2019 Porsche 911 (992)

You can configure a 992 with only 1 wheel.

992.jpg

Oops, looking at the picture again and enlarged it, it seems that there are no wheels. The shadow made me think it was a black wheel. :embarrassed: :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Does anyone know if the 992 C2, not the S, some kind of an LSD or a locking differential has?

The 992 C2S has torque vectoring Plus including electronically regulated rear differential lock and fully variable torque distribution.

The Targa is beautiful but I still prefer the coupe version. The Targe looks like it is less of a sports car compared to the coupe. But the Targa holds its value much better than the Coupe. I guess this is the wrong reason for choosing a Targa.

The Targa is beautiful but I still prefer the coupe version. The Targe looks like it is less of a sports car compared to the coupe. But the Targa holds its value much better than the Coupe. I guess this is the wrong reason for choosing a Targa.
In America the 911 is a luxurious and fast GT cruiser. It's actually a pretty good daily driver and good roadtrip car for long distances. It's like the Toyota Corolla of high-end sports cars being reliable and practical, and the Targa adds the convertible aspect to make your drive to work on a brisk morning that much more special. If I wanted a real sports car for sports driving then I would get a GT3, or a Miata. A GT3 requires attending a track day to use its performance whereas you can go to any curvy mountain road and enjoy pushing the Miata.

Speaking of Miata, I would also choose the targa RF version of that.

I like the MX-5. But it looks so toyish and small. It is a nice little car if you want to have fun. I think I would go for the standard MX-5 but with a hardtop if that is possible. Even better, a fixed hardtop which you can't remove. /end LOL :D

The only reason for me to choose a Targa is for it being able to keep its value a lot better than the coupe. I'm not really interested in the convertible part. The climate over here is not convertible friendly.

Maybe I'll get the GT3 and the Targa or a coupe. A GT3 for track days in the summer and a standard 992 C2 or Targa for daily driving. It probably depends on what my future girlfriend wants. :P

Last edited:
It's less fun when the damn diverter door on the Volkswagen gets stuck and it only works on defrost.

I still greatly prefer the targa of the 993-997 era but I'd still choose the targa 911 I think.

Last edited:
You guys are brainwashing me. :ouch:

Not long and I prefer a Targa over a Coupe. :mad:

:lol:

Last edited:
I have to say, I'm really liking the 992 Targa, with the Sports Design rear bumper that is. Honestly, if I were to get a 992, it'd have to be either a Targa or a GT3. If the Targa was available with a naturally aspirated engine and RWD, I wouldn't even think of anything else.

Little poll :D

Which 992 would you get?

• Coupe
  • Targa

If i was going vanilla 992 (or 991 for that matter) id opt for the Targa. Just as practical and probably just as stiff as the coupe these days, and it looks so good! (and i generally dislike convertible versions of cars originally designed to predominantly have a solid fixed roof) I don't think non-GT 911s are bought as pure sports cars anymore. They're bought as dailies, not as a weekend toys, as they're too big and too accomplished to be enjoyably pushed on most roads, so you might as well get the extra enjoyment from an airier cabin and the occasional wind-in-your-hair trip.

If i was going vanilla 992 (or 991 for that matter) id opt for the Targa. Just as practical and probably just as stiff as the coupe these days, and it looks so good! (and i generally dislike convertible versions of cars originally designed to predominantly have a solid fixed roof) I don't think non-GT 911s are bought as pure sports cars anymore. They're bought as dailies, not as a weekend toys, as they're too big and too accomplished to be enjoyably pushed on most roads, so you might as well get the extra enjoyment from an airier cabin and the occasional wind-in-your-hair trip.

I've always felt like 911 Cabriolets just don't work. The shape is wrong. The Targa retains the silhouette but provides the open air experience. If I'm going full convertible with a Porsche badge, it's going to be a Boxster.

(The 911 Speedster is a little better looking, but they are too rare and compromised to really be comparable with the regular 911)

I've always felt like 911 Cabriolets just don't work. The shape is wrong. The Targa retains the silhouette but provides the open air experience. If I'm going full convertible with a Porsche badge, it's going to be a Boxster.

(The 911 Speedster is a little better looking, but they are too rare and compromised to really be comparable with the regular 911)

I think it's quite telling that the 911 Speedster has had to be golden-child GT3 based, as the Boxster Spyder just looks so much better that the Speedster had to have that performance hike. The Speedster's long trunk-deck and smaller screen just don't hark back to the 550 Speedster quite as well as the Boxster does, and in the bloated 991/992 era, that disproportioning is only exaggerated.

A 911 with a roof is the enthusiast's choice where as a 911 convertible is chosen by someone who wants to be seen driving a Porsche. The Boxster doesn't fall into that same category and i think the Targa leans more that way too.

Last edited:
Was excited to see Gemballa & RUF were doing something together til' the post reminded me that Uwe's death was a bit of a big deal for a while. Had no idea the company was not passed down to his family.

Google translate of @GTboyz post:

Marc Philipp Gemballa is preparing the "Project Sandbox": a supercar based on the Porsche 911 Turbo S, inspired by the Paris-Dakar Porsche 959 and which will be powered by RUF Automobile. Marc Philipp Gemballa, who is none other than the son of the founder of Gemballa, Uwe Gemballa, no longer has any links with the German preparer, whose company "Gemballa GmbH" was taken over after the death of his father. At the age of twenty-six, he founded his own company "Marc Philipp Gemballa GmbH" (MPG), and last year announced the preparation of his very first model. This supercar will be inspired by the legendary Porsche 959 which won the Paris-Dakar rally in 1986, but will be a version approved for the road, with off-road skills. Although its features and design have not yet been fully disclosed, Marc Philipp Gemballa having only presented a few sketches of the model, the 10 copies of the launch limited edition have already been ordered. Ultimately, only 40 examples of this Porsche will be produced. Pending his official presentation, Marc Philipp Gemballa has announced a partnership with RUF Automobile, which will supply the engines: this is the 3.8-liter twin-turbo flat-six of the Porsche 911 Turbo S (Type 992), reworked by RUF to develop the trifle of 750 hp and a torque of 930 Nm, a gain of 100 hp and 130 Nm compared to the standard version.

Back