2020/21 Premier League & General Football Discussion

• Thread starter Liquid
  • 948 comments

Your Opinion: Messi or Ronaldo?

• Messi

• Ronaldo

Results are only viewable after voting.
Instead of putting so much effort into your comical nicknames for clubs, could you put some into getting teams' names right?

Sheffield United are the team in the Premier League, Sheffield Wednesday are the team in the Championship, and one of the very few things we agree on is that we're not Sheffield; Sheffield is the world's oldest football club and plays in the Northern Premier League Division One South East.

If I had used just Sheffield throughout the post to refer to Sheffield Utd, I could maybe understand why at least two people, maybe more, who have not posted, could be unhappy with that. I think in the context of my post though, and that I had already used the full name for Sheffield Utd in the post, I subconsciously omitted 'Utd' when adding my affection for the team. Sorry for anyone that has been offended by that.

Liverpool's form has plummeted. It looks like they're really missing Richarlison.

Seeing as we're calling clubs by their town. Perhaps if you spent less time looking out the $ for Chelsea you'd get Sheffield Utd right.

Whilst I understand the intent behind the your post, I don't think the analogy quite works.

I'm sorry that you have been upset by my omission of 'Utd' when referring to Sheffield Utd. As mentioned above, it was a subconscious thing referring back to the team I had already mentioned fully in the post, and thought it would be clear what I was talking about. I was obviously wrong for two people to pull me up on it. I will endeavour not make the same mistake in the future.

Again, sorry to anyone who was upset, or took offence to my not adding 'Utd' to Sheffield whilst talking about Sheffield Utd.

I feel asleep around the 29' mark of the West Ham v. Fulham and woke up at 70' it was still 0-0. I thought it was going to finish 0-0 until West Ham scored in the first minute of the 4 minutes of stoppage time. Ok it's probably going to be a 1-0 win for West Ham. Not just yet.

In the last few seconds of added time Fulham gets a questionable penalty. So Ademola Lookman steps up to take the penalty. But instead of blasting it, he tries to chip it over the goalie but he barely hits it. Fabianski easily catches it and West Ham wins 1-0. If Fulham get relegated this season by one point......

You try a Panenka when you're 3-0 up, not when it's the last kick of the game and you could get a valuable point in a team that looks highly unlikely to score any. Kick it hard and on target so that it has to be a great save by the Goalkeeper that stops the goal, not your cockiness that can easily backfire, as it did for Lookman.

There is a time and place for showboating, but that clearly wasn't it.

A pleasing result for United, although the perfomance was good, Everton were equally poor. A very important 3 points though and hopefully we can kick on from here.

The worry is we've said those words about kicking on from here so many times recently.

Ole appears to be setting up an us v the world siege mentality in the his post match comments. He was clearly unhappy with Shaw's injury and feels the lack of rest between games contributed to that. But this is not a problem unique to United and clubs regularly play in the Europa League on the Thursday and then a Sunday.

But his comments over the last couple of weeks have all been building towards this, hoepfully it was a clever attempt to create a siege mentality at the club and not his "facts" moment. But it will certianly distract headlines away from Pochettino taking the helm for a few days at least.

That Lookman penalty was dire, I'd drop a player for doing that at 1-0 down.

Last edited:
A pleasing result for United, although the perfomance was good, Everton were equally poor. A very important 3 points though and hopefully we can kick on from here.
Which United! Oh it's OK, from the context of what you wrote, I could work it out. ;) :lol:

The worry is we've said those words about kicking on from here so many times recently.

Ole appears to be setting up an us v the world siege mentality in the his post match comments. He was clearly unhappy with Shaw's injury and feels the lack of rest between games contributed to that. But this is not a problem unique to United and clubs regularly play in the Europa League on the Thursday and then a Sunday.

But his comments over the last couple of weeks have all been building towards this, hoepfully it was a clever attempt to create a siege mentality at the club and not his "facts" moment. But it will certianly distract headlines away from Pochettino taking the helm for a few days at least.

