2020/21 Premier League & General Football Discussion

• Thread starter Liquid
  • 948 comments

Your Opinion: Messi or Ronaldo?

• Messi

• Ronaldo

Results are only viewable after voting.
Premier League have officially rejected the Saudi takeover at Newcastle, main reason being that the prospective new owners failed the fit and proper owners test :lol:

Plans for fans to return to sports venues from October 1st are to be reviewed, UK has had a big rise in Covid cases in the last week and new restrictions will come into force in England from Monday, sadly it doesn't look likely that there will be fans at stadiums for a while.

Man United have made a breakthrough in talks for Jadon Sancho, the club have been negotiating with his agent and have agreed wages and agent fees on his contract, Jadon wants the move. Dortmund however won't budge on the £109 million asking price...and I can't see us paying it.

Man United have made a breakthrough in talks for Jadon Sancho, the club have been negotiating with his agent and have agreed wages and agent fees on his contract, Jadon wants the move. Dortmund however won't budge on the £109 million asking price...and I can't see us paying it.
And that seems the important bit. :lol:

Full table predictions update
premier-league-table-2020-final-36ff47e6cbc6a3457d4255f8c510c2c1.jpg

The fantasy league is very empty, only 9 people so far. Deadline is tomorrow morning, so please join if you haven't already.

Normally when I post the first games of the season I say 'its been a while' but it hasn't really, its only been six weeks!

Here are the games for the opening weekend.

Saturday
Crystal Palace v Southampton (BT)
Fulham v Arsenal (12.30 BT)
Liverpool v Leeds (5.30 Sky)
West Ham v Newcastle (8pm Sky)

Sunday
Tottenham v Everton (4.30 Sky)
West Brom v Leicester (2pm Sky)

Monday night.
Brighton v Chelsea (8.15 Sky)
Sheffield United v Wolves (6pm Sky)

All games are televised because of no fans allowed in the stadiums, and the way things are going Covid related in the UK right now it might be like that for a while.

Burnley v Man United and Man City v Aston Villa both postponed because of both United and City taking part in European competitions only a few weeks ago, Man United play Aston Villa in a friendly tomorrow.

The Black lives matter logo on players shirt sleeves will be replaced with the no room for racism logo, which is the PL's own anti-racism campaign, players will continue to take the knee before kick-offs.

Full times from the only two games so far.

Fulham 0-3 Arsenal
Crystal Palace 1-0 Southampton

Arsenal were really impressive, they dominated Fulham pretty much from start to finish, Goals from Lacazette plus a debut goal from defender Gabriel and Aubameyang with a great finish in the second half. Arsenal's momentum continues and they could be a real force this season, as for Fulham well they didn't do a lot wrong as Arsenal had a bit too much for them, could be a long season for them though.

Wilfried Zaha got the only goal of the game for Palace, during the match Jon Moss sent of Kyle Walker-Peters of Southampton but then went to the pitch side monitor to look at the challenge again before recinding the red card, VAR done right!

Liverpool v Leeds to come at half 5 plus West Ham v Newcastle tonight at 8.

Boy am I glad I made Mo Salah my captain in my Fantasy team :lol:

So many gifts handed out in this game, crazy match. :boggled:

I have Salah but not as Captain of course because that's where I usually lose out fantasy wise. Not done too bad so far though, could be worse with some of the odd choices I'm stuck with for now. :odd:

Was also going to remove him for next week but maybe not now, might have to lose Aubamayeng to get a city player in and improve my depth, too many decisions so early in the season thanks to teams missing this week, I don't know what to do. :ouch:

:cheers::gtplanet:

The Liverpool v Leeds game was a cracker, both teams going for it, both teams giving away chance after chance. Arsenal looked good too, but Fulham didn't. Be interesting to see how Chelsea look on Monday, they've bought almsot a whole new team which shows plenty of ambition, but it's not always easy to get a lot of new signings to play well together.

Last edited:
Leeds were very good earlier, they should definitely be fine this season.

Newcastle beat West Ham 0-2, both debutants Wilson and Hendrick getting the goals, West Ham were not good at all.

It's going to be hard to place United and Arsenal until the end of the transfer window, I think there's still business to be done from both clubs.

