2020/21 Premier League & General Football Discussion

• Thread starter Liquid
  • 948 comments

Your Opinion: Messi or Ronaldo?

• Messi

• Ronaldo

Results are only viewable after voting.
Bayern played their first Bundesliga game of the new season tonight against Schalke, obviously their first game without Thiago...and they won 8-0!

Not making it up, a hat-trick by Gnabry and Sane got a goal and two assists on his debut, Bayern are ridiculous!

So there has only been two games so far, and they have both been a bit mental!

Everton 5-2 West Brom
Leeds 4-3 Fulham

Grady Diangana gave WBA the lead with a lovely strike from outside the box, Calvert-Lewin got the equaliser given via VAR before Rodriguez got a nice first goal for Everton, but then straight from kick-off Rodriguez gave Kieran Gibbs the lightest of nudges trying to win the ball back and Gibbs responded by shoving him to the floor which resulted in him being sent off, Bilic argued with ref Mike Dean at HT which resulted in him also being sent off, in the second half WBA equalised via a great free kick from Mathues Pereira before Everton scored three in 12 minutes including Calvert-Lewin two getting more for his hat-trick, crazy game!

Leeds were 4-1 up until Fulham had a little comeback, Helder Costa with two goals for Leeds with Bamford and a Klich penalty, Mitrovic got two for Fulham with Bobby Reid getting the other goal.

Man United v Crystal Palace & Arsenal v West Ham to come tonight.

Well that was dire, I was really looking forward to today and what, lose 3-1 to Palace with a performance as bad as the scoreline suggests.

The referee was woeful as well and created plenty of controversy with that penalty decision, but Palace more than deserved the 3 points.

On the positive side, a debut goal for new boy Van De Beek. I think he will be an important player this season for United.

The lack of a pre-season really showed today, we were not as fast, sharp or fit as Palace were. I'm not going to overreact to today because I think the sharpness will come, it's too easy to write off our good run last season. But it needs to come sooner rather than later.

We do need to bring a new CB in though, Lindelof and Maguire are just far too exposed against pace together.

Fair play to Palace, they were by far the better team and absolutely deserved the win.

As for United, it was ****ing dreadful, it was like the form we had at the start of last season before we had that unbeaten run, lack of ergency, tempo and pace and laboured up front, our defence was scared to death whenever Palace attacked, it might be the lack of pre-season and the fact that Ole had to named a bit of a mixed team because some players only returned to training this week.

It also exposes the lack of transfer activity we have had this window, VDB did score when he came on but we still badly need a proper top quality mobile CB and we need more options in attack, I don't know how long is left in the window but I think its around two weeks, If we don't sign at least a couple of players then I cant see us finishing in the top four.

The two VAR decisions for the penalties were some of the worst I have seen.

Arsenal beat West Ham 2-1, Arsenal weren't as good as last week and only got their winner in the 85th minute, West Ham put up a fight and did well.

Southampton 2-5 Tottenham
Newcastle 0-3 Brighton
Chelsea 0-2 Liverpool

Another day full of goals started with Southampton taking the lead from Danny Ings before Son scored four (yeah that's right, FOUR!) with Harry Kane assisting all four and getting one himself, Ings converted a late penalty but it was only a consolation, it was more like what Tottenham should be playing like.

Brighton were impressive in a dominant win over Newcastle, two early goals from Maupay including one from the penalty spot and Aaron Connelly in the second half with the goals, Brighton had Bissouma sent off for an accidental boot to the face very late on, Newcastle were woeful.

It was a nervy start at Stamford Bridge by both sides, it livened up when Christensen was sent off for taking down Mane when he was the last man, ref initially gave a yellow but took a look pitch-side before upgrading it to a red and that was right before half time, in the second half Liverpool predictably dominated with Mane netting twice and the second was from another disaster-class from Kepa, Thiago came on at half time and looked like he had been at the club for years, despite the fact he gave away a penalty which Alisson saved.

