2019/20 Premier League & General Football Discussion

• Thread starter Liquid
  • 1,313 comments

European Super League: Will it happen one day?

• Yes and I want it to happen

• Yes but I don't want it to happen

• Undecided

• No but I want it to happen

• No and I don't want it to happen

• I don't care about an ESL

• Other opinion

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Solskjaer is supposed to be the long term plan

Amazing how a manager who struggled with Cardiff is now struggling with Manchester United.

Football is cyclical. Man United falling down the pecking order is no different to when Liverpool fell down the pecking order in the 1990s. It comes and goes. The remarkable thing with it on this particular occasion is that because Man United were so successful for so long, a disproportionatly huge number of people simply haven't known any different. Any Man United fan under the age of 40 have never experienced life for 95% of all football clubs; just being one of the others.

Top half of the most profitable division in the world. Yeah, a real disaster.

That isn't to say that the club isn't being badly run and bled dry. Hiring a Tesco executive to run a football club is a masterstroke.

Liverpool beat Wolves 1-2 tonight to extend their lead at the top to 16 points. Henderson and Firmino goals for Liverpool with a Jimenez equaliser in-between as Wolves put up a fight in the second half, another good performance from Adama Traore who rinsed Robertson pretty much every time, Sadio Mane went off injured for Liverpool in the first half.

Tranmere knocked out Watford out of the FA Cup in extra time of their re-arranged third round replay, it was a youthful Watford team four players making their first starts but taking nothing away from Tranmere who were magnificent and will now have a home tie against Man United on TV on Sunday.

Sadio Mane went off injured for Liverpool in the first half.
What a week to play Triple Captain on Mane...

It better not be serious and he's back, ready to score a Hat trick next week at West Ham.

What a week to play Triple Captain on Mane...

It better not be serious and he's back, ready to score a Hat trick next week at West Ham.
Yep. I may get only three points for Mane too from the two games for my Fantasy Football team. :rolleyes: Silver lining is the win though. ;) I think that was the toughest game of the season so far imho.

1 point per game deficit from the leaders:
Premier League - 43 points, 4th
Championship - 25 points, 21st

upload_2020-1-24_15-3-31.png

Just for curiosity's sake, what is it for the Prem without Liverpool? i.e. From Man City 51pts downwards?
15th, and four points ahead of the relegation battle.

Here are the games for the FA Cup fourth round this weekend.

Tonight
Northampton v Derby (8pm BT)
QPR v Sheffield Wednesday (8pm)

Saturday
Burnley v Norwich
Brentford v Leicester (12.45 BBC One)
Coventry v Birmingham
Hull v Chelsea (5.30 BT)
Millwall v Sheffield United
Newcastle v Oxford
Portsmouth v Barnsley
Reading v Cardiff
Southampton v Tottenham
West Ham v West Brom

Sunday
Man City v Fulham (1pm BBC One)
Tranmere v Man United (3pm BT)
Shrewsbury v Liverpool (5pm BBC One)

Monday night
Bournemouth v Arsenal (8pm BT)

This ended in a draw, so will go to a replay.

I mention this as, unusually, that replay will take place at the same ground.
I'm guessing that it's the first time this has happened since they stopped replaying the final?

Not too much to shout about in the FA Cup yesterday, Oxford take Newcastle to a replay after a 0-0 at a packed-out St James's Park, League One Portsmouth beat Championship Barnsley 4-2, a much-changed West Brom team beat West Ham 0-1, and that's about it.

Man City 2-0 up v Fulham who are down to 10 men after having captain Tim Ream sent off after just six minutes, Tranmere v Man United on ext with Shrewsbury v Liverpool later.

Amazing how a manager who struggled with Cardiff is now struggling with Manchester United.

Football is cyclical. Man United falling down the pecking order is no different to when Liverpool fell down the pecking order in the 1990s. It comes and goes. The remarkable thing with it on this particular occasion is that because Man United were so successful for so long, a disproportionatly huge number of people simply haven't known any different. Any Man United fan under the age of 40 have never experienced life for 95% of all football clubs; just being one of the others.

Top half of the most profitable division in the world. Yeah, a real disaster.

That isn't to say that the club isn't being badly run and bled dry. Hiring a Tesco executive to run a football club is a masterstroke.
Liverpool dominated in a similar way to United before they fell. It's taken them 30 years to get to where they are now. It took 26 years for United to win the first premiership title after their last first division title. That's a cycle all right.

Liverpool dominated in a similar way to United before they fell. It's taken them 30 years to get to where they are now. It took 26 years for United to win the first premiership title after their last first division title. That's a cycle all right.

For all the guff United fans can give Liverpool about not having won the League in 30 years, and will continue to point out that it took so long irrespective whether they win this season or not, it's actually Man United who have the longer gap between titles. Cyclical indeed.