That Lookman penalty was dire, I'd drop a player for doing that at 1-0 down.
I didn't see all of Solskjaer's post match interviews, but I agree with his comments on not making concessions for teams playing in Europe. Other countries sometimes cancel games to aid their teams playing too many games in a short period of time. It used to be said because it was hard to move games, but with what has gone on over the last 6 months, with no fans to take into account, moving games seems not to be a problem for other reasons, mainly TV. With league games so close together, spreading any post European games to aid with recovery seems a no brainer, but something like this shows there are no brains in charge of organising the Premier League. :banghead: :rolleyes: I like the fact that he brought it up after winning, as if he did it after losing, some would be saying it would be an excuse.

I agree, the Lookman penalty was terrible. :eek: One of the worst I have seen, and at a very crucial time. It certainly livened up the end of that game. ;) I think former Arsenal player Alan Smith was commenting on the coverage I watched, and he said he wouldn't have been consoling Lookman as the Fulham players were, and would have been a lot more vocal and angry interaction if he were in the team. ;) :lol:

Edit: My mistake, it was Tony Gale who was co-commentating. Apt as he has played for both Fulham and West Ham. :)

Last edited:
Which United! Oh ot's OK, from the context of what you wrote, I could work it out. ;)

It's also an actual nickname for that club:
upload_2020-11-8_14-23-21.png
Compare with "Manchester", which - as with "Sheffield" - is not.

Last edited:
:eek: How do you get 21 minutes of injury time? And 5 goals in extra time!

EmUAnFwXIAI_5F_.jpg

West Brom 0-1 Tottenham
Leicester 1-0 Wolves
Man City 1-1 Liverpool

Harry Kane with a late winner for Spurs and his 150th PL goal, who moved top of the table...for 33 minutes!

Jamie Vardy converted a penalty and had a second one saved by Patricio, Wolves were a bit disappointing. Leicester now top the table.

Mane was brought down by Walker for a Liverpool penalty which Mo Salah put away, Gabriel Jesus got away from Trent to equalise and City had a penalty after a Gomez handball but De Bruyne surprisingly fired wide to end a great first half, second half was played with a more slower tempo and the game finished 1-1.

Arsenal v Aston Villa to come....in the last PPV game!

Everyone was singing their praises last week. ;) :lol:
I guess I’m thinking overall. They are far from where they used to be about a decade ago. Can’t even get a champions league spot anymore these days, not even talking about a title.

I guess I’m thinking overall. They are far from where they used to be about a decade ago. Can’t even get a champions league spot anymore these days, not even talking about a title.
The fans didn't like 'just' getting into the Champion's League every year with Wenger. Getting rid of him has sorted that. ;) :lol:

Arsenal are similar to Man United in that you never know which Arsenal are going to turn up, much like you don't know which United will turn up.

FA Cup first round was this weekend and there a few non league teams upsetting established league teams, Boreham Wood beating Southend, Marine beating Colchester on penalties, Kings Lynn beating Port Vale and Chorley beating Wigan. Havent and Waterlooville and Canvey Island are also through after beating non league oppostition, Second round draw is tonight ahead of Oxford City v Northampton.

At least two games too late (if not three months), but GET IN THERE!

Greg Clarke has resigned from his post as FA Chairman after making offensive remarks about Black, Female and Gay Footballers during a parlimentry inquiry. He used the term 'coloured people' to describe BAME players and said being Gay is a 'life choice'.

He resigned five hours later after criticism saying that he had considered stepping down anyway. During this whole thing England were giving a press conference ahead of their three games and Tyrone Mings was asked about this and he said we need to be careful about the terminology we use, he answered all question on Clarke calmly and eloquently.

Hasn't been a good day for the FA today...again!

