2020/21 Premier League & General Football Discussion

• Thread starter Liquid
  • 948 comments

Your Opinion: Messi or Ronaldo?

• Messi

• Ronaldo

Results are only viewable after voting.
Super Fun Poll added.

Both are entering the latter stages of their careers; be interesting to see the ongoing result.

Ronaldo, I am biased being a United fan but I have had the luxury of watching them both play in an El Classico match a few years back.

Me and the missues had booked a long weekend in Barcelona and decided if Barcelona were playing at home that weekend we would buy a couple of tickets and go. The fixtures hadn't been released at this point, but when the fixtures came out it was El Classico. The tickets were very expensive, but we paid and went. Ronaldo scored twice and messi scored twice, it was fantastic.

Ronaldo for me has done it in the Premier League and La Liga and he has also had a bigger impact for Portugal that Messi has had for Argentina. That and I gravitate towards him because of the United connection, he is one of us, one of us.

Messi definitely has the best footwork I have ever seen live, but Ronaldo is an absolute beast and IMO has had a bigger impact internationally. I'm just happy to have seen them both.

Last edited:
I would be particularly interested in any Man United fans who would vote for Messi, if they exist at all.

Ronaldo, same reason as Dave.

I actually Ronaldo play live for United, it was in his first season way back in 2003, it was a home league game against Middlesbrough and we were a bit crap and lost 2-3, I don't really remember much of the match apart from Ronaldo taking a few corners right in front of me and saw a few of his then trademark runs and dribbles.

Donny Van De Beek has passed his medical in the Netherlands ahead of his United move, deal is expected to be announced either Tuesday or Wednesday and he will meet up with the squad after the upcoming internationals.

Messi is undoubtedly a better player now, but Ronaldo when he was younger especially at united seemed to play like he was just faster with better dribbling then anyone and no one could do anything about it.

I would be particularly interested in any Man United fans who would vote for Messi, if they exist at all.
They are a rare breed but they do exist.

I suppose you could say the same thing about any Barcelona fans who would vote for Ronaldo though.

Man United have signed Donny Van De Beek from Ajax for around £35 million with 5 million in add-ons, he signs a 5-year deal. 👍

Allan from Napoli and James Rodriguez of Real Madrid are heading to Everton for their medicals ahead of their moves.

AC Milan have signed Kylo Ren! And also Ibra for another year...

GettyImages-1169981663-498f.jpg

Man United have signed Donny Van De Beek from Ajax for around £35 million with 5 million in add-ons, he signs a 5-year deal. 👍

Allan from Napoli and James Rodriguez of Real Madrid are heading to Everton for their medicals ahead of their moves.
I'll believe James Rodriguez moves when it happens. He has had a weird career so far, burst on the scene at the 2014 World Cup, which got him a move from Monaco to Real Madrid. Being hailed as a 'Galactico', mainly because of the World Cup and the size of the fee, I think it is fair to say he didn't live up to that. Being sent out on a two year loan to Bayern Munich, with an option to buy, is never a good sign, and Bayern deciding not to buy, saw him back with Madrid.

He has been linked with loads of teams, but Everton seem to be the most concrete rumour so far. He has won titles with Madrid and Bayern, and no doubt he has had a lucrative contract over the years, but the games to goals ratio, only 85 games v 29 goals for Madrid, over the 4 years, and 43 games v 14 goals for Bayern over 2 years, is a pretty good return for a midfielder, but that is not many games over 6 years, and neither club seemed to rate him that much despite the goals. There have been injuries, but the lack of the big clubs being after him indicates to me there is something not quite right with him.

Ignore the first part.

Andorra also drew 0-0 away to Latvia this evening. Great result for them.

Apologies, I've got an Nations League thread no-one is on it currently apart from me.

Messi is expected to stay at Barcelona, he will announce it in a pre-recorded message in 15 minutes.

Chelsea's mad one continues with the signing of Kai Havertz from Bayer Leverkusen for £62 million.

Phil Foden and Mason Greenwood breached quarantine rules in Iceland by having some females in their hotel rooms whilst on England duty for the Nations League after the game on Saturday. They have been dropped from the squad for the Denmark game tomorrow night and will return to England. They have apologised and have been fined £1.300 by Icelandic authorities.

