2019 Virgin Australia Supercars ChampionshipTouring Cars 

• Thread starter Spacegoat
  • 2,044 comments
Hazelwood’s SP livery on the silver background brings back memories of the Erebus Merc.

As for the Ford v Holden tribal buffoonery, I get it.
I’ve just never subscribed to it & I think it’ll die out in a generation or two.

Both Ford & Holden have produced absolute gems over the years.
They’ve both produced their share of duds too.

To totally discount or rubbish a great car because of the badge on the grille is moronic & should be left for those with a matching I.Q.

As for the Ford v Holden tribal buffoonery, I get it.
I’ve just never subscribed to it & I think it’ll die out in a generation or two.

Both Ford & Holden have produced absolute gems over the years.
They’ve both produced their share of duds too.

To totally discount or rubbish a great car because of the badge on the grille is moronic & should be left for those with a matching I.Q.
I don't have any issues whatsoever when it comes to the Holden vs Ford rivalry.... but it should be reserved solely for racing. To me the friendly rivalry only adds to the fun in much the same way as football and many other sports. I've been on the Ford side ever since I first laid eyes on a certain Coca-Cola Mustang and will never change.

My daily drivers on the other hand will vary greatly on what ever is needed, and best value, at the time no matter what brand it is. Like you said, they've both had their fair share of greatness and duds. We've been lucky enough to only ever have had one true dud, which my wife bought while I was away working.... a Camira :embarrassed:.

On another note, I've seen many people commenting on FB about DJRTP and wind tunnel testing lately and was wondering about the source. Guess who?
James ****en Phelps :lol:
https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/s...e/news-story/efe16f2ca0a79759e37ebc48b037e9e4

Edited in case the link doesn't work:
1.png

Last edited:
I don't have any issues whatsoever when it comes to the Holden vs Ford rivalry.... but it should be reserved solely for racing. To me the friendly rivalry only adds to the fun in much the same way as football and many other sports. I've been on the Ford side ever since I first laid eyes on a certain Coca-Cola Mustang and will never change.

My daily drivers on the other hand will vary greatly on what ever is needed, and best value, at the time no matter what brand it is. Like you said, they've both had their fair share of greatness and duds. We've been lucky enough to only ever have had one true dud, which my wife bought while I was away working.... a Camira :embarrassed:.

On another note, I've seen many people commenting on FB about DJRTP and wind tunnel testing lately and was wondering about the source. Guess who?
I reckon the Coca Cola Mustang is one of the very best looking race cars this country has ever had.
It had the performance to back it up too.
I can’t get anywhere near as excited about its Brut 33 livery though.
Still, we’re all so very lucky to have such an icon still around.

You have my sympathies in regards to the Camira.
I only had to drive one (JB) as a company car as a 19yo for a short time.
It must be terribly painful to know you actually paid cash for one :banghead:
That’s one helluva piece of ammo to use against Wifey whenever it’s appropriate. Hopefully, you haven’t done anything anywhere near as bad.

The Holden Camira.
When was the last time you saw one of those, even if it was rusting away in a paddock?
It’d easily be years for me.

I reckon the Coca Cola Mustang is one of the very best looking race cars this country has ever had.
It had the performance to back it up too.
I can’t get anywhere near as excited about its Brut 33 livery though.
Still, we’re all so very lucky to have such an icon still around.

You have my sympathies in regards to the Camira.
I only had to drive one (JB) as a company car as a 19yo for a short time.
It must be terribly painful to know you actually paid cash for one :banghead:
That’s one helluva piece of ammo to use against Wifey whenever it’s appropriate. Hopefully, you haven’t done anything anywhere near as bad.

The Holden Camira.
When was the last time you saw one of those, even if it was rusting away in a paddock?
It’d easily be years for me.
I was never a fan of the Brut livery either and I don't know any one that was.... and if I'd seen Stormin' Normans' HT Monaro first I could very well have been a Holden man. What an era for beautiful machinery that was.

I could only use the Camira as ammo for a couple of years. I did the right thing by the world and wrote it off, which wasn't hard with all the rust holes that had appeared in it.

I was never a fan of the Brut livery either and I don't know any one that was.... and if I'd seen Stormin' Normans' HT Monaro first I could very well have been a Holden man. What an era for beautiful machinery that was.

I could only use the Camira as ammo for a couple of years. I did the right thing by the world and wrote it off, which wasn't hard with all the rust holes that had appeared in it.
I was born the year Norm won his Championship so I never got to see it live but I have seen it on DVD.

