2019-2020 NBA Season

• Thread starter Blitz24
  • 237 comments
By the way, there's some news that the Cleveland Cavaliers have agreed to a player trade with the Utah Jazz, sending Jordan Clarkson to the latter in exchange for Dante Exum and two draft picks.

Let's have a good holiday and all. :)

Merry Christmas, GTPlanet! We got some NBA basketball today and tonight. Consider this the NBA's gift to all of you. In case you need a reminder of today's games, here is today's card:

* BOS Celtics at TOR Raptors
* MIL Bucks at PHI 76ers
* HOU Rockets at GS Warriors
* LAC Clippers at LAL Lakers
* NO Pelicans at DEN Nuggets

You know, I am a bit surprised the Knicks aren't playing on Christmas. I always thought the Knicks playing on Christmas was like seeing the NFL's Detroit Lions play on Thanksgiving. Still plenty of action for today. So go enjoy some NBA hoops This Christmas!

So you didn't like those presents you got for Christmas? I'm sorry you didn't enjoy them. The NBA can cheer you up with these games slated for tonight:

* WAS Wizards at DET Pistons
* NY Knicks at BKN Nets
* SA Spurs at DAL Mavericks (NBA on TNT)
* MEM Grizzlies at OKC Thunder
* MIN Timberwolves at SAC Kings
* POR Trail Blazers at UTA Jazz (NBA on TNT)

According to reports, Luka Doncic will play tonight for Dallas. L. Doncic also reportedly has signed on a deal with Nike to release his own shoes. So you too can 'ball like Doncic.

Here are the results from the 2019 Christmas games:
* BOS Celtics at TOR Raptors (118-102; Boston)
* MIL Bucks at PHI 76ers (121-109; Philadelphia)
* HOU Rockets at GS Warriors (116-104; Golden State)
* LAC Clippers at LAL Lakers (111-106; Los Angeles Clippers)
* NO Pelicans at DEN Nuggets (112-100; New Orleans)

I saw most of the first half of BOS at TOR followed by most of HOU at GS. I even caught parts of LAC at LAL.

Enjoy this final Thursday of 2019!

As the Christmas Games have concluded, all teams with more wins lost against their respective opponents, even Golden State. :lol:

HAPPY NEW YEAR, NBA fans of GTPlanet! As we are now in the 2020 part of the NBA schedule, I figured I'd do another standings update. Here is how the NBA teams look heading into the 2020 part of the 2019-2020 NBA schedule...

--- EASTERN CONFERENCE ---
ATLANTIC: Boston (23-8), TOR (23-11), PHI (23-13), BKN (16-16), NY (9-24)
CENTRAL: Milwaukee (30-5), IND (22-12), CHI (13-21), DET (12-22), CLE (10-23)
SOUTHEAST: Miami (24-9), ORL (14-19), CHA (13-23), WAS (10-22), ATL (7-27)
CURRENT EAST PLAYOFF (top 8): MIL, BOS, MIA, TOR, IND, PHI, BKN, ORL

--- WESTERN CONFERENCE ---
PACIFIC: Los Angeles Lakers (26-7), LAC (24-11), PHX (13-20), SAC (12-22), GS (9-26)
SOUTHWEST: Houston (23-11), DAL (21-12), SA (14-18), MEM (13-21), NO (11-23)
NORTHWEST: Denver (23-10), UTA (21-12), OKC (18-15), POR (14-20), MIN (12-20)
CURRENT WEST PLAYOFF (top 8): LAL, DEN, LAC, HOU, DAL, UTA, OKC, SA

I have a few musings on these standings. Division-wise, you can say the weakest division right now is the Southeast Division, with Miami the only team with a winning record. Miami is plenty tough. Take nothing away from the Miami Heat. Milwaukee is plenty tough in their own right. Boston is doing very well. Though, I'm sure the Celtics have to keep a close eye on hard-charging Toronto and Philadelphia. As a Texas native, I'm glad all three Texas teams are 1-3, and more happy as a native Houstonian that we lead the Southwest Division. I expect both the Lakers and Clippers to put up a good fight against one another in their division and in the Western Conference. So cheers to both Los Angeles teams. I really think Denver (who my Rockets beat last night) is going to be tough to stop in the Northwest, but the Jazz are going to put up quite the fight in the Northwest.

So there you have it. Still a long ways to go, but a lot of action is still to come. Have a great day/night and a better 2020!

Former NBA commissioner David Stern has died. He died from complications from a brain hemorrhage he suffered from a few weeks ago. D. Stern was 77 years old. My condolences go out to all who have known and loved David Stern in helping evolve the National Basketball Association during his tenure as commissioner.

Sad day for the league. Despite whatever thoughts one had of Stern, from joining as a councilman to stepping down, the man gave nearly 50 years to the league.

Surprised to see he died exactly in New Year's Day. In several NBA documentaries that I have already watched, I would always hear him calling the names of players who are about to get drafted.

Great sympathies to his family.