Leicester v Burnley to come...plus two games tomorrow, could be in for a record weekend goals wise.

Four 7-goal games in two weekends and three this weekend alone. Pretty crazy goal galore at the moment.

Leicester v Burnley finished 4-2 in another high scoring game.

Does anyone know what the record is for the most goals in a single Premier League weekend? I can't seem to find it anywhere.

At the moment we have 39 goals in 8 games with two more to play on Monday night.

Leicester v Burnley finished 4-2 in another high scoring game.

Does anyone know what the record is for the most goals in a single Premier League weekend? I can't seem to find it anywhere.

At the moment we have 39 goals in 8 games with two more to play on Monday night.
upload_2020-9-21_8-55-29.png

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/54226722

So its 43 in a 10 game weekend, Villa beat Sheffield United 1-0 earlier and City are currently 0-2 up against Wolves at half time, and that now takes it to 42 this weekend, one more and its equaled and two more its broken.

Apologies for the double post but just want to give a little round-up of what's happened tonight, plus a new record!

Aston Villa 1-0 Sheffield United
Wolves 1-3 Man City

United had John Egan sent off for denying Villa a goal-scoring opportunity when he was the last man, Egan was pulling and impeding Ollie Watkins and whilst Watkins didn't go down the ref still deemed it red card worthy which seemed a bit harsh to me, that was in the 12th minute of the game so united had to play the majority with 10 men. They were always going to make it difficult for Villa to break them down but Villa got the goal Ezri Konsa heading home a corner in the 63rd minute. New Villa keeper Martinez saved a United penalty in the first half.

De Bruyne opened the scoring for City via a penalty in the 19th minute after he was taken down by Saiss, an un-marked Phil Foden followed that up with a nice finish in the 32nd minute, Wolves were much better in the second half and had some great chances, Jimenez scored from a lovely bit of play in the 78th minute but Gabriel Jesus go the eventual winner with virtually the last kick of the game in the 95th minute. Impressive by City tonight, they looked like a team on a mission.

So after the games the Premier League confirmed that was there was a record broken tonight, 44 goals were scored across the match-week's 10 fixtures which is a new record, its been one mad weekend, full of goals, incidents, red cards, penalties and taking points. I have never known a weekend quite like this one!

...and still no draws, what's the record for the longest run from the start of the season without draws?

The League Cup game between Leyton Orient and Tottenham tonight is off, its because several Orient players have returned positive Coronavirus tests, it was quite a late call to postpone the game with kick-off originally scheduled for 6pm and the news broke at around 1pm, its unclear whether the game will be re-scheduled or Spurs will get a bye, which seems a bit harsh on Orient.

Four League Cup third round games on tonight with a few games tomorrow night and on Thursday night, fourth round draw has already been made.

I didn't get any notifications there had been any posts in the thread. :banghead: :rolleyes:
It was a nervy start at Stamford Bridge by both sides, it livened up when Christensen was sent off for taking down Mane when he was the last man, ref initially gave a yellow but took a look pitch-side before upgrading it to a red and that was right before half time, in the second half Liverpool predictably dominated with Mane netting twice and the second was from another disaster-class from Kepa, Thiago came on at half time and looked like he had been at the club for years, despite the fact he gave away a penalty which Alisson saved.
After all the speculation regarding Thiago, it all seemed to move so quick. I didn't expect him to be in the squad for the Chel$ki, but it seemed to be the perfect situation against 10 men, and my did he look good. :eek: There will be a lot harder situations, but it was a great start. Diogo Jota came out of the blue too. :eek: I love it when Liverpool can actually do that in the social media age. It will be interesting to see if Klopp uses either in the Carabao Cup on Thursday. Arsenal will be a hard game on Monday, as they have started the season very well. Community Cup replay, but hopefully with a different result. ;)

David Moyes and two West Ham players have tested positive for Covid-19. With numbers rising in the UK I think there may be teams affected as time goes on, but hopefully not enough to stop the season again. On a positive note, it looks like West Ham are going to win their Carabao Cup match against Hull City.