It certainly was an era of liberal thinking thanks to the rules surrounding Improved Touring.
The Group C regulations that followed were a sort of halfway mark between Improved Touring and the Series Production rules that were used at Bathurst up until 1972.

You can add Ian 'Pete' Geoghegan's GTA Mustang (owned by David Wall) & the FoMoCo factory Super Falcon that 'Pete' eventually owned to the list of icons that still survive, which in itself is amazing considering how old race cars that are past their 'use-by date' are more often than not used to donate parts to the shiny new toy - whatever that may be.

I was born the year Norm won his Championship so I never got to see it live but I have seen it on DVD.

It certainly was an era of liberal thinking thanks to the rules surrounding Improved Touring.
The Group C regulations that followed were a sort of halfway mark between Improved Touring and the Series Production rules that were used at Bathurst up until 1972.

You can add Ian 'Pete' Geoghegan's GTA Mustang (owned by David Wall) & the FoMoCo factory Super Falcon that 'Pete' eventually owned to the list of icons that still survive, which in itself is amazing considering how old race cars that are past their 'use-by date' are more often than not used to donate parts to the shiny new toy - whatever that may be.
Ian 'Pete' Geoghegan's Mustang must be one of the only iconic Aussie cars from that era that Bowden doesn't have in his collection :drool:. I was lucky enough to see all of them race in person at Mallalla and Adelaide International Raceway in the late 60's and early 70's.

Edit: I'm liking this as well 👍. Great to see the teams getting in to the spirit of things.
Erebus-Night-Livery-Frt-3-quarter.jpg

Last edited:
Ian 'Pete' Geoghegan's Mustang must be one of the only iconic Aussie cars from that era that Bowden doesn't have in his collection :drool:. I was lucky enough to see all of them race in person at Mallalla and Adelaide International Raceway in the late 60's and early 70's.

Edit: I'm liking this as well 👍. Great to see the teams getting in to the spirit of things.
View attachment 817896
I'm jealous that you got to see the sport when it was exactly that - a sport. A time before the sponsorship dollar had any real effect & a bloke could snag a drive by demonstrating skill rather than a sizeable portfolio of backers. No such word as parity back then either.

As I said, jealous. Green with envy too.

I'm jealous that you got to see the sport when it was exactly that - a sport. A time before the sponsorship dollar had any real effect & a bloke could snag a drive by demonstrating skill rather than a sizeable portfolio of backers. No such word as parity back then either.

As I said, jealous. Green with envy too.
Thing is, while it wasn't all about sponsorship back then, it was still pay to win :sly:.

Thing is, while it wasn't all about sponsorship back then, it was still pay to win :sly:.
Yes, you could outspend your opponents & win that way if you wanted to but that’s been the way in most classes until recently.
More so back in the day though.

Take Norm Beechey as an example.
When he bought his first Mustang & it was the only one racing in its class, he started the 1965 Championship race at Sandown from 15th. He would’ve won from the back of the grid against that opposition.

Later on Bob Jane imported his ZL1 Camaro & that was the car to beat.
They changed the rules & said no more big blocks & he still won in ‘72.

Yes, you could outspend your opponents & win that way if you wanted to but that’s been the way in most classes until recently.
More so back in the day though.

Take Norm Beechey as an example.
When he bought his first Mustang & it was the only one racing in its class, he started the 1965 Championship race at Sandown from 15th. He would’ve won from the back of the grid against that opposition.

Later on Bob Jane imported his ZL1 Camaro & that was the car to beat.
They changed the rules & said no more big blocks & he still won in ‘72.
I probably should have highlighted this part :embarrassed:: ''a bloke could snag a drive by demonstrating skill rather than a sizeable portfolio of backers. '' because even then you needed the $'s moreso than demonstrating skill. Many owned companies and sponsored themselves as a tax write off, which is still the same now, except it's mainly dad's company now. Only the wealthy could afford to go bitumen racing, everyone else did dirt.

Last edited:
I probably should have highlighted this part :embarrassed:: ''a bloke could snag a drive by demonstrating skill rather than a sizeable portfolio of backers. '' because even then you needed the $'s moreso than demonstrating skill. Many owned companies and sponsored themselves as a tax write off, which is still the same now, except it's mainly dad's company now. Only the wealthy could afford to go bitumen racing, everyone else did dirt.
Do you read Australian Muscle Car magazine?