It was the first senior call ups for both of them, they both played in that Iceland game with Foden starting and Greenwood coming off the bench, they are both quite young at 19 and 20 so it seems to be a lack of judgement and nothing more, will be interesting to see if they get punished further.

Phil Foden and Mason Greenwood breached quarantine rules in Iceland by having some females in their hotel rooms whilst on England duty for the Nations League after the game on Saturday. They have been dropped from the squad for the Denmark game tomorrow night and will return to England. They have apologised and have been fined £1.300 by Icelandic authorities.

It was the first senior call ups for both of them, they both played in that Iceland game with Foden starting and Greenwood coming off the bench, they are both quite young at 19 and 20 so it seems to be a lack of judgement and nothing more, will be interesting to see if they get punished further.
FFS, idiots. :mad: They are not there to cop off, they are there to play football, and at this time, supposedly doing it within a bubble to limit contact with people for obvious (you would think) reasons. :rolleyes: This is just pure stupidity and lack of awareness with what is going on the world. Age is no excuse, this virus has been going on for months, and they played through the end of the season with the rules in place.

Their actions could impact the start of the Premier League season, not just for themselves. They could go back to their clubs, if this wasn't known about, and potentially infect half of their teams, and the opening fixtures could be messed up from the start. :banghead: It is going to be difficult enough to keep these players and teams virus free, or at least limited. It was one thing to keep the players away from their families over a condensed period to finish the season as quickly as possible, but that probably will not happen for this season, so the players have to continue to be careful, and this incident shows that some of them haven't got a clue. :censored:ing idiots.

Foden and Greenwood didn't cop off with their female guests as far as I know, social media pictures that appeared in a newspaper showed that they were fully clothed, and England insist that no-one from outside their bubble was inside the hotel.

Kylian Mbappe has also tested positive for Covid, becoming he seventh PSG player to do so!

Bit of a transfer bonanza today, Newcastle bought Callum Wilson from Bournemouth for £20 million and will wear their fabled number 9 shirt, Newcastle also signed Ryan Fraser on a free after his release from Bournemouth and Newcastle will hope that they rekindle the fantastic partnership they had at Bournemouth in the 18-19 season.

Everton have signed James Rodriguez from Real Madrid for £22 million which could be an absolute bargain! Everton also completed the signing of Brazilian midfielder Allan from Napoli last night.

I will post my predictions for the coming season tomorrow.

Foden and Greenwood didn't cop off with their female guests as far as I know, social media pictures that appeared in a newspaper showed that they were fully clothed, and England insist that no-one from outside their bubble was inside the hotel.
According to the BBC,
Later on Monday, an FA spokesperson said: "Whilst in Iceland, both Phil Foden and Mason Greenwood spent time outside of our private team area, which was a breach of our Covid-19 rules.

Bit of a transfer bonanza today, Newcastle bought Callum Wilson from Bournemouth for £20 million and will wear their fabled number 9 shirt, Newcastle also signed Ryan Fraser on a free after his release from Bournemouth and Newcastle will hope that they rekindle the fantastic partnership they had at Bournemouth in the 18-19 season.
The number 9 at Newcastle is a big number to take. :eek: There is a lot of weight of history and expectation that comes with that. :nervous: Good luck to him. 👍 I like Newcastle, and their fans deserve more than what they have had for many years. Though a bit conflicted because of Mike Ashley. :rolleyes:

Here are my predictions for this season

1. Man City
2. Liverpool
3. Chelsea
4. Man United
----------------------
5. Arsenal
6. Tottenham
----------------------
7. Wolves
8. Everton
9. Leicester
10. Southampton
11. Sheffield United
12. Leeds United
13. West Ham
14. Newcastle
15. Brighton
16. Burnley
17. Crystal Palace
------------------------
18. Aston Villa
19. Fulham
20. West Brom

Man City will be more hungry than last year and will want to avenge losing the title to Liverpool, they have spent well and I really cant see them dropping as many points as they did last season, Liverpool haven't really strengthened and you may think that they don't need to but I think they do and for them to play to the same level that they have done for the third season in a row is massive ask, 18 points was the gap last year and it won't be as big this year. It will be very close!

