2019 Virgin Australia Supercars ChampionshipTouring Cars 

• Thread starter Spacegoat
  • 2,044 comments
It looks like that Supercar was used as a ride car at some stage so it may be an earlier model that's been dressed up to look the part.

V8 Sleuth has cracked it. It's one of the last Briggs Motorsport built Falcons (before T8 took them over) that Paul Radisich raced in 03.

Last edited:
Really hope nothing comes of slowing the Mustang. If all things are similar to 2017 at Bathurst, we could see a 2 second Bathurst time.

Nearly 11000kph... seems like a bit of a stretch even for DJR
Not really. He beat Whincup's time by .9 seconds. That(Whincup's 2:04.7) was in 2015. So, the car was that much faster two years later in 2017. If the Mustang stays as is and continues to be developed through Bathurst, it's possible for Scotty to go .9 seconds quicker again.

In that lead up to the Shootout, several cars were under the old record by .7 seconds. Scott and Reynolds were doing 2:04.1xx. That's .6 seconds clear. Then, Scott lays down the 03.8 in the Shootout. To gain .3 seconds overnight, is huge.
Last year, Reynolds did a 2:04.0. Still quick. Scott did go slower doing a 4.5.

Even if Scott(or maybe even Chaz, he's no slouch) goes, 2:02.999, that's a 2 second lap. Like I said, it hinges on whether the Mustang doesn't get broken and the conditions that weekend.

Not really. He beat Whincup's time by .9 seconds. That(Whincup's 2:04.7) was in 2015. So, the car was that much faster two years later in 2017. If the Mustang stays as is and continues to be developed through Bathurst, it's possible for Scotty to go .9 seconds quicker again.

In that lead up to the Shootout, several cars were under the old record by .7 seconds. Scott and Reynolds were doing 2:04.1xx. That's .6 seconds clear. Then, Scott lays down the 03.8 in the Shootout. To gain .3 seconds overnight, is huge.
Last year, Reynolds did a 2:04.0. Still quick. Scott did go slower doing a 4.5.

Even if Scott(or maybe even Chaz, he's no slouch) goes, 2:02.999, that's a 2 second lap. Like I said, it hinges on whether the Mustang doesn't get broken and the conditions that weekend.

I was being facetious by taking your comment extremely literally.

I like it. They qualify the car, afterwards say it wasn't that great and we'll tune it up for tomorrow. Some make it better and some make it worse on race day. This way, you gotta be on it as with the qualifying format.

I can see where it can be sketchy, when one of the front runners are down the back all race. That's part of it though.

I like it. They qualify the car, afterwards say it wasn't that great and we'll tune it up for tomorrow. Some make it better and some make it worse on race day. This way, you gotta be on it as with the qualifying format.

I can see where it can be sketchy, when one of the front runners are down the back all race. That's part of it though.
What I find really odd is that we have two tiers below Supercars that this sort of thing can be trialed in, why trial it the main game :odd:. I also don't think it will make any difference to most teams as only one team consistently fails to qualify as good as they race (WAU), and I think it's a step towards manufactured results while being a step away from seeing exactly how fast these cars can actually go. What next reverse grids and chook lottos :sly:.

On a different note, you've probably all seen this already but I'll leave it here in case you haven't :).

I also don't think it will make any difference to most teams as only one team consistently fails to qualify as good as they race (WAU), and I think it's a step towards manufactured results while being a step away from seeing exactly how fast these cars can actually go.

Yeah, I don't think it's going to mix up the order as much as they think it will. DJRTP, T8, Tickford, Erebus will (more than likely) all still be in the ten. Feels like this is going to punish the other teams that don't qualify as well. (You mentioned WAU. This totally screws them. They rarely have a good qualifying car. :lol: :indiff:)
On a different note, you've probably all seen this already but I'll leave it here in case you haven't :).

Caught that on Twitter yesterday. Absolute gold. :lol:👍!

Yeah, I don't think it's going to mix up the order as much as they think it will. DJRTP, T8, Tickford, Erebus will (more than likely) all still be in the ten. Feels like this is going to punish the other teams that don't qualify as well. (You mentioned WAU. This totally screws them. They rarely have a good qualifying car. :lol: :indiff:)

I think you’re forgetting anyone with half a brain will qualify their race cars.
If anyone races their qualifying car, they’ll drop through the field so fast they’ll think someone has pinched a few cylinders from their V8.

In that case WAU should qualify OK if their current form is anything to go by.

A real car amongst the pigeons would be making them qualify on wet tyres & allowing them to do all the normal stuff post qualifying.
Remember when they went to the USA, had a shortage of rubber & had to practice on wets?

IMO, a really talented driver can take a car that’s far from perfect & still do good things with it so, expect the cream to still be near the top of the timesheets.

What I find really odd is that we have two tiers below Supercars that this sort of thing can be trialed in, why trial it the main game :odd:. I also don't think it will make any difference to most teams as only one team consistently fails to qualify as good as they race (WAU), and I think it's a step towards manufactured results while being a step away from seeing exactly how fast these cars can actually go. What next reverse grids and chook lottos :sly:.

