2020/21 Premier League & General Football Discussion

• Thread starter Liquid
  • 948 comments

Your Opinion: Messi or Ronaldo?

• Messi

• Ronaldo

Results are only viewable after voting.
So the topic of a European Super League has reared its head again...

There is a Friday night PL game so I will post the games now. Unfortunately the game on Friday isn't on the right channel...

Friday night.
Aston Villa v Leeds (8pm BT BO)

Saturday.
West Ham v Man City (12.30 BT)
Fulham v Crystal Palace (3pm BT BO)
Man United v Chelsea (5.30 Sky)
Liverpool v Sheffield United (8pm Sky BO)

Sunday.
Southampton v Everton (2pm Sky)
Wolves v Newcastle (4.30 Sky)
Arsenal v Leicester (7.15 Sky BO)

Monday night.
Brighton v West Brom (5.30 Sky BO)
Burnley v Tottenham (8pm Sky)

Five Box Office games, same as last weekend.

What an exceptional human being Marcus Rashford is, his Twitter timeline over the last day or so is full of councils and business willing to help vunerable families and children over the school holidays. 👍 This is after our government shamefully voted against extending the free school meals scheme into the holidays.

Aston Villa 0-3 Leeds
West Ham 1-1 Man City
Fulham 1-2 Crystal Palace
Barcelona 1-3 Real Madrid

Patrick Bamford got a second half hat-trick for Leeds in last night's game, his second and third goals were great.

Michail Antonio continued his good form by scoring a great overhead goal for West Ham, Foden got City's equaliser in the second half, Aguero went off injured at half time and faces another spell on the sidelines.

Palace went 0-2 up through Riedeweld and Zaha, Fulham had Kamara sent off but managed to get a late consolation from Tom Cairney.

Real won the Clasico against Barcelona, Ansu Fati gave Barca the lead and became the youngest player to score in a Clasico but was as good as it got for Barca, Valverde, a Ramos penalty and Modric gave Real the win.

Man United v Chelsea and Liverpool v Sheffield United to come tonight.

COME ON UNITED!

0-13 at the Ajax game what the ****

i2hCX3D.png

Last edited:
I know its incredible right!

Traore with five goals and three assists!

I didn't favour Villa or Leeds last night, but when Bamford twisted his ankle slightly landing on Mings foot, I didn't like the way Mings then dragged Bamford off the ground by the shirt when he was obviously in pain. That Bamford then went on to get the hat trick must have made it that little bit sweeter. ;)

I wasn't concentrating to much on the game but if Mings didn't get his yellow card for that incident, he should have. :irked:

Man United 0-0 Chelsea
Liverpool 2-1 Sheffield United
Southampton 2-0 Everton (current score)

Unitec had the better of the chances at a rain-lashed Old Trafford last night with Mendy in the Chelsea goal making some good saves, Chelsea had a few half chances but De Gea didn't have much to do, Cavani almost scored with his first touch for United and Maguire man-handled Azpilicueta in the box but wasn't given as a pen, game needed a goal which didn't come.

Sander Berge gave Sheffield United the lead from the penalty spot after a very contentious call, Fabinho was adjudged to have fouled McBurnie but it was just outside the box and it probably wasn't a foul anyway, Firmino eqaulised for Liverpool and Jota got the winner in the second half, better performance by United and Wilder can be encouraged by it.

Saints currently lead Everton 2-0 perhaps surprisingly against the table toppers, Ward Prowse and Che Adams with the first half goals, about 65 minutes played.

Liverpool fans have raised over £100,000 for local food-banks instead of paying the £14.95 for their game last night, brilliant work. 👍

Wolves 1-1 Newcastle
Arsenal 0-1 Leicester

Both goals came in the second half of the Wolves game with Jimenez giving them the lead with a great finish, Jacob Murphy got the equaliser with a well worked free kick.

Vardy predictably came off the bench to get the only goal 10 minutes from time, didn't see the game as it was a PPV but from what i heard Arsenal had the best of it in the first half but couldn't put their chances away.

So tomorrow there is a Premier League shareholders meeting, and one of the topics being discussed is the controversial PPV games that have recently been introduced.

Of course no one really knows what the out come of this will be. they could continue with it, they could continue with it but lower the price, they could scrap it immediately or maybe they could wait until the next international break next month to scrap it.

Weirdly Mike Ashley has made a statement on this before the meeting tomorrow, and he suggest that the price should be lowered to £4.95, a £10 reduction.

So for the second week running there is a Friday night game....and for the second week running its not on the right channel.

Friday night.
Wolves v Crystal Palace (8pm BT BO)

Saturday.
Sheffield United v Man City (12pm BT)
Burnley v Chelsea (3pm BT BO)
Liverpool v West Ham (5.30 Sky)

Sunday.
Aston Villa v Southampton (12pm Sky BO)
Newcastle v Everton (2pm Sky)
Man United v Arsenal (4.30 Sky)
Tottenham v Brighton (7.15 Sky BO)

Monday night.
Fulham v West Brom (5.30 Sky BO)
Leeds v Leicester (8pm Sky)

The PPV games will continue for now, it was discussed at the meeting on Tuesday but there was no vote so no decision was taken, but they will review it during the international break next month, the ratings for the PPV games so far have reportedly been 'disasterously low'.

Wolves 2-0 Crystal Palace
Sheffield United 0-1 Man City
Burnley 0-3 Chelsea

Ait Nouri and Daniel Podence got the Wolves goals for their win in the first half, Palace had Milivojevic sent off late on in last nights game. Kyle Walker got the only goal in his 100th City appearance against his former team. Ziyech, Zouma and Timo Werner go the goals in a convincing Chelsea win, looks like the new Chelsea signings are finding their feet.

Liverpool v West Ham to come and young Nathan Philips starts in defence for Liverpool.

Also RIP Nobby Stiles.

Aston Villa 3-4 Southampton
Newcastle 2-1 Everton
Man United 0-1 Arsenal

Crazy game between Villa and Saints, Saints were 4-0 up inside an hour thanks to Vestergaard plus two free kicks from Ward-Prowse and the other from Danny Ings, Tyrone Mings pulled one back for Villa before Oliie Watkins and Jack Grealish got two very late goals.

Everton's poor recent form continues, after a boring first half Callum Wilson put Newcastle ahead via the penalty spot and both Ryan Fraser and Wilson linked up once again for the second. Calvert Lewin got a late consolation.

Arsenal put in a superb performance against United, goal came from a clumsy challenge from Pogba to give away a penalty which Aubameyang converted in the second half, Arsenal were the better team and united were sloppy and gave the ball away a lot, another home defeat and still in 15th place, really disappointing.

Spurs v Brighton to come on box office.

Anyone else surprised to see Pickford benched? I know Everton had a rough few games, but for Ancelotti to "rest" him (and for Robin Olsson no less) is head scratching.

Zlatan "Benjamin Button" Ibrahimovic has 7 goals and an assist in 4 Serie A games this season. Since returning to Milan in January, he has 16 goals and 6 assists in 22 appearances for the team. There is already talk of extending his contract for another season (which I think is premature) and the possibility of a position off the pitch.

Fulham 2-0 West Brom
Leeds 1-4 Leicester

Fulham get their first win in the league this season thanks to first half goals from Bobby Reid and Ola Aina, they climb out of the bottom three with that win.

Good game between Leeds and Leicester, Leicester went 2-0 up at half time courtesy of Barnes and Tielemans, Leeds came right out of the blocks in the second half and got one back thanks to Stuart Dallas after just three second half minutes but Leicester were clinical on the counter and Vardy and a late Tielemans penalty put the game to bed, Leicester now up to second.

Ryan Giggs was arrested on suspicion of assault on Sunday night after an incident involving his girlfriend. He was released on bail pending further investigation and he denies the claims.

Today the FAW have said that both them and Giggs have mutually agreed that he wont be involved for Wales's three games during the next international break starting next week, assistant manager Rob Page will take charge of Wales against USA, Ireland and Finland.

The saga over the Sheffield Wednesday ground sale is still going. Wednesday appealed the 12-point deduction (the penalty for entering administration, which we didn't do), and a League Arbitration Panel has now decided that our points deduction should be halved to six.

I... don't really know why, because we have been found not guilty of deliberate misconduct, and conducted the sale as the EFL told us we could. There isn't a rational scenario here for a points penalty - we would have broken FFP rules with a three season loss of more than £39m without the sale of Hillsborough, but the EFL okayed both the sale and the date of the sale being included in that season's financial reports.

Six points is better than 12, but the EFL has seriously screwed something up.

Games for this weekend.

Friday night.
Brighton v Burnley (5.30 Sky BO)
Southampton v Newcastle (8pm Sky)

Saturday
Everton v Man United (12.30 BT)
Crystal Palace v Leeds (3pm BT BO)
Chelsea v Sheffield United (5.30 Sky)
West Ham v Fulham (8pm Sky BO)

Sunday.
West Brom v Tottenham (12pm BT BO)
Leicester v Wolves (2pm Sky)
Man City v Liverpool (4.30 Sky)
Arsenal v Aston Villa (7.15 Sky BO)

So the PPV games will be scrapped after this week, Premier League announced it earlier and they wont return for at least the rest of 2020, the news has of course been welcomed.

International break after this weekend.

Brighton 0-0 Burnley
Southampton 2-0 Newcastle

Didn't see the earlier game but heard it was quite dull...and it was a Box Office game!

Che Adams and Stuart Armstrong with the goals either side of half time to give Southampton the win, and they are now top of the table!

Remember last October when Leicester smashed Southampton 0-9?
That same team with the same manager is now top of the table 1 year later. Perhaps panic-firing managers after a bad result isn't such a good idea after all. :rolleyes:

That same team with the same manager is now top of the table 1 year later. Perhaps panic-firing managers after a bad result isn't such a good idea after all. :rolleyes:
A change in system helped after that. Hasenhuttl himself said that type of result was needed to change everything up after being disappointing for a few months.

Start to the season wasn't the greatest but recovered the form the team had after the three-month break. It's nice to see Saints top of the table.

Last edited:
Everton 1-3 Man United.
Crystal Palace 4-1 Leeds.
Chelsea 4-1 Sheffield United.

Everton took the lead thanks to Bernard in the 19th minute but then the Bruno Fernandes show started! Firstly Luke Shaw crossed in from the left and was poked home by Fernandes to make it 1-1, then he swung in a free kick which it looked like Rashford just got the last touch but went down as a Fernandes goal to make it 2-1 at the break, it was all Everton for much of the second half as they searched for the equaliser but they weren't clinical and De Gea had no saves to make, Everton missed Richarlison badly. the third came from a counter attack which Fernandes layed off to Cavani to get his first for united in the 92nd minute, Good win for us, was badly needed and Bruno was brilliant but there were no bad performances really, Ole gets a reprieve, as for Everton that three league losses in a row now after their great start.

The Palace Leeds game was a bit crazy. Scott Dann took the lead for Palace and then we had another of those stupid VAR offside calls but this time it was one of the worst yet, Patrick Bamford's goal was ruled out when his left arm was up to point to where he wanted the ball during the attack. But even with that arm up it was still a very tight call, Eze got the Palace second from a great direct free kick before Bamford made it 2-1 and a Helder Costa own goal made it 3-1 at the break and then Ayew made it four in the second half.

McGoldrick took then lead for Sheffield United and then Chelsea goals from Abraham, Chilwell, a first Chelsea goal for Thiago Silva and Timo Werner finished it off.

Sheffield United bottom of the table....Southampton still top!

West Ham v Fulham to come tonight.

Dejphon Chansiri says he takes responsibility for the points deduction, but he won't sack Monk because it's as much on the players and fans won't say who should replace him.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/54827522

A few points here, Chansiri.
* The manager selects the players who play
* The manager decides the tactics
* The manager motivates the players
* The manager buys the players
* Nigel Pearson, you imbecile

If the guy who buys the players, picks the players, trains the players in his tactics, and motivates the players can't get the players to play (or can, but his tactics are crap), it's on him. Sack him. Pearson is a free agent.

Also, I literally predicted everything that's happened since July in July. Of course we aren't relegated yet, but we're second bottom after gaining six points back from the appeal, and without any penalty we'd be 21st in the table. Because Monk is inept.

I only had the video on with no audio for the Everton v Man Utd game, but it looked a very bad tempered game with a lot of ott tackles. :eek:

Chel$ki looked quite good against Sheffield Utd. Their defence had another good game. It was against the bottom team though for some perspective. ;) Ziyech looks quality, and the forwards in from of him are playing well.

I fear for Sheffield, who I like, but they have no spark in them atm. Everyone keeps on saying they are too good to go down, and I hope they are right. I hoped Brewster would have hit the ground running, but it's not clicking for him yet. Obviously the lack of service has something to do with that.

I fear for Sheffield, who I like, but they have no spark in them atm. Everyone keeps on saying they are too good to go down, and I hope they are right. I hoped Brewster would have hit the ground running, but it's not clicking for him yet. Obviously the lack of service has something to do with that.
Liverpool's form has plummeted. It looks like they're really missing Richarlison.

Seeing as we're calling clubs by their town. Perhaps if you spent less time looking out the $ for Chelsea you'd get Sheffield Utd right.

Last edited:
Chel$ki

I fear for Sheffield, who I like
Instead of putting so much effort into your comical nicknames for clubs, could you put some into getting teams' names right?

Sheffield United are the team in the Premier League, Sheffield Wednesday are the team in the Championship, and one of the very few things we agree on is that we're not Sheffield; Sheffield is the world's oldest football club and plays in the Northern Premier League Division One South East.

Last edited:

Latest Posts

Back