2020/21 Premier League & General Football Discussion

• Thread starter Liquid
  • 948 comments

Your Opinion: Messi or Ronaldo?

• Messi

• Ronaldo

Results are only viewable after voting.
EFL have voted in favour of using five subs in game, it will start with Friday's game and of course it includes Championship, League One and League Two clubs.

Premier League really need five subs back to ease the strain of the fixture pile up....as soon as possible!

Here are this weekend's games.

Saturday.
Newcastle v Chelsea (12.30 BT)
Aston Villa v Brighton (3pm BT)
Tottenham v Man City (5.30 Sky)
Man United v West Brom (8pm BT)

Sunday.
Fulham v Everton (12pm BBC)
Sheffield United v West Ham (2pm Sky)
Leeds v Arsenal (4.30 Sky)
Liverpool v Leicester (7.15 Sky)

Monday.
Burnley v Crystal Palace (5.30 Sky)
Wolves v Southampton (8pm Sky)

Some really good games this weekend, also no more pay-per-view games until the new year at least....and no more international breaks for 128 days!

Newcastle 0-2 Chelsea.
Aston Villa 1-2 Brighton
Tottenham 2-0 Man City
Man United 1-0 West Brom
-------------------------------
Fulham 2-3 Everton
Sheffield United 0-1 West Ham
Leeds 0-0 Arsenal
Liverpool 0-0 Leicester (latest score)

Calvert Lewin scored after just 42 seconds for Everton and got another, it was 1-3 at half time but a better second half from Fulham. Cavaliero had a bad penalty missed when he slipped and ball went over the bar.
Haller got West Ham's goal in the second half, quite an even game.
Nicolas Pepe was a stupid boy for getting sent off for a head butt on Alioski, they tussled a bit before then and Pepe headbutted him off the ball behind the ref's back. ref needed to go the monitor but only needed two looks before sending him off on just 51 minutes meaning Arsenal played majority of second half with 10 men. quite an even first half, Leeds pressed more after the red card and had some great chances but it finished 0-0.
Liverpool v Leicester just kicked off.

Yesterday Chelsea went top briefly after their win until Spurs beat Man City with a Jose Classic, two shots on target and two goals, City dominated other wise but never really looked like scoring, United's win was meh with Fernandes scoring from a retaken penalty and we were average. Both Brighton's goals were great from Welbeck and March.

I'm surprised Calvert-Lewin is still scoring the goals. :eek: Ancelloti telling you you can do it, and obviously benefiting from his coaching would help you would hope. ;) It seems to have clicked for the lad. He seems a nice lad, so good luck to him. :)

I agree with Pepe, stupid. :banghead: After the money spent on him, he hasn't lived up to the fee yet, and this won't help. Aubameyang lloks a shadow of his former self since he signed his contract.

The media flip flopping seemingly from week to week atm about teams. Arteta doing a great job at Arsenal, until suddenly they are not, and now has a worse record than he predecessor. :rolleyes: Suddenly Moaninho is doing a great job because they are top of the league! I know they always do things like this, but with the games coming thick and fast, it appears more obvious to than usual. :rolleyes:

I thought Liverpool were great tonight. :) I was a bit worried going into the game with the large injury list, and Leicester being in pretty good form, especially away, but Liverpool hardly gave them any chances. I have never seen Liverpool handle Vardy so well, as he normally scores against Liverpool. Which was a negative for my Fantasy Football team, as I have only just got him in, but I'd rather have it this way. ;) :lol: Diogo Jota, the signing from nowhere, continues to impress. 7 goals in 6 games. :eek:

That game also had the closest goal line tech measurement I have ever seen, even closer than estimated 12mm for Liverpool against Man Cit€h a few years ago, to deny Firmino a goal. Thankfully he scored later in the game. The way this season is up and down for everyone, it wouldn't surprise me after beating a title contender, Liverpool then slip up against Brighton, who with all due respect, are not title contenders. :lol:

Hopefully both Monday games are good, but mainly the Wolves v Southampton game. If they are both on good form, it could be a very good game. Burnley are not playing well atm though, but I hope they can get a result, as I like Dyche.

Burnley 1-0 Crystal Palace
Wolves 1-1 Southampton.

Chris Wood's eighth minute goal was enough for Burnley to secure their first league win of the season and it takes them out of the bottom three. Wilfried Zaha tested positive before the game and is self isolating. Theo Walcott scored his first league goal for Southampton in 15 years with Pedro Neto equalising just five minutes after being subbed on.

This isn't the big news of the day though, as fans are being allowed back in to stadiums....sort of!

