2019 Virgin Australia Supercars ChampionshipTouring Cars 

• Thread starter Spacegoat
  • 2,044 comments
With you on Hazelwood. Think he would fit in nicely there. đź‘Ť

Guess we'll know for sure by the end of the today (or maybe not depending on what happens with the GRM/Boost Mobile thing) but I'm trying to work out how many cars will be on the grid next year. Kelly Racing are down to two. While Tekno, BJR, and now Team 18 are all expanding to two entries. So, 25 next year cars at this point?
Possibly another entry for MSR too.

How disgusting is it that Supercars didn't give him the week or two he asked for to put a business plan together so they could maybe stay? :banghead:

@CLowndes888 That one was to replace Jason Brights REC that's now going to be run out of BJR (Jack Smith I think). They might be getting a second one if split drivers are allowed for Will Brown and TBA.

Last edited:
Matt Stone Racing has picked up a REC from Kelly Racing...

Yeah, that's for their main entry. Basically they've been leasing the Jason Bright owned REC but for whatever reason, Supercars has a rule that a team can't lease the same REC for more than two years. So they've now purchased one of Kelly's REC's outright with Bright subsequently selling his to Jack Smith's father.

This article explains it better. đź‘Ť
@CLowndes888 That one was to replace Jason Brights REC that's now going to be run out of BJR (Jack Smith I think). They might be getting a second one if split drivers are allowed for Will Brown and TBA.

Forgot about the fourth BJR car. Think that puts us back at maybe, 25 cars? I've lost count. :lol:

Last edited:
True. And I did mention it in my previous post. This GRM news has me all mixed up. :dunce: :lol:

Hadn't heard that thing about Will Brown splitting the possible second MSR entry? Would be cool if it happened.
It was mentioned on Bathurst weekend but I don't know how much there is to it unfortunately.... but yeah it would be cool for sure. đź‘Ť

In short, that's wack. Him mentioning the Volvo program, it pushed Scott away when they left. A Championship was surely on for the following year.

I spoke to some friends today about the Newcastle race. One is going, but a few of us aren't. It's a bit ho hum with the way this year has been dealt with, from the fan's side of the fence. If the Enforcer and The Dude didn't get Ryan Story and Roland Dane on that show, most of the fans would still be out of the know, why( & how) those parity changes were made.

GRM have always made sensible decisions regarding their team. No disrespect of any kind in saying this, but glad they are leaving. Shame it had to happen this way. Especially, the point about VASC not granting the extension. They have to do what's best for them. That's where GRM get my respect.

Hope there is light at the end of the tunnel. I'm so close to not watching Supercars any longer.

Yeah, that's for their main entry. Basically they've been leasing the Jason Bright owned REC but for whatever reason, Supercars has a rule that a team can't lease the same REC for more than two years. So they've now purchased one of Kelly's REC's outright with Bright subsequently selling his to Jack Smith's father.

This article explains it better. đź‘Ť
Well that's confusing, isn't it? On another topic though, we should see a few drivers from Super2 making the jump to the main game - get Randle, Fullwood, and one of the Kostekis to make the jump. I don't think Jack Smith is good enough if his finishes are anything to go by. However he'll probably get a set by the looks of things. Who else could make the jump?

Last edited:
Thats not good news :(
GRM is probably the most easily likable team on the grid... One of those teams where if they beat your favorite team you still cant be disappointed because its GRM.
Easily a fan fave in that you have a soft spot for them. As for beating my team, I don't have one now since Lowndes retired from fulltime & that would depend on who is driving the car. James Golding, I like. The other bloke? Not so much anymore.

Add to that a sponsor I hate & I'm really conflicted.
How disgusting is it that Supercars didn't give him the week or two he asked for to put a business plan together so they could maybe stay? :banghead:

FPV, I wouldn't be at all surprised if Supercars' refusal to grant an extension of any kind, was what tipped them over the edge.

While they're not Roger Penske, Garry & Barry Rogers aren't short of a dollar. I think they could've committed to 2020 & chased the sponsor dollars between now and Adelaide. They may not have stitched together the whole season, but witness BJR with Percat's car, MSR with Hazelwood & a few others in recent years that have had different deals for different rounds.