This just in.

The Atlanta Hawks have acquired Jeff Teague again, along with Treveon Graham from the Minnesota Timberwolves, in exchange for Allen Crabbe. If I'm not mistaken, this seems to be the first trade of the year for this season.

The Greek Freak and the Milwaukee Bucks are getting closer to their 40-win mark of the season after winning their most recent game versus the Boston Celtics. This mid-January, at 37-6, they still remain in top, having the highest wins and fewest losses so far.

Since acquiring Jordan Clarkson in a trade from the Cleveland Cavaliers last December, the Utah Jazz have won ten games in a row, until the win streak was finally snapped in an overtime loss against the New Orleans Pelicans.

The Golden State Warriors, after winning their longest consecutive wins yet for this season at four games, have already lost ten-straight games after an overtime loss against the Denver Nuggets. The last time the team lost at least ten games in a row was 18 years ago, in 2002, mostly in the 2001-02 NBA Season. They have yet to win a game for their 10-win mark of this season.

The winning streak of the Los Angeles Lakers came to a halt at nine games after the Orlando Magic just outscored them by one point in their latest game. Prior to this, the Lakers have lost four games in a row, including a second loss to their crosstown rival, the LA Clippers.

Finally, I have observed that Western teams that have played interconference games recently have been dominating over their Eastern rivals as usual.

By the way, there's roughly a month to go before the 2020 All-Star Game so if you're looking forward to it, then mark your calendar, folks. The date is on February 16, 2020 at the United Center in Chicago.

That's all. Thanks for taking time to read this. :cool:

Last edited:
Here are some musings to share...

* Some guy from Duke University named Zion Williamson makes his debut tonight. The New Orleans Pelicans will host the San Antonio Spurs. So be sure to see how this guy does in his debut.

* Meanwhile, my suddenly free-falling Houston Rockets will host the Denver Nuggets. These dudes need to wake the hell up and save their 2019-2020 season before things get potentially worse.

* The NFL's Larry Fitzgerald recently has bought ownership stake into the Phoenix Suns. He is the only other active NFL player to own ownership stake into a team other than Aaron Rodgers, who has ownership stake in the Milwaukee Bucks.

* Even though I launched a thread discussing the WNBA, Kobe Bryant says some women in the WNBA could play in the NBA "right now." I know some WNBA players are impressively talented. Only thing I would fear is if a female player gets fouled hard by some big dude. Like, what if Brittney Griner or Elena Delle Donne get fouled by the likes of Draymond Green or Matthew Dellavedova? Also, the men's game is more physical than the women's side. So uh... pump your brakes on saying women could play in the NBA.

* Finally, today is the anniversary of Kobe Bryant dropping 81 points on the Toronto Raptors in 2006. The Los Angeles Lakers are at the New York Knicks tonight, and the Toronto Raptors will host the Philadelphia 76ers tonight.

Enjoy some NBA basketball nonetheless!

Your Thursday may be made better by the NBA with these upcoming games:

* DAL Mavericks at POR Trail Blazers (NBA on TNT)
* LAL Lakers at BKN Nets (NBA on TNT)
* WAS Wizards at CLE Cavaliers

Enjoy this Thursday night of NBA action!

Former Lakers Guard Kobe Bryant has died in a helicopter crash.

Just heard that whilst watching the Golf.

Shocking news.

I fell in love with basketball when I lived in LA in ‘98/99... watching Kobe and Shaq play was what sparked my love.

RIP Kobe... you were amongst the greatest ever :(

Just saw that when I was watching the Pro Bowl. Shocked me bad since I grew up watching him playing with the Lakers.

I am as shocked and as saddened as all of you when I learned Kobe Bryant was killed in a helicopter crash today. Kobe Bryant was perhaps one of the greatest NBA players of my generation. He was a true champion and top-level player in every sense of the word. My condolences go to Kobe Bryant and the family and friends who known and loved him. At the time of his passing, Kobe Bryant was 41 years old. His daughter, Gianna, was also killed. She was 13. Wow... I'm... rather speechless. Can't believe this.

GTPlanet... how will YOU remember Kobe Bryant?

How shocking. :ill:

And to think it happened in less than five days after LeBron James just passed him for third in the all-time scoring list. :indiff:

How do I remember Kobe?

I remember him as a young kid with an ego bigger than his rookie contract, talking smack to a then 5 time NBA champ Michael Jordan and proceeded to challenge his airness for 48 minutes.

But Jordan played along, because he knew Kobe was special. I didn’t know what a player Kobe would turn out to be. 18 time All Star, 5 time NBA champion. Two time Olympic gold medalist. He was the super star that I grew up with because I was too young to witness Jordan in full. But at least I got to see someone try to take on his legacy.

It really does feel like losing Ayrton Senna again, you know? Although Kobe was retired, it still felt it was only yesterday he was still in his prime, helping the Lakers lift trophies and being a general pest to teams during their down seasons.