So the government have announced their plans once England's lockdown finishes on 2nd December and they will return to the three tier system they used previously (with a few more restrictions), but it was announced that fans will be able to return to Sports stadiums and how many fans will be determined by which tier the region/county is in, if its the more severe tier three then games will still be played behind closed doors, tier two reigons/counties will be permitted to have 2,000 fans in attendance and the lower tier-tier one-will be able to have 4,000 fans in attendance.

So to recap as many as 4,000 fans will be able to attend games in certain areas from 2nd December....which isn't much but its a start.

I thought Liverpool were great tonight. :) I was a bit worried going into the game with the large injury list, and Leicester being in pretty good form, especially away, but Liverpool hardly gave them any chances. I have never seen Liverpool handle Vardy so well, as he normally scores against Liverpool. Which was a negative for my Fantasy Football team, as I have only just got him in, but I'd rather have it this way. ;) :lol: Diogo Jota, the signing from nowhere, continues to impress. 7 goals in 6 games. :eek:.

Liverpool are really impressive right now, I was talking about Liverpool during the summer and saying that they won't have a season as injury free as they did last year again, not two years on the bounce. And that's been the case but you're still winning (so far at least).

Under Klopp they have really turned that corner they struggled with for a couple of decades. The whole coaching team deserve praise, I don't see much of Liverpool beyond thier first team, but from what I have seen thier reserve and youth teams all play just like the first team. Obviousely the quality of those players and the teams they are up against aren't the same as the first team, but the style of play and the way they press is. So when you need a reserve or youth player to slot in, they can do and they will fit right into the formation and sytle of play seamlessly.

You might still feel the strain of some of your injuries, with so many games coming thick and fast, I think most clubs will have more injuries yet especially the clubs playing in Europe. One, if not both, of the cups should have been scrapped this season, there's very little chance for some teams to get any respite.

I'm really hoping we can start to find some consistency going forward, but that requires not changing the formation and tactics every match. Jose was the master of picking the right tactics on a match by match basis, but even he got it wrong at United. We have good players, man for man we're a good team, but we're lacking that consistency and the constant changes aren't helping in my opinion.

Nor is the reliance on struggling players when we have players who have performed well when given the chance. Some players have one bad game and are out the team while others play badly more often and thier places seem pretty safe.

Tuanzebe for example, excelled against PSG, then didn't feature again for ages, then played badly and back out the team. Give him a run. Van De Beek hasn't played badly yet, but still can't get in the team. We have to trust Ole and I hope he get's it right, but I would be using him a lot more.

Last edited:
One of the greatest of all time, whatever you though of him personally he never failed to bring a smile to peoples faces.

a true legend and pioneer. RIP Diego.

He has actually passed away on the 15th anniversary of George Best's passing.

Last edited:
Never thought Pele would outlive Maradona. :eek: Only 20 years between their ages, but it seemed like more.

A football genius, :bowdown: but a troubled man to say the least. RIP.

Government have announced England's regional tiers for when the current lockdown finishes on the 2nd. Some PL clubs will have some fans back but sadly no clubs currently fall into the lower tier one meaning no 4,000 fans yet.

10 clubs are in the tier two bracket, meaning they will have up to 2,000 fans in their grounds.

Arsenal will have up to 2,000 fans for their EL game against Rapid Vienna next week and home league games against Burnley and Southampton.
Brighton will have fans in for the game against Southampton on the 7th.
Chelsea will have fans for their upcoming games against Leeds and Krasnodar.
Crystal Palace-for the game v Tottenham.
Everton-for the game v Chelsea.
Fulham-for the games v Liverpool and Brighton.
Liverpool-for their games v Wolves and Tottenham.
Southampton-for the game v Sheffield United.
West Ham- for the games v Man United and Crystal Palace.

Sadly for the other 10 teams they are in the highest tier three so fans wont be allowed into their stadiums for now. Aston Villa, Burnley, Leeds, Leicester, Man City, Man United, Newcastle, Sheffield United, West Brom and Wolves.

Nine Championship teams will be able to have fans. Bournemouth, Brentford, Luton, Millwall, Norwich, QPR, Reading, Watford and Wycombe.
Twelve League One teams. AFC Wimbledon, Charlton, Crewe, Ipswich, MK Dons, Northampton, Oxford, Peterborough, Plymouth, Portsmouth, Shrewsbury and Swndon.
Twelve teams in League Two. Barrow, Cambridge, Carlisle, Cheltenham, Colchester Crawley, Exeter, Forest Green, Harrogate, Leyton Orient, Southend, Stevenage and Tranmere.

I don't know about the National League yet.

Its is stupid yeah, and its minimal home support as well, 2,000 fans in Liverpool and West Ham's massive stadiums.