They were willing & ready to scramble but Supercars farted in their faces. We all know who to blame, don't we Peter Adderton :irked:

Truth be known, I think GRM has probably failed to meet the KPIs & this whole upright thing is a smokescreen so Adderton doesn't look like a total 🤬 by shooting Supercars version of Bambi.

As I said, I like Golding so I really hope he lands somewhere decent. I could care less about Stanaway & I think we've probably seen the last of him as a full-time driver in Supercar land.

Easily a fan fave in that you have a soft spot for them. As for beating my team, I don't have one now since Lowndes retired from fulltime & that would depend on who is driving the car. James Golding, I like. The other bloke? Not so much anymore.

Add to that a sponsor I hate & I'm really conflicted.

FPV, I wouldn't be at all surprised if Supercars' refusal to grant an extension of any kind, was what tipped them over the edge.

While they're not Roger Penske, Garry & Barry Rogers aren't short of a dollar. I think they could've committed to 2020 & chased the sponsor dollars between now and Adelaide. They may not have stitched together the whole season, but witness BJR with Percat's car, MSR with Hazelwood & a few others in recent years that have had different deals for different rounds.

They were willing & ready to scramble but Supercars farted in their faces. We all know who to blame, don't we Peter Adderton :irked:

Truth be known, I think GRM has probably failed to meet the KPIs & this whole upright thing is a smokescreen so Adderton doesn't look like a total 🤬 by shooting Supercars version of Bambi.

As I said, I like Golding so I really hope he lands somewhere decent. I could care less about Stanaway & I think we've probably seen the last of him as a full-time driver in Supercar land.
Well said đź‘Ť, and I agree with everything you've written, and I especially share your bad feelings towards Adderton and 'the other bloke'.

Just a bit. :lol:

I'm the same way. Don't see what BJR and others see in him at the moment. Not saying he hasn't got talent but he's got a long way to go before he is ready for the main game.
He didn't show much promise in any of his appearances; a waste of space to be honest. At least Randle showed some strong pace at The Bend. I really hope that he gets a drive.

Just a bit. :lol:

I'm the same way. Don't see what BJR and others see in him at the moment. Not saying he hasn't got talent but he's got a long way to go before he is ready for the main game.
I think you're forgetting that Daddy (a.k.a The owner of SCT Logistics) is rich, has just bought a Supercars REC & wants to see little Jack driving a car in the main game. His competitiveness level is irrelevant.

His competitiveness level is irrelevant.

Sad but true.

Wasn't aware that Jack's father owns SCT Logistics. Figured he must have money behind him but it makes so much more sense now.
At least Randle showed some strong pace at The Bend. I really hope that he gets a drive.

I'd like to see Fullwood get a drive. He was super impressive at Bathurst.

Ye
Sad that Kelly Racing have downsized and GRM are gone completely. But Tekno, Team 18, BJR (and maybe MSR) all expanding is great.
ah, it's good that the small teams are making a resurgence. They really have to cut those costs. Just as in the episode above, No reason for the top tier in Australia to HAVE to cost so much more than S5000 and TA2. Would be marvelous to see big grids again.

Ye

ah, it's good that the small teams are making a resurgence. They really have to cut those costs. Just as in the episode above, No reason for the top tier in Australia to HAVE to cost so much more than S5000 and TA2. Would be marvelous to see big grids again.
Isn't the grid capped to 24 anyway? Something about not all circuits having enough pit bays?

Supercars won't release any more RECs than already exist.

They had two sitting on the shelf plus what was being used this year. That's it. Adding to that only reduces the slice of revenue pie for the existing holders. Ain't gunna happen.

“Supercars stands vehemently behind its drivers and teams on matters such as this.

“There is no place for bullying, trolling or any other form of cowardice in our sport. Any such instances will be dealt with to the full extent of the law.

“This includes, but is not limited to, the blacklisting of sites, networks, applications and individuals who participate in and propagate such behaviour.
Take note, social media...

Back