2019 Virgin Australia Supercars ChampionshipTouring Cars 

• Thread starter Spacegoat
  • 2,044 comments
I only saw the first couple of laps because the footy was on. Looking at the results it was a hell of a lot closer than I was expecting.

I wish SVG got closer at the end, even though I’m a DJR fan. I noticed Heimgartner doing well all weekend too, he’s been getting there the last few rounds.

Scotty fined $10k for bringing that 'Mustang Wins' poster on the podium. Like, seriously?

67273856_1287089984798600_6676952146862145536_n.jpg

Yeah, I miss the different sounds produced by the E63 and S60. Can’t believe it’s been so long since they last raced.

Yeah, I miss the different sounds produced by the E63 and S60. Can’t believe it’s been so long since they last raced.
You would’ve loved the old Group A/C days then.

More variety than you could poke a stick at.

You would’ve loved the old Group A/C days then.

More variety than you could poke a stick at.
You’re right, I absolutely would have. I’ve been lucky enough to see some of the cars from those days run in various events and demonstrations but I’m sure nothing could compare to a full grid.

Would make sense to use the big layout for an enduro.
It's way tooo big!!! It would be to much of a logistical nightmare. Catering for the crowd, toilet blocks, big screen positioning and many other things would be an issue that they already struggle with now. I don't even think we'd have enough marshalls here to cover the full circuit.

It's way tooo big!!! It would be to much of a logistical nightmare. Catering for the crowd, toilet blocks, big screen positioning and many other things would be an issue that they already struggle with now. I don't even think we'd have enough marshalls here to cover the full circuit.
Is it more spread out than Bathurst?

I think it’s an issue of wearing their resources thin. It’s better to have everything in a more concentrated area, especially when the back end of the circuit doesn’t have the same value as the top of Mt. Panorama.

The major issue is safety & by that I mean having enough flaggies, firey’s & other Marshall’s to cover all the points around the track.
It’s a longer lap distance than Bathurst but it doesn’t have volunteers putting their names down like Bathurst does.

When I was a Flaggie, there was an over-subscription of people from Victoria who wanted to do Bathurst because of what that race is.
The same would apply for the other states too.

Regardless if Mostert goes to WAU or not. I'd like to see LeBrocq at Tickford next year with some quality equipment.

The major issue is safety & by that I mean having enough flaggies, firey’s & other Marshall’s to cover all the points around the track.
It’s a longer lap distance than Bathurst but it doesn’t have volunteers putting their names down like Bathurst does.

When I was a Flaggie, there was an over-subscription of people from Victoria who wanted to do Bathurst because of what that race is.
The same would apply for the other states too.
The part I highlighted is spot on 👍. We have to have interstate marshalls here for the Adelaide 500 because we don't have enough to go round for that event, so there's no chance of having enough for The Bend.
Is it more spread out than Bathurst?
It's not a matter of how spread out it is, it's how many corners (for marshalling points) and how many different viewing areas there are for spectators.

The-Bend-GT18.18a3e3aa880c2eb52c1cc4e8a4aac1a9.png

That's a lot of corners :crazy:.

The part I highlighted is spot on 👍. We have to have interstate marshalls here for the Adelaide 500 because we don't have enough to go round for that event, so there's no chance of having enough for The Bend.
It's not a matter of how spread out it is, it's how many corners (for marshalling points) and how many different viewing areas there are for spectators.

View attachment 841552
That's a lot of corners :crazy:.
With 34 corners, I estimate over 40 flag marshalling posts.

To give you an idea, there would be three points between the start/finish line and Turn 1 & two between the last turn and start/finish.
All points have to have a clear view of the preceding & following points. At the bare minimum, you need two Flaggies per point (one Blue, one Yellow) and that would be a very long day on point. We used to get to the track around 7am & be on until the last race finished - easily 10 hours +.
They liked to have at least three per point when I was current just so you can rotate on & off for nature calls and a rest.

With 34 corners, I estimate over 40 flag marshalling posts.

To give you an idea, there would be three points between the start/finish line and Turn 1 & two between the last turn and start/finish.
All points have to have a clear view of the preceding & following points. At the bare minimum, you need two Flaggies per point (one Blue, one Yellow) and that would be a very long day on point. We used to get to the track around 7am & be on until the last race finished - easily 10 hours +.
They liked to have at least three per point when I was current just so you can rotate on & off for nature calls and a rest.
Yeah, I think there's five on the straight all up (in roughly the spots I've marked), not counting all the extras they need to monitor the grid at the races start. They do have a very good warning light system though.
The-Bend-GT18.18a3e3aa880c2eb52c1cc4e8a4aac1a9.png

Going back through some of my pictures of The Bend three is the minimum I can see at marshalling points, but most have four.

Interesting that Pye is being linked to MSR. Would hate to see Pye leave but I'd be happy to see Hazelwood or another young guy like Will Brown at WAU.

Back