I'd looooove to hear Russell Ingall's view on this trial. :sly:

I bet Craig just shuddered for a moment.

Come to think of it, Percat was the one to say his car was more of a race set up, during qualifying, over the weekend.

I was thinking a long the same lines as @Pete05, that it may help WAU :indiff::lol:.
Yeah, I thought so too 👍:lol:.
I think you’re forgetting anyone with half a brain will qualify their race cars.
If anyone races their qualifying car, they’ll drop through the field so fast they’ll think someone has pinched a few cylinders from their V8.

In that case WAU should qualify OK if their current form is anything to go by.

A real car amongst the pigeons would be making them qualify on wet tyres & allowing them to do all the normal stuff post qualifying.
Remember when they went to the USA, had a shortage of rubber & had to practice on wets?

IMO, a really talented driver can take a car that’s far from perfect & still do good things with it so, expect the cream to still be near the top of the timesheets.
👍 My thoughts as well (except the wet tyres bit :lol:). The top guys will still be the top guys, but on a race set-up, so we'll never get to see what times they're truly capable of in full blown qualifying trim. Bit of a shame really, I just hope it doesn't catch on. Nothing better than watching Scotty, Chaz, SVG, Jamie and co. on the ragged edge :crazy:.

I was thinking a long the same lines as @Pete05, that it may help WAU :indiff::lol:.
Yeah, I thought so too 👍:lol:.
👍 My thoughts as well (except the wet tyres bit :lol:). The top guys will still be the top guys, but on a race set-up, so we'll never get to see what times they're truly capable of in full blown qualifying trim. Bit of a shame really, I just hope it doesn't catch on. Nothing better than watching Scotty, Chaz, SVG, Jamie and co. on the ragged edge :crazy:.
In addition to my earlier post, this trial means as soon as the cars are out of the transporters, everyone will be working on a dedicated race setup.
I’m sure that’s only been the case for a few in the past knowing they won’t qualify well so let’s work on the race setup.

That’s exactly how Niki Lauda won the 1984 WDC by half a point.

👍 My thoughts as well (except the wet tyres bit :lol:). The top guys will still be the top guys, but on a race set-up, so we'll never get to see what times they're truly capable of in full blown qualifying trim.

Fair points. Wasn't thinking about it that way. Suppose it'll make the practice sessions actually mean something, which should make things more interesting at the start of the weekend.

Over a decade of disappointment. Come join the party!

Simpons one of us..gif

:guilty: :lol:

Now, let's see the results or is that privileged information?
Privileged for sure. They did CoG testing last year before they approved the composite panels for the Nissan and Ford without ever revealing the results. For the sake of transparency I'd love to see both this years and last years (pre and post composite panels) results so we could make an informed opinion... but realistically we know it won't happen.

I made a comment asking what if VASC start issuing success ballast.

It's really messed up, the whole Ford crew did they're best to stretch that shape to the rules, did all that work and their reward is, it's not fair.

AA was on the money with the CoG testing so if they continue in this vain it looks like we're in for some great news, I'll believe it when it's official though.

https://autoaction.com.au/2019/03/21/supercars-drops-time-certain-finishes

''The only reasons they’ll be cut short is if there are track safety concerns due to crashes or weather, or failing light.

Race start times will also be brought forward if there is a known risk of interruptions, delays or hazards, such as a forecast of adverse weather conditions.''

The rule change to end the unpopular time-certain finishes was authorised by Supercars chief executive Sean Seamer at last weekend’s Australian Grand Prix.

Last edited:
I've always hated the Castrol green on the front of CM's car so today ,while a bit bored, I thought I'd bust out my best grade 3 colouring in skills and try a quick fix. I personally think it looks far better, apart from my colouring in :embarrassed:. The Castrol signage is still very prominent but it fits in far better. An alternative would be to use a green border around the logo but I'm just not that skilled. What do you all think?

b881808694z1_201902141709x380.jpg

The original for comparison.
b881808694z1_20190214170952_000g571e0seh2-0-8gjccxn62axc2z1xsr2_ct677x380.jpg

I've always hated the Castrol green on the front of CM's car so today ,while a bit bored, I thought I'd bust out my best grade 3 colouring in skills and try a quick fix. I personally think it looks far better, apart from my colouring in :embarrassed:. The Castrol signage is still very prominent but it fits in far better. An alternative would be to use a green border around the logo but I'm just not that skilled. What do you all think?

View attachment 808369

The original for comparison.
View attachment 808370
Either is fine, It's the graphics underneath the Bendix decal, that throws everything for a loop. Plus, the "Nelly" band-aids below the headlights.

A lot of people don’t like Mostert’s car this year, but for me it’s one of the best Mustangs. There’s so much going on at the front that it hides how sloped down and small the front end is. And it’s nice to see a SCA without the tacky yellow that they usually have.

Back