Liverpool
1989/90 - present: 30 years

Manchester United
1910/11 - 1951/52: 41 years

Shrewsbury and Liverpool will go to a replay after a stunning second half comeback from Shrewsbury made it 2-2, the replays fall on the Premier League winter break in a couple of weeks so Klopp says he will put a second string team out again. Both Man City and Man United are through to the fifth round after convincing wins over Fulham and Tranmere, the fifth round draw is tonight before the last fourth round match between Bournemouth and Arsenal.

The second legs of the league cup are this week plus West Ham-Liverpool's postponed league game. And the transfer window shuts on Friday.

FA Cup last 16 draw...

Cardiff City or Reading - Sheffield United
Chelsea - Liverpool or Shrewsbury Town
Derby County or Northampton Town - Manchester United
Leicester City - Birmingham City or Coventry City
Portsmouth - Arsenal
Sheffield Wednesday - Manchester City
Tottenham Hotspur or Southampton - Norwich City
West Bromwich Albion - Oxford United or Newcastle United

Last edited:
Good luck.
The last time we played them in the FA Cup we lost 2-1 - having taken the lead.

The previous time we played them to that was the same season in the EFL Cup. It was 0-0 at half time... and 7-0 at full time.

The last time we played them in the FA Cup we lost 2-1 - having taken the lead.

The previous time we played them to that was the same season in the EFL Cup. It was 0-0 at half time... and 7-0 at full time.
Good win for Wednesday then :lol:

The Tranmere v United match told me one important thing about United....

That'd we'd be a title challenging team in League One.

Man United have made an improved bid for Bruno Fernandes of around £46 million with £8 million in add-ons, this is after Barcelona made a bid for him earlier today.

Tottenham have had a busy day, Christian Eriksen is now officially an Inter Milan player with the fee being £16.8 million, Spurs have signed Giovani Lo Celso permanently from Real Betis after a successful loan spell with the fee being around £27 million, plus they have made a bid for PSV winger Steven Bergwijn.

If it is a choice between Barca and Utd atm, then it is Barca every time imho. That said, it could be something to nudge Utd to up their bid, because all I had heard was Fernandes and Utd.

It will be interesting to see if Eriksen suddenly starts playing better, because he has been poor for quite awhile. Then again, Spurs have been poor, and have already seen off one manager. :rolleyes:

Man United have agreed a deal with Sporting Lisbon for Bruno Fernandes, he still needs to agree personal terms and pass a medical but its getting closer now. 👍 That Barcelona bid for him was definitely used to get more money out of United. he will be at the Etihad to see the City v United second leg tonight, we should tell him that we are the team in Blue!

Everton have rejected an £85 million bid for Richarlison. West Ham have signed midfielder Tomas Soucek on loan from Sparta Prague with an option to buy. Defender Pablo Mari has joined Arsenal from Flamengo on loan with an option to buy and Tottenham have now signed Steven Bergwijn from PSV for around £27 million.

Also that attack on Ed Woodward's house last night was disgusting and embarrassing and I hope the individuals involved are locked up.

With the money getting thrown around these days, 17m for Eriksen is a steal.

Yeah it was because his contract at Spurs was expiring in the Summer, he did tell them that he wanted to leave and wont sign a new deal, Spurs decided to get some money for him rather than let him go on a free in six months time.

Everton have rejected an £85 million bid for Richarlison.
:confused: Unless that is BS, I know nothing about football. Barcelona! Richarlison! £85 million! Not words did I ever think I would see in a sentence. It's said often, but football has gone mad. :eek: And if anyone offers Everton more than what they paid for him, bite their arm off.

Also that attack on Ed Woodward's house last night was disgusting and embarrassing and I hope the individuals involved are locked up.
A line crossed when protests move away from the ground, and into people's personal lives.

Man United beat Man City 0-1 but City go through 3-2 on aggregate.

Good performance from us I thought, our goal was a very nice strike by Matic which came from a Fred free kick in our first shot on target, Matic was later sent off following two yellows and that was the end of our fightback, City had most of the possession and chances as you'd expect but we stuck at it...and we have now beaten them at the Etihad twice in a row. 👍

Man United have signed Bruno Fernandes from Sporting Lisbon on a five-and-a-half year deal. 👍👍
Marcos Rojo has left United to join Estudiantes on loan for the rest of the season.
Wolves have signed winger Daniel Podence from Olympiakos for £16.9 million.
Sheffield United have signed Norwegian midfielder Sander Berge from Genk for club record £22 million.
Tottenham left back Danny Rose has joined Newcastle on loan for the rest of the season.

January transfer window shuts at 11pm tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back