As it stands right now i think City and Liverpool will fight for top spot and United, Chelsea and maybe Arsenal for 3rd and 4th.

It's going to be hard to place United and Arsenal until the end of the transfer window, I think there's still business to be done from both clubs.

As it stands right now i think City and Liverpool will fight for top spot and United, Chelsea and maybe Arsenal for 3rd and 4th.
I agree, players in and out could affect many teams significantly, particularly Arsenal imho if Aubameyang were to go, but these are all predictions at the start of the season. ;)

The Premier League can be so unpredictable game by game, witness the Liverpool game, :eek: :lol: and I expected better from Southampton and West Ham yesterday too considering how they ended last season not so long ago, but generally the same teams end up in similar areas at the end. I think a lot of people have had a similar prediction of Fulham's fate unfortunately. ;) :lol:

Yes I think everyone (well almost) has City and Liverpool one two again and only argue over the order and West Brom and Fulham going straight back down. The rest though is a lot more unpredictable, good signings are massive here.

West Ham's next SIX games are not kind though, they are going to have to improve massively from yesterday to have any chance of saving Moyes his job, going off how the owners have acted in the past.

West Ham's team yesterday was a carbon copy of last season's, the only signing they have made is they have made Tomas Soucek's loan permanent and that's it, Mark Noble wasn't happy that they let Diangana got to West Brom last week and he voiced his displeasure on Twitter.

To my American eyes this year's game ball kind of looks like a big baseball to me. It almost looks like it has stitching similar to a baseball. :)

West Brom 0-3 Leicester
Tottenham 0-1 Everton

Vardy with two penalties and a debut goal for Castagne got Leicester the win and they were the better team.

A fantastic Digne free kick swung in and met by Calvert-Lewin got Everton the win, Tottenham had some good chances but looked a little short of ideas up front, Allan had a great debut and won man of the match, James looked good too.

Moaninho
I didn’t like my team.
In the second half, we were poor after the goal. We weren’t physically strong and lacked in intensity
The struggle started in the way we pressed. Or the way we didn’t press. Our pressure up (front) was very, very poor. It was a lazy pressure and when you have lazy pressure you let opponents build from the back.’

Doesn't he realise that when he is lashing out at everyone with the blame, (apart from himself of course :rolleyes:) it does not absolve him from responsibility! If the team is unfit and lacking intensity, it is his fault as much as the players. If the players are not pressing in the right manner then it is his fault for not only not getting it through to the players what to do before the match, but also not changing it when they were doing it wrong during the match. Ooh he is an irritating man.

Brighton v Chelsea kicks off in just under an hour and a half, it'll be interesting to see how Chelsea play. With all thier new signing it could go either way, but they have some pretty good new signings.

I think only Havertz and Werner are expected to start tonight, the rest of the new signings aren't match fit yet.

To my American eyes this year's game ball kind of looks like a big baseball to me. It almost looks like it has stitching similar to a baseball. :)

Well to my English my eyes it just looks awful. :yuck:

At least I've spotted a few nice looking kits so far and I like most of the crazy ones too, they are good for a laugh anyway. Then there is Man City's, which all look like wallpaper designs. :lol:

Well to my English my eyes it just looks awful. :yuck:

At least I've spotted a few nice looking kits so far and I like most of the crazy ones too, they are good for a laugh anyway. Then there is Man City's, which all look like wallpaper designs. :lol:

When the new Nike ball was released I saw a video saying that the indentations on the ball are to reduce the ball moving in the air and move more consistently, which which is obviously desirable. ;) The actual painted design can look however they want it to though, and this new design seems a bit boring. Though I would rather that than some multi coloured monstrosity. :lol:

Just watching the Brighton v Chel$ki game, and the patterning on the Chel$ki away kit looks like a 7 year old child's pyjamas! :eek: Good to try something different, but... :lol: It has also got the latest Nike design which makes it look like they have put the collar on backwards. :rolleyes: :lol:

Out of all the designs for the new season I have seen, I like both Arsenal away kits. I like all Crystal Palace's kits, simple, different and original. Same with the Southampton red and white home and away kits. I like the Leicester maroon away kit. I also like the West Ham black and gold 3rd kit, simple and classy.

