2020 Virgin Australia Supercars ChampionshipTouring Cars 

• Thread starter Spacegoat
  • 827 comments
Solid result for Mostert. Was annoyed with how aggressively Davison was blocking after the first stop but even if Chaz got past, the car didn't seem to look after it's tyres very well. Doubt he would have been able to stay there.

Going to be a big effort to get to Smith's car repaired in time (assuming it can be repaired) for the race but if there's one team that can do it, it's BJR.

Believe Betty on Facebook a day or two ago also stated that this will Erebus' last year running the Commodore. Maybe this why Barry was talking about the Camaro?

I posted this to Reddit not long after the Mostert to WAU deal was officially announced.

After finally being formally announced, I had a few thoughts about Mosterts move.

A week or two ago, Ryan Walkinshaw held a Q&A on his Instagram, and after sifting through the many Mostert questions, there were a couple that stuck out. Without remembering the questions word for word, the first one was regards to WAU possibly running with a new manufacturer in 2021, which Ryan responded saying that they are currently in talks with a manufacturer. The second was a question asking if we’d see BMW ever join Supercars, in which Ryan gave an answer along the lines of ‘never say never’.

The one driver to have continuous connections with BMW is none other than WAUs new recruit Chaz Mostert. Mostert’s relationship with BMW has seen him drive for their factory GT team in IMSA for the Daytona 24h and Petit Le Mans, as well drives in the Asian Le Man series and at Macau for the FIA GT World Cup. BMW were also wanting to have him run full time in IMSA for 2020, which is obviously now out of the question.

With Ryan Walkinshaw alluding to the possibility of BMW at some point entering Supercars, it would make complete and absolute sense for Mostert to be their man. Is there chance that there is more to Mostert’s move to WAU than just a mega money deal? Typically deals with manufacturers happen far earlier than what the public are made aware of, so if WAU were to be in talks with BMW, they would’ve began a while ago. If talks are being made, I would not be surprised in slightest if Mostert’s name was involved and that part of the deal was to recruit him to be BMWs man. Having a year with the team in 2020 would give them the best chance at coming out of the gates already firing in 2021.

Mostert isn’t the only link to BMW that WAU currently have either. In Formula E, BMWs team is run conjunction with Andretti, forming BMW i Andretti Motorsport. After originally just being a technical partnership for the 17/18 season, the relationship was strengthened to become a full factory for the 18/19 season. WAU have been quite public about searching for a new manufacturer after their Camaro idea went away, and it’s not hard to imagine that a manufacturer that they are talks with, is one that one of their owners already have a strong relationship with.

Maybe I’m looking into it too much, or maybe there is something to it...

It’s a wall of text so I chucked in a spoiler. I’ll be pretty proud if it does to fruition because the theory gained some traction with Auto Action (Yeah, yeah I know, lol) and James Phelps (Again, yeah yeah I know, lol).

Time certain will almost certainly be a factor now. Yesterday’s race finished only 13 minutes before the cut off time and that was without any SC.

Started earlier today though. Unless the cutoff is also earlier.

Yeah both races have a 2 hour limit.

Shane said he broke a shock on his radio quite a while before they shows the crew getting the garage ready, no idea how the commentators didn’t hear it.

I want to know more about this BMW talk. Anyway, 25th Anniversary coming up at Melbourne. Should be one of the best events this year. Can't wait!

Good race today, sure made up for yesterday’s. I’m glad to see that, so far, the technical changes have brought the top two teams down a notch. Obviously they’re still going to be hard to beat but it doesn’t look like they’re going to be able to run away with it every race now. Fresh air is still critical though, would like to have seen them bring the downforce down a little bit more.

From my own perspective, had a great weekend. Final turn is a great place to watch the race from. Actually being able to see the pit stops gives you some clarity when you’re trackside. Also managed to get front and centre for the podium today, which was a great way to end the weekend.

Good race today, sure made up for yesterday’s. I’m glad to see that, so far, the technical changes have brought the top two teams down a notch. Obviously they’re still going to be hard to beat but it doesn’t look like they’re going to be able to run away with it every race now. Fresh air is still critical though, would like to have seen them bring the downforce down a little bit more.

From my own perspective, had a great weekend. Final turn is a great place to watch the race from. Actually being able to see the pit stops gives you some clarity when you’re trackside. Also managed to get front and centre for the podium today, which was a great way to end the weekend.
I totally agree with you about the downforce.

If drivers are still finding an aerodynamic hole behind other cars, that's not good for racing & they need to reduce it even further for Gen3.

Also, how many broken shocks are we going to see every weekend? Control components are a great idea, but if everyone has to use them, they have to be reliable.

I totally agree with you about the downforce.

If drivers are still finding an aerodynamic hole behind other cars, that's not good for racing & they need to reduce it even further for Gen3.
They could easily have fixed it with this last aero update. All they had to do was remove the bottom Gurney flap, re-balance the aero without it and the jobs done. It was brought up last year with SVG saying he was unable to follow his team mate at Pukekohe after the introduction of the Gurney flap to the ZB. The drivers had the same complaint about the Nissan after it was added to that car. SVG implicitly stated again this weekend that it was a hard to follow other cars because of the gurney flap.
Also, how many broken shocks are we going to see every weekend? Control components are a great idea, but if everyone has to use them, they have to be reliable.
It wasn't the shocks in either of Pye or SVG's cases, it was the lower control arm ;). They don't know yet if it was related at all to the new shocks, especially as SVG had other suspension issues going on since earlier in the race.

They could easily have fixed it with this last aero update. All they had to do was remove the bottom Gurney flap, re-balance the aero without it and the jobs done. It was brought up last year with SVG saying he was unable to follow his team mate at Pukekohe after the introduction of the Gurney flap to the ZB. The drivers had the same complaint about the Nissan after it was added to that car. SVG implicitly stated again this weekend that it was a hard to follow other cars because of the gurney flap.
It wasn't the shocks in either of Pye or SVG's cases, it was the lower control arm ;). They don't know yet if it was related at all to the new shocks, especially as SVG had other suspension issues going on since earlier in the race.
Yep, Supercars making a pig’s breakfast of yet another process.

If it wasn’t the shocks, that’s even more of a question mark.
Unless T8 have engineered a control arm too fragile, there has to be a cause of the failures.
I’d like to know how many cars were running identical components & what they looked like post race.

Yep, Supercars making a pig’s breakfast of yet another process.
👍
If it wasn’t the shocks, that’s even more of a question mark.
Unless T8 have engineered a control arm too fragile, there has to be a cause of the failures.
I’d like to know how many cars were running identical components & what they looked like post race.
Didn't 888 have at least one similar failure last year? I thought SVG had one let go, but I'm far from positive.

.... and Pye's were the same.

Edit: I just remembered it was SVG's rear suspension that let go.
unnamed.jpg

Last edited:
Was that Sandown when he was using the hydraulics, scraping it's belly.
Yeah it was Sandown (my memory thanks you for this google :dopey:) , apparently a bolt fell out of place and jammed the suspension according to this article. https://www.foxsports.com.au/motors...9/news-story/79b7c55dfc5edc1b34763d706d66c4e6

The rear failure was under very similar circumstances though. Both times he was really pushing hard.
“I was out of control, those first two stints, knowing we had to make it up, time on track,” recalled van Gisbergen.

“The car took everything I gave to it but obviously not enough at the end, but I couldn’t drive it any harder.
https://www.speedcafe.com/2019/11/10/van-gisbergen-just-gutted-by-late-failure/

Back