Looking at the number of COVID cases, teams are lucky to be allowed 2000 at all. I wouldn't complain unless you're complaining it's too many.

None of those teams in Championship, League One and League Two that will have fans will have 4,000 in either, so there are NO teams getting the maximum 4,000 so far.

There is a game on Friday night so here are this weekends games.

Friday night.
Crystal Palace v Newcastle (8pm Amazon)

Saturday.
Brighton v Liverpool (12.30 BT)
Man City v Burnley (3pm BT)
Everton v Leeds (5.30 Sky)
West Brom v Sheffield United (8pm Sky)

Sunday.
Southampton v Man United (2pm Sky)
Chelsea v Tottenham (4.30 Sky)
Arsenal v Wolves (7.15 Sky)

Monday night.
Leicester v Fulham (5.30 Sky)
West Ham v Aston Villa (8pm Sky)

Newcastle beat Palace 2-0 tonight, it was the very definition of a smash-and-grab with the goals coming in the 88th and 89 minutes, Joelinton and Wilson got Newcastle the win.

How the hell has Dele Alli come on top in Vermont?
Dele Alli! :eek: Is there another Dele Alli who plays in the US Leagues? If it is the same Dele Alli, has he got a load of family in Vermont! :boggled: But then hasn't he got enough cash to pay shirts for them. :rolleyes: :lol:

Are stupid handshake routines really that popular in America! :eek: First season at Spurs aside, he has done nothing, and can't get into the Spurs team. :boggled:

I can see how Rashford could be popular above and beyond being a Man Utd player for what he has done outside of football, but Martial being popular! :odd:

I've never even heard of Bonnuci, yet he sells load of shirts in North Dakota! A Juventus player, apparently, selling lots of shirts in North Dakota. The mind boggles. :boggled:

The longer I live, the less I understand people. :lol:

Brighton 1-1 Liverpool
Man City 5-0 Burnley
Everton 0-1 Leeds

Was at work during the Brighton-Liverpool game so didn't see it but heard it was VAR riddled, Liverpool had two goals disallowed and Brighton had a very late penalty given via VAR in the 93rd minute which was converted by Gross. Jota put Liverpool ahead on the hour mark and just to compound the misery more they had Milner off with a hamstring injury too. Klopp really wasn't happy afterwards.

Mahrez hat-trick for City with Torres and Ben Mendy with the other two goals, the fourth time in row that City have beaten Burnley 5-0 at home!

Everton-Leeds just finished and it was a good game with some great play and chances from both teams, Raphinha got the eventual winner with a nice neat finish from just outside the box into the bottom corner, a few goals legitamately ruled out during the game for offside.

West Brom v Sheffield United to come tonight.

Last edited:
Southampton 2-3 Man United.
Chelsea 0-0 Tottenham.

Southampton were 2-0 up at half time thanks a well-worked corner routine put in by Ward-Prowse and headed in by Bednarek, then a great free kick from Ward-Prowse which De Gea tried and failed to save, United were pretty terrible in the first half offering very little in attack, but then Ole brought Cavani on at half time and it changed everything. He provided the assist for Bruno Fernandes to score and then equalised in the 74th minute after that he scored the winner in the 92nd minute! Terrific comeback from United who's heads didn't drop and kept fighting.

Chelsea-Spurs was really boring with four shots on target all game, three of them from Chelsea and Spurs didn't even have a shot on goal in the second half, disappointing when you consider the talent both teams possess.

Arsenal v Wolves to come tonight.

Last edited:
A rollercoaster of a match yesterday. I thought the starting 11 was strong on paper, but the difference in the first half was chances taken v chances missed. Southampton were good for the lead, but I felt if we kept making chances for ourselves we would score. Bringing on Cavani at half time was a brilliant decision. Greenwood had been wasteful in the first half and was drifting in and out of the game. Although Rashford was also wasteful in the first half, he was more involved in things.

On Cavani he is now the subject of an investigation by the FA for a now deleted instagram post using a word that can be taken offensively in the UK, but in context in his homeland is a freindly term. However if rules are to be rules, he probably should get a short ban and fine. I sympathise where cultural and language differences can cause issues like this, but just because something is acceptable in one country doesn't make it so elsewhere.

Last edited:
I'm going to confess that my interest has taken a big dip, mainly due to the double whammy of COVID and VAR over-zealousness. Did tune into MOTD 2 last night though, and I don't know if it was because of the lack of crowd noise to mask the sound somewhat, but that clash of heads between Luiz and Jimenez was horrific. Especially after witnessing the Grosjean incident earlier...

Turns out Jimenez suffered a fractured skull, and he's successfully been through surgery. 👍

Back