Both Manchester teams seem to have gone a bit :crazy: home and away. :lol: Spurs kits are lazy and boring designs imho. The Liverpool home kit is OK, bar the wacky Nike back to front collar, but the away kits! :eek: :boggled: Chel$ki home is the most boring, and has been over a number of years, though maybe the Spurs away kits too. Aston Villa, Burnley and West Ham home kits are always similar, though occasionally they through up a wacky home kit. Not this time though. :rolleyes: :lol:

All the rest are a bit meh! :indiff:

Adam Lallana had to be subbed off right before halftime for Brighton with an apparent injury. I hope it's not very serious considering his history.

Sheffield United 0-2 Wolves
Brighton 1-3 Chelsea

Two early Wolves goals in the first seven minutes from Jiminez and Saiss got Wolves the win, United did pretty well once they woke up and had some good chances.

Jorginho got the opener from the penalty spot for Chelsea after Ryan brought down Werner, Trossard gave Brighton the equaliser with a lovely long range strike before Chelsea restored their lead via a Reece James rocket just two minutes later and then Kurt Zouma got the eventual winner in the 66th minute, out of the new signings only Werner and Havertz played. Werner looked lively and was a threat up front.

No PL action in mid week but there is the League Cup second round with Sky showing a game on three consecutive nights from Tuesday-Thursday, there is also the Champions League and Europa League qualifying rounds.

Aubameyang has signed a new three-year deal at Arsenal, Huge news for the club and its probably the best bit of news they'll have this Summer, it looked like he was on the way out a few months ago but Arteta has obviously persuaded him to stay and maybe the FA Cup win helped as well.

Jack Grealish has also signed a new contract at Villa which is obviously big news for them too.

A few bits of news from today.

Nine Football league games this weekend will be trail events and will have 1,000 fans in attendance, its a bit confusing why fans are back in some capacity but you can only meet up with five other people in England, but it might be a different topic for another thread.

Gareth Bale is set to return to Tottenham in the coming days, its a permanent deal for around £25 million and its reported that his wage will be £250k a week which is a big cut from his current £600k at Real (but I'm sure he will be fine!!) its obviously a big coup for Spurs.

A League Cup round up, tonight Everton beat Salford 3-0, Leeds were knocked out by Hull on penalties and Southampton were knocked out by Brentford, last night West Ham beat Charlton 3-0, Villa beat Burton 1-3 and recently relegated Watford and Bournemouth both need penalties to progress against Oxford and Crystal Palace, the third round draw has already been made even before the second round started but there are still three second round games to come tomorrow night so I'll post the third round draw after those games, the fourth round draw also takes place tomorrow night...rather confusingly!

For the American viewers this weekend, due to The Tour De France being on NBCSN and the US Open golf tournament being on NBC, almost all coverage of the Premier League will be carried on Peacock which is NBC's streaming service. This includes the big clash between Liverpool and Chelsea on Sunday. I get Peacock Premium for free through Xfinity but I don't know if Premier League games are on Premium only.

The only games on NBCSN are the Arsenal v. West Ham game on Saturday and Leicester City v. Burnley on Sunday.

Games this weekend.

Saturday
Everton v West Brom (12.30 BT)
Leeds v Fulham (3pm BT)
Man United v Crystal Palace (5.30 Sky)
Arsenal v West Ham (8pm Sky)

Sunday
Southampton v Tottenham (12pm BT)
Newcastle v Brighton (2pm Sky)
Chelsea v Liverpool (4.30 Sky)
Leicester v Burnley (7pm BBC)

Monday night
Aston Villa v Sheffield United (6pm Sky)
Wolves v Man City (8.15 Sky)

Thiago to Liverpool is a done deal and they are also close to a deal for Wolves Diogo Jota for £35 million, Gareth Bale and Sergio Reguillon to Tottenham are edging closer

Jota to Liverpool is now agreed the fee is reported to be £40m.

Bale to Spurs is also done but Bale can't play for about a month due to an injury he has picked up, presumably from playing Golf.

United have agreed terms with Alex Telles from FC Porto but not yet agreed a fee with the club, we've been in this position before. We're siad to be hoping to tie that deal up in the next few days though and our fall back option is Vitaliy Mykolenko who plays for Dynamo Kiev.

Back