Do you read Australian Muscle Car magazine?
Nah mate, free internet sites only. I used to get into a lot of different car and bike magazines, mainly out of necessity (stuck in hospital), but not any more.

Nah mate, free internet sites only. I used to get into a lot of different car and bike magazines, mainly out of necessity (stuck in hospital), but not any more.
That’s the only magazine I keep these days but I used to have a libraries worth of various titles with no gaps.
It dawned on me one day that I’d read most at least once & boxed it up never to be seen again.

Sold the lot, don’t miss them & love the space. Not going to miss having to move them from one address to the next when that day comes.

I've seen David Wall drive the Geoghegan Mustang at the Muscle Car Masters a few times. As cool as that was. Can't begin to imagine how awesome it must have been to see it in action back in the day. 👍
erebus-night-livery-frt-3-quarter-jpg.817896

Is there anyway possible way that every race can be at night? God damn. :drool:

Last edited:
Didn't realise practice for the supports is happening now. Was just waiting til 6pm.

That WM WASTE AMG looks nice.

That GT3 Camaro is still running.

I've seen David Wall drive the Geoghegan Mustang at the Muscle Car Masters a few times. As cool as that was. Can't begin to imagine how awesome it must have been to see it in action back in the day. 👍
And driven with absolute skill, determination & flair on the old cross-ply rubber.

The story goes that when Geoghegan sold the Mustang, the guy that bought it couldn't get anywhere near Geoghegan's times at Warwick Farm & started moaning about it, saying he'd been sold the car with inferior spares or something along those lines.
On hearing the guy have a whinge, Geoghegan got behind the wheel, did one flying lap within tenths of his own lap record, climbed out of the car & told the guy there was nothing wrong with it.

Slap, burn, reality check, full stop.

Check that Volvo and Impala Edit: Correction, Bel Air on the Historic car grid! The 510/1600 as well. Cool! Oh, the Jag too!

Considering they changed the Penrite logos to make them reflective, it’s almost impossible to them on the bonnet lol.

Blanchard’s car looks absolutely fantastic.

They're 0.2 off the GT3 cars. Even though the GT cars were running in higher track temps, the VASC are still pretty quick now.

Well, Scott just matched the GT3 53.800 time, with a 53.821.

Last edited:
How are these laps that CL is doing not breaking the co-driver rules?

Was thinking that as well. It's not like he and Murph were parading around either. Looked like they were cutting some fairly quick times.

Also, I hope somebody told Pye last night that this isn't a rally cross race. He didn't need to do a joker lap. :lol:

Was thinking that as well. It's not like he and Murph were parading around either. Looked like they were cutting some fairly quick times.
They certainly had their boot into it and Lowndsey was pretty quick to go and give JDub the low down on how the car felt as well :odd:. There was absolutely no reason for CL to be out there at all. Murph should have been the only one on track having a blast around in the Nissan.

I also disliked CL with his T8 gear on in front of the camera afterwards. Reporter or driver, not both. These types of stunts are why people see bias towards T8.
Also, I hope somebody told Pye last night that this isn't a rally cross race. He didn't need to do a joker lap. :lol:
:lol: Pye's impersonation of a snow plough was pretty entertaining.

Will Chaz go to DJRTP?
Tough choice, as Fabs is 2nd in the Championship. However, comparing Chaz and Fabs, they're pretty even in normal conditions. When the car USB bad they're bad. When it's good, they're good.

Thing is, Chaz is the consistently harder racer. He'll press, go for the opening, defend, a racer you don't want in your mirror.
Fabs fades away in heated battles. He can't keep up with Giz where as Chaz can.

Will be interesting as the season goes on.

The best (and only) explanation of what's going on with the Mustang, Supercars and the ''P'' word. Great show :bowdown::
Enforcer & The Dude Episode 2

From the show:
Untitledkjhgfd.png

I also read on social media that Steven Johnson has said it's 26% reduction of the end plates, which seems about right (everything outside the purple lines is what's been trimmed according to my approximation):
Mustang-wing-endplates-1200x800.png

Paul also brought up something I was suspicious of when I first saw the Mustang last year:
Something that to me is a bit of a concern regarding the legality of the Mustang.

View attachment 779389

While not technically part of the control wing, surely that extra lip has to add downforce to the rear :confused:.

Last edited:
The S60 had a similar on "built in"

IMG_6801.JPG

I thought that was suspect with not only the overhang, but the ducktail as well.

Back