2020 Virgin Australia Supercars ChampionshipTouring Cars 

• Thread starter Spacegoat
  • 827 comments
New Zealand ??
They have tighter restrictions than us though, so only a handful of drivers could enter.

South Australia is the obvious choice, with our borders being open to all but NSW and Victoria and with the bonus of having a multi layout track...

I could be a tad biased though, and this could be more to do with my own personal agendas :sly:

As a side note to all of this, what is the AFL doing? Are they under the same restrictions? I do watch the games over here in the US late nights on the weekends (I don't know the rules and such) and I see at least on the tv schedule there are games scheduled for this weekend.

As a side note to all of this, what is the AFL doing? Are they under the same restrictions? I do watch the games over here in the US late nights on the weekends (I don't know the rules and such) and I see at least on the tv schedule there are games scheduled for this weekend.
Same sort of deal. A travel hub in Queensland for the Victorian teams and games being played in SA, WA and Queensland. I think they were playing in NSW but that could change now.

They have tighter restrictions than us though, so only a handful of drivers could enter.

South Australia is the obvious choice, with our borders being open to all but NSW and Victoria and with the bonus of having a multi layout track...

I could be a tad biased though, and this could be more to do with my own personal agendas :sly:

Everyone is welcome here (my bias coming through now :lol:) ... You all just have to quarantine for 14 days then you can roam freely around NZ visiting all our race tracks until the end of the year :D.

Is NSW locked down too ? I thought it was just VIC.... If NSW and VIC are locked out, isn't that like 2/3rd's of your population (and race tracks) potentially locked out of the championship ?

Everyone is welcome here (my bias coming through now :lol:) ... You all just have to quarantine for 14 days then you can roam freely around NZ visiting all our race tracks until the end of the year :D.
:lol:... Unfortunately that's not the case. Even if the teams were allowed to leave Australia, which is highly unlikely, they're not allowed to enter NZ at all (no matter what our biases are unfortunately).

Is NSW locked down too ? I thought it was just VIC.... If NSW and VIC are locked out, isn't that like 2/3rd's of your population (and race tracks) potentially locked out of the championship ?
Victoria is locked down to every other state, but Sydney (and the region around SMP) has also been deemed a hot spot so they now can't travel to Queensland, NT or SA without 14 days of quarantine (that you have to pay for). WA is shut to everyone. SA is the most open place atm with Queensland, WA, NT, and Tassie being allowed in without quarantine.

In general it's a cluster ****. Edit: added map to display the state of cluster ****ness (before Sydney was declared a hot spot).

3IJBSLz.jpg

Last edited:
I was sure we were getting people in from Aussie all the time ? (I haven't been following news too closely as of late)

So I guess its just like F1 then, we have a championship but no idea of how many races we will have or where they will even be :banghead:.

Is there a race this weekend ?

Last edited:
I was sure we were getting people in from Aussie all the time ? (I haven't been following news too closely as of late)
Probably a bit like here, returned citizens and, in our case, Kiwis that live here.

So I guess its just like F1 then, we have a championship but no idea of how many races we will have or where they will even be :banghead:.
Yep, it's a moving target unfortunately :(
Is there a race this weekend ?
Yes :) SMP again. A night race on Saturday and two races on Sunday. Tyre strategy will be huge this round.

Victoria is locked down to every other state, but Sydney (and the region around SMP) has also been deemed a hot spot so they now can't travel to Queensland, NT or SA without 14 days of quarantine (that you have to pay for). WA is shut to everyone. SA is the most open place atm with Queensland, WA, NT, and Tassie being allowed in without quarantine.

I knew WA is closed off. Wasn't sure what is going on with SA.

A hub at The Bend could work. Don't they have a big motel right on pit lane? Maybe the rest of the season could be shared between The Bend, QR, Hidden Valley and Bathurst. :lol: Certainly would be better than nothing.

I knew WA is closed off. Wasn't sure what is going on with SA.

A hub at The Bend could work. Don't they have a big motel right on pit lane? Maybe the rest of the season could be shared between The Bend, QR, Hidden Valley and Bathurst. :lol: Certainly would be better than nothing.
Anythings better than nothing :)

They've got about 100 4 star rooms above pit lane at The Bend, and then there's also cabins at the onsite caravan park.

They've also been constructing some big warehouse style sheds near the entrance that could be handy. Some have motorsport related businesses in them, while others were still empty when I was last there for the Supercars test day.

No official announcement yet but it looks like Darwin will be hosting the next two of rounds of the championship across back to back weekends.