As for the rest of the top four Chelsea have had an amazing transfer window signing so many top quality players, it might take a while for the new team to gel but they should get Champions League easy, Man United still need to strengthen in a few areas but there is still three weeks of the window left, having Fernandes for a whole season will be fantastic and they will continue their resurgence in to next season, no doubt!

Arsenal and Tottenham is pretty much as you were but I think Arsenal could be a bit of a dark horse under Arteta, Spurs have bought well in the summer and I expect them to make a bit of progress under Mourinho, it seems to be as you were for Wolves as well, although the signing of Portugese wonderkid Fabio Silva could be huge, no European Football for them this season, Everton have made some fantastic signings in the last week or so and Rodriguez could be signing of the season. i think they will make some progress under Ancelotti and push for a Europa League spot, Leicester had a great season last time but I don't see them replicating it, the squad is largely the same and they have the extra Europa League games as well, As for Southampton I think Hassenhuttl is one of the under-rated managers in the league and I think they will make progress, Sheffield United will have more of the same but I think there will be a bit of second season syndrome, I cant wait to see how Leeds and Bielsa do, I think they will be fine though and will have a mid table place, That Rodrigo signing is a big statement.

I haven't really got much to say about Newcastle, West Ham and Brighton, although Newcastle have made some good signings in the last few days and there might be a little bit of progress this time, Crystal Palace and Burnley will struggle for different reasons, Palace struggled for goals last year and haven't signed a striker yet, they Signed Eze from QPR which could be a great signing but the squad is largely the same, Burnley manager Sean Dyche and the owners fell out last season over the clubs ambitions, Dyche feels that with some more investment the club can push on and not worry about relegation but the owners are happy with things as they are, they have only made free transfers thus far and the squad has been weakened by the seven players leaving on a free at the end of last season when the club wouldn't renew their contracts.

I cant see Aston Villa surviving again this season and I don't really know why, its just a feeling. Fulham and West Brom won't have the quality to stay up, although I like managers of both teams.

So that's me, let me know what you guys think and what your predictions are. 👍

Top 4:
Liverpool
Chelsea
Man U
Man City

Europa League:
Everton
Wolves

Relegated:
West Brom
Aston Villa
Crystal Palace

League Cup: Tottenham

FA Cup: Chelsea

Champions League: Juventus
Europa League: Marseille

Top Four:
Manchester City
Liverpool
Manchester United
Chelsea

Relegated:
Aston Villa
Fulham
West Brom

I'm concerned that Liverpool can't match the firepower of Manchester City this season. Liverpool's lack of goal scoring to end the last season worries me.

As for relegation, I'm giving Crystal Palace the benefit of the doubt. It was between them and one of the new teams not named Leeds United. But I think Villa is definitely going down.

There is a article predicting the Premier League placings on the BBC Sport website which generates a nice pic of your selections, so here are mine. :)

I'm obviously hoping Liverpool will keep close to the levels they have for the last two years, but I think most people's 'sensible' ;) :lol: predictions will have Liverpool and Cit€h in either first or second. I'm not sure Cit€h have addressed their defensive frailties of last season.

There has been a lot of money spent by some teams, but time will tell if they make a team and hit the ground running with so many new faces. Chel$ki is where the most pressure will be imho with so many new and expensive faces. Lampard may get them playing well, like he did last year at the start, but it is a marathon, not a sprint, and they faded towards the end. Hence the money spent, rather than trying to improve the consistency of their young squad by maybe adding some older experience. I still put them in third though. ;)

I don't think I will try to predict the FA Cup or League Cup, because it is hard not to put Cit€h as the most likely for both given their performance in those comps for the last few years. :eek: :bowdown: I don't think I would tip them for the Champion's League though. :rolleyes: ;) :lol:

Can't wait for it all to start now the waste of time internationals are out of the way. :)

premier-league-table-2020-final-redhed17 20-21 resize.jpg

Last edited:

Latest Posts

Back