Man United beat Luton 0-3 to progress, Ole made 10 changes from the weekend and overall it was a better performance, a Mata penalty in the first half plus two late goals from Rashford and Greenwood who came on as subs got United the win.

West Ham beat Hull 5-1, Brentford knocked out West Brom on penalties and Newport beat Watford 3-1 in the shock of the night.

Nothing much to report from the League cup tonight, all Premier League sides won comfortably. Chelsea beat Barnsley 6-0 with Kai Havertz getting a hat-trick, Newcastle beat Morcambe 0-7, Everton beat Fleetwood 2-5 and Arsenal beat Leicester 0-2 in the only all PL tie of the round.

Nothing much to report from the League cup tonight, all Premier League sides won comfortably. Chelsea beat Barnsley 6-0 with Kai Havertz getting a hat-trick, Newcastle beat Morcambe 0-7, Everton beat Fleetwood 2-5 and Arsenal beat Leicester 0-2 in the only all PL tie of the round.
Do you work for the BBC?

I figured you did, because routinely they absolutely cannot bring themselves to mention Sheffield Wednesday either...
... and Premier League Fulham beat Sheffield Wednesday 2-0, along with Premier League Burnley beating Millwall 2-0, and Premier League Brighton beating Preston 2-0.

Tonight's League Cup stuff, only three games but plenty of goals, Liverpool beat Lincoln 2-7, Aston Villa beat Bristol City 0-3 and Man City beat Bournemouth 2-1, Man City's young 17-year old midfielder Liam Delap scored on his professional debut in that game. The fourth round is next week.

UEFA Super Cup between Bayern Munich and Sevilla is on, its 1-1 in extra time in front of 20,000 fans in Bucharest.

Newcastle beat Morcambe 0-7, Everton beat Fleetwood 2-5 and Arsenal beat Leicester 0-2

Liverpool beat Lincoln 2-7, Aston Villa beat Bristol City 0-3
If you were telling someone the result of, for example, the Newcastle game, would you say it the way you've written it there, or would you say 7 nil/zero/nothing? You surely cannot beat someone zero to seven. I get you're indicating who the away team is but it doesn't make sense written like that.

Okay then, lets see if I can get this one right.

Saturday
Brighton v Man United (12.30 BT)
Crystal Palace v Everton (3pm Amazon)
West Brom v Chelsea (5.30 Sky)
Burnley v Southampton (8pm Sky)

Sunday
Sheffield United v Leeds (12pm BT)
Tottenham v Newcastle (2pm Sky)
Man City v Leicester (4.30 Sky)
West Ham v Wolves (7pm BT)

Monday night
Fulham v Aston Villa (5.45 Sky)
Liverpool v Arsenal (8pm Sky)

The way they're playing, Rodriguez, Richarlison and Calvert-Lewin have the makings of being a pretty scary trio in that Everton team, kind of like the first full season of Firmino, Mane and Salah.

TBH, if Everton keep those three firing on all cylinders, I can see this season being a bit like Liverpool a few years ago - bright attackers who score loads of goals, but a poor backline and an error-prone goalie who costs them points at crucial points.

Cracking ending to the United v Brighton game. United winning 2-1, Brighton equalise deep into extra time and then United win a penalty with the last kick of the game.

You can't make up how up and down that game was, goals galore albeit a couple rightly ruled out. But what a rollercoaster ending. I would feel bad for Brighton but they tried to con a couple of penalties earlier in the game, so to lose it to a last second penalty was poetry,

You can't make up how up and down that game was, goals galore albeit a couple rightly ruled out. But what a rollercoaster ending. I would feel bad for Brighton but they tried to con a couple of penalties earlier in the game, so to lose it to a last second penalty was poetry,
Neil Maupay scored a Panenka penalty in the first half and did a mock crying celebration as he ran away from the goal. The fact he conceded the penalty at the death for a stupid handball surely won't be missed by most United fans.

Back