong.

VAR can't rule on the keeper being off his line for a pen but can rule on encroachment into the box by other players. Bonkers.
Didn't know that, but as you say, Bonkers. How the Referee and two assistants did not catch it is baffling, considering one of them should have been watching for that. :rolleyes:

Tonight's results.

Tottenham 2-1 Norwich
Leicester 4-1 West Ham
Man United 0-2 Burnley

You know....I'm not actually angry, I just feel sad and upset and a bit depressed that the club I love and have supported my entire life has become just a shell of the club it was just five or six years ago.

Burnley's first was a set piece which Chris Wood finished off that was badly defended and their second was a lovely goal from Rodriguez with some nice build up play, we had some chances but couldn't convert, Burnley defended well and were very well organised and we just couldn't break them down, fans started leaving at the 75 minute mark and what was left booed the players off at full time.

Tonight's results.

Tottenham 2-1 Norwich
Leicester 4-1 West Ham
Man United 0-2 Burnley

You know....I'm not actually angry, I just feel sad and upset and a bit depressed that the club I love and have supported my entire life has become just a shell of the club it was just five or six years ago.

Burnley's first was a set piece which Chris Wood finished off that was badly defended and their second was a lovely goal from Rodriguez with some nice build up play, we had some chances but couldn't convert, Burnley defended well and were very well organised and we just couldn't break them down, fans started leaving at the 75 minute mark and what was left booed the players off at full time.
Just watched the highlights on TV and they said there is a lack of quality at Utd, but after nearly £950M (I think) spent since Ferguson left, you have to ask on what! :confused:

Last edited:
Just watched the highlights on TV and they said there is a lack of quality at Utd...on what! :confused:
A manager

Even as a Liverpool fan I want Solskjaer gone and replaced with someone competent. Yes they're being crap, but not in a funny haha-you're-our-rivals-and-you-suck kind of way. The Premier League as a whole would benefit from Man U getting a good manager who can at least beat teams they should regularly.

van Gaal and Mourinho couldn't get the Man U train back on track, and they both have some serious management skills. And several trophies between them.

Manchester United as a whole needs a revamp. They tried the throw money trick but it doesn't work. Cut your losses, make a 5 year plan or something and start from scratch. Dig in the youth teams, make sure you have a decent batch of actual Manchester-blooded players ready to go or getting there. These current overpaid asswipes just are there for the money.

We need to start from the top, so the Glazers and Ed Woodward need to go first, the dream would be that the Glazers put the club up for sale and we get some very rich new owners with a new chief executive who knows how to run a Football club and not a business, next we'll hire a director of Football that has been badly needed then we can start getting in some players who actually want to play for the club that wont be on shockingly high wages.

Next we'll sort the manager out because as much as I like Ole I do think he is a little out of his depth, then after all that we can start moving forwards by competing in the Champions League and challenging for the league title within say 5-10 years, also Old Trafford needs upgrading as its looking worse for wear and we need to update Carrington too.

But this is just a dream, would surprise me in the slightest to wake up in the morning to find that Ole has been sacked, we wont sign anyone in this window, we scrape a top 10 finish in the league and that the Glazers and Woodward will still be running things for years to come.

A manager

Even as a Liverpool fan I want Solskjaer gone and replaced with someone competent. Yes they're being crap, but not in a funny haha-you're-our-rivals-and-you-suck kind of way. The Premier League as a whole would benefit from Man U getting a good manager who can at least beat teams they should regularly.
I can't say that I ever want Utd to do well. ;)

The manager is always the easy option to change, as Utd have been doing, but for that amount of money spent, there is a serious lack of quality and depth there. As time goes on, the type and quality of players that will go there may diminish. It could be said a new manager, with a higher profile and more experience could be the answer, but they have tried that twice already.

van Gaal and Mourinho couldn't get the Man U train back on track, and they both have some serious management skills. And several trophies between them.

Manchester United as a whole needs a revamp. They tried the throw money trick but it doesn't work. Cut your losses, make a 5 year plan or something and start from scratch. Dig in the youth teams, make sure you have a decent batch of actual Manchester-blooded players ready to go or getting there. These current overpaid asswipes just are there for the money.
Solskjaer is supposed to be the long term plan, but they don't seem to improving in any noticeable way. Anyway, that is for Utd fans to think about. :rolleyes:

Btw, the money trick can work, Chel$ki and Cit€h are evidence of that. ;) :( :rolleyes: :lol:

We need to start from the top, so the Glazers and Ed Woodward need to go first, the dream would be that the Glazers put the club up for sale and we get some very rich new owners with a new chief executive who knows how to run a Football club and not a business, next we'll hire a director of Football that has been badly needed then we can start getting in some players who actually want to play for the club that wont be on shockingly high wages.

Next we'll sort the manager out because as much as I like Ole I do think he is a little out of his depth, then after all that we can start moving forwards by competing in the Champions League and challenging for the league title within say 5-10 years, also Old Trafford needs upgrading as its looking worse for wear and we need to update Carrington too.

But this is just a dream, would surprise me in the slightest to wake up in the morning to find that Ole has been sacked, we wont sign anyone in this window, we scrape a top 10 finish in the league and that the Glazers and Woodward will still be running things for years to come.
Be careful what you wish for, as Arsenal fans are finding out. ;) Liverpool had supposedly wealthy owners who nearly took them out of business, despite the money coming in. :eek: Just being Utd and one of the biggest clubs in the world, if a player is in any way established, you won't be paying low wages, not when you are up against Cit€h, Barca, Real, PSG and Bayern Munich and the wages they can pay, inflating the market. And sad to say, but the Glazers aren't giving up that cash cow anytime soon. :guilty:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back