Edit: Now confirmed.

Last edited:
Driving standards have been very impressive over the last two rounds. Considering how the close the racing has been, there haven’t been any incidents larger than a couple of offs.

3 races. 3 winners. This is much more like.

Just hope that this sort of unpredictability keeps up even on low deg tracks.

Last edited:
They’ve struck gold with this format, what a great podium!
Yeah they need to stick with the changes they made. All weekend the top 10 has been a mix of drivers that are not normally there. Much greater variety and it has given people like Le Brocq the chance to pull out a victory. My advice to VASC, don't change a thing.

I'm probably in the minority here but the purist in me thinks that was just a bit too much of a 'chook lotto'. The first round at SMP was better imo. It still had some great racing and some different outcomes but it was a great deal closer to ''real'' racing than this rounds ''manufactured'' racing.

JW and SVG qualifying in 19th and 22nd without having any issues? Yeah... nah, that's not on, they're far better than that and deserve far better than that.... and I'm sure RD will have something to say about it, I would, and Barry Ryan will for sure! Fields spread by more than we've ever seen before in Quali (over a second in the top 10 and up to 3.8 over the top 15 in the shootout)? Also not on!

I know it's the same for everyone, but if they're going to run rounds like this then at the very least they need to have an outright podium at the end (I can't believe I just agreed with Mark Skaife! :embarrassed:). Scott, Nick and Fabs deserved the accolades for being the best and most consistent drivers over the three rounds.

It was good to see different people taking poles and wins but when it's manufactured it doesn't really count in my books. Kind of like Nissans wins when running different fuel to the rest of the field (no performance advantage my arse Mr. Skaife), and Rick Kelly's championship.

and Barry Ryan will for sure!
He already called it fake racing.

The reality is that without a mix up situation like this, the winners will keep on winning and the people bouncing around in the back of the pack will keep doing so. In the end that gets boring quickly (hello F1) so it's super refreshing to see some of the back markers strategize a solid finish.

He already called it fake racing.
He's right... and that's why I mentioned him.
The reality is that without a mix up situation like this, the winners will keep on winning and the people bouncing around in the back of the pack will keep doing so. In the end that gets boring quickly (hello F1) so it's super refreshing to see some of the back markers strategize a solid finish.
Would you've tied Usain Bolt's shoelaces together and make him run just so someone else can win? That's pretty much what they're doing to these guys.

The fastest and the best should win in motorsport.

Anyway, now everyones seen what strategies work in this situation it will be a moot point, except for the fake result lay it all on the line glory hunters (you know the ones, the ones that take the win while Usain Bolt's shoelaces are tied together). The top guys will all be doing the same. Monkey see, monkey do springs to mind.

I think that's going a bit overboard.
You can think what you want but it's pretty accurate if you ask me. Both are deliberately nobbling the fastest to get a different race winner.

I just read this article and this quote from Scotty stands out,
“We won the round, but yeah, just running around in 14th is a bit strange and still being able to say that’s competitive. For me, racing, I feel like it’s meant to be different.”
https://www.speedcafe.com/2020/07/20/tyre-challenges-bring-mixed-emotions-for-mclaughlin/

Both are deliberately nobbling the fastest to get a different race winner.
How so? Everyone had the same number of tires to use. How you choose to use them is up to you. You just choose the right way or the wrong way. In the end, everyone had the same chance and some were better at strategy than others.

How so? Everyone had the same number of tires to use. How you choose to use them is up to you. You just choose the right way or the wrong way. In the end, everyone had the same chance and some were better at strategy than others.
It was absolutely impossible to win all three races. How is that not nobbling them?

Do you honestly think Jack Lebrock could win if others weren't nobbled by the tyre rules?

It was absolutely impossible to win all three races. How is that not nobbling them?

Do you honestly think Jack Lebrock could win if others weren't nobbled by the tyre rules?
I guess some of us don't mind that. I enjoyed the variety up front. I guess we'll just have to disagree on this one. I have other things to do at the moment. :)

I guess some of us don't mind that. I enjoyed the variety up front. I guess we'll just have to disagree on this one. I have other things to do at the moment. :)
Fair enough. Like I mentioned, I'm more of a purist when it comes to motorsport, and I'm probably in the minority with my opinion of this last round.... and I'm fine with that. :)

I get sick of seeing the same cars winning week in week out. It's good to see some new faces battling for the win! I can't even remember the last time all DJR and Red Bull cars were classified outside the top 3.

Back