It certainly does feel empty for me now that he’s gone. Like His Airness, there won’t ever be another Mamba.

But I’m also appreciative that I did witness his gifts to the game of basketball.

It’s only fair that he posthumously gets inducted into the Naismith Hall of Fame. No question.

I'll keep this short. Not a fan of Kobe Bryant, but he had a massive influence that's not there anymore. The loss of all on board is saddening, and they should be remembered as well.

I don't think of the Senna accident, my mind keeps referring back to Colin McRae's helicopter crash with a much broader impact.

I'll keep this short. Not a fan of Kobe Bryant, but he had a massive influence that's not there anymore. The loss of all on board is saddening, and they should be remembered as well.
Well, this tragedy is considered a big upset to the whole league, mostly because Kobe is supposed to be inducted in the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame this year.

A college baseball coach, John Altobelli, was also involved in the said crash.

A college baseball coach, John Altobelli, was also involved in the said crash.

Kobe, his daughter Gianna, John Altobelli, wife Keri, their daughter Alyssa, and Christina Mauser are the names released at this time. If what's been released is accurate, there are two more passengers to be identified. I can't express my thoughts properly. I pray for everyone involved, and that answers are found quickly.

Kobe, his daughter Gianna, John Altobelli, wife Keri, their daughter Alyssa, and Christina Mauser are the names released at this time. If what's been released is accurate, there are two more passengers to be identified. I can't express my thoughts properly. I pray for everyone involved, and that answers are found quickly.
Yes. All in all, there were 9 passengers in his helicopter, including the pilot, when the crash happened. Until now, still can't believe it. :indiff:

A big condolence to the families involved and especially Kobe's wife, Vanessa. She should stay strong. :(

I don't think of the Senna accident, my mind keeps referring back to Colin McRae's helicopter crash with a much broader impact.
Exactly. I was thinking of McRae or maybe even the disasters that befell Man United, Marshall, Yarosavl or the Brazilian soccer team a few years ago. In terms of horrific sports deaths (if this is supposed to be a ranking, which it's not), it's still below Senna and Earnhardt.

I heard tonight's upcoming match between the Los Angeles Clippers *at* the Los Angeles Lakers was postponed because of the death of Kobe Bryant. As for my Houston Rockets, we won last night at the Utah Jazz 126-117. The Rockets are on a four-game road trip, and this HOU at UTA game was the back half of a back-to-back. Our next game is tomorrow night at Portland.

A lot of the sports shows have had their say regarding Kobe Bryant and how much he has meant to the lives of others. I was drawn heavily when I saw "Speak for Yourself" on FOX Sports 1 yesterday. Some of the panelists were either tearing up or very emotional. It is all understandably so. There is no shame in showing emotion or heart especially after something like this. Life goes on and sports go on, but the amount of emotion and respect have been immense.

Kobe Bryant will no doubt be a Hall of Famer, and you'd be foolish not to induct him into any Hall of Fame considering what all he's done for the game of basketball and in life.

I heard on a local radio station's morning show that, supposedly, the Hall of Fame is forgoing the vote and will induct Kobe in the next class. Have not had time to look for verification.

Out of respect, he will be eligible for being inducted into it. It's been a long time waiting for this to happen already. We all know that's the greatest tribute he can receive now that he is gone.

Out of respect, he will be eligible for being inducted into it. It's been a long time waiting for this to happen already. We all know that's the greatest tribute he can receive now that he is gone.
Surprisingly, it just becomes official that he's in. He was already eligible for induction beginning this year (NBA requires 3 year wait post playing career). Kobe, Duncan and Garnett SHOULD all make it this year. (Kobe and Duncan are guarantees, KG a near lock as well).

Surprisingly, it just becomes official that he's in. He was already eligible for induction beginning this year (NBA requires 3 year wait post playing career). Kobe, Duncan and Garnett SHOULD all make it this year. (Kobe and Duncan are guarantees, KG a near lock as well).
Yeah, most likely. Sadly, once the event starts for inducting these new Hall of Famers, every individual involved in the NBA family, as well as the fans, won't be hearing his HOF speech anymore.

HEADS UP! Are you watching ESPN right now? There is an awesome tribute to Kobe Bryant right now before they host the Portland Trail Blazers tonight.

Looks like an ultimate last minute trade happened this February 4 involving four different teams, namely the Atlanta Hawks, Denver Nuggets, Houston Rockets and the Minnesota Timberwolves.

Also included in this 'monstrous' trade is Rockets player Clint Capela. View the link for a complete summary.

Last edited:
Right, GTV0819. We shipped off a number of Houston Rockets (now ex-Rockets, of course) including Clint Capela, Nene, and Gerald Green. Houston will pick up MIN's Robert Covington and MIN's Jordan Bell. These moves will reportedly give the Rockets some salary cap space. I haven't really read some of the trades that Atlanta, Minnesota, and Denver made in addition to the Rockets' moves.

The NBA's trade deadline is tomorrow at 3:00 PM Eastern.

Back