2019 Virgin Australia Supercars ChampionshipTouring Cars 

• Thread starter Spacegoat
  • 2,044 comments
So I'm watching at least some period of a Supercars race for the first time this year and, amazingly, Scott McLaughlin isn't leading it. You guys want me to watch more of it?

Mind you, judging V8 Supercars on a wet race is probably a bit like judging NASCAR on its race at Sonoma. (Although that happens to be the only NASCAR race I've watched in its entirety this year as well.)

No idea how Courtney ended up 13th after the team screwed him by putting wets on after the first pit stop. Solid recovery.

Didn't realize that Simona finished 10th. Nice.

That race was one of the best races I've ever seen, such a shame it had to be time certain - a sprint to the end after a restart would have been amazing. Alas, Supercars' TV broadcast rules dictates time certainty, so we had that taken away from us.

I think Scott could have finished a lot further up than he did, DJR dropped the ball with strategy a bit there and putting him a lap down behind Fabian during the first SC really cost him big. Considering the amount of drivers mid-pack that had dramas, being a lap down made it really difficult to capitalise on those and definitely cost #17 a handful of positions at the flag. During that SC I was wondering if Scott would get a wave-around if Fabian went through pit lane again from the lead - because the SC has to pick up the leader and if the race leader is no longer the first car behind the SC, do they wave cars past until the leader is at the head of the queue?

Social media toxic again, as expected.

With Percat and Slade serving penalties, that gives Simona 10th, but Scott is behind her.

To be honest I think the penalties in Supercars are too harsh. There should be 5 or 10 second penalties available. In Tim Slade's case today, he tipped Simona into a half-spin, then he waited until she took off before continuing... then he still got a 15-second penalty.

I also don't think a drive-through penalty with a pit lane speed limit of 40km/h is appropriate for most cases where it gets awarded.

Today's race was one of the more bizarre Supercars races I have seen.

I could’ve sworn I read somewhere that Supercars we’re doing away with time certainties? Regardless, that was a great race with action right the way through, up and down the grid.

They were talking about wanting to doaway time certain finishes, but I think the talk was about it starting next year. It’s a shame because we would’ve had a few laps to go with everyone running in their corrected order, would’ve been fantastic.

I could’ve sworn I read somewhere that Supercars we’re doing away with time certainties? Regardless, that was a great race with action right the way through, up and down the grid.
It was Auto Action. I posted it here, but luckily I put in the disclaimer of 'I'll believe it when it's official though' :sly::

AA was on the money with the CoG testing so if they continue in this vain it looks like we're in for some great news, I'll believe it when it's official though.

https://autoaction.com.au/2019/03/21/supercars-drops-time-certain-finishes

''The only reasons they’ll be cut short is if there are track safety concerns due to crashes or weather, or failing light.

Race start times will also be brought forward if there is a known risk of interruptions, delays or hazards, such as a forecast of adverse weather conditions.''

The rule change to end the unpopular time-certain finishes was authorised by Supercars chief executive Sean Seamer at last weekend’s Australian Grand Prix.

Time Certain really needs to go :grumpy:. That could have been an epic finish to what had been a great race but it just fizzled out imo.

Edit: More changes :indiff:: https://www.supercars.com/news/championship/supercars-makes-ballast-changes-for-ipswich/

Last edited:
Again, I wish they'd get rid of the lap count. Set the clock at one hour, two hours or three hours and count down. The lap count and their broadcast countdown, makes laps redundant. Once everyone see the clock, teams can still work out when they need to stop.

Someone that has damage and are fixing the car for any length of time, just Class them at the percentage like normal. Yesterday, the field didn't go the distance. So, VASC still have to calculate who the classified finishers are.

Even if races are started earlier, VASC still find a way to make them time certain.

It was Auto Action. I posted it here, but luckily I put in the disclaimer of 'I'll believe it when it's official though' :sly::

Time Certain really needs to go :grumpy:. That could have been an epic finish to what had been a great race but it just fizzled out imo.

Edit: More changes :indiff:: https://www.supercars.com/news/championship/supercars-makes-ballast-changes-for-ipswich/
Bummer yes, but the race had already seen enough action IMO. Not having a 5 lap sprint doesn't upset me too much.

This is hilarious to me considering during the qualifying sessions they wouldn't shut up about how close the field was in time. Unnecessary.
Yep, both hilarious and unnecessary, especially when they talk so much about cost cutting. For example ''9kg of ballast will be removed from the roof and composite parts will be replaced by steel roof beams in the Mustang.'' How's that saving money?

Here's an idea @Supercars, don't make any of the teams change anything. There's no man hours invoved in that!

Bummer yes, but the race had already seen enough action IMO. Not having a 5 lap sprint doesn't upset me too much.
It doen't upset me either... but, as I mentioned, it would've been an ideal way to top off what had been a great race to that point.

Should have been done this. VASC needs that world wide audience. Just couldn't see how not broadcasting on the YouTube channel would up their viewership(pockets).

:banghead:
https://www.speedcafe.com/2019/07/24/horsepower-drop-could-save-teams-15-percent-on-engine-costs/

Who knows how many races Erebus and Nissan could have won, if Ford & Holden dropped engine power from 2013? This is messed up.

First, Betty had the drive by wire and Safety Cell. Cancelled the drive by wire, but no one else did a safety cell until Penske came in.
Now VASC want to test the dbw. So late to the game. This news just slaps KR in the face. All that money spent to play catch up and all teams needed to do were dial back. Now it's a thing... :rolleyes:

Rumor going around that Irwin Racing are going to be expanding to a two car team with Courtney in the 2nd car. Hoping that means Pye will be staying at WAU.

You know these free live streams of the practice sessions are great and all, but I really wish they would stop cutting the feed at the end in the middle of an interview...

Hard to believe that Hazelwood doesn't have a drive lined up for next year. Imagine what he could do with a few more years of experience under his belt and the right car. He and De Pasquale are going to be superstars.

Why are they hyping up the battle between 1st and 2nd when 2nd and 3rd have the closest times?

Edit: With TCR racing at QR next weekend, it's going to be interesting how the Michelins hold up and if the surface will remain loose.

Last edited:
Find it funny that yesterday Whincup was claiming T8 are on struggle street and he goes today and qualifies 2nd. That was a quick turn around.

I think the lack of posts here yesterday really shows how interesting the race was...

Looks like it’ll be more of the same today. Bit of excitement at T1-2 on lap one and that’s it.

I think the lack of posts here yesterday really shows how interesting the race was...

Looks like it’ll be more of the same today. Bit of excitement at T1-2 on lap one and that’s it.
The finish was a bit tense. Though there was plenty happening mid-field that they never talked about. Like Heimgartner being strong all day and Anton fighting back after the incident with Coultard.

Back