2019 NTT IndyCar SeriesOpen Wheel 

I fear McLaren aren’t taking Indy seriously enough. They crashed at 1 PM yesterday and still haven’t built a new car... they keep saying they’ll be fine, but they need to get their act together. They’re not taking this race as seriously as Fernando is

I'm feeling they get bumped anyways.

Until they buy out somebody's ride like Andretti Autosport did back in 2011... My money is on either Chilton or Kimball's, since O'Ward's car is going to be a converted Road Course chassis that's going to be slow as molasses. If Juncos can't get a sponsor, I could see McLaren looking at doing something there too in case Frednando Lonso fails to make the show.

I have to say that Racer's Indycar report videos with Marshall Pruett and Sebastian Bourdais are really fascinating to watch. The banter between them is entertaining, and hearing Seb's insight on the tracks and cars really adds a nice picture into the minds of what is happening on and off track.

Alonso's best non tow speed was something like 28th quick

There's actually a chance he doesn't make the show

Also the Delta wing design of the cars is inherently flawed. They shouldn't try to flip over every time you contact the wall. It's been like this ever since they started using the dallara chassis a few years ago

I honestly can't predict who's going home tomorrow, or who might have a chance at the pole either.

On the other hand, I think the weather's going to cancel the "Fast Nine Shoot-Out" though, so to me the focus is on the "Bump Day" session.

Alonso's best non tow speed was something like 28th quick

There's actually a chance he doesn't make the show

Also the Delta wing design of the cars is inherently flawed. They shouldn't try to flip over every time you contact the wall. It's been like this ever since they started using the dallara chassis a few years ago

TIL that one Indy is using the Delta Wing (they're not) and two that a few years equals a decade plus in time... What's potentially flawed is the lack of downforce these cars have compared to prior years. Indy has always been a low to lower downforce set up but this is probably one of the more extreme set ups .

I can't remember the last time I was that entertained by anything Motorsports related.

Indy is literally like 1 engine manufacturer and another chassis manufacturer from being back 100%

Today McLaren Learned: IndyCar is hard.
IMO the McLaren/Alonso effort is handicapped by a lack of experience of the team (especially the engineer ) the driver and the car working together over a long period of time developing specific knowledge of the Indy oval setup. That said, Alonso would still be in good company if he fails to qualify.

If Alonso would fail to qualify his McLaren Chevy entry, it would be one of the biggest stories in IMS history.

Of course the all-time jaw dropper come in 1995 when Roger Penske missed the show with Al Unser Jr. and Emerson Fittipaldi after totally dominating the 1994 race.

In 1993, defending CART champion Bobby Rahal made a late run but didn’t go quick enough to bump his way back into the line-up.

Two-time Indy winner Rodger Ward was stuck with a slow car in 1965 and never got going fast enough to qualify.

After a strong showing in 1949, the Novi team of Duke Nalon and Chet Miller were DNQs in 1950.
https://racer.com/2019/05/18/alonso-on-the-brink-of-making-the-wrong-kind-of-indy-history/

Even Fangio and Ascari found driving at Indy with an unfamiliar car and team to be an impossible task.

Well at least Alonso's engine didn't blow up this time?
Well, two years ago his Honda blew up in the race. This year, he hasn't even qualified to race. His engineer and/or mechanic is so messed up, Alonso's car was literally dragging its tail and showering sparks as he left his pit for morning practice. A true joke of a project. Reportedly, Roger Penske (or Ed Carpenter) have, in a moment of mercy, slipped Zack and his (sl)operation a valid setup. What they will make of it will be seen shortly as the track is finally drying from lengthy rains.

Well, Fernando did his best 4 lap average of qualifying, using borrowed shock absorbers and setup he'd never run before. Good enough to qualify? 3 runners to go.

EDIT: Alonso on the bubble with two to go, O'Ward and Kaiser.

Not so easy, is it McLaren?

tenor.gif

Also, happy to see Hinch made it in!

"somewhere men are laughing, and somewhere children shout, But there is no joy in Mudville—mighty Casey ...has struck out."

-From Casey at the Bat, by Lawrence Thayer

Back