These stupid internationals are taking a toll in the Liverpool squad. Lost Joe Gomez to long term injury, and now Mohamed Salah has got Covid-19 whilst away with Egypt. :eek: :rolleyes: :banghead:

Whilst there are major travel restrictions around the world, bringing players from multiple countries around the world together, and then also sometimes make them travel from one country to another is madness, and asking more Covid infections than there would normally be within the club 'bubbles' teams have set up. It could be said there shouldn't be Champions League and Europa League games, and I couldn't really argue with than.

Doing all this with the risks, and then also taking the time to add 'friendly' games around the competitive games, at a time when teams are playing a lot of games over a compressed period of time, is verging on criminal. There will be a lot more injuries over this season, and the hope will be that they are not serious injuries, or god forbid, career ending. Liverpool have lost two players to long term injuries, the first had nothing to do with the number and frequency of games, the Gomez may have had something to do with it. Salah may have got Covid in Liverpool, the numbers are certainly high in Liverpool, and there is another lockdown in effect, but Salah has been with Egypt for about 4-5 days. You would hope they are testing the players every day. I had a test on Tuesday, and got the results back in 30 mins.

I agree with that international matches during a pandemic is abhorrent but its not to blame for Gomez's injury, he suffered that in training and no-one was around him when it happened, could have easily happened if he was at Liverpool training.

Unless you read it you sometimes can,t believe it.

LINK
Some funny but unfortunate injuries.

Last edited:
I agree with that international matches during a pandemic is abhorrent but its not to blame for Gomez's injury, he suffered that in training and no-one was around him when it happened, could have easily happened if he was at Liverpool training.
Whether Gomez would have got injured if not on international duty is debatable. Training for England will not be the same as for Liverpool, and that could have been the difference, who knows. :confused:

Wrexham Supporters Trust has officially voted in favour of selling the club, Wrexham AFC, to Rob McElhenney and Ryan Reynolds.

Unreal.
If that goes through, there could be a lot of funny vids popping up like he does for his other business's. :) He recently sold his Gin business for potentially $610m. :eek: Even if his cut is a fraction of that, I think Wrexham fans can be confident the money is there to take the club forward. :)

So this international break finishes after tomorrow night with the last of the Nations League group games, when normal Football returns its going to be chaotic, a lot of players have picked up injuries and withdrawn from their squads, there were 16 positive Covid tests announced yesterday by the Premier League which is the highest yet.

Plus to add to this for the next few months at least the schedule for most teams will be really bad, from Friday onwards there will be at least one TV game for 17 consecutive days, this includes games from the Premier League, Championship, Champions League and Europa League, it starts with Coventry v Birmingham in the Championship.

Brace yourselves!

So this international break finishes after tomorrow night with the last of the Nations League group games, when normal Football returns its going to be chaotic, a lot of players have picked up injuries and withdrawn from their squads, there were 16 positive Covid tests announced yesterday by the Premier League which is the highest yet.

Plus to add to this for the next few months at least the schedule for most teams will be really bad, from Friday onwards there will be at least one TV game for 17 consecutive days, this includes games from the Premier League, Championship, Champions League and Europa League, it starts with Coventry v Birmingham in the Championship.

Brace yourselves!
It will be interesting to see, but in a bad way, what the injury numbers will be at the end of the season, compared to a normal season. :confused:

What would also be interesting, would be for the Euro 2020 Championships (in 2021:rolleyes:) to be adversely affected significantly by injuries to a lot of players in the summer after such a hard season. Euro '2020' shouldn't be going ahead after a season which will be forcing players to play in so many games over such a short amount of time. The top players, should they be fit, will not get a rest over next summer, potential Covid total lockdowns notwithstanding. Madness!

Players will always want to play games, but at some point they have to get together and say 'no' if they are of a mind to, otherwise some players could end up with shortened playing careers. They are the only ones who could have any affect on the number of games they are being forced to play, the frequency and over what period of time, because UEFA/FIFA, media companies, and to a lesser extent fans, want as much football as possible. :guilty:

I think Ifor Williams Trailers just got the best return of investment of any shirt sponsor in history and